Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Funny how a new club is supposedly interested in Small the next working day after Rich Cawley says we’ve had no contact from Derby about him, effectively rubbishing the first link from last week.
  • It's click bait.

No, Charlton aren't a big draw for click bait but Spurs are.

Read their other stories. Palace manager going to Bayern.

Small was let go a few months ago by Southampton, he's looked decent in a poor league 1 side and he's young but really.

Every click bait site reads he's been offered a deal but not signed yet so it's easy for them to make up stories or just retell spin from his agent.

As Callum said, last week it was Derby, before that it was Millwall, next week it will be Portsmouth.

You know what acronym I'm gonna use....
  • That tweet says “bid submitted” but nowhere in the article does it say anything about a bid. Just that Tottenham are also interested.

Same bloke who wrote the article about Derby being interested the other day by the way. Sounds like an agent playing games.
    I didn't realise it was the same guy who posted the Derby link, didn't even bother looking at that one as I don't think there's a chance of that happening. 

Spurs a bit more of a concern as they're a bit of a powerhouse, and a young player like Small will be drawn far more.

Either way, seems like this journo is being fed information, and as Carly Burn says, reckon there's no smoke without fire with this one. 

I'm expecting Small to leave and be shipped out on loan, might be to us, but with Jones not favouring loan players, probably elsewhere. 
    He went to bigger clubs and didnt make the bench. Hopefully he just wants to play football.
  • Rothko said:
    hahaha, fucking hell, the absolute state of this click bait
    I don't think that's click-bait. Charlton don't have the draw for that, and a journo would think of something a bit more juicy for Spurs than a Charlton player link.

Spurs have shown interest in the past with Small, it's from a fairly credible twitter account, and sourced by a journalist who doesn't appear to be a made up twitter account/bot.

I'd say it's the only link so far with Small that might actually have some truth behind it. Hopefully things work out in our favour though.
    He’s been at multiple clubs and he’s still only 19. He already comes with a reputation of his agent trying to shift him on as many times as possible.

This is just another example of that. If I was NJ I’d be telling him to get rid of his agent or he’ll have played less than 20 games for a dozen clubs by the time he’s in his mid twenties.

If he wants a long and successful career in football, he has to stick around with a football club until he proves he’s outgrown his current environment. He played well for us but 14 games is not proof of anything yet.
    That is how I wish it worked, and Jones had that power, but if Spurs were genuinely interested and bid, he goes surely. Probably offer at least 4 to 6 times what we would offer, big contract. He has time on his side and if it didn't work out, I'm sure he'd get another league 1 gig in 4 more years after a healthy bank account, that's the harsh reality.

That tweet says “bid submitted” but nowhere in the article does it say anything about a bid. Just that Tottenham are also interested.

Same bloke who wrote the article about Derby being interested the other day by the way. Sounds like an agent playing games.
    I didn't realise it was the same guy who posted the Derby link, didn't even bother looking at that one as I don't think there's a chance of that happening. 

Spurs a bit more of a concern as they're a bit of a powerhouse, and a young player like Small will be drawn far more.

Either way, seems like this journo is being fed information, and as Carly Burn says, reckon there's no smoke without fire with this one. 

I'm expecting Small to leave and be shipped out on loan, might be to us, but with Jones not favouring loan players, probably elsewhere. 
    He went to bigger clubs and didnt make the bench. Hopefully he just wants to play football.
    Everton, and especially Southampton aren't bigger clubs than Spurs, as much as I dislike them. He would also be going there to probably be loaned out, the money would be the sway, he'd still get football on Spurs books, whether that's by being loaned out or part of their development team. 

Anyway, time will tell if it's true or not.
  • edited May 13
    As that great football manager said "My Sweet MacLorg"
    George Harrison solo effort though (via Lonni Mack and the Chiffons)
  • Rothko said:
    I don't think that's click-bait. Charlton don't have the draw for that, and a journo would think of something a bit more juicy for Spurs than a Charlton player link.

Spurs have shown interest in the past with Small, it's from a fairly credible twitter account, and sourced by a journalist who doesn't appear to be a made up twitter account/bot.

I'd say it's the only link so far with Small that might actually have some truth behind it. Hopefully things work out in our favour though.
    He’s been at multiple clubs and he’s still only 19. He already comes with a reputation of his agent trying to shift him on as many times as possible.

This is just another example of that. If I was NJ I’d be telling him to get rid of his agent or he’ll have played less than 20 games for a dozen clubs by the time he’s in his mid twenties.

If he wants a long and successful career in football, he has to stick around with a football club until he proves he’s outgrown his current environment. He played well for us but 14 games is not proof of anything yet.
    That is how I wish it worked, and Jones had that power, but if Spurs were genuinely interested and bid, he goes surely. Probably offer at least 4 to 6 times what we would offer, big contract. He has time on his side and if it didn't work out, I'm sure he'd get another league 1 gig in 4 more years after a healthy bank account, that's the harsh reality.
    If he goes, it won't be ideal because we'll need to find another decent left back but he's under contract so we can get a fee that we might not have expected otherwise. It's not all bad news as long as we get proper value either way.

