Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

12345679»

Comments

• A lot of cognitive dissonance on this thread. “I didn’t like Appleton so when he couldn’t get a tune out of the squad it was his fault”. “ I like Jones so now he can’t get much of a tune out of the squad it’s the players.”

Truth, as usual, probably lies somewhere on between. There is, however a lot of blind faith being placed in Jones. I really hope he delivers but it’s not a racing certainty based on his 16 games here. 
    True but I don't think it's quite as distinct as that. In both cases the players were a problem, whether due to lack of ability or effort. However Appleton is a bad coach/manager so only really got poor performances. Jones managed to organise and motivate the squad to at least get better performance - this squad definitely has a ceiling. Not sure if 13 draws or whatever it was is that ceiling but definitely closer than Appleton and his relegation danger.

• I am seriously thinking of unsubscribing from this thread due to the excessive cognitive dissonance.

Enough is enough!
  • edited April 30
    I am seriously thinking of unsubscribing from this thread due to the excessive cognitive dissonance.

Enough is enough!
    You tell yourself that because you want to believe it, but the truth is you won't.
  • I am seriously thinking of unsubscribing from this thread due to the excessive cognitive dissonance.

Enough is enough!
    You tell yourself that because you want to believe it, but the truth is you won't.
    Very good

Enough is enough!
    Very good
    ‘Very good’ ? Were you a school teacher in the 1960s ?

Enough is enough!
    Very good
    ‘Very good’ ? Were you a school teacher in the 1960s ?
    The other 60's teacher cliche "Must do better" could be applied to our whole season.
  • A lot of cognitive dissonance on this thread. “I didn’t like Appleton so when he couldn’t get a tune out of the squad it was his fault”. “ I like Jones so now he can’t get much of a tune out of the squad it’s the players.”

Truth, as usual, probably lies somewhere on between. There is, however a lot of blind faith being placed in Jones. I really hope he delivers but it’s not a racing certainty based on his 16 games here. 
    Tbf Jones got the team fired up at a crucial stage when we were hovering just above the relegation zone with some of the league’s high fliers to play in succession. 
    How quickly we forget these performances that got us out of the sh1t. 
    I suspect that once we were safe from relegation he just wanted to take a look at different players, different combinations, and different formations. 
  • edited May 1
    JamesSeed said:
    A lot of cognitive dissonance on this thread. “I didn’t like Appleton so when he couldn’t get a tune out of the squad it was his fault”. “ I like Jones so now he can’t get much of a tune out of the squad it’s the players.”

Tbf Jones got the team fired up at a crucial stage when we were hovering just above the relegation zone with some of the league’s high fliers to play in succession. 
    I suspect that once we were safe from relegation he just wanted to take a look at different players, different combinations, and different formations. 
    Yes it seems obvious to me that once we were safe with a few games to go, Jones started experimenting with players that were in the last chance saloon.
    Obviously if you're safe and know for certain who you will be keeping, it makes sense to me to "trial" the players that you are undecided on.
    Seems to have gone unnoticed by the majority.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 1
    JamesSeed said:
    A lot of cognitive dissonance on this thread. “I didn’t like Appleton so when he couldn’t get a tune out of the squad it was his fault”. “ I like Jones so now he can’t get much of a tune out of the squad it’s the players.”

I haven't forgotten anything. You also have to remember that there were up-ticks in form and performances when Adkins, Jackson, Holden and Appleton took over. Things didn't then fall off a cliff under NJ as they did under some of those others and I'm not trying to pretend NJ had no positive impact but I also didn't see huge improvements in things like our set plays, our patterns of play in attack. And I'm not sure he really experimented that much until we were safe and we didn't play that well in a number of matches before we were safe.

I don't want to give the impression that I think NJ did a bad job, he kept us up which was the no.1 target, but he said himself when he joined is he's even vaguely competent at his job he should keep us up. He didn't really do much beyond keep us though.

Maybe that is all because the players just aren't good enough, but I personally believe there's a team within that squad that should do better than it did, even if top 6 was unrealistic.

So, I'm hopeful that NJ will do a good job for us next season, I just don't have the same level of blind faith that he definitely will that some seem to have.
  • JamesSeed said:

Yes it seems obvious to me that once we were safe with a few games to go, Jones started experimenting with players that were in the last chance saloon.
    Obviously if you're safe and know for certain who you will be keeping, it makes sense to me to "trial" the players that you are undecided on.
    Seems to have gone unnoticed by the majority.
    I make you right mate. Some of the formations and player choices were a bit on the "weird" side, but I think he used it to try out players, formations, etc, to better suss out what we have and what we don't have. Results weren't as important this year. A couple of free hits, if you like.

Mind you, it was still pretty shit. So not sure what he learnt about some people, other than a total clearout being needed!
  • Off_it said:
    If Fiorini hasn't been deemed good enough to get into our - frankly, shit - midfield so far this season then God knows why he put him on the bench today. 

And the suggestion I've seen that he would be worth keeping is absolutely mental. Based on what? He can't get into the shitest team we've had since Christ was a carpenter, so I have no idea why anyone would want to sign him.
    If Fiorini hasn’t been getting into this shit team then it isn’t because he isn’t good enough.

I would hope that either we know that we’ve got him for next season and Jones considers him a certain starter already, or that we know we won’t have him at all .

I can only imagine that it’s the latter and that Jones put him on to finally give us a real footballer to entertain us.

Wycombe was my first match of the season so 45 minutes is not enough to judge but Fiorini was by far the best footballer on the pitch on Saturday. I would have loved to see he and May playing together. 

If we have any chance of getting the Fiorini  we saw on Saturday on a season long loan then it’s a must.
  • Off_it said:
    If Fiorini hasn't been deemed good enough to get into our - frankly, shit - midfield so far this season then God knows why he put him on the bench today. 

And the suggestion I've seen that he would be worth keeping is absolutely mental. Based on what? He can't get into the shitest team we've had since Christ was a carpenter, so I have no idea why anyone would want to sign him.
    If Fiorini hasn’t been getting into this shit team then it isn’t because he isn’t good enough.

I would hope that either we know that we’ve got him for next season and Jones considers him a certain starter already, or that we know we won’t have him at all .

I can only imagine that it’s the latter and that Jones put him on to finally give us a real footballer to entertain us.

Wycombe was my first match of the season so 45 minutes is not enough to judge but Fiorini was by far the best footballer on the pitch on Saturday. I would have loved to see he and May playing together. 

If we have any chance of getting the Fiorini  we saw on Saturday on a season long loan then it’s a must.
    Are you messing? He barely touched the ball except sticking an admittedly decent effort onto the bar. The cameos he has had he’s been awful, like a fish out of water. He’s been fit for months and even when he’s played for the U23’s he hasn’t impressed. If he were anywhere near good enough NJ would have been picking him.
  • I’m not messing about at all.

He made enough good, assured touches of the ball to make me feel relaxed and happy about his presence as opposed to many others who can’t even control the ball properly. He made several quality passes of the ball before that free kick to make me say out loud to my son that I hope he take it when it was awarded. 

This reminds me of about ten years ago when I said that the only decent players in the England team were Welbeck and Llanana and got laughed at on CL. They both went on to show better statistics in the Premier League for possession and passes completed.

Fiorini will have a bright future imo. It’s difficult for class to be appreciated when it’s swimming in shit.