Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    edited June 1
    Players lying on exotic beaches considering their options. If they are in demand they will let their agents negotiate the best deals. Then it's do they like a certain club or chase the money. 
    Would prefer players how are sitting on exotic beaches in Canvey Island if I'm honest 😀
  • Options
    There does seem to be an obsession with Rotherham here for some reason…🤔
  • Options
    They've been going through the rumour Mill Moor than most, even the Taylor-linked WimbleDon. Valley rumours are thin on the ground, and will be until the players get back from New York or wherever. That leaves us with too much time on our hands to obsess about Rotherham...
  • Options
    edited June 1
    Think it's a little premature to be throwing toys out of prams. 

But history hasn't really been on the side of the 'let's just hope for the best' crowd. Especially last year when anyone critical of the summer window was shouted down because the takeover had just happened. 
    I think this is a good summary of the misinterpretation people who spend all summer doomsaying on here engage in on an annual basis. The people who refuse to panic and weep and clog this thread up with proclamations of fear and misery, which is mostly done by those who do it so they can then later on tell people that they were right, don't actually have an effect on the window. The ones who say 'not much point panicking, let's hope the transfers are good' are generally people who don't want the entire transfer window's rumours filled with abject misery because in the end it doesn't un-sign players and it doesn't turn back time. I can't affect our transfer decisions, but I can definitely enjoy Charlton Life and it can be very difficult to do that when there's posters setting their stalls out at the end of May with what I assume in some cases will be daily narcissism posts of 'we haven't signed anyone yet, we never do, I'm always right about this, abandon all hope'. It's boring and repetitive and it means that in amongst the rumours and the discussions about how we might play you've got to dodge around pages and pages of screeching. I just want to enjoy my summer man
    Best stay off CL at least until the season starts  :#
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Honestly am surprised Jacko would want to work with Taylor. 
    Can’t say I am. Bowyer doesn’t have a problem with Taylor and I think most of the players and staff from the time will feel the same. I hate to say it but it means more to fans than the team 
    What sent us down was not Lyle Taylor’s refusal to play it was Bowyers and the clubs decision to let him go and play for Montserrat - a country with less people than we can accommodate in the Covered End. That club decision got us relegated because he got injured and missed c 12 games. 
    Notts Forest never let him go there and they were also in the championship at the same time 
    it was a shocking error of judgement on the part of the club and will probably end up having cost us many millions 

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    They've been going through the rumour Mill Moor than most, even the Taylor-linked WimbleDon. Valley rumours are thin on the ground, and will be until the players get back from New York or wherever. That leaves us with too much time on our hands to obsess about Rotherham...
    Nice little joke there btw.
  • Options
    edited June 1
    One of my best mates and soon to be business partner is the Cousin of Mat Sadler and has been told Charlton wb on the way to Walsall, I can only assume edun? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Honestly am surprised Jacko would want to work with Taylor.

Why? Bowyer worked with him again. Plus he's a legend at Wimbledon
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    One of my best mates and soon to be business partner is the Cousin of Mat Sadler and has been told Charlton wb on the way to Walsall, I can only assume edun? 
    Or a loan for Asiimwe?
    Potentially ill ask for more details but cant promise anything more!

In regards to my other football contacts, nothing Charlton related in regards to Preston or Dion Charles.
  • Options
    Players lying on exotic beaches considering their options. If they are in demand they will let their agents negotiate the best deals. Then it's do they like a certain club or chase the money. 
    If that's the case why have Rotherham signed 7 players..?

Must be because Rotherham is such a nice place to live.
     Well I never, can’t believe Golfies moving to Rotherham.
  • Options
    Think it's a little premature to be throwing toys out of prams. 

But history hasn't really been on the side of the 'let's just hope for the best' crowd. Especially last year when anyone critical of the summer window was shouted down because the takeover had just happened. 
    I think this is a good summary of the misinterpretation people who spend all summer doomsaying on here engage in on an annual basis. The people who refuse to panic and weep and clog this thread up with proclamations of fear and misery, which is mostly done by those who do it so they can then later on tell people that they were right, don't actually have an effect on the window. The ones who say 'not much point panicking, let's hope the transfers are good' are generally people who don't want the entire transfer window's rumours filled with abject misery because in the end it doesn't un-sign players and it doesn't turn back time. I can't affect our transfer decisions, but I can definitely enjoy Charlton Life and it can be very difficult to do that when there's posters setting their stalls out at the end of May with what I assume in some cases will be daily narcissism posts of 'we haven't signed anyone yet, we never do, I'm always right about this, abandon all hope'. It's boring and repetitive and it means that in amongst the rumours and the discussions about how we might play you've got to dodge around pages and pages of screeching. I just want to enjoy my summer man

• Options
    He gets too hung up on them Roan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair I get the sense that no one will be happier to be proved wrong than @golfaddick, but his deadline seems to move forward every year!
    My deadline never changes. 

Always want the majority of the squad assembled before they go away on their overseas bonding trip. Then a few more on before season starts. Last couple (usually loans) before end of August.

Go back over the past summer transfer threads & you'll find I am very consistent on this. 

This time the manager actually agrees with me & had publicly said so. Just hoping he is as good as his word as we need 6-8 players in this month. Then another 2 or 3 before the season starts. 