If Spurs are genuinely interested, then a couple of million should be a drop in the ocean for them.
  • If it is all coming from his agent then like @Callumcafc says, he should bin him fast.  He is an age he needs to settle and build a reputation and playing time not go to his 10th club for a few £ more.
    If he was to leave then, much as I like him, if we got £2-3M (I doubt we would) then used it on our team I wouldn't be too disappointed. 
  • If it is all coming from his agent then like @Callumcafc says, he should bin him fast.  He is an age he needs to settle and build a reputation and playing time not go to his 10th club for a few £ more.
    If he was to leave then, much as I like him, if we got £2-3M (I doubt we would) then used it on our team I wouldn't be too disappointed. 
    Agents in the main are only interested in themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 13
    Some people rubbishing footy insider as click bait etc.
    Peter o’rourke is one of their posters.
    They’re quite credible in twitter terms.

• Looks to me like the best we’re going to be able to do is keep Thierry for the one year option. If Spurs or another club are going to offer cash money then perhaps we should build into a deal that he is loaned back to us. We get him for as long as we would anyway and we are guaranteed some bunce as well. I still think it’s odd that a club like Spurs would be interested at this point knowing it would cost them when they could get him for free at the end of the season. It’s not like they need him. Beats of any competition I suppose. 
  • Rothko said:

Multiple clubs? What Everton, Southampton and us. The rest were loans.
  • edited May 13
    Rothko said:

Exactly...I mean Everton and Southampton are nothing to write home about...unlike us of course...🙄
  • edited May 13
    Rothko said:

He’s 19. If he moves again that will be four clubs. Can you find me a player that’s had four parent clubs before his 20th birthday?
  • It's click bait.

No, Charlton aren't a big draw for click bait but Spurs are.

Read their other stories. Palace manager going to Bayern.

Small was let go a few months ago by Southampton, he's looked decent in a poor league 1 side and he's young but really.

Every click bait site reads he's been offered a deal but not signed yet so it's easy for them to make up stories or just retell spin from his agent.

As Callum said, last week it was Derby, before that it was Millwall, next week it will be Portsmouth.

You know what acronym I'm gonna use....
    Wouldn't that be a backronym?
  • Rothko said:

He’s 19. If he moves again that will be four clubs. Can you find me a player that’s had four parent clubs before his 20th birthday?
    But Everton was his first club so not a move so that's what, two moves? 
  • edited May 13
    shirty5 said:
    'Tottenham are keeping close tabs on Charlton Athletic’s former Everton star Thierry Small going into the summer, sources told Football Insider.

It is believed that Spurs have been watching the 19-year-old left-back’s performances in League One after failing to sign him from Southampton last year.'
    Another good read. If true then the club should to cash in and bring some funds into the club which can be used on other players.

2011 - Carl Jenkinson to Arsenal £1m a good example that helped that season 

I believe that the Jenkinson money was THE transfer money for the signings in the summer, I may be wrong.
    True but £1m back then could buy you a squad, £1m now buys you two Charlie Kirk’s 
    Or pays for 2-3 of our injured players to watch Netflix. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 13
    Rothko said:

But Everton was his first club so not a move so that's what, two moves? 
    I don’t know what the point you’re making is. Rightly or wrongly, he already has a reputation for moving between clubs too often and I was only pointing that out. If you disagree then fair enough.

(Technically his first club was West Brom. He left them in 2016 to join Everton at age 11…)
  • shirty5 said:
    'Tottenham are keeping close tabs on Charlton Athletic’s former Everton star Thierry Small going into the summer, sources told Football Insider.

It is believed that Spurs have been watching the 19-year-old left-back’s performances in League One after failing to sign him from Southampton last year.'
    Another good read. If true then the club should to cash in and bring some funds into the club which can be used on other players.

I believe that the Jenkinson money was THE transfer money for the signings in the summer, I may be wrong.
    True but £1m back then could buy you a squad, £1m now buys you two Charlie Kirk’s 
    2 Charlie Kirks ? 

Perish the thought!
  • The rumours about Small would almost certainly be circulated by his agent. Might not suit us but the agent is paid to get the best deal for his client and if he can't get Charlton to pay higher wages by these rumours then he's probably not doing his job.Its worth remembering that Small was at a premiership club, although they lost that status, they were probably keen to pay up his contract and get rid. He is a class above this level and still young and I don't think his aspirations or wage expectations will be matched by Charlton, shame but its the world we live in. 
  • Let’s not get too carried away here. The club are still in a relatively decent position. Hes our player for another season unless someone wants to stump up cash to make it worthwhile for the club to sell him. It’s got to be enough money to help build the squad and I’d suggest at least a loan back. Looks unlikely that he’ll sign on for another stint regardless so the club need to make the best of it. We’re in a position to at least get something out of it. It’s a pity because the lad looks mustard.
  • shirty5 said:

Do we need to do that…..not sure really?
  • J BLOCK said:
    sam3110 said:
    The Small rumours get more ridiculous by the day. He'll be linked to Bayern to replace the outgoing Alphonso Davies soon the rate this is going. 
    Linked to spurs isn't ridiculous at all, wouldn't surprise me if he went to a Prem team this summer. He's a 19 year old who lost his way, but clearly has bags of potential which is why he was previously linked to Madrid and Bayern. 

This might all be agent talk, but it's not out of the realms of possibility. 
    So you’re saying his agent has previous with this kind of bollox.🙄
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!