Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    I was told at 1520 Alfie is going Huddersfield...
    And mum's going to Iceland. 
    getting some more nappies :)
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

We have to see what the club up there sleeve. It might surprise us.

Either way, I am sure NJ has a plan and for now, that's good enough for me. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    I doubt if Jones will last the season if we are not challenging.
    Same. I think we’ll be up there, with or without Alfie.
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    So with Alfie's wife a kids moving back up north, as that's were there from, what's saying he doesn't want to be down this way anymore and has asked to leave 

Did they ever move south?

I got pelters for reporting that an ex work colleague had met him on holiday and said the family home had remained up north.

Maybe he was right.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    If Alfie May is going, then I would suggest that this is Nathan Jones decision alone. I don't have any evidence to support that view but I do believe that if Jones wants to bring in someone up front then someone has to go. Having looked at the potential exits, Leaburn, and Chuks would not invite bids considering their current level of fitness  Kanu going, doesn't seem viable, so we are left with selling our top scorer. I don't think it can be a good move, I get that for any team four forwards would probably be enough but with two of those forwards, not fit, then the loss of Alfie would leave us with Kanu, a player still learning the game. I feel we have been here before. 
  • Options
    We’re 100% talking to Godden and he wants to come.
  • Options
    I'm annoyed about Alfie going regardless, but it's outrageous that it is only £750k. The window doesn't shut for ages we could've driven up the price and started a bidding war.
    How can you have a bidding war when only one club was interested.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    I'm annoyed about Alfie going regardless, but it's outrageous that it is only £750k. The window doesn't shut for ages we could've driven up the price and started a bidding war.
    How can you have a bidding war when only one club was interested.
    redbuttle said

Was your post a wind up?

• Options
    Richard J said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    So with Alfie's wife a kids moving back up north, as that's were there from, what's saying he doesn't want to be down this way anymore and has asked to leave 

Did they ever move south?

I got pelters for reporting that an ex work colleague had met him on holiday and said the family home had remained up north.

Maybe he was right.
    Well he said in his interview that he was happy to move back down here to be close to his family, but obviously not, I just don't like when everyone automatically blames the club, when the shoe could be on the other foot and it could be him that wants to move
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Repeat .. the club not made the decision Nathan Jones has 
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if we had actually accepted just £750,000. We've already been told we rejected £800,000 as it is. We paid £250,000 for May and Cheltenham have a sell-on. Don't know what but if we assume 20% of next sale then we're making £350,000 on him, which isn't enough to invest back into both a high price for Ahadme and a replacement for May. I wonder if it's £750,000 up front plus add-ons and the overall fee is potentially over £1m. Let's hope so
  • Options
    Is May available for a bit of Medium Pace from the Village end tomorrow? 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A very sad day if May does now leave, as seems highly likely - especially if it's for a fee of £750,000, a chunk of which has to be paid to Cheltenham. Scoring goals is the hardest job on the field, which is why goal scorers always command a premium price (save in this instance, apparently).

Alfie may be about to turn 31 next week but he certainly has another 3 or 4 years left in him at a good level. As well as his goals, he was very important to the fan base, as a player who absolutely gave his all and played with a sense of joie de vivre. Just watch him perform next season in a Huddersfield shirt.

The Player of the Year curse strikes yet again.

A dismal bit of negotiation on the part of the deadly duo/snake oil salesmen, Scott and Rodwell, who have now successfully stripped us of our three best players from last season. As for Nathan Jones, we all agree that what matters is the best interests of Charlton Athletic; what I'm really, really struggling with is how the sale of our top goalscorer and probably our best player can possibly be to our advantage.

Apart from Godden - a 33 year old who is past his best and on the way down - the other replacement that has been mooted is Ahadme. A friend of mine supports Cambridge and saw a lot of him last season until the player got crocked in March. His view is that Ahadme is a very good League 1 striker, who holds the ball up well and has a great touch. He was, however, astounded by the suggestion that Ipswich want £1million for him. This is a player who has scored 1 goal for Ipswich and less than 25 goals in his career to date. Do me a favour.

I wonder who will be next out the door ? The smart money must be on Small and Leaburn (if he can prove his fitness) in January, when the club are unable to agree contract extensions.
    It won’t be 750,000 it will be undisclosed and with Huddersfield paying Cheltenham as part of the deal 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A very sad day if May does now leave, as seems highly likely - especially if it's for a fee of £750,000, a chunk of which has to be paid to Cheltenham. Scoring goals is the hardest job on the field, which is why goal scorers always command a premium price (save in this instance, apparently).

Alfie may be about to turn 31 next week but he certainly has another 3 or 4 years left in him at a good level. As well as his goals, he was very important to the fan base, as a player who absolutely gave his all and played with a sense of joie de vivre. Just watch him perform next season in a Huddersfield shirt.

A dismal bit of negotiation on the part of the deadly duo/snake oil salesmen, Scott and Rodwell, who have now successfully stripped us of our three best players from last season. As for Nathan Jones, we all agree that what matters is the best interests of Charlton Athletic; what I'm really, really struggling with is how the sale of our top goalscorer and probably our best player can possibly be to our advantage.

Apart from Godden - a 33 year old who is past his best and on the way down - the other replacement that has been mooted is Ahadme. A friend of mine supports Cambridge and saw a lot of him last season until the player got crocked in March. His view is that Ahadme is a very good League 1 striker, who holds the ball up well and has a great touch. He was, however, astounded by the suggestion that Ipswich want £1million for him. This is a player who has scored 1 goal for Ipswich and less than 25 goals in his career to date. Do me a favour.

I wonder who will be next out the door ? The smart money must be on Small and Leaburn (if he can prove his fitness) in January, when the club are unable to agree contract extensions.
    It won’t be 750,000 it will be undisclosed and with Huddersfield paying Cheltenham as part of the deal 
    Godden 32 not 33
  • Options

If May leaves and we get old man Godden in....
  • Options
    edited June 28

Repeat .. the club not made the decision Nathan Jones has 

Sometimes it's better to say nothing when there's nothing to say...
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    I’m no where near as confident, league looks very tough. People won’t like it but a season of progress that hopefully ends in the top 6 but even if it doesn’t then that’s probably still progress towards a proper challenge next season. 

Going from 16th to promotion is not easy, especially when you take 2 (maybe 3) of the best players out of that 16th team 
  • Options
    edited June 28
    Chunes said:

Based on what? Can only be pure hope at this point surely, as the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 28
    Blucher said:

You're contradicting yourself.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Redhenry said:
    I checked the railway timetables and there isn't a 15.20 to Huddersfield from Charlton.
    Haha, should have said from my contacts...
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    iaitch said:
    Redhenry said:
    I checked the railway timetables and there isn't a 15.20 to Huddersfield from Charlton.
    Haha, should have said from my contacts...
    Ties in with the other news, didn't mention the fee tho, will try and find out
  • Options
    130 unread posts, this threads gone ballistic this afternoon, how many players have we signed?
  • Options
    130 unread posts, this threads gone ballistic this afternoon, how many players have we signed?
    Minus one...🙄
  • Options
    Blucher said:

You're contradicting yourself.
    Sorry if I misled or somehow confused you. I hope you get the general drift, though.
  • Options
    Reiterating what Cawley has said but in the past we would have let our best player go with no one lined up so at least it's nice to be letting him go only if we have incomings sorted. Also sounds like Alfie wants to leave to be closer to partners family which is fair enough. It is still ridiculous to sell him to a potential promotion rival but can't imagine there is any championship interest.