Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jones not looking to postpone Rotherham (Ed. game on)

Comments

• edited September 2
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Daniel Kanu, Karoy Anderson are the players called up. 

Only Karoy has played any meaningful minutes this season.

Will we see "Triallist A" named on the subs bench?
  • fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:
    Great news. Can watch at home via Sky. 
    Are they showing the 3pm Saturday game?
    yes as it’s an international break they can show it if 50% of games in the top 2 divisions are off and obviously there are no games in either 
    So, no CATV?
    And if not what sky channel will it be on, can't see anything currently showing on either??
    Sky Sports +
  • fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:
    Great news. Can watch at home via Sky. 
    Are they showing the 3pm Saturday game?
    yes as it’s an international break they can show it if 50% of games in the top 2 divisions are off and obviously there are no games in either 
    So, no CATV?
    And if not what sky channel will it be on, can't see anything currently showing on either??
    No games will be available in the UK on CTV this year as part of the Sky deal. When it was announced they said that all games during international windows would be broadcast. I assume this means it’ll be red button again
  • mendonca said:

has AMB actually been called up? 
  • fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:

has AMB actually been called up? 
    I don't believe so.
  • If Jones is happy to play with a slightly weakened squad, then I've no problems with that. But it has to be a football decision, and not one based on fans wanting games to be played on Saturday and not midweek.

But it is a slight risk. If we lose one of our strikers this week, our attacking options on the bench without Kanu will look very thin, especially with Chuks who can't play more than 30 minutes.
  • Glad it's on. 
    Bought tickets last week and due to holidays will be first live game of the season 
    COYA 🙌
  • If Jones is happy to play with a slightly weakened squad, then I've no problems with that. But it has to be a football decision, and not one based on fans wanting games to be played on Saturday and not midweek.

But it is a slight risk. If we lose one of our strikers this week, our attacking options on the bench without Kanu will look very thin, especially with Chuks who can't play more than 30 minutes.
    Do they? We had 3 strikers on the bench at the weekend which isn’t hugely necessary. The riskier area is midfield as with one injury we’re down to Taylor on the bench who NJ doesn’t seem to rate
  • Sky sports + red button not available on Sky Go...anyone got an idea on how this can be overcome please...🤷‍♂️...or is is just no go?
  • fenaddick said:
    If Jones is happy to play with a slightly weakened squad, then I've no problems with that. But it has to be a football decision, and not one based on fans wanting games to be played on Saturday and not midweek.

Do they? We had 3 strikers on the bench at the weekend which isn’t hugely necessary. The riskier area is midfield as with one injury we’re down to Taylor on the bench who NJ doesn’t seem to rate
    Losing Kanu reduces that to 2 strikers on the bench, one of which can only play 30 minutes, when our play this season has been about the front 2 working hard and being replaced after an hour or so. Lose a striker this week, and we could end up with only Chuks on the bench, and one of the strikers playing the full 90 which would completely change the game plan.

We have Allan Campbell as the first reserve midfielder, plus Edun as well if he doesn't want to pick Taylor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sky sports + red button not available on Sky Go...anyone got an idea on how this can be overcome please...🤷‍♂️...or is is just no go?
    You can watch via the SkySports app (although when I tried for Orient the stream was poor quality)
    Download the Sky Sports app and use that
  • Guaranteed top 2 by 5pm Saturday if we win. COYR
  • Will they change the ko time?
  • I would imagine that Jones is seeing this as a chance to bounce back quickly after the last result, there definitely is an element of risk to it but on balance I'd probably be inclined to think its worth chancing.
  • fenaddick said:
    If Jones is happy to play with a slightly weakened squad, then I've no problems with that. But it has to be a football decision, and not one based on fans wanting games to be played on Saturday and not midweek.

Losing Kanu reduces that to 2 strikers on the bench, one of which can only play 30 minutes, when our play this season has been about the front 2 working hard and being replaced after an hour or so. Lose a striker this week, and we could end up with only Chuks on the bench, and one of the strikers playing the full 90 which would completely change the game plan.

