Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jones not looking to postpone Rotherham (Ed. game on)

Comments

• msomerton said:
    I reckon he should ask for a postponement, give himself another week on the training ground to sort out the issues and get the new signings up to  speed with the team.
    What new signings? - We've only got one of them
    Dixon, 7 days ago, Campbell 5 days ago.
  • One of our tea ladies has been called up for the Women's Institute September fair, so we're calling the game off 
  • edited August 31
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    I reckon he should ask for a postponement, give himself another week on the training ground to sort out the issues and get the new signings up to  speed with the team.
    What new signings? - We've only got one of them
    Dixon, 7 days ago, Campbell 5 days ago.
    Well seeing that Dixon is going to be part of the Development Squad for a while, I'd only really consider Campbell as the one to have the immediate impact.
  • Nathan Jones suggesting that the Rotherham may be called off in his post match comments 
  • before the game today I thought Rotherham would go ahead regardless, but based on today's performance and noticeable improvement when Anderson came off the bench i'm not too sure we can do without him if it can be helped. Starting to think it may get called off now instead which won't be a bad thing, gives Edwards a bit more recovery time as well.
  • I suppose Anderson and Kanu both got on today (albeit the latter at 2-0 down near the end) and @MartinCAFC makes a good point about Josh Edwards. We’ll have to see but the position no longer looks as clear cut as it did before today’s game.
  • Postponing it with less than a weeks notice would be poor tbh. Anderson and Kanu have not been starters so far 
    Who is the other call up as I thought I read that AMB hasn't been called up.

And don't say Dixon because he hasn't played a minute of any football for CAFC yet. 

• Sponsored links:

• I also think maybe AMB is on a standby list incase one of the Aus keepers called up does get injured, hence why NJ was talking about waiting to see how we are for keepers
  • When do we get a final decision / when's the latest it can be postponed for call ups?
  • fenaddick said:
    I also think maybe AMB is on a standby list incase one of the Aus keepers called up does get injured, hence why NJ was talking about waiting to see how we are for keepers
    Given that they're playing in Australia, surely if they do have a need to call up a backup as 3rd choice surely common sense would lead them to call up an Aussie based keeper rather than have a guy fly 20 hours across the world to do nothing.
  • 801912601 said:
    Nathan Jones suggesting that the Rotherham may be called off in his post match comments 
    Seems to have backtracked a bit after yesterday’s performance.
  • When do we get a final decision / when's the latest it can be postponed for call ups?
    Monday is the cut-off.
    Monday is the cut-off.
    Great, thank you
  • Think after yesterday and the debacle performance, Nathan could be calling it off if possible, and use the time to instill some nous into the side...
  • edited September 1
    I would guess these postponements cost the club about £20k in lost income, maybe more, based on lower ticket sales for the midweek games. It should be a football decision, of course, but it’s bad business. So is losing the game because of a depleted squad, though.
  • Postponing it with less than a weeks notice would be poor tbh. Anderson and Kanu have not been starters so far 

And don't say Dixon because he hasn't played a minute of any football for CAFC yet. 

Jones says it here from about 2:26ish - https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1829924483227931000?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1829924483227931000|twgr^d6a2f03c2da576be9a2d69f760d1996d4d90ec31|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/28268/reading-charlton-match-thread-reaction?page=8
  • All international weekends should be called off and the season extended by a couple of weeks.

why should we miss Anderson, Dixon and Kanu from our squad, regardless whether they are starting. 
  • Sponsored links:

And here about Dixon - https://www.charltonafc.com/news/charlton-duo-named-jamaica-squad 

• All international weekends should be called off and the season extended by a couple of weeks.

why should we miss Anderson, Dixon and Kanu from our squad, regardless whether they are starting. 
    I agree - all games should be cancelled and these weekends should be used to play the Micky Mouse games instead
    its crazy we are less than a week away from our next game and still don’t if it’s going ahead or not !
  • Well if we want change up top next game then Kanu going off to the international stuff blows that..... I reckon it's off but who knows but they're leaving it late. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I’m going to England Ireland game and had banked on this being chopped… when was the last time we actually played a game when there was an international break going on? I’m not sure if it’s even ever happened?
    Didn’t we play Swindon ( & lost ) 
    when we had 2 out International duty.
    could have been during LB reign.
    it was during the Russell Slade era, we had 3 out and then came out with some nonsense that as it was a TV game it could not be called off
    Sorry stand corrected 
    still think it shouldn’t have been played 
    Agreed, like I said it was a nonsense, probably a KM decision 
  • I was at the game yesterday and it was a below par performance and NJ was rightly annoyed in his post match interview. 
    The best way to get a performance like that out of your system is to train hard this week and play the game next Saturday. 
    I'd expect a decent home crowd like at the previous two home games with the crowd getting right behind the team.
    None of our players called up for international games would  be in our starting eleven so let's play the game and put yesterday's game behind us. 
    Losing Anderson and Kanu significantly weakens out bench. One of our strikers gets a knock this week, and we'll just have Chuks on the bench.
  • How many times have we lost the next match after a postponement for internationals ? 

It's a curse on Charlton, dontcha know ! 
  • Postpone it and get the new guys up to speed. Probably a good chance Campbell ends up a starter
  • Its a gamble to be honest, we didnt play great yesterday. Although felt we were getting in to the game then a moment of magic from Savage completely shifts things. All that said the gamble is you cancel the match saturday and give the players an extra week ? ok we train them and try to sort things out but also create more pressure on them to give a performance in two weeks or we say bad matches happen, I mean we beat Derby last year away and we were shocking, and view Saturday as a chance to prove themselves.