Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    edited June 28
    RedRobin said:

Cawley confirmed May’s missus has already moved back up north, so pretty much done deal. 
    Sounds like its more than just Footballing reasons for this move, which in all honesty is pretty understandable IF its the case... Especially if thats where his partner's family are from.

Probably just helps (and is unfortunate for us), that Huddersfield appointed Alfie's old Manager
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I think now the term "trust the process" is quite pertinent

I'm enthused by the purchases we've made and I don't agree with selling Alfie (if we do)- but I do see some logic behind it.  If we get promoted he'll be 32 - his value is never going to be as high as it is right now.  We all know that.
    Another thing to consider is Alfie was late into the game.  He didn't follow the "academy route" and so he maybe doesn't have the diligence Nathan likes in his players.  He wants players that play in zones, not mavericks who drift about - which Alfie has a tendency to do.  You can't argue it's not effective for him but I get the impression it infuriates Nathan.
    Factor in too that Alfie freely admitted to me he needed to be playing regularly and, it would seem, he either was told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter or he figured it out for himself and so has been looking to move all summer.  We just don't know but the allure of being near his wife's family, presumably being paid more, presumably picking up a nice slice of money for the transfer and working for a manager he really enjoyed.  It all stacks up I suppose.

As much as the rumoured £750k fee seems light - it would be the 3rd largest League 1 to League 1 transfer fee ever (Mo Eisa (24) and our mate John Marquis (27) - both in 2019 the only ones higher) so when you look at it that way you can perhaps see some of the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope its not a train coming at me!
    That one feels a bit of a misnomer, as normally the good players get Championship moves (and often for more money).
    But as far as we know he didn’t get any offer from the championship so it’s relevant.
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Swisdom said:

I'm enthused by the purchases we've made and I don't agree with selling Alfie (if we do)- but I do see some logic behind it.  If we get promoted he'll be 32 - his value is never going to be as high as it is right now.  We all know that.
    Another thing to consider is Alfie was late into the game.  He didn't follow the "academy route" and so he maybe doesn't have the diligence Nathan likes in his players.  He wants players that play in zones, not mavericks who drift about - which Alfie has a tendency to do.  You can't argue it's not effective for him but I get the impression it infuriates Nathan.
    Factor in too that Alfie freely admitted to me he needed to be playing regularly and, it would seem, he either was told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter or he figured it out for himself and so has been looking to move all summer.  We just don't know but the allure of being near his wife's family, presumably being paid more, presumably picking up a nice slice of money for the transfer and working for a manager he really enjoyed.  It all stacks up I suppose.

As much as the rumoured £750k fee seems light - it would be the 3rd largest League 1 to League 1 transfer fee ever (Mo Eisa (24) and our mate John Marquis (27) - both in 2019 the only ones higher) so when you look at it that way you can perhaps see some of the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope it’s not a train coming at me!
    Presume JCH to Posh was higher than 750k
    PWADDICK said:
    Swisdom said:

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope it’s not a train coming at me!
    Presume JCH to Posh was higher than 750k
    So it seems yes.  And he was around 25 at the time.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    That’s handy.
    ’His wife was desperate to move up north, so we accepted two shillings and sixpence from Huddersfield because we are a caring benevolent management and Club.
    Slightly simplistic response to a potentially complex situation...
  • Options
    Losing Alfie will look even dafter once Jones takes the Wales job.
    This really does worry me 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    If this is true that's a massive decision by Jones and takes king Kong sized balls to make. I really don't know what to make of all this tbh, but we better hit the ground running otherwise the locals will be restless (once again).
    Assuming it is a decision by Jones...
    Decision has the whiff of Andy Scott to me.
    Well Jones has made it clear all transfer decisions are down to him so much as I think scott is a waste of a wage there's only one person to blame for this. 
     I wonder if there was an ultimatum from the board.
    Jones made no secret about wanting to clear out the drift wood and replace it with higher calibre.
    Maybe the board said we'll do it but you'll have to give us something back for it. Looks like Alfie was the make way. I should think Jones may well have liked to have kept him as a squad player but those the breaks. The news about his missus that I wasn't aware of probably had a large significance in all of this as well mind.
    So I suppose the question to supporters in that scenario would be what would you rather have?
    A completely revamped core squad with higher calibre players and no Alfie?
    Or keep Alfie and dip back into the mediocre pot?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

PWR other posts.
    Entirely agree with the comments here, but if May wants to go &/or we are happy to lose to a promotion rival, it shouldn’t be for £750K. If he was a Peterborough player, no way would they be selling him for that, despite his age. Guaranteed goals should mean guaranteed top
    price. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    That’s handy.
    ’His wife was desperate to move up north, so we accepted two shillings and sixpence from Huddersfield because we are a caring benevolent management and Club.
    Slightly simplistic response to a potentially complex situation...
    More than slightly, but it might contain a grain of truth when the explanation is eventually forthcoming.
  • Options
    Charlton.

FFS.
  • Options
    Didn't he move down this way to be closer to family?!
  • Options
    don't panic......crafty Charlie boy has stuck a 75% sell on clause in the deal ;) 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Only his brother .. his wife was from Doncaster and they still owned a house up there 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won't sign anyone better than May this window. We don't seem to have any interest in replacing CBT despite letting him go 6 months ago. We really struggled to score last season as it is... Can't wait to watch another mid table battle 
    We replaced CBT with Small, seeing we're playing with Wing-Backs
  • Options
    We won't sign anyone better than May this window. We don't seem to have any interest in replacing CBT despite letting him go 6 months ago. We really struggled to score last season as it is... Can't wait to watch another mid table battle 
    So over the top in my opinion! We are much better defensively this season which will make a huge difference! 

I am still confident we will get the attacking players in we need!
  • Options
    Owners have to back their manager, and if Jones is happy for May to go then so be it, no qualms with it providing we reinvest it quickly and not on panic signings on deadline day 
  • Options
    To be fair, we have no interest in replacing CBT because we’re not playing with wingers any more. If we switch to a lb and lw during the game, it sounds like Small and Edwards can play both positions. 

You may be right about the mid table battle, but I’m confident based on the players recruited, the better science department and the most qualified manager we’ve had in years that this will be the best season we’ve had in a while.
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Only his brother .. his wife was from Doncaster and they still owned a house up there 
    Doncaster is a fair old slap from Huddersfield. 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Doncaster is a fair old slap from Huddersfield. 
    Depending on route somewhere between 34 and 45 miles or roughly an hour.
  • Options
    I actually think the deal is done and waiting for the green light from us and Cawley is saying it to help Charlton out with saying it’s not. So that our transfer(s) don’t fall through or ask
    for more money