Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Who says we haven’t already got a replacement sorted and who says the sum being widely quoted is correct?
    Bit rich to say we’re being lied to, I don’t get that  comment one little bit.🤔

Jones said it himself earlier in the week! Ok he may have replacements lined up unusual that nothing has leaked out only the Ipswich guy who they seem to want over the odds for, the price,if £750,000 is accurate, less than the original offer if insiders are to be believed, I know Alfie wanted to come to us so as I see it he has been pushed out, my opinion only
    angry of Charlton Life
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    RedRobin said:
    Bournesnr said:
    I didn’t want Alfie to go but if his family have been unable to settle here then I understand him moving to Huddersfield.
    Huddersfield to Doncaster 1hr 8min.
    Charlton to Doncaster 3hrs 10min.
    He literally lived further away for a couple of years in Cheltenham, unless it’s quicker to get the Doncaster from there?
    EXACTLY!!!!
    She lived in Yorkshire with the two boys and he lived in Cheltenham.  When they got here he was happy because he was seeing his kids more often and they were together as a proper family.  They were really happy.  So let’s not pin this whole scenario on his wife - she’s really supportive of Alfie.

If Alfie is moving it’s between him and the club
    What’s it about eh. That’s what I keep asking myself 
  • Options
    Sounds like he's having to make a choice between playing less and staying down here, because for whatever reason the manager doesn't rate him as highly as we do, or playing more and moving back up north, with the caveat that the club he can move to just so happens to be within an hours drive of the extended family's base. He'll get a decent wedge, probably play a lot in a team that will be pushing for promotion, and we'll get a sum of money that's more than we'd probably get for him at any other time. 

It sounds pretty inevitable that he's gone, but I don't think you can pin this move on anyone fully "to blame"
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

We have to see what the club up there sleeve. It might surprise us.

Either way, I am sure NJ has a plan and for now, that's good enough for me. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    I doubt if Jones will last the season if we are not challenging.
    Same. I think we’ll be up there, with or without Alfie.
    Based on what? Can only be pure hope at this point surely, as the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be. 
    The fact we finished the season strong and signing some good players and just putting the right systems in place behind the scenes . I think it’s a good time to be following Charlton with or with Alfie May.
    Yes all of those draws had us storming up the league  :D

with or with Alfie May ? Well can't say I disagree with that.
    Well we were unbeaten in the league for around 12/13 games and in the relagation zone before the new signings and Jones came in so no not storming up the league but a massive improvement . 
    Were we ever in the relegation zone ?
    As I've said previously without Jones coming in I think we would have been relegated so an improvement for sure.
  • Options
    I think it's more the replacements that worry me now and getting the right quality of players in that can make a real difference. Might have to be 2 quality strikers and a goalscoring No10 to bridge the gap in goals we're losing. Whoever comes in is going to have to hit the ground running. 
  • Options
     If Jones can not find a system that Alfie fits into then the Welsh windbag should go 
    I find it difficult to understand why Jones can't find a place in the team for a striker who gives 100% every game & more or less guarantees you 20+ goals a season.

Maybe that was why he was such a failure at Saints & Stoke
    How many goals does he score with his head, or make clearances with his head?
    How many assists did he have?
    How good is he at winning the ball and holding it up to bring others into play?
    Well sorry, but you did ask.

It's clear why Jones doesn't want him starting games.
    Whether that will be the right decision no one knows.
    I'm not happy, but it may or may not be a good decision.
    Yeah they said the same thing about Killer, all he does is score goals. 
  • Options
    Killer is my all time hero.
  • Options
    could Isted be signing for Barnsley 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 28
     If Jones can not find a system that Alfie fits into then the Welsh windbag should go 
    I find it difficult to understand why Jones can't find a place in the team for a striker who gives 100% every game & more or less guarantees you 20+ goals a season.

That 1985/86 promotion after he left the club to go to Gillingham must’ve never happened if moving on your top scorer is such a disaster…
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    He was in Bali yesterday I think 
  • Options

That 1985/86 promotion after he left the club to go to Gillingham must’ve never happened if moving on your top scorer is such a disaster…
    Mike Flanagan was the top goalscorer during the 1984/1985 season with Robert Lee a close second
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    He was in Bali yesterday I think 
    No he was definitely back training yesterday 
  • Options
    edited June 28
    Not ITK, but perhaps May knew Jones did not want him and no matter what his wife said, if May not happy, she would like to move back near her family. May got his agent to find a club near his Yorkshire home and Huddersfield interested. May would not say anything because he knew Charlton would not let him go unless they got a replacement. so he had to be patient. Not defending the owners, but if it is between May and Jones, they have no choice as they promised Jones, he would have the last word on transfers. As I said, not ITK, just trying to put some sense to it. Now pull my idea to pieces
  • Options
    And mine. Great goalscorer and loved a row. Lol
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I think now the term "trust the process" is quite pertinent

