Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Does anyone know if a pre-contract would be possible...🙄
  • The EFL has today confirmed the opening and closing dates for the 2024/25 summer and winter transfer windows.

• The summer transfer window will open from 14 June 2024 and close on Friday 30 August 2024 at 11pm.
    • The winter transfer window will open on 1 January 2025 and close on Monday 3 February 2025 at 11pm.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2024/may/14/dates-for-2024-25-transfer-windows-confirmed/
  • shirty5 said:
    Carl Jenkinson played 9 League and Cup games whilst in the third tier of English football whilst with Charlton Athletic and went to Arsenal for £1m

Small is better than Jenkinson at this stage of their careers and it’s not out of the question why clubs are being linked with him. He’s a talented player who with the correct mindset will go on to better things.

Maybe he’s learned a few lessons whilst with Everton and Southampton and will be better for it

Either way it’s a win for the club on the financial front. Pick up him on a free and make a substantial six figure profit a few months later.

It’s either him or Leaburn that will go in this summer or in January that will bring a tidy fee in.

It depends how bothered he is about signing the new contract we've offered really. If he wants to sign with us then he will, but if not then he only has one enforced year left on his deal, loves a move and no team will be in any particular rush to get him right now. A team can just tell him to play a season's L1 football and then they'll pick him up on a free in the summer on a decent wage that he's happy with. A Prem team would loan him out anyway so just having him parked at Charlton for a season before a free transfer isn't really any different. I don't think he's been good enough that there will be some kind of early bidding war so I really don't know why any team would bother throwing money at him now. Why pay 6 figures when you can pick him up for free aged 21 with a season's football under his belt? If he reverts to his reported poor previous attitude then you're also not stuck with him. This season is his audition to show he's got his brain in gear, 14 games isn't going to convince teams after the previous 3 years; he had 14 appearances at St Mirren too, they re-signed him on loan the next season and he was terrible and got taken back after 5 games in 6 months
    Wouldn't be free, we'd still get compensation due to his age, I think.

Cheaper probably, but not free.
    I doubt any compensation would be significant, if any at all.  Compensation for young players, under 24, out of contract is based on the length of time the club have spent developing the player over the years in their academy. 
  • So when are our multi billionaire owners going to dip a toe in the transfer market?. No point owning it if not willing to push on. Clearly don't need to advertise funds available and be a bit clever in our dealings but we do need to be putting a squad together for pre season to get out of this poxy league for all our sakes.
  • Small put in a few decent appearances but let’s not go overboard, we’ve not uncovered the next Roberto Carlos. 

Can’t believe Prem clubs would show fee paying interest at this stage tbh. A further settled half season impressing maybe, but not off the back of just a dozen L1 appearances after a number of question marks against his previous 
    I agree, he has looked good, but also not set the world on fire. He's not looked as good, for example, as Rhoys Wiggins yet. Flip side to that argument, I think you could argue he's looked better than Maatsen did for us and Maatsen is likely playing in a Champions League final in a few weeks' time so who really knows where Small's ceiling is and what Premier League scouts may have made of his form for us.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Clubs that wouldn't use him this year (i.e Premier League clubs) have no reason to sign him in the summer. Just get him for free on a pre-contract in Jan to to play next year with a years free experience with us. 
    He wouldn’t be free, we'd still get compensation due to his age, I think.

PL clubs can't sign pre contract agreements, only overseas clubs can with teams in England. English teams can with players abroad and vice versa
    They can, but only in the final month of their contract, outside of England it's 6 months.
  • edited May 14
    Great news, and a well deserved 2 + 1 year option contract...👍
  • 2 years plus a year's option seems a sensible deal.

IF he does well I hope we are proactive, as so often what happens is that we don't renegotiate the deal, and instead just activate the 1 year extension and lose the player at the end of the year.

AND the time to offer a new deal isn't with 7 months to go.
  • clive said:

The EFL has today confirmed the opening and closing dates for the 2024/25 summer and winter transfer windows.

• The summer transfer window will open from 14 June 2024 and close on Friday 30 August 2024 at 11pm.
    • The winter transfer window will open on 1 January 2025 and close on Monday 3 February 2025 at 11pm.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2024/may/14/dates-for-2024-25-transfer-windows-confirmed/
    Why ain't we signed nobody yet window open in a month 😡
  • Sponsored links:

• red10 said:
    So when are our multi billionaire owners going to dip a toe in the transfer market?. No point owning it if not willing to push on. Clearly don't need to advertise funds available and be a bit clever in our dealings but we do need to be putting a squad together for pre season to get out of this poxy league for all our sakes.
    Window doesn’t open for another month. Bit early to start moaning even for us.
  • I thought he was excellent in all his cameos towards the back end. Actually put a shift in which was my biggest criticism of him earlier in the season.
  • shirty5 said:
    Carl Jenkinson played 9 League and Cup games whilst in the third tier of English football whilst with Charlton Athletic and went to Arsenal for £1m

Small is better than Jenkinson at this stage of their careers and it’s not out of the question why clubs are being linked with him. He’s a talented player who with the correct mindset will go on to better things.

Maybe he’s learned a few lessons whilst with Everton and Southampton and will be better for it

Either way it’s a win for the club on the financial front. Pick up him on a free and make a substantial six figure profit a few months later.

