Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jones not looking to postpone Rotherham (Ed. game on)

Comments

• I’m going to England Ireland game and had banked on this being chopped… when was the last time we actually played a game when there was an international break going on? I’m not sure if it’s even ever happened?
  • NabySarr said:
    Good, Rotherham are half a wreck right now. Haven't scored a league goal yet and the fans are already getting the hump with Steve Evans' antics. Feels like a good time to play them before they get themselves sorted out hopefully
    They haven’t won for 38 away games in the league (nearly 2 years!), haven’t scored this season and we haven’t conceded. This game only goes one way and it’s not good for us! 
    With that news I'm lumping all my savings on a Rotherham win. 
  • If it goes ahead I believe it will be shown on Sky by way of the red button. Win/win for me.
  • I was offered a ticket for the test match for that day. Half price. I dithered a bit but took it as there was a chance the CAFC game could be off. Happy the game is on as I no longer have the ticket; my friend cocked up and didn't have the spare he thought he did.
  • I was offered a ticket for the test match for that day. Half price. I dithered a bit but took it as there was a chance the CAFC game could be off. Happy the game is on as I no longer have the ticket; my friend cocked up and didn't have the spare he thought he did.
    I was sure it would be off so happily bought a ticket for the Oval. Hey ho, if we win I won't care. The last time I missed a Charlton game for an Oval Test we won it very late vs Hull in 2015. A repeat vs Rotherham would do nicely. 
  • How many international players including youth do Rotherham have.
  • msomerton said:
    How many international players including youth do Rotherham have.
    Looks like Clarke-Harris is the only one, and he's not been called up for Jamaica's latest games.
  • I'm going for my annual pilgrimage to SE7 but unfortunately with my wife - as she has only ever seen us lose at the Valley.  Sorry in advance.
  • If it goes ahead I believe it will be shown on Sky by way of the red button. Win/win for me.
    Is that confirmed / automatically on the red button or an assumption / hope?

I’m not sure on the rules for  international weekends. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m going to England Ireland game and had banked on this being chopped… when was the last time we actually played a game when there was an international break going on? I’m not sure if it’s even ever happened?
    Didn’t we play Swindon ( & lost ) 
    when we had 2 out International duty.
    could have been during LB reign.
  • Keep the game on and the momentum!! We’ll be fine without the 3 or 4 that aren’t there…
    it was during the Russell Slade era, we had 3 out and then came out with some nonsense that as it was a TV game it could not be called off
  • Having bought tickets for this game with the kids I sincerely hope it's not postponed.
    Is that confirmed / automatically on the red button or an assumption / hope?

I’m not sure on the rules for  international weekends. 
    Yes games played on international weekends will be on streaming.
  • edited August 31
    Sage said:
    Kanu has been called up by Sierra Leone so that’s the 3 which means it can be called off if Jones decides to. I think if everyone comes out of today injury free and another win, the game goes ahead. 
    Yep, which is exactly what it seems like Jones hinted at in the article.

“Potentially we have enough (call-ups) to call it off but it’s whether we feel that needs to be done. It will be an internal decision after the weekend, once we know officially who has been called up. And if we don’t get enough call ups then there won’t be a choice anyway.

“If we do, there will be a decision to make.”

• I think the fact Dixon isn't even in the first team plans yet and Kanu and Anderson aren't sure-fire starters, means the game goes ahead barring injury. Even if Asiimwe also gets called up, we have plenty of players to choose from. 

Mannion
    Ramsay A.Mitchell Jones Gillesphey Small
    Coventry Docherty Berry
    T.Campbell Ahadme

Maynard-Brewer Watson Edmonds-Green Edun A.Campbell Aneke Godden

Would still leave Taylor and Z.Mitchell not in the squad but potentially available
    No it won’t. It’s a 3pm kick off so it won’t be on Sky.
  • edited August 31
    If it goes ahead I believe it will be shown on Sky by way of the red button. Win/win for me.
    No it won’t. It’s a 3pm kick off so it won’t be on Sky.

The blackout doesn’t apply on international weekends.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-and-sky-sports-broadcast-rights-agreement/

With an increase in number of games, will there be any other new matches available to view that aren’t currently?

• Under the new deal, the following will be available to view:
      • 10 weekend games across the three divisions
      • All opening and final day fixtures in the Sky Bet EFL
      • All midweek league fixtures
      • All bank holiday fixtures including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
      • All fixtures played in League One & Two during international breaks
      • All Play-Off, Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy fixtures (as above)
  • Sponsored links:

• When the young squad players are away on international duty, then it gives a chance to people like Taylor, Edun and Watson to come into the Matchday 18. There's Zach Mitchell too.

Now, with a League Cup exit, squad players need games or at least matchday involvement.

• JohnnyH2 said:
    I’m going to England Ireland game and had banked on this being chopped… when was the last time we actually played a game when there was an international break going on? I’m not sure if it’s even ever happened?
    it was during the Russell Slade era, we had 3 out and then came out with some nonsense that as it was a TV game it could not be called off
    Sorry stand corrected 
    still think it shouldn’t have been played 
  • Rotherham win, Charlton set to lose…

Let’s play them while they’re out of form. That was a good plan!
  • msomerton said:
    I reckon he should ask for a postponement, give himself another week on the training ground to sort out the issues and get the new signings up to  speed with the team.
    Who Steve Evans? 
  • msomerton said:
    I reckon he should ask for a postponement, give himself another week on the training ground to sort out the issues and get the new signings up to  speed with the team.
    What new signings? - We've only got one of them
  • Going by Jones' post match comments, we'll get the game called off if Maynard-Brewer is called up by Australia because we've not backup Goalkeeper.
  • edited August 31
    Going by Jones' post match comments, we'll get the game called off if Maynard-Brewer is called up by Australia because we've not backup Goalkeeper.
    I’m not sure we won’t call it off anyway based on that interview.

He sounds proper wound up - wouldn’t be surprised if he takes the two week break and makes them all do laps of the training pitch until their legs give out on them first thing on Monday morning.
  • Going by Jones' post match comments, we'll get the game called off if Maynard-Brewer is called up by Australia because we've not backup Goalkeeper.
    Maynard-Brewer is not named in squad.
     https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/subway-socceroos-squad-opening-round-three-qualifiers-confirmed