I'm enthused by the purchases we've made and I don't agree with selling Alfie (if we do)- but I do see some logic behind it.  If we get promoted he'll be 32 - his value is never going to be as high as it is right now.  We all know that.
    Another thing to consider is Alfie was late into the game.  He didn't follow the "academy route" and so he maybe doesn't have the diligence Nathan likes in his players.  He wants players that play in zones, not mavericks who drift about - which Alfie has a tendency to do.  You can't argue it's not effective for him but I get the impression it infuriates Nathan.
    Factor in too that Alfie freely admitted to me he needed to be playing regularly and, it would seem, he either was told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter or he figured it out for himself and so has been looking to move all summer.  We just don't know but the allure of being near his wife's family, presumably being paid more, presumably picking up a nice slice of money for the transfer and working for a manager he really enjoyed.  It all stacks up I suppose.

As much as the rumoured £750k fee seems light - it would be the 3rd largest League 1 to League 1 transfer fee ever (Mo Eisa (24) and our mate John Marquis (27) - both in 2019 the only ones higher) so when you look at it that way you can perhaps see some of the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope it’s not a train coming at me!
    PWR other posts.
    Entirely agree with the comments here, but if May wants to go &/or we are happy to lose to a promotion rival, it shouldn’t be for £750K. If he was a Peterborough player, no way would they be selling him for that, despite his age. Guaranteed goals should mean guaranteed top
    price. 
    JCH went for nothing.
    Out of contract though, Alfie isn’t. 
  • Options
    edited June 28
    redbuttle said:
    And mine. Great goalscorer and loved a row. Lol
    Especially with Mike Flanagan...🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won't sign anyone better than May this window. We don't seem to have any interest in replacing CBT despite letting him go 6 months ago. We really struggled to score last season as it is... Can't wait to watch another mid table battle 
    I'd be overjoyed to be involved in a mid-table battle.....
  • Options
    Can we just start the football this weekend? I’m not looking forward to the prospect of this dragging out for 4-5 more weeks.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    We won't sign anyone better than May this window. We don't seem to have any interest in replacing CBT despite letting him go 6 months ago. We really struggled to score last season as it is... Can't wait to watch another mid table battle 
    To be fair, we have no interest in replacing CBT because we’re not playing with wingers any more. If we switch to a lb and lw during the game, it sounds like Small and Edwards can play both positions. 

You may be right about the mid table battle, but I’m confident based on the players recruited, the better science department and the most qualified manager we’ve had in years that this will be the best season we’ve had in a while.
    We lost JRS after the 22/23 season, didnt replace him / his goals and finished lower in 23/24.

We've lost CBT in 23/24, haven't replaced him /his goals (because we dont now play with wingers ?) and..........
  • Options
    Grovenuts said:
    Who says we haven’t already got a replacement sorted and who says the sum being widely quoted is correct?
    Bit rich to say we’re being lied to, I don’t get that  comment one little bit.🤔

Jones said it himself earlier in the week! Ok he may have replacements lined up unusual that nothing has leaked out only the Ipswich guy who they seem to want over the odds for, the price,if £750,000 is accurate, less than the original offer if insiders are to be believed, I know Alfie wanted to come to us so as I see it he has been pushed out, my opinion only
    angry of Charlton Life
    He not been pushed out by anyone NJ was just been honest  with him about not starting games next season ..
  • Options
    edited June 28
    RC_CAFC said:
    To be fair, we have no interest in replacing CBT because we’re not playing with wingers any more. If we switch to a lb and lw during the game, it sounds like Small and Edwards can play both positions. 

You may be right about the mid table battle, but I’m confident based on the players recruited, the better science department and the most qualified manager we’ve had in years that this will be the best season we’ve had in a while.
    We lost JRS after the 22/23 season, didnt replace him / his goals and finished lower in 23/24.

We've lost CBT in 23/24, haven't replaced him /his goals (because we dont now play with wingers ?) and..........
    The problem with 23/24 wasn’t losing Rak-Sakyi. If you want to make it as simplistic as replacing his goals, we did that with Alfie.

The problem with the 23/24 season was that up until the point Nathan Jones took over we had conceded the 3rd most goals in the league, behind only Carlisle and Fleetwood.
  • Options
    PWR

So, is the real reason for May leaving, because of his wife wanting to move back up north?
    So it seems NOW it is. But not ever mentioned when Huddersfirldxfirst made their bid or when Jones has been asked about it. 

Convenient eh ?