It’s either him or Leaburn that will go in this summer or in January that will bring a tidy fee in.

It depends how bothered he is about signing the new contract we've offered really. If he wants to sign with us then he will, but if not then he only has one enforced year left on his deal, loves a move and no team will be in any particular rush to get him right now. A team can just tell him to play a season's L1 football and then they'll pick him up on a free in the summer on a decent wage that he's happy with. A Prem team would loan him out anyway so just having him parked at Charlton for a season before a free transfer isn't really any different. I don't think he's been good enough that there will be some kind of early bidding war so I really don't know why any team would bother throwing money at him now. Why pay 6 figures when you can pick him up for free aged 21 with a season's football under his belt? If he reverts to his reported poor previous attitude then you're also not stuck with him. This season is his audition to show he's got his brain in gear, 14 games isn't going to convince teams after the previous 3 years; he had 14 appearances at St Mirren too, they re-signed him on loan the next season and he was terrible and got taken back after 5 games in 6 months

I don't know that we would. He's not come through our academy and he's technically a senior player. I think the guidelines cover u9 to u21 but the player has to be registered with the academy and the club has to have offered a Scholarship Agreement to him. Having said that though the rules are incredible dense and seem to have been written by a psychopath, likely intentionally to muddy the amount bigger teams have to pay for lower division player, so I'm not 100% clear on it. At best though if we argued we registered him to our academy aged 19 and he leaves aged 20 then we'd get probably less than £50k if we got a penny
  • I'm really hoping TC pushes on as I've been very frustrated with his skill level having any significant affect on games. He doesn't stand out in the crowd as a culprit for our poor league position, but he hasn't shone either. I know he's a youngster, just like Small, however Rak Sakyi was also very young and inexperienced, but however raw this talent was, he got people off their seats, such was his skill.

I'm hoping Jones can improve these young signings and academy products, so that they can be in the first 11 on merit, not just due to injuries to others. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    shirty5 said:

I doubt any compensation would be significant, if any at all.  Compensation for young players, under 24, out of contract is based on the length of time the club have spent developing the player over the years in their academy. 

Not sure that is correct.  I think that is EPPP rules which only apply before a player signs their first professional contract don't they (IE 17yr olds being poached).  Once a player has signed and a contract has been offered on equal or better terms to renew, if a new one is not agreed then price is still set by a tribunal isn't it?

• I thought he was excellent in all his cameos towards the back end. Actually put a shift in which was my biggest criticism of him earlier in the season.
    Too many have written him off based on how he played under Appleton. He has the ability to beat a man with pure pace and skill which is a very difficult quality to teach. I’m glad he’s still here because he can offer something different and will at the very least be an excellent option off the bench.
    He’s like CBT when he first joined us, he can take on a full back all day long, it’s the next bit that is the problem at the moment. 

When that starts to fall into place like it did for CBT this season then Campbell will be destined for higher than league 1, I’m not sure where he fits into our team at the moment but I’m very happy we’ve got him for at least 2 more years to see if he can make that next step 
  • red10 said:
    So when are our multi billionaire owners going to dip a toe in the transfer market?. No point owning it if not willing to push on. Clearly don't need to advertise funds available and be a bit clever in our dealings but we do need to be putting a squad together for pre season to get out of this poxy league for all our sakes.

its only May for god sake some leagues are still playing , most players, managers are now away .. 
  • edited May 14
    red10 said:
    It's attitudes like this that have put us in the position we are.  We need to demand more.  We still haven't any points on the table.  Why will fans keep accepting failure?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 14
    red10 said:
    It's attitudes like this that have put us in the position we are.  We need to demand more.  We still haven't any points on the table.  Why will fans keep accepting failure?

Something to cheer everyone up!!..🙄
  • Im on the train back hone from work and it'll go through Charlton. Can definitely sense that if we wanted to target Kilo Green he's on the train. 
  • red10 said:

Richard Rufus a free man? 
  • red10 said:

Richard Rufus a free man? 
    The hero of the 85th minute...👍
  • Richard Cawley
    ·

The EFL have confirmed the summer transfer window opens on June 14 and closes on Friday August 30 at 11pm.
  • Richard Cawley
    ·

The EFL have confirmed the summer transfer window opens on June 14 and closes on Friday August 30 at 11pm.
    I wonder how many of our transfers will be closer to June 14th than Aug 30th ? If Jones is to believed we should be signing the majority before early July so we only have 6 weeks to find out. 
  • Richard Cawley
    ·

I wonder how many of our transfers will be closer to June 14th than Aug 30th ? If Jones is to believed we should be signing the majority before early July so we only have 6 weeks to find out. 
    Yes, if he gets his way I'd like to think the bulk of our new squad will be going on the pre-season tour.
    We shall see.
  • Forgive my ignorance if i got this wrong...but do we have to wait a month to start hearing about incomings? I don't remember this gap last year. 'Ef all happening on here at the moment....
  • red10 said:
    Was a question not a moan, need to be out of the blocks super quick to bring on board the right players. We have history of fishing about at the end of the window which time after time we all know has not gone that well.

• red10 said:
    red10 said:
    Was a question not a moan, need to be out of the blocks super quick to bring on board the right players. We have history of fishing about at the end of the window which time after time we all know has not gone that well.

The problem is a lot of the better players available will wait to see if they can get Championship gigs before signing for League 1.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!