Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    I'm annoyed about Alfie going regardless, but it's outrageous that it is only £750k. The window doesn't shut for ages we could've driven up the price and started a bidding war.
    How can you have a bidding war when only one club was interested.
    You think that Huddersfield are the only team that would want the top scorer in League 1 over the past 3 seasons?
  • Options
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

We have to see what the club up there sleeve. It might surprise us.

Either way, I am sure NJ has a plan and for now, that's good enough for me. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Repeat .. the club not made the decision Nathan Jones has 
    But what pressure was put on Jones, and why is Andy Scott still here if all the team decisions are down to Nathan Jones? Given you are always professing to be in the know - perhaps you might let some of us poor paying fans know as well.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Repeat .. the club not made the decision Nathan Jones has 
    But what pressure was put on Jones, and why is Andy Scott still here if all the team decisions are down to Nathan Jones? Given you are always professing to be in the know - perhaps you might let some of us poor paying fans know as well.
    On the other hand you could just be quiet and stop annoying everyone?

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    I'm annoyed about Alfie going regardless, but it's outrageous that it is only £750k. The window doesn't shut for ages we could've driven up the price and started a bidding war.
    You think that Huddersfield are the only team that would want the top scorer in League 1 over the past 3 seasons?
    What other bids were then if he went for 750k

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Redhenry said:
    I was told at 1520 Alfie is going Huddersfield...
    I checked the railway timetables and there isn't a 15.20 to Huddersfield from Charlton.
    There was a 15:20 to Gillingham!
  • Options
    edited June 28
    redbuttle said:
    If he's only gone for £750k then yes.
    Realistically how many other league one clubs would have the funds to get near that?

He's unproven at championship level so I doubt there was much interest there when you also consider his age.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who can 750k buy?

We can put it towards an £850k bid for Alfie May in January.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    What other bids were then if he went for 750k

Well a few days ago we were informed on here that we'd turned down £800k from the same team so that's at least two bids.  :D
    Plus the fact he hasn't gone yet.  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 28
    If there is any truth in this farce of selling our top scorer, and indeed golden boot winner last year, to a league one rival for a pittance of just £750K...
    The announcement has to be made by Charlton first on the OS to it's own fans, and not left to bloody 'uddersfield to broker the news, that has to be the way, we are owed that much at least...
  • Options
    RoytheBoy said:
    Sorry Braziliance, you are getting ahead of yourself! Calm down!! 
    When you know the correct and full  information, that is the time to express a valid concern. But keep up the excellent away videos. 
    Just seems like it's what's going to happen now though, too much smoke.

Appreciate I've posted a lot about it, but I genuinely just can't believe how ridiculous it is. 

Thanks for the kind words on the video, I'll probably be accompanied with a bottle of whisky in every video next season at this rate. :) 
  • Options
    edited June 28
    If there is any truth in this farce of selling our top scorer, and indeed golden boot winner last year, to a league one rival for a pittance of just £750K...
    The announcement has to be made by Charlton first on the OS to it's own fans, and not left to bloody 'uddersfield to broker the news, that has to be the way, we are owed that much at least...
    I feel a Kevin Keegan moment coming where he met fans in the st James park  car park after just selling their top scorer Andy Cole to Man utd!

TBF I think they bought Ginola and Asprilla with the cash. Reckon we'd be lucky to get Bogle back!
  • Options
    A few comments that Godden is past his best and declining - have people really studied him enough to reach that conclusion? It may be true but he's been in the championship for the last 4 seasons with a decent Coventry side, so not sure how this can be stated as fact.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Trust in Jones 
    We don't really have much choice, but he hasn't earned it with me yet. 
  • Options
    Perhaps our new CEO might wish to explain what is actually going on?
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    If this is true that's a massive decision by Jones and takes king Kong sized balls to make. I really don't know what to make of all this tbh, but we better hit the ground running otherwise the locals will be restless (once again).
    Assuming it is a decision by Jones...
    Decision has the whiff of Andy Scott to me.
    Well Jones has made it clear all transfer decisions are down to him so much as I think scott is a waste of a wage there's only one person to blame for this. 
  • Options
    Evidently we are considering making a move for Bishop of Lincoln….Stephen Conway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last season there was only 4 players that I thought were good enough for what we need. 

Blackett Taylor 
    Dobson 
    May
    Small. 

Three have left and one won't sign a contract extension. 

Not bedwetting but fuck me I hope 5 or 6 quality players come in soon. 
    To be fair after watching last season I’d be happy for a whole new starting 11 , Ramsey and Small aside.
  • Options
    I just hope if it all goes wrong again this season, then our more significant shareholders (whoever they may be!) have made it absolutely clear that it is Rodwell, Scott and Methven heads who are on the block and not the manager's - who despite all the protestations to the contrary yet again seems to be fighting with one hand tied behind his back. Where are all those early quality signings we were promised - all I have seen is Luke Berry and some rather significant cuts in the wages bill.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:
    Last season there was only 4 players that I thought were good enough for what we need. 

Blackett Taylor 
    Dobson 
    May
    Small. 

Three have left and one won't sign a contract extension. 

Not bedwetting but fuck me I hope 5 or 6 quality players come in soon. 
    To be fair after watching last season I’d be happy for a whole new starting 11 , Ramsey and Small aside.
    You may well get your wish
  • Options
    edited June 28
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:

Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    I doubt if Jones will last the season if we are not challenging.
    Same. I think we’ll be up there, with or without Alfie.
    Based on what? Can only be pure hope at this point surely, as the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be. 
    The results Jones got out of this squad after he was appointed were good enough for 10th across a full season, not far behind Stevenage who were top six all year until the very end.

He’s now adding the players he wants to the team. We’re not the finished article but I’d be very disappointed if he doesn’t have us in the conversation for top six at a minimum.
  • Options
    IF May is sold, it will be unpopular with a majority of fans regardless of who replaces him and will remain so until the team starts challenging consistently at the top of the division and perhaps not even then. 

Every Alfie goal or assist for Huddersfield will be brought up as further proof of the mistake.

Jones made it clear that he is in charge of transfers and reminded us that he moved on popular players in his first summer at Luton,  but that that lead to great success.

I hope that he isn't just allowing May to move because he wants to recreate that successful strategy at Luton without considering what May is proven to bring to the side.

It seems a very high risk strategy and one that Jones will have to own, either way.

May is not essential to success, no one player is, but he did do his job very well last season. The failings of the side were not down to him.

Yes, "we can do better" but how often have we heard that phrase down the years only to realise that the replacements weren't better but were in fact a lot worse.

May is also a popular player in the stands.  That might seem less important to football people but to fans it matters. Supporters want players they can identify with and get behind and May was one of those, especially when we are being asked to fork out for tickets.

Personally, this doesn't sit at all well with me but we shall have to wait and see how it all plays out over the summer and the season.
    ☝🏽☝🏽
  • Options
    sm said:
    I just hope if it all goes wrong again this season, then our more significant shareholders (whoever they may be!) have made it absolutely clear that it is Rodwell, Scott and Methven heads who are on the block and not the manager's - who despite all the protestations to the contrary yet again seems to be fighting with one hand tied behind his back. Where are all those early quality signings we were promised - all I have seen is Luke Berry and some rather significant cuts in the wages bill.
    And a lot of PR guff!
  • Options
    Not only our best striker but the best striker in the division and if the fee is that low Huddersfield are getting a bargain.
    This is on Jones, I hope it’s not just his ego. Can’t wait to see who he thinks will offer us more than Alfie does
  • Options
    Just had an email from The Club, reminding me to purchase a Season Ticket...great timing lads...🙄