Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• To the why don’t Tottenham’s want him in jan comment

in jan he had been struggling in Scotland. I’m assuming he would still have been on their radar but they were not interested.

he joined us, did well and their interest gets reignited. Not a difficult concept to understand 
    That’d be some pretty poor scouting.

In out in out - he’s good, no he’s bad, no he’s good again…
    I would say sensible scouting. Player on radar, talented but not going through a bad patch, still young, keep on monitoring and he improves at a new club, start looking at him again. I would rather Charlton do that than buy another Charlie Kirk 
  • edited May 14
    Small put in a few decent appearances but let’s not go overboard, we’ve not uncovered the next Roberto Carlos. 

Can’t believe Prem clubs would show fee paying interest at this stage tbh. A further settled half season impressing maybe, but not off the back of just a dozen L1 appearances after a number of question marks against his previous 
    Agree 100%. He looked very competent for his age and like he might have a high ceiling but he wasn't tearing the league up. He needs more games. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Carl Jenkinson played 9 League and Cup games whilst in the third tier of English football whilst with Charlton Athletic and went to Arsenal for £1m

Small is better than Jenkinson at this stage of their careers and it’s not out of the question why clubs are being linked with him. He’s a talented player who with the correct mindset will go on to better things.

Maybe he’s learned a few lessons whilst with Everton and Southampton and will be better for it

Either way it’s a win for the club on the financial front. Pick up him on a free and make a substantial six figure profit a few months later.

It’s either him or Leaburn that will go in this summer or in January that will bring a tidy fee in.

It depends how bothered he is about signing the new contract we've offered really. If he wants to sign with us then he will, but if not then he only has one enforced year left on his deal, loves a move and no team will be in any particular rush to get him right now. A team can just tell him to play a season's L1 football and then they'll pick him up on a free in the summer on a decent wage that he's happy with. A Prem team would loan him out anyway so just having him parked at Charlton for a season before a free transfer isn't really any different. I don't think he's been good enough that there will be some kind of early bidding war so I really don't know why any team would bother throwing money at him now. Why pay 6 figures when you can pick him up for free aged 21 with a season's football under his belt? If he reverts to his reported poor previous attitude then you're also not stuck with him. This season is his audition to show he's got his brain in gear, 14 games isn't going to convince teams after the previous 3 years; he had 14 appearances at St Mirren too, they re-signed him on loan the next season and he was terrible and got taken back after 5 games in 6 months
  • Clubs that wouldn't use him this year (i.e Premier League clubs) have no reason to sign him in the summer. Just get him for free on a pre-contract in Jan to to play next year with a years free experience with us. 
    Can’t sign a pre-contract with a British club until the final month of his contract.
  • Taylor Moore
  • I can see us selling him in January and making a profit. I also have faith that NJ is sensible enough to already be looking for a replacement if needed
  • Sponsored links:

• Taylor Moore
    What have you heard?
  • The irony is that the first player that Nathan Jones brought in, is the first Charlton player in about five seasons to excite any interest from higher clubs.

Most of Scott's and Sandgaard junior's  top signings we struggle to give away for free. 
    I thought Martin claimed he uncovered George Dobson 
  • Taylor Moore
    Passes the height test, defender, 26 so got experience but also potential for improvement. Seems just about obscure/out there enough it could be plausible.
  • LTKapal said:
    The irony is that the first player that Nathan Jones brought in, is the first Charlton player in about five seasons to excite any interest from higher clubs.

Most of Scott's and Sandgaard junior's  top signings we struggle to give away for free. 
    I thought Martin claimed he uncovered George Dobson 
    Yeah but that was only because he'd heard he slept in the buff and wanted a sneaky peek under the duvet.
  • Is that it for rumours on Small or is that the only rumour concerning Charlton and everyone is just bored 🤔
  • Small put in a few decent appearances but let’s not go overboard, we’ve not uncovered the next Roberto Carlos. 

Can’t believe Prem clubs would show fee paying interest at this stage tbh. A further settled half season impressing maybe, but not off the back of just a dozen L1 appearances after a number of question marks against his previous 
    Said as much to a derby fan, hell of a risk if you’re trying to stay up first time of asking. High potential but very little proof so far. 

