Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jones not looking to postpone Rotherham (Ed. game on)

Comments

• msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    I reckon he should ask for a postponement, give himself another week on the training ground to sort out the issues and get the new signings up to  speed with the team.
    What new signings? - We've only got one of them
    Dixon, 7 days ago, Campbell 5 days ago.
    Dixon is with the U21s and Campbell didn't start Saturday.
    So we will be missing no first teamers.
  • msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    I reckon he should ask for a postponement, give himself another week on the training ground to sort out the issues and get the new signings up to  speed with the team.
    Pretty sure Dixon is training with the senior squad and Campbell will start soon. Campbell won't need 2 weeks to adapt to Jones though
  • I hope we play it, and I think we should. Give the players a chance to react to Saturday and bounce back straight away rather than waiting 2 weeks 
  • edited September 1
    Why would we postpone a fixture over a few bench players missing. Not even to be argumentative, but I've read multiple times that the transfer window was good, that we had decent depth, has all that changed over a single loss to Reading? Why would we need time to figure things out when we have had all pre-season to do it. None of the signings made recently are expected to dislodge any of our current starting XI.

The players going to play for their Nations, shouldn’t be near the starting Charlton XI imo, I really hope we don't postpone this.

Last thing we need is some fixture congestion. Save it for when we actually need it, Rotherham are there for the taking. It will be properly disappointing if Jones decides to postpone this.
    Berry and Tennai are ill, with potentially others picking it up if it spreads across the squad. Anderson and Kanu (plus Dixon) are gone on international duty. Ash is on standby.

If you’re comfortable with one change: Campbell going straight into the starting XI and the below being the bench, then yes we should play the match.

Z. Mitchell, Asiimwe, REG, Terry Taylor, Edun, Godden, Aneke
  • Why would we postpone a fixture over a few bench players missing. Not even to be argumentative, but I've read multiple times that the transfer window was good, that we had decent depth, has all that changed over a single loss to Reading? Why would we need time to figure things out when we have had all pre-season to do it. None of the signings made recently are expected to dislodge any of our current starting XI.

The players going to play for their Nations, shouldn’t be near the starting Charlton XI imo, I really hope we don't postpone this.

Last thing we need is some fixture congestion. Save it for when we actually need it, Rotherham are there for the taking. It will be properly disappointing if Jones decides to postpone this.
    Berry and Tennai are ill, with potentially others picking it up if it spreads across the squad. Anderson and Kanu (plus Dixon) are gone on international duty. Ash is on standby.

If you’re comfortable with one change: Campbell going straight into the starting XI and the below being the bench, then yes we should play the match.

Well it ain't up to me, but I hope Jones is comfortable with it, as Taylor deserves a chance to show his worth, and Campbell should be fine to hop in. 

I could understand if we were looking at going without Mitchell, Coventry and Docherty as an example, but fringe players, no way.

Come on Jones, make it happen, let's bounce back.
  • Why would we postpone a fixture over a few bench players missing. Not even to be argumentative, but I've read multiple times that the transfer window was good, that we had decent depth, has all that changed over a single loss to Reading? Why would we need time to figure things out when we have had all pre-season to do it. None of the signings made recently are expected to dislodge any of our current starting XI.

Well it ain't up to me, but I hope Jones is comfortable with it, as Taylor deserves a chance to show his worth, and Campbell should be fine to hop in. 

I could understand if we were looking at going without Mitchell, Coventry and Docherty as an example, but fringe players, no way.

Is Campbell even fit? Did he play any pre-season for Luton? If not then I really doubt he will be fine to just put straight into the starting eleven 
  • NabySarr said:
    Why would we postpone a fixture over a few bench players missing. Not even to be argumentative, but I've read multiple times that the transfer window was good, that we had decent depth, has all that changed over a single loss to Reading? Why would we need time to figure things out when we have had all pre-season to do it. None of the signings made recently are expected to dislodge any of our current starting XI.

Is Campbell even fit? Did he play any pre-season for Luton? If not then I really doubt he will be fine to just put straight into the starting eleven 
    I'd like to assume we are out of the cycle of signings players who aren't fit enough to start football matches who have experience in league football. 

Even if he isn't, I'd still want it to go ahead, get an academy lad to step up to the bench, and start Taylor. 
  • edited September 1

Last thing we need is some fixture congestion. Save it for when we actually need it, Rotherham are there for the taking. 
    Only 3 games are being played on Saturday in L1 (including ours) so fixture congestion is irrelevant  as it'll affect nearly all of of the division.

