Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Do we know that we are definitely going to get a cut of Gomez fee ...
    Talking to one of the UK Directors last week it seems we will although they didn't mention, probably because they don't yet know, how much it would be.

My guesstimate is:

We've been told that we get 20% of any profit by Cawley.

We got £3.5m IIRC so the profit on a £50m deal would be £46.5m

Our 20% would be £9.3m

But wait

Gomez hasn't been sold yet

He may not go for as much as £50m (he may also go for more)

Crucially, we won't get £9.3m up front.

Large transfer fees are usually paid over the life time of a contract so Liverpool, and so us, get, AS AN EXAMPLE,  50% upfront and the remaining half spread over the remaining four years of Joe's contract. Again, an assumption that it is a five year deal.

In my example that would mean we get £4.65m now and £1.635m per year for each of the next four seasons.

So a very big boost to the coffers now to either fund transfer and wages or to fund the more important tarmacing of the west stand car park (£750k well spent you'll all agree) or to lower the owners annual losses plus a very handy guaranteed sum each year for four years.

Just an EXAMPLE, NOT FACT.

WIOTOS

We can bank it on our books any way we wish though, Liverpool would probably put it in their accounts as the whole £50m rather than instalments but in reality this is still a bit of an oversimplification. There will be a set fee and then clauses based on appearances, club achievement etc. Although that would mean a smaller windfall now it could be sign as virtually guaranteed money for Jan 2026 if it was based on him hitting 50 appearances for example. 

The important bit is we'll get a decent chunk of money that needs to be spent well!
  • If there aren't any options for Fraser to go to Scotland I can see him signing for MK Dons or Burton on loan.

2 clubs he's played well for in the past, if he impresses there would likely be interest from Scotland in January. 
    What’s the point of that when his family are living in Scotland there 3/4 teams that want him but can’t get near what we pay him 
  • fenaddick said:
    Do we know that we are definitely going to get a cut of Gomez fee ...
    Talking to one of the UK Directors last week it seems we will although they didn't mention, probably because they don't yet know, how much it would be.

My guesstimate is:

Our 20% would be £9.3m

But wait

Large transfer fees are usually paid over the life time of a contract so Liverpool, and so us, get, AS AN EXAMPLE,  50% upfront and the remaining half spread over the remaining four years of Joe's contract. Again, an assumption that it is a five year deal.

In my example that would mean we get £4.65m now and £1.635m per year for each of the next four seasons.

So a very big boost to the coffers now to either fund transfer and wages or to fund the more important tarmacing of the west stand car park (£750k well spent you'll all agree) or to lower the owners annual losses plus a very handy guaranteed sum each year for four years.

WIOTOS

We can bank it on our books any way we wish though, Liverpool would probably put it in their accounts as the whole £50m rather than instalments but in reality this is still a bit of an oversimplification. There will be a set fee and then clauses based on appearances, club achievement etc. Although that would mean a smaller windfall now it could be sign as virtually guaranteed money for Jan 2026 if it was based on him hitting 50 appearances for example. 

The important bit is we'll get a decent chunk of money that needs to be spent well!
    I'm not an accountant (thank Darwin) but I think the payments would be listed in the accounts and the club could also factor (sell) any future payments to use it now.
  • Ferryman said:
    PopIcon said:
    Got to be honest, I am somewhat underwhelmed so far. We have bought in 7 new players after finishing in our worst league position for 96 years last season and losing 3 of our best players in CBT, May and Dobson.
    To put that into perspective Bolton who narrowly missed promotion have bought in 8 players so more than us.
    Yes, I know we bought in 7 in January, but 3 (Ward, Bakinson, Fiorini) have gone and one (Gillesphy) just isn't that good.
    NJ said this summer would be a huge rebuild as he wanted the squad in a position where we would only tinker in future windows; it doesn't feel like that when we have bought in less than most other teams in L1 have. 
    Meanwhile Small, Mitchell, Jones and Leaburn are in the final 12 months of their contracts and we are stuck with a number of players we don't want.
    The squad for me looks ok and workmanlike but severely lacking in real quality.
     I hope to be proved wrong.
    CBT and Dobson not missed they are were seen as very good players within the Charlton fan base , but not by the wider football  world … what we brought in is quality and not deadwood like before .. players contacts are not a concern this early in the season.. 
    Not true.

CBT signed for Derby, the last time i looked they were a Championship team. 

Phil Parkinson tried to sign Dobson last year. 
    He might have signed for Derby but how often does he play?
    Derby fans want him sent back … the manager was planning to play him
    as a wing back !!!!
    I'd have him back at Charlton 
    Really after he pretended to be injured so he didn’t have to play to force his move back up north .. 
  • People keep saying Fraser wants to break his contract, I’m sure he is happy to stay on it but given the opportunity would move to Scotland to play up there. This isn’t a situation where Scott is refusing to play.
    Good, because he'll be perfect cannon fodder for the BSM Cup.
  • Ferryman said:
    PopIcon said:
    Got to be honest, I am somewhat underwhelmed so far. We have bought in 7 new players after finishing in our worst league position for 96 years last season and losing 3 of our best players in CBT, May and Dobson.
    To put that into perspective Bolton who narrowly missed promotion have bought in 8 players so more than us.
    Yes, I know we bought in 7 in January, but 3 (Ward, Bakinson, Fiorini) have gone and one (Gillesphy) just isn't that good.
    NJ said this summer would be a huge rebuild as he wanted the squad in a position where we would only tinker in future windows; it doesn't feel like that when we have bought in less than most other teams in L1 have. 
    Meanwhile Small, Mitchell, Jones and Leaburn are in the final 12 months of their contracts and we are stuck with a number of players we don't want.
    The squad for me looks ok and workmanlike but severely lacking in real quality.
     I hope to be proved wrong.
    CBT and Dobson not missed they are were seen as very good players within the Charlton fan base , but not by the wider football  world … what we brought in is quality and not deadwood like before .. players contacts are not a concern this early in the season.. 
    Not true.