We have Allan Campbell as the first reserve midfielder, plus Edun as well if he doesn't want to pick Taylor.
    Would imagine Leaburn will be on the bench even if he can only do 15 mins.

By your midfielder logic Godden is probably the first pick to go on as a sub, then he has Aneke and Leaburn 
  • Will they change the ko time?
    No
  • edited September 2
    Wow, what a joke. We should have utilised this opportunity to give our players a much needed rest, and familiarise the new signings with our tactics.

Not happy! 
    We’ve done that previously and after two weeks of training they’ve looked like they barely know each other!
    This is true, I am however of course kidding. Would have found it ridiculous if we postponed.

CAFC_boi said:
    Wow, what a joke. We should have utilised this opportunity to give our players a much needed rest, and familiarise the new signings with our tactics.

Not happy! 
    Well which dwarf are you then? 
    Deffo grumpy 
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

By your midfielder logic Godden is probably the first pick to go on as a sub, then he has Aneke and Leaburn 
    What I meant was that if we lose a striker, that leaves us with just one striker on the bench (I'm really worried about playing Leaburn too soon).

If we lose a midfielder, Campbell will presumably start and Edun will then be on he bench.
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

What I meant was that if we lose a striker, that leaves us with just one striker on the bench (I'm really worried about playing Leaburn too soon).

If we lose a midfielder, Campbell will presumably start and Edun will then be on he bench.
    I get the worry everyone has over Leaburn but he’s had the best possible rehab and will actually need game time to get up to speed. 10/15 mins to start and then build him up but you have to do it some time and he will have had at least a fortnight of full training by then
  • Wow, what a joke. We should have utilised this opportunity to give our players a much needed rest, and familiarise the new signings with our tactics.

Not happy! 
    We’ve done that previously and after two weeks of training they’ve looked like they barely know each other!
    This is true, I am however of course kidding. Wood have found it ridiculous if we postponed.
    It wouldn't have been a ridiculous decision to postpone. NINE out of the 12 games this weekend in our division have been postponed, so that's an awful lot of managers deciding that they'd rather not play with weakened squads, and I doubt it was because all of them had lost 3 star players. Or they wanted 2 weeks on the training ground.

All of them would have had to consider the pros and cons of playing.
  • sam3110 said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if there's only 1 or 2 strikers on the bench? There's been so many times in recent seasons where there's only 1 on the pitch and none on the bench, or the ones we need to call upon are either completely useless or very young or both. 

Ahadme, Godden, TC, Aneke all being available, with a tiny chance of one of them being injured meaning one of our goalscoring academy players get a squad place, is streets ahead of where we were before
     Now they just need to start scoring goals 
  • The football on the pitch won’t be half as good as the battle on the sidelines. Who gets booked first, Evans or Jones? Will either (or both?) be sent off?
  • I think this has now become a test of Jones’ ability to motivate the squad and for the players to step up after a defeat; a test that I believe they will pass. Doesn’t necessarily mean we will win but we’ll be really happy with the performance.
  • If one of our strikers goes down we can promote one of Mbick, Dixon, Casey etc. It's not the end of the world.
  • sam3110 said:
    Sky sports + red button not available on Sky Go...anyone got an idea on how this can be overcome please...🤷‍♂️...or is is just no go?
    Download the Sky Sports app and use that
    Yes, the only way you can view it. Although when I did that onto my iPhone for the Orient game (it froze after 20 seconds. I spent pretty much the whole of the first half trying to get it back, but each time only for 20 seconds. I got fed up with it in the end and scrapped it. I had subscribed to Skysports the week before so I could watch the game when I was on holiday (in UK, with good signal) so was really pi55ed off that I couldn’t watch it. Anyone else experience that? 
  • If one of our strikers goes down we can promote one of Mbick, Dixon, Casey etc. It's not the end of the world.
    Dixon won't be available and Casey has missed the last two U21 games.

M'Bick is in good form though