Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    What’s Stephen Humphrys up to?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    seth plum said:
    @bolloxbolder is a rock solid long time Charlton fan who follows Charlton at all levels usually in person, he has good extensive football knowledge and his opinions are perfectly valid and welcome. One of the least bollocks speaking fellow fans I have ever encountered.
    Says the person who has probably spoken the most bollocks recently.
    You’re firing out the personals without examples.
    Therefore it is you who are talking bollocks on this occasion.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    What’s Stephen Humphrys up to?
    Breakfast probably
    Weetabix?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

We have to see what the club up there sleeve. It might surprise us.

Either way, I am sure NJ has a plan and for now, that's good enough for me. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    I doubt if Jones will last the season if we are not challenging.
    Same. I think we’ll be up there, with or without Alfie.
    Based on what? Can only be pure hope at this point surely, as the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be. 
    The results Jones got out of this squad after he was appointed were good enough for 10th across a full season, not far behind Stevenage who were top six all year until the very end.

He’s now adding the players he wants to the team. We’re not the finished article but I’d be very disappointed if he doesn’t have us in the conversation for top six at a minimum.
    To get from lower half to top 6 in one window is a challenge. I'd accept top 10 by January and wheel and deal some more to push on for the top 6 from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    Honestly now, this forum is full of adults....players come and go!  :D There is nothing that can be done and you might not like it but you have to get on with it. 

What is all this snobbery about how an adult should feel over Charlton related activity? 

I spend a ridiculous amount of money following and watching Charlton, players like May and Dobson make those drives and shit journies home a bit more bearable. 

If people spend their hard earned, and are sacrificing their time and money to follow this club, it's perfectly acceptable for people to be pissed off when the club makes poor decisions. 

This lethargic approach of 'crying' 'grown adults' 'bed wetters' etc is a complete piss take. It's fans who give a shit about the team venting, all the sniping is proper frustrating to read. 
    Yeah I have to say it's getting pretty tiresome that whenever people on this board show passion for the club or one of its players, they get accused of bed wetting, crying, not being a grown man, etc.

It's called having a passion. We're not armchair Man Utd fans. In Argentina, people cry when they score a goal! 

If you prefer to support from a more distanced place, by all means, but I don't see any need to try and humiliate others fans who are more invested. 
    There’s nothing dispassionate about taking the opposite approach to all this. I have watched almost every Charlton men’s, women’s, youth games that I possibly can. I have plenty of passion for CAFC.

Regarding what @Braziliance about the club making “poor decisions”. On the surface it does seem bonkers, but no one knows yet whether it’s a poor decision or a stroke of genius. Would it still be a poor decision if we get promoted and Huddersfield don’t?

It’s been quite clear from March / April that Jones hasn’t fancied Alfie. We don’t know why and I doubt we ever will. But he is the manager and he will live with the consequences of his decisions.

Everyone six months ago hated the model of players being forced on a manager and wanted the manager to be able to choose his squad. Now we have a manager with the remit to do it and the same people are upset because the manager doesn’t want the striker every fan loves.
    Based on what? Can only be pure hope at this point surely, as the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be. 
    The fact we finished the season strong and signing some good players and just putting the right systems in place behind the scenes . I think it’s a good time to be following Charlton with or with Alfie May.
    Are you on commission to write this unrelenting drivel in support of this joke SMT? Have some pride!
    Have some pride for backing the club and the manager ? Yeah that’s what I’m doing so stop talking waffle , I think the smt have done a good job since they’ve came in apart from
    a few poor decisions . We’re actually being run like a proper football club and that’s what people have been asking for since Roland . Carry on being negative about every little thing sad little man.
    You’re either delusional or on the payroll. Worst season for 98 years mate, it’s embarrassing.
    You’re delusional to blame the new owners for our worst finish after coming in late in the transfer window after taking over Sandgaard who had hardly any systems in place and a poor squad , no I’m not on the payroll I’m just happy we’re being run like a proper football club which was what every one has wanted for years. Stop being rude and use some common sense.
    Appleton, I rest my case.
    Yeah because no one has ever appointed a bad manager before have they even the biggest clubs in the world have , plus Appleton did have some successes it just didn’t work out for us. Any opportunity you lot get to jump on the owners you do . And it’s always the same lot.
    And it can be argued its the 'same lot' who defend all owners/SMT without knowing very little about them or no up turn in results on the pitch
    Well what do we do just keep moaning about owners forever , even though they’re getting everything right off the pitch that’s why I think it will click eventually on the pitch.
  • Options
    If this move happens, and the driving reasons are personal and family, then fair play and totally understandable, if a bit of a shock for the club...but family comes first in everything i'm afraid...
    Not always a choice available to a professional footballer.
  • Options
    It looks to me like the signings that we thought were close like Ahadme and a senior GK are not as done and dusted as we had thought and hoped. With Ruddy it appears he has the opportunity of another golden payday which he’d be mad to reject and with Ahadme the reasons are less clear but no doubt will revolve around money for Ipswich and or the player.  Big couple of weeks for the club because the first eleven isn’t anywhere near good enough as it stands and probably needs four starters at least. 
  • Options
    I hadn’t read the post before mine btw 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Laurens family are all from Yorkshire