CBT signed for Derby, the last time i looked they were a Championship team. 

Phil Parkinson tried to sign Dobson last year. 
    He might have signed for Derby but how often does he play?
    Derby fans want him sent back … the manager was planning to play him
    as a wing back !!!!
    I'd have him back at Charlton 
    Really after he pretended to be injured so he didn’t have to play to force his move back up north .. 
    He was already as good as gone by then and made it clear long before that he wasn't renewing here to move back up north.
  • fenaddick said:
    Do we know that we are definitely going to get a cut of Gomez fee ...

My guesstimate is:

Our 20% would be £9.3m

But wait

WIOTOS

I'm not an accountant (thank Darwin) but I think the payments would be listed in the accounts and the club could also factor (sell) any future payments to use it now.
    I'm not an accountant either but that's the one of the reason PL clubs are selling youngsters for extraordinary sums to meet PSR rules. It counts as pure profit because they didn't pay a fee to start with AND they can whack the whole amount on their books now. They then amortise any signings they make over the length of the contract (which is one of the reasons for Chelsea's 8 year contracts).
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Dixon will be on the bench vs Bolton.
    I’d be surprised if he’s thrown in that early.
    So would I but I guess he might be training with the squad and if you’re good enough, you’re old enough🤞🏼
  • Scoham said:
    I’d be surprised if we see him before a couple of months.
  • Scoham said:
    Maybe but that’s more down to how well he adapts. If he’s scoring 2/3 goals every u21 game then like Lookman was he won’t be waiting long for a chance in the first team.

It’ll be interesting to see how long his contract is assuming it goes through. If he’s as good as some have said then I’d expect it to be 3 or 4 years.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I expect Dixon to be announced tomorrow. And I know Jones is very impressed with him in training.. wouldn’t be surprised if we see him on the bench pretty quickly, and used as an impact/game changer 
    Excellent news. I’m surprised but very pleased.
  • Chunes said:
    Where's Dixon going to play?
    Dock Green...🤦‍♂️
    Evening fixtures presumably...
    Evening. All fixtures. 
  • edited August 19
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Maybe but that’s more down to how well he adapts. If he’s scoring 2/3 goals every u21 game then like Lookman was he won’t be waiting long for a chance in the first team.

It’ll be interesting to see how long his contract is assuming it goes through. If he’s as good as some have said then I’d expect it to be 3 or 4 years.
    I imagine a long contract probably helps a visa too 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dont know what they're like for that position, but be ideal for us if Bromley are interested

Let him play against us in the EFL Trophy if he goes there
  • edited August 19
    If it's not a bench, it will be a nice red seat with a cushion.

• Dont know what they're like for that position, but be ideal for us if Bromley are interested

Bromley have already signed a right back on loan (from Palace) so not sure that would be a goer. 
  • edited August 19
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I expect Dixon to be announced tomorrow. And I know Jones is very impressed with him in training.. wouldn’t be surprised if we see him on the bench pretty quickly, and used as an impact/game changer 
    But then at 19 as fully fledged Jamaica international player, 8 senior caps and 2 goals inside the last 6 months, maybe he's more ready than  many suppose.
    I mean, it's not that he's just been plucked from the obscurity of English non-league. 

No doubt NJ will need to ensure his physique and fitness is ready for the intensity of the gameplan. 

• Perfect, give him a years football to develop and hope he comes back above Watson in the pecking order
  • Begovic no go 

Bromley have already signed a right back on loan (from Palace) so not sure that would be a goer. 
    Quality assist to set up one of the Bromley goals at the weekend as well. 
  • FAVADDICK said:
    Begovic no go 
    My gut reaction to that is relief. I’m not sure I’d want him specifically ahead of Mannion and he’d be an expensive deputy.
  • Oggy Red said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    But then at 19 as fully fledged Jamaica international player, 8 senior caps and 2 goals inside the last 6 months, maybe he's more ready than  many suppose.
    I mean, it's not that he's just been plucked from the obscurity of English non-league. 

No doubt NJ will need to ensure his physique and fitness is ready for the intensity of the gameplan. 

All true but he has been plucked from the relative obscurity of the Jamaican League. I think he’ll find even League One football considerably a higher standard. Personally I can’t wait to see him but I think a lot of people are expecting a bit too much a bit too soon. 
    I agree with you, Shooters, not to expect too much too soon ...... but with his busy international summer, he may be more 'oven ready' than many people believe.

Anyway, it's all in the hands of NJ and Will Abbott. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!