How are Rotherham there for the taking when they beat Huddersfield yesterday, whil we lost?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 1

Last thing we need is some fixture congestion. Save it for when we actually need it, Rotherham are there for the taking. 
    Only 3 games are being played on Saturday in L1 (including ours) so fixture congestion is irrelevant  as it'll affect nearly all of of the division.

How are Rotherham there for the taking when they beat Huddersfield yesterday, whil we lost?
    Indeed - the last thing Rotherham would want is a two week break after picking up a win finally at the weekend. They’ll be wanting to try and build some momentum now.

I can see arguments both ways and I definitely do want some Charlton football to watch next Saturday. But I’ll trust Jones and his manic desire to win games to make the best decision on whether we play or postpone.

If we play, and win, we’d be in second place at worst.
  • edited September 1

It's not irrelevant, as it means if we play this, we won't have to worry about that double week fixture later down the line, and if we can win, we will have points in the bank compared to other teams playing catch up, who will hopefully be chasing us as the season goes on. 

Well, until a few days ago, people were mocking Rotherhams transfer window, and claiming their xG means nothing, they win one game, and now we should throw caution at them? 

We will be as ready as we ever could be on Saturday, if we aren't, then we have done something wrong. Reading just beat us with a naff pre-season, players allegedly not getting paid, and a depleted squad. It's an excuse to postpone this game. Rotherham are there for the taking.
  • Just play games
    That’s a given but on what day
  • Game is in 5 days and we still don't know if its going ahead?!
  • Game is in 5 days and we still don't know if it’s going ahead?!
    Airman said today is the deadline to confirm whether it will be cancelled - so we will know soon enough, either way. 
  • Hope we go for it and see Taylor and Leaburn on the bench as a result. Rotherham will get stronger as the season progresses no matter who is at the helm in weeks and months to come, so taking them early no bad thing…
  • Question, If the game is postponed can I get a refund if it's moved to an evening game? 7:45 kick off is past the kids bedtime on school nights and they would be very, very late home c.11:30pm.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Question, If the game is postponed can I get a refund if it's moved to an evening game? 7:45 kick off is past the kids bedtime on school nights and they would be very, very late home c.11:30pm.

If a match ticket for the game yes but dont think on a season ticket. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Question, If the game is postponed can I get a refund if it's moved to an evening game? 7:45 kick off is past the kids bedtime on school nights and they would be very, very late home c.11:30pm.

If a match ticket for the game yes but dont think on a season ticket. 
    Thanks, yeah only have match tix

• Last thing we need is some fixture congestion. Save it for when we actually need it, Rotherham are there for the taking. 

It's not irrelevant, as it means if we play this, we won't have to worry about that double week fixture later down the line, and if we can win, we will have points in the bank compared to other teams playing catch up, who will hopefully be chasing us as the season goes on. 

Well, until a few days ago, people were mocking Rotherhams transfer window, and claiming their xG means nothing, they win one game, and now we should throw caution at them? 

We will be as ready as we ever could be on Saturday, if we aren't, then we have done something wrong. Reading just beat us with a naff pre-season, players allegedly not getting paid, and a depleted squad. It's an excuse to postpone this game. Rotherham are there for the taking.
    And what if we narrowly lose against promotion rivals?

If NJ is confident we can still beat Rotherham then fine, but a lot of the comments here seem to be from people who want to watch games on a Saturday afternoon rather than a Tuesday evening.

• Last thing we need is some fixture congestion. Save it for when we actually need it, Rotherham are there for the taking. 

And what if we narrowly lose against promotion rivals?

If NJ is confident we can still beat Rotherham then fine, but a lot of the comments here seem to be from people who want to watch games on a Saturday afternoon rather than a Tuesday evening.

Saturday attendances are nearly always bigger than Tuesday night games,  plus it's far more difficult for away fans to attend. 
    As Airman said in an earlier post postponing the game will probably cost the club in the region of 20k.
    The only reason I can see for calling a game off is if you are missing players who would be in the starting eleven,  other than that I think the game should go ahead. 
  • msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    Is this true, Dixon with u21s?
  • edited September 2
    Redhenry said:
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    Is this true, Dixon with u21s?
    No, he’s in the video of the senior squad coming out of the senior dressing room at SL. He’ll probably play some U21 games though which is probably where the confusion has come from 
  • Selfishly I hope it's off as I can't make it. From Jones' comments on Saturday I would think he'd look to postpone it. Maybe his mind will have changed after a Sunday off.
  • it gives Leaburn and Edwards more time to get match fit