Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    I think everyone has forgotten that CBT wanted to leave and move back up north.
    If you want to see him next season wait until the camera shows the Derby bench.
  • Options
     If Jones can not find a system that Alfie fits into then the Welsh windbag should go 
    I find it difficult to understand why Jones can't find a place in the team for a striker who gives 100% every game & more or less guarantees you 20+ goals a season.

Maybe that was why he was such a failure at Saints & Stoke
    How many goals does he score with his head, or make clearances with his head?

Jesus....I've heard it all now.

That Simonsen bloke was crap. Too small, couldn't defend corners & couldn't out jump their 6ft 3 centre half. So glad we gave him back to Barcelona.
    Bob asked for reasons, I gave some.
  • Options
    edited June 28
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think it's more the replacements that worry me now and getting the right quality of players in that can make a real difference. Might have to be 2 quality strikers and a goalscoring No10 to bridge the gap in goals we're losing. Whoever comes in is going to have to hit the ground running. 
    Very hard to replace last seasons top goal scorer.

The bloke who was second got promoted.

3rd was Devante Cole (?).  I suppose we could try bidding for him. 

Or take a punt on someone who scored 11 goals in this league last season (his best ever). 

I'm glad it's not my decision.
  • Options
    edited June 28
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think it's more the replacements that worry me now and getting the right quality of players in that can make a real difference. Might have to be 2 quality strikers and a goalscoring No10 to bridge the gap in goals we're losing. Whoever comes in is going to have to hit the ground running. 
    Very hard to replace last seasons top goal scorer.

The bloke who was second got promoted.

3rd was Devante Cole (?).  I suppose we could try bidding for him. 

Or take a punt on someone who scored 11 goals in this league last season (his best ever). 

I'm glad it's not my decision.

I think that sums it up quite well, it's a decision that's incredibly difficult but incredibly vital . That's why Scott and NJ are getting paid the big bucks to get this right. 

I wouldn't mind Devante Cole actually as an option he's available on a free 
  • Options
    Devante Cole is pony . No Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 28
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    We won't sign anyone better than May this window. We don't seem to have any interest in replacing CBT despite letting him go 6 months ago. We really struggled to score last season as it is... Can't wait to watch another mid table battle 
    To be fair, we have no interest in replacing CBT because we’re not playing with wingers any more. If we switch to a lb and lw during the game, it sounds like Small and Edwards can play both positions. 

You may be right about the mid table battle, but I’m confident based on the players recruited, the better science department and the most qualified manager we’ve had in years that this will be the best season we’ve had in a while.
    We lost JRS after the 22/23 season, didnt replace him / his goals and finished lower in 23/24.

We've lost CBT in 23/24, haven't replaced him /his goals (because we dont now play with wingers ?) and..........
    We lost 11 games before CBT left
    We only lost 3 games after CBT left. Sounds like we were better off without him.

I’m of course being deliberately provocative there but the point I’m making is that we didn’t need a like for like replacement because he wouldn’t have fit the system the manager wanted to play. Instead they brought in Thierry Small who was far more effective at being a wing back than CBT was.
    But it's the goals we are missing. Losing JRS, then CBT.......and now Alfie

Yes we might not now be playing with wingers but that leaves a problem......

WHERE ARE THE GOALS GOING TO COME FROM.

Jeez......its not rocket science. We've now replaced goal scoring wingers with non-goal scoring wing backs. And now we are going to sell our top goalscorer. 

And its not like we've signed players who can score the goals that we've lost over the last 18 months. I really do hope there is a plan there somewhere because I cant see it.
  • Options
    edited June 28
     If Jones can not find a system that Alfie fits into then the Welsh windbag should go 
    I find it difficult to understand why Jones can't find a place in the team for a striker who gives 100% every game & more or less guarantees you 20+ goals a season.

How many assists did he have?
    How good is he at winning the ball and holding it up to bring others into play?
    Well sorry, but you did ask.

It's clear why Jones doesn't want him starting games.
    Whether that will be the right decision no one knows.
    I'm not happy, but it may or may not be a good decision.
    Yeah they said the same thing about Killer, all he does is score goals. 
    That 1985/86 promotion after he left the club to go to Gillingham must’ve never happened if moving on your top scorer is such a disaster…
    Ha Ha are you for real ? Killer was way past his best at that point hence going to Gillingham FFS, slightly different from the Alfie May situation.
  • Options
    edited June 28
    Mike said:
    Didn't he move down this way to be closer to family?!
    Deflection tactic by these clowns.

Easy to say Alfie wanted to move back due to family reasons.

Total horse****.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t wait for Leaburn to get sold last day of the window 😂
    Can't wait for Leaburn to be fit.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    May has about three seasons left in top level football.   His wife knew his job when they met.

Tell her to wait three years then they have the rest of their lives to spend up North.

The family thing IS bollocks.  Sorry it just is.

You married a footballer!  Ffs
    100% correct supa. 👍
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    RedRobin said:
    Bournesnr said:
    I didn’t want Alfie to go but if his family have been unable to settle here then I understand him moving to Huddersfield.
    Huddersfield to Doncaster 1hr 8min.
    Charlton to Doncaster 3hrs 10min.
    He literally lived further away for a couple of years in Cheltenham, unless it’s quicker to get the Doncaster from there?
    EXACTLY!!!!
    She lived in Yorkshire with the two boys and he lived in Cheltenham.  When they got here he was happy because he was seeing his kids more often and they were together as a proper family.  They were really happy.  So let’s not pin this whole scenario on his wife - she’s really supportive of Alfie.