Alfies brother, and parents are in West Malling/Kings Hill area

Alfie was home for about an hour last week (Tuesday or Wednesday) and I heard him putting some stuff in the car. Then the kids and Lauren got in and they left and haven’t been home since so I was surprised to see him playing cricket in the area last weekend as I assumed they were up north.

their house is back on the market too so I figured last week this would be the outcome but didn’t want to say as it’s not my place.    

they both loved it here and wanted to stay here but it wasn’t to be.  I think there may be personal reasons playing a part in this too but that’s none of anyone’s business.  
    If he needs to move for those reasons why hasn't he put in a transfer request?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    RedRobin said:
    Bournesnr said:
    I didn’t want Alfie to go but if his family have been unable to settle here then I understand him moving to Huddersfield.
    Huddersfield to Doncaster 1hr 8min.
    Charlton to Doncaster 3hrs 10min.
    He literally lived further away for a couple of years in Cheltenham, unless it’s quicker to get the Doncaster from there?
    EXACTLY!!!!
    She lived in Yorkshire with the two boys and he lived in Cheltenham.  When they got here he was happy because he was seeing his kids more often and they were together as a proper family.  They were really happy.  So let’s not pin this whole scenario on his wife - she’s really supportive of Alfie.

If Alfie is moving it’s between him and the club
    Comes with the territory. For example, Mendonca's wife said she'll live wherever he plays, but on retirement they move back to Sunderland. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Come on we are all Charlton fans and want the best for the club. 
    Can we stop digging each other out please…

• Options
    Grovenuts said:
    What happened to 'we get our replacements in first'!! What happened to 'we are under no pressure to sell until we get our asking price' fucking lies as per usual! sometimes I fucking hate this club 😫🤬😖
    Hey chill mate...🍺
    We haven't sold Alfie yet, now maybe we will, maybe we won't, but at least wait till a decision has been made, I am sure Nathan has all avenues covered, and any replacement lined up should the worse case scenario materialise...🤞
    Maybe not officially but reading Swisdoms posts he's gone. Problem is we've been down this road so many times over the years. Just for once couldn't we bring in a replacement before selling our best (only fit) striker.
    Maybe we will and that's what's holding it up. And why shouldn't we do it in our time as the original plan was never for Alfie to spend just one season here. If it ain't done soon, I wonder if he'll travel to Slovenia? 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:

The results Jones got out of this squad after he was appointed were good enough for 10th across a full season, not far behind Stevenage who were top six all year until the very end.

He’s now adding the players he wants to the team. We’re not the finished article but I’d be very disappointed if he doesn’t have us in the conversation for top six at a minimum.
    To get from lower half to top 6 in one window is a challenge. I'd accept top 10 by January and wheel and deal some more to push on for the top 6 from there.

Oxford did it. 19th in 22/23 (2 points above relegation with 47 points), to 5th in 23/24 with 77 points, winning the playoffs. I don't remember them breaking the bank either. 

MK Dons by contrast went the other way. 3rd in 21/22 with 89 points (missing automatic by 1 point) to 21st and relegation in 22/23 with 45 points!
  • Options
    Whether the reason is May wants to move north or Jones doesn't see him as a main starter, or both of those reasons, we should still be in a position to keep May until the replacement/s is through the door. 

Jones has made it clear that players don't need to move on for financial reasons. So we can keep May until our new striker is signed. Selling May before that signing would be naive. We know from the past that deals can fall through.