And before anyone starts "but x,y&z haven't signed anyone yet..." it might have escaped your attention that maybe, just maybe, we have to sign more than most other clubs BECAUSE WE HAVE TO REPLACE A LOT OF USELESS PLAYERS WHO NEARLY GOT US RELEGATED LAST SEASON.   

And breathe.....
    Everyone agrees that it’s best to get the RIGHT players in as early as possible.
    No one agrees with shitting your pants on the 1st June.

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Would like Wilks, but he has always previously played up north. Would he come south?
    It'd probably do him good. He's had a career pottering around almost every yorkshire club and his family history doesn't help. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    5 by the end of June. GK,CB,LB and 2 CMs
    If so then that goes against all that Nathan Jones has said about getting the bulk of the squad assembled before pre-season starts. 

We are now leaving May - a month after the season ended and we are lighter than we were at the start as we have let players go but not recruited any.

Once again, "getting our business done early" seems to be just words. As they say, talk is cheap. 
    How do  you know whether we have already got players lined up waiting to sign. How about bring positive for once. I don't think you would be happy if we were successful. 
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative. Purely pointing out the difference between what has been said & what is currently (not) happening. 

I'm still expecting a number of signings before July. I just dont think they will be the quality or enough of them to mount a promotion challenge. 

There are decent signings out there to be had at any point. I'm sure Jones and the scouting team are on it with cards being held firmly to there chest.

You have absolutely no idea what shape the squad will be in come start of the season. 

Just take a breath and try cheer up a little, you might even like it...
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    5 by the end of June. GK,CB,LB and 2 CMs
    If so then that goes against all that Nathan Jones has said about getting the bulk of the squad assembled before pre-season starts. 

We are now leaving May - a month after the season ended and we are lighter than we were at the start as we have let players go but not recruited any.

Once again, "getting our business done early" seems to be just words. As they say, talk is cheap. 
    How do  you know whether we have already got players lined up waiting to sign. How about bring positive for once. I don't think you would be happy if we were successful. 
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative. Purely pointing out the difference between what has been said & what is currently (not) happening. 

I'm still expecting a number of signings before July. I just dont think they will be the quality or enough of them to mount a promotion challenge. 

There are decent signings out there to be had at any point. I'm sure Jones and the scouting team are on it with cards being held firmly to there chest.

You have absolutely no idea what shape the squad will be in come start of the season. 

Just take a breath and try cheer up a little, you might even like it...
    not likely.
  • Options
    edited June 2

Every year I lose money backing Charlton for promotion, barring 2019) so I thought I’d avoid having a bet this year. But couldn’t resist a peek at the odds. They make fairly grim reading.   

Latest Paddy Power odds:

Birmingham 3/1

Bolton 8/1

Huddersfield 8/1

Wrexham 11/1

Peterborough 12/1

Rotherham 12/1

Reading 14/1

Barnsley 14/1

Charlton 16/1

Stockport 18/1

Makes pretty depressing reading. 

It’s going to take a lot of good signings to shift those odds. 

• Options
    edited June 2
    Surely the whole point of this thread is hearing differing  opinions, and adding to or subtracting from the discussion,...Glass half full or Half empty stuff, the consensus is to get whats best for the club, this we can agree on...can't we
    No it isn’t the whole point.
    It’s the Charlton transfer rumours thread.

• Options
    There's some erm interesting odds there. Reading without a takeover won't be that high,  Wrexham are there on hype alone - I'd expect Stockport to finish above them. Barnsley it remains to be seen how Darrell Clarke does there. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Every year I lose money backing Charlton for promotion, barring 2019) so I thought I’d avoid having a bet this year. But couldn’t resist a peek at the odds. They make fairly grim reading.   

Latest Paddy Power odds:

Birmingham 3/1

Bolton 8/1

Huddersfield 8/1

Wrexham 11/1

Peterborough 12/1

Rotherham 12/1

Reading 14/1

Barnsley 14/1

Charlton 16/1

Stockport 18/1

Wrexham are 4th favourites based on hype, not football ability. 

9th favourites from bookies doesn’t mean we will finish 9th!
    Of course it doesn’t, but it means that we’re rated 9th best in L1 by PP’s football dept. 
    If they’ve got it wrong then people will take the 16/1 currently available, and the odds might shift. 
    I’ll now have a couple of quid e/w, more in hope than expectation, like I normally do, despite intending not to. 
  • Options
    edited June 2
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Latest Paddy Power odds:

Birmingham 3/1

Bolton 8/1

Huddersfield 8/1

Wrexham 11/1

Peterborough 12/1

Rotherham 12/1

Reading 14/1

Barnsley 14/1

Charlton 16/1

Stockport 18/1

Wrexham are 4th favourites based on hype, not football ability. 

9th favourites from bookies doesn’t mean we will finish 9th!
    Of course it doesn’t, but it means that we’re rated 9th best in L1 by PP’s football dept. 
    If they’ve got it wrong then people will take the 16/1 currently available, and the odds might shift. 
    I’ll now have a couple of quid e/w, more in hope than expectation, like I normally do, despite intending not to. 

Chill, once Golfie gets his 50p on, we'll be up there with Bolton...🙄