If Alfie is moving it’s between him and the club
    The club said he can go, so Alfie managed to get a move.  Hopefully on a massive pay rise.
  • Options
    edited June 28
    May going nowhere .. got a new house hour drive from the training ground he joined a local golf club and he has his family around him .. 

F***** slaughtered him.
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Maybe his wife doesn’t like his family
  • Options
    I think it's reasonable to assume Jones may have been told there is very little to spend on transfer fees unless you generate it yourself through sales.

The only fit player who could generate a "large enough"sale fee is Alfie May.
    So if the manager thinks he doesn't fit into the style of play and he doesn't really have the option to keep him as a squad player if he wants to pay fees for others ...
    Plus if May wants to be a regular starter ....
    I've no idea if it'll work out, I'll reserve judgement.
    But we sold Jenkinson, bought a load of replacements and got promoted.
    You are the best poster on here by a mile.
  • Options
    Matty Godden on my mind and he's Charlton number 9 🎶
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I think now the term "trust the process" is quite pertinent

I'm enthused by the purchases we've made and I don't agree with selling Alfie (if we do)- but I do see some logic behind it.  If we get promoted he'll be 32 - his value is never going to be as high as it is right now.  We all know that.
    Another thing to consider is Alfie was late into the game.  He didn't follow the "academy route" and so he maybe doesn't have the diligence Nathan likes in his players.  He wants players that play in zones, not mavericks who drift about - which Alfie has a tendency to do.  You can't argue it's not effective for him but I get the impression it infuriates Nathan.
    Factor in too that Alfie freely admitted to me he needed to be playing regularly and, it would seem, he either was told he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter or he figured it out for himself and so has been looking to move all summer.  We just don't know but the allure of being near his wife's family, presumably being paid more, presumably picking up a nice slice of money for the transfer and working for a manager he really enjoyed.  It all stacks up I suppose.

As much as the rumoured £750k fee seems light - it would be the 3rd largest League 1 to League 1 transfer fee ever (Mo Eisa (24) and our mate John Marquis (27) - both in 2019 the only ones higher) so when you look at it that way you can perhaps see some of the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel here - I just hope it’s not a train coming at me!
    PWR other posts.
    Entirely agree with the comments here, but if May wants to go &/or we are happy to lose to a promotion rival, it shouldn’t be for £750K. If he was a Peterborough player, no way would they be selling him for that, despite his age. Guaranteed goals should mean guaranteed top
    price. 
    JCH went for nothing.
    Out of contract though, Alfie isn’t. 
    Precisely.
    They couldn't sell him/he refused to go, so they got nothing.
  • Options
    I think it's reasonable to assume Jones may have been told there is very little to spend on transfer fees unless you generate it yourself through sales.

So if the manager thinks he doesn't fit into the style of play and he doesn't really have the option to keep him as a squad player if he wants to pay fees for others ...
    Selling Jenkinson was more of a "jam tomorrow" type sale of a talented youngster, where you get the fee because of his potential, rather than his worth to the first team at the moment.

If Jones just wanted the money, then I would imagine he's prefer to sell someone like Zach Mitchell, or even Leaburn if a club is happy to take the injury risk.
  • Options

Jesus....I've heard it all now.

That Simonsen bloke was crap. Too small, couldn't defend corners & couldn't out jump their 6ft 3 centre half. So glad we gave him back to Barcelona.
    Haha 

( He actually went back to Vejle BK his boyhood club)
  • Options
    Devante Cole is pony . No Thanks
    But he's the 3rd top goal scorer in L1   ;)
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Only his brother .. his wife was from Doncaster and they still owned a house up there 
    Doncaster will still be there in two years time, an it’s hardly fecking Australia is it…. ? So don’t believe this the the driver. As said, he wanted to come here to get closer to his home roots.
  • Options

Selling Jenkinson was more of a "jam tomorrow" type sale of a talented youngster, where you get the fee because of his potential, rather than his worth to the first team at the moment.

If Jones just wanted the money, then I would imagine he's prefer to sell someone like Zach Mitchell, or even Leaburn if a club is happy to take the injury risk.
    I doubt we'd get £750K for Zach Mitchell or an injured Leaburn.
    Even if we could get £750K for Leaburn, I'd assume Jones would prefer to keep him as he's big and will likely be worth more in a year or two. May will be worth less in a year or two.
  • Options
    edited June 28

How many assists did he have?
    How good is he at winning the ball and holding it up to bring others into play?
    Well sorry, but you did ask.

It's clear why Jones doesn't want him starting games.
    Whether that will be the right decision no one knows.
    I'm not happy, but it may or may not be a good decision.
    Yeah they said the same thing about Killer, all he does is score goals. 
    That 1985/86 promotion after he left the club to go to Gillingham must’ve never happened if moving on your top scorer is such a disaster…
    Ha Ha are you for real ? Killer was way past his best at that point hence going to Gillingham FFS, slightly different from the Alfie May situation.
    It's really not that different - the club made a different decision to keep Hales for longer and got far less money for him than they could have. If the club made an optimal decision back then, they might've got some money for him 1-2 years before it was evident that he was past his best.

Alfie's percentage of shots on target over the last three seasons have steadily declined from 45% in 21/22, to 41% in 22/23, to 36% while with us. His on target shots last season from non-penalty situations amounted to roughly 13 expected goals but he got 17, likely through a combination of luck and bad goalkeeping. There are arguments to be made that Alfie, on the "wrong side" of 30, is already on a decline and the numbers are going to catch up with him at some point.

All that is to say it's still a massive risk and not one I would personally choose to make without a significant fee being received for him.