Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

We have to see what the club up there sleeve. It might surprise us.

Either way, I am sure NJ has a plan and for now, that's good enough for me. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Repeat .. the club not made the decision Nathan Jones has 
    And jones is the manager of the club. Is there a difference?
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    I doubt if Jones will last the season if we are not challenging.
    Same. I think we’ll be up there, with or without Alfie.
    Based on what? Can only be pure hope at this point surely, as the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be. 
    The fact we finished the season strong and signing some good players and just putting the right systems in place behind the scenes . I think it’s a good time to be following Charlton with or with Alfie May.

We finished the season strong…. 1 win and 6 draws from last 8 games.  Wouldn’t be my idea of strong.

Surviving the drop was the remit last year, totally different to this year...we hope...🤞
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I think now the term "trust the process" is quite pertinent

I'm enthused by the purchases we've made and I don't agree with selling Alfie (if we do)- but I do see some logic behind it.  If we get promoted he'll be 32 - his value is never going to be as high as it is right now.  We all know that.
    Another thing to consider is Alfie was late into the game.  He didn't follow the "academy route" and so he maybe doesn't have the diligence Nathan likes in his players.  He wants players that play in zones, not mavericks who drift about - which Alfie has a tendency to do.  You can't argue it's not effective for him but I get the impression it infuriates Nathan.
    Factor in too that Alfie freely admitted to me he needed to be playing regularly and, it would seem, he either was told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter or he figured it out for himself and so has been looking to move all summer.  We just don't know but the allure of being near his wife's family, presumably being paid more, presumably picking up a nice slice of money for the transfer and working for a manager he really enjoyed.  It all stacks up I suppose.

As much as the rumoured £750k fee seems light - it would be the 3rd largest League 1 to League 1 transfer fee ever (Mo Eisa (24) and our mate John Marquis (27) - both in 2019 the only ones higher) so when you look at it that way you can perhaps see some of the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope it’s not a train coming at me!
    Presume JCH to Posh was higher than 750k
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm enthused by the purchases we've made and I don't agree with selling Alfie (if we do)- but I do see some logic behind it.  If we get promoted he'll be 32 - his value is never going to be as high as it is right now.  We all know that.
    Another thing to consider is Alfie was late into the game.  He didn't follow the "academy route" and so he maybe doesn't have the diligence Nathan likes in his players.  He wants players that play in zones, not mavericks who drift about - which Alfie has a tendency to do.  You can't argue it's not effective for him but I get the impression it infuriates Nathan.
    Factor in too that Alfie freely admitted to me he needed to be playing regularly and, it would seem, he either was told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter or he figured it out for himself and so has been looking to move all summer.  We just don't know but the allure of being near his wife's family, presumably being paid more, presumably picking up a nice slice of money for the transfer and working for a manager he really enjoyed.  It all stacks up I suppose.

As much as the rumoured £750k fee seems light - it would be the 3rd largest League 1 to League 1 transfer fee ever (Mo Eisa (24) and our mate John Marquis (27) - both in 2019 the only ones higher) so when you look at it that way you can perhaps see some of the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope its not a train coming at me!
    That one feels a bit of a misnomer, as normally the good players get Championship moves (and often for more money).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:
    A very sad day if May does now leave, as seems highly likely - especially if it's for a fee of £750,000, a chunk of which has to be paid to Cheltenham. Scoring goals is the hardest job on the field, which is why goal scorers always command a premium price (save in this instance, apparently).

Alfie may be about to turn 31 next week but he certainly has another 3 or 4 years left in him at a good level. As well as his goals, he was very important to the fan base, as a player who absolutely gave his all and played with a sense of joie de vivre. Just watch him perform next season in a Huddersfield shirt.

The Player of the Year curse strikes yet again.

A dismal bit of negotiation on the part of the deadly duo/snake oil salesmen, Scott and Rodwell, who have now successfully stripped us of our three best players from last season. As for Nathan Jones, we all agree that what matters is the best interests of Charlton Athletic; what I'm really, really struggling with is how the sale of our top goalscorer and probably our best player can possibly be to our advantage.