That said, I’d be delighted if he stays based on what we've seen so far one of three or four I’d be disappointed to see leave us. 
  • Taylor Moore
    Liked her 70s TV show when she was the journalist.
  • The irony is that the first player that Nathan Jones brought in, is the first Charlton player in about five seasons to excite any interest from higher clubs.

As a club we've been terrible for years in playing the transfer market, spotting the talent elsewhere then selling on for a big profit. That relies on buying the right players (i.e. not DJ, Kirk, McGrandles, Fraser etc) and not letting them run down their contracts (i.e. not like what happened with Dobson and CBT).

By contrast a club like Brentford, even before they reached the PL, were able to make far more profit out of Konsa than we made, and similarly made a tidy profit out of Watkins (though Exeter happily had a sell on clause).
  • Taylor Moore
    Had to look him up on Wiki. Bit of a random one, 42 games for Shrews 2022/23 season before returning to France. Would demand a fee you'd expect. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Taylor Moore
    Had to look him up on Wiki. Bit of a random one, 42 games for Shrews 2022/23 season before returning to France. Would demand a fee you'd expect. 
    But can he sign a pre contract 😂
  • Taylor Moore
    Of course. In January 2026…
  • Taylor Moore
    Of course. In January 2026…
    Would it be binding?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Small moving to PL doesn't make sense. It's his first regular stint in 1st team mens football and his flourishing, how did spending all that time in the u21s work for him at Southampton and Everton? Personally if he does push for it, his a fool. Do any of us really see him starting ahead of Udogie at spurs? He would be best served spending atleast another season with us, given we have given the boy 1st team football you would hope he would agree to sign a new deal with a release clause if someone in the PL comes in after next season. I personally feel that would be the best option for all parties.
    You know it all comes down to the £££££££
    I think it does in most cases, but Thierry has been there and done that, so you'd hope he would see from his development perspective, going to play u21 football for spurs is not beneficial, but your right mare, money talks
  • Clubs that wouldn't use him this year (i.e Premier League clubs) have no reason to sign him in the summer. Just get him for free on a pre-contract in Jan to to play next year with a years free experience with us. 
    He wouldn’t be free, we'd still get compensation due to his age, I think.

Cheaper probably, but not free.
    PL clubs can't sign pre contract agreements, only overseas clubs can with teams in England. English teams can with players abroad and vice versa
  • Uboat said:
    Taylor Moore
    🎶Wella wella wella huh!🎶
    🎶 He is Better than Sarr  🎶 
  • shirty5 said:
    Carl Jenkinson played 9 League and Cup games whilst in the third tier of English football whilst with Charlton Athletic and went to Arsenal for £1m

Small is better than Jenkinson at this stage of their careers and it’s not out of the question why clubs are being linked with him. He’s a talented player who with the correct mindset will go on to better things.

Maybe he’s learned a few lessons whilst with Everton and Southampton and will be better for it

Either way it’s a win for the club on the financial front. Pick up him on a free and make a substantial six figure profit a few months later.

It’s either him or Leaburn that will go in this summer or in January that will bring a tidy fee in.

It depends how bothered he is about signing the new contract we've offered really. If he wants to sign with us then he will, but if not then he only has one enforced year left on his deal, loves a move and no team will be in any particular rush to get him right now. A team can just tell him to play a season's L1 football and then they'll pick him up on a free in the summer on a decent wage that he's happy with. A Prem team would loan him out anyway so just having him parked at Charlton for a season before a free transfer isn't really any different. I don't think he's been good enough that there will be some kind of early bidding war so I really don't know why any team would bother throwing money at him now. Why pay 6 figures when you can pick him up for free aged 21 with a season's football under his belt? If he reverts to his reported poor previous attitude then you're also not stuck with him. This season is his audition to show he's got his brain in gear, 14 games isn't going to convince teams after the previous 3 years; he had 14 appearances at St Mirren too, they re-signed him on loan the next season and he was terrible and got taken back after 5 games in 6 months
    Wouldn't be free, we'd still get compensation due to his age, I think.

Cheaper probably, but not free.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!