Apart from Godden - a 33 year old who is past his best and on the way down - the other replacement that has been mooted is Ahadme. A friend of mine supports Cambridge and saw a lot of him last season until the player got crocked in March. His view is that Ahadme is a very good League 1 striker, who holds the ball up well and has a great touch. He was, however, astounded by the suggestion that Ipswich want £1million for him. This is a player who has scored 1 goal for Ipswich and less than 25 goals in his career to date. Do me a favour.

I wonder who will be next out the door ? The smart money must be on Small and Leaburn (if he can prove his fitness) in January, when the club are unable to agree contract extensions.
    It won’t be 750,000 it will be undisclosed and with Huddersfield paying Cheltenham as part of the deal 
    How come you know what it won't be if it is undisclosed?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope it’s not a train coming at me!
    Always look out for your posts for a bit of common sense on here , hopefully we get some signings over the line to appease the fans.
  • Options
    Last season there was only 4 players that I thought were good enough for what we need. 

Blackett Taylor 
    Dobson 
    May
    Small. 

Three have left and one won't sign a contract extension. 

Not bedwetting but fuck me I hope 5 or 6 quality players come in soon. 
    I think the vast majority would agree with this.
  • Options
    MrBurns said:

If May leaves and we get old man Godden in....
    Only a year diff and Godden played higher level .. 
  • Options
    follett said:
    Reiterating what Cawley has said but in the past we would have let our best player go with no one lined up so at least it's nice to be letting him go only if we have incomings sorted. Also sounds like Alfie wants to leave to be closer to partners family which is fair enough. It is still ridiculous to sell him to a potential promotion rival but can't imagine there is any championship interest.
    Also major factor who the manger is …May says he had the biggest influence on his career 
  • Options
    MrBurns said:

If May leaves and we get old man Godden in....
    Only a year diff and Godden played higher level .. 
    May is 31 on Wednesday.

Godden will be 33 at the end of July 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    I'm annoyed about Alfie going regardless, but it's outrageous that it is only £750k. The window doesn't shut for ages we could've driven up the price and started a bidding war.
    How can you have a bidding war when only one club was interested.
    You think that Huddersfield are the only team that would want the top scorer in League 1 over the past 3 seasons?
    What other bids were then if he went for 750k

Well a few days ago we were informed on here that we'd turned down £800k from the same team so that's at least two bids.  :D
    Plus the fact he hasn't gone yet.  ;)
    It’s more then 750,000 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, assuming there won't be any signings today and that there aren't generally any over a weekend then that's it for June. And assuming the squad are off this weekend/Monday to Slovakia then the first milestone of having the majority of the squad done by the start of pre-season has been another damp squib. A training camp is a time for team bonding & that's hard to do when you've signed less than half of the players you need (and said you need) without losing your top goalscorer into the bargain.

I honestly love what he says & that piece put out by the club can only adhere you to him.  He has talked the talk but he has a hell of a lot of walking to do before we are anywhere near being a top 6 side. 
  • Options
    Trust Jones? Like Stoke and Southamton did.
    I pray posts like this have their posters eating a massive slice humble pie in 10 months time.

I can almost hear the chants of “Alfie what’s the score?” in late March…
    We all do but no one will know that till the end of May 2025
  • Options

Repeat .. the club not made the decision Nathan Jones has 
    Repeat .. Nathan Jones probably made the decision based on the fact that he wouldn't be able to make any/many signings if he doesn't sell…..

Thats not the case we are already down the road with the Ipswich lad he was joining whether May stayed or go and he going to cost 600,000 plus .. now we will bring in another striker as well to replace May if he goes ?? 

• Options
    May was at sparrows lane training with the rest of the lads today .. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    I'm annoyed about Alfie going regardless, but it's outrageous that it is only £750k. The window doesn't shut for ages we could've driven up the price and started a bidding war.
    How can you have a bidding war when only one club was interested.
    You think that Huddersfield are the only team that would want the top scorer in League 1 over the past 3 seasons?
    What other bids were then if he went for 750k

Well a few days ago we were informed on here that we'd turned down £800k from the same team so that's at least two bids.  :D
    Plus the fact he hasn't gone yet.  ;)
    It’s more then 750,000 
    So, enlarge on that statement if you can Mr Moore, show us the "truth" and source of your bland open ended statement...you can't can you, it's just more nonsense as per...