Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

Comments

• Off_it said:
    If Fiorini hasn't been deemed good enough to get into our - frankly, shit - midfield so far this season then God knows why he put him on the bench today. 

And the suggestion I've seen that he would be worth keeping is absolutely mental. Based on what? He can't get into the shitest team we've had since Christ was a carpenter, so I have no idea why anyone would want to sign him.
    100%

I feel like that was a nod to the sides we got loans from today.
  • From NJ's prezzer, wholesale changes seem to be high on the agenda, and, what should keep @golfaddick happy, he wants business done early, so he only has 1 or 2 max to join after pre season has started. 
  • edited April 28
    Well, its over, at last.

Game and us were awful from start to finish with 2/3 glimpses of hope.

Echo the thoughts of it being an odd selection but jones woul dhave had his reasons, really, not much to say about the actual game, ref was shite but that effected Wycombe too so to blame the loss on him is just refusing to accept we're pretty wank.

Going forward, happy with Jones and dont believe what we've seen so far is a 100% Jones team, he came in when we were almost down and out and with a bunch of chaff pulled us away from the big R. 
    He said last week after the failed diamond experiment about wanting to be a front footed side and be the ones dictating the play. 

Think Jones does believe in the league one promotion mantra of athletic, hard working, 100% players that are going to get through a long grueling season, with a splash of quality to top it off. Wouldnt worry too much about the now FACT that jones doesnt want May and he's out the door, especially given the previous quote above.

Season - 3/10

Special mention to Lau Lau, was desperate from him to get on the ball as much as possible as it was like some sort live DnD where ever action he tried to make he kept failing his role checks. 

• edited April 27
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Low standards... Low, low, low...
  • edited April 27
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    No, he wasn't. All the plaudits for his free kick effort forgetting that his next shot nearly went out for a throw in.
    The free kick was it wasn't it? Or did he do something else I missed?

Edit, should really have quoted JamesSeed for this. 
  • I would love to know what's going on at the training ground. Jones says every week he picks the best 11, most of which look either crap or at the very least, inconsistent.

I'm wondering what T Taylor, L Watson, Camara et al are doing to be BELOW that level.

Again I'll trust there's a system and a logic in place behind all of this, because without that blind hope there's really no point being a football fan.

Season is over now, but renewed my ST yesterday for no rational reason, just fingers crossed it'll be good.

Nathan Jones and company, over to you.

• Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Certainly came closest to scoring...
    Did he? Wasn't even on target.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    But was still the closest we came to scoring.
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Except the shot the keeper saved which was at least on target.
  • swordfish said:
    msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    What was your mark for Appleton, mine was 1 out of 10!
    Yet his win percentage with us is higher than Jones's. I remember people piling scorn on Appleton for having such a low win ratio. That's not to say that I don't think Jones is a better manager and he's had less defeats obviously, but people claimed Appleton was a fraud and that whoever appointed him should be fired and that both shouldn't be allowed to work in football again.

Anyway, in the old points predictions, was anyone a winner on 53?  
    Does Appleton’s win ration include cup games? I’m pretty sure that jones wouldn’t have a 50% win ratio against cray valley
  • swordfish said:
    msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    What was your mark for Appleton, mine was 1 out of 10!
    Yet his win percentage with us is higher than Jones's. I remember people piling scorn on Appleton for having such a low win ratio. That's not to say that I don't think Jones is a better manager and he's had less defeats obviously, but people claimed Appleton was a fraud and that whoever appointed him should be fired and that both shouldn't be allowed to work in football again.

Anyway, in the old points predictions, was anyone a winner on 53?  
    Does Appleton’s win ration include cup games? I’m pretty sure that jones wouldn’t have a 50% win ratio against cray valley
    I'm not sure Wiki includes all cup games, but it must include some as @Callumcafc has posted the league games tally elsewhere. I assume either Peace or Fleming won a match as Callum's stats only show 10 wins.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Yes. He hit the wood work with the keeper beat. Lua lua had a game shot straight at the keeper. By my book, footing came closest to scoring for us today.
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    The statement wasn’t who had a shot on target, it was that he came closest to scoring. He did come closest to scoring and I’m really struggling to understand your point
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    The statement wasn’t who had a shot on target, it was that he came closest to scoring. He did come closest to scoring and I’m really struggling to understand your point
    Well surely a shot at goal that the keeper saves must be closer to scoring than a shot that hits the frame of the goal. Take the keeper out of the equation.....one goes in & the other hits the frame of the goal. 🤷‍♂️.

I do wonder sometimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Well surely a shot at goal that the keeper saves must be closer to scoring than a shot that hits the frame of the goal. Take the keeper out of the equation.....one goes in & the other hits the frame of the goal. 🤷‍♂️.

I do wonder sometimes.
    What have I started now...

So, the free kick came closest, it had the keeper beaten all ends up, and was just two inches from scoring, and a lot more skillful than a toe punt "hit and hope"...now the "on target" shot was as tame as it comes, and I dare say golfie, you could have saved it with one hand tied behind your back, so to call that the closest we came to scoring is just not on...
    Take the keeper out of the equation, what sort of argument is that!!...🙄
  • edited April 27
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Alfie May League One top scorer (again).
    Jones is not keen on him , madness 
    Worryingly, Curbs seems to agree with you. He reckons Jones likes big powerful players and maybe doesn't see May as his type of player.

And Brownie chipped in and said it wasn't great tje way Jones kept taking him off.

I hope we are just over thinking this and May is a first pick next season.
    It’s a team game and if that’s what Jones wants to do then we’ll have to trust him.

I’ll swap having the golden boot winner for a competent team that can win games on a regular basis in a heartbeat.
    It would be total fucking madness to get rid of May. 
    We just finished 16th in League One. Nothing should be off the table at this moment in time.
    If we hadn't signed Alfie May we'd have finished a lot lower than that
    You’re right. But that doesn’t change anything, nothing should be off the table if we want to buy in to what Nathan Jones wants to build.

Is there a reason why Alfie keeps scoring lots of goals but his teams finished 15th, 16th and 16th in this league?
    Can you suggest a reason? 
    Nope, I don’t have any suggestions. You’d think having a goalscorer would be a good thing but it doesn’t always equal success and that can be for a lot of reasons. I’ll leave that up to the people whose job it is to figure out.

My point is if we are a serious football club in any shape or form, everyone’s place in the team should be in question. That includes May who is my current favourite player. 
    Thing is Callum, thats all very well if you have a big budget. Well even if you do, strikers use up the most of it. We already need at least two. Are we banking on Miles getting back to full fitness, staying fit and staying with us. Huge ask that. i hope he will be but if he starts performing again, he’ll br sold in Jan and we’re back to square one. 

Alfie’s the biggest asset we have in that squad unless Miles comes roaring back and is ready to stay. Every business has a budget. Sometimes you have to tell a manager, thats the limit, now get on with it.

That really deflated me, the whole thing today. Playing Fiorini was just weird and then all the Alfie stuff. I thought we finally have a manager who basically seems to make decisions that look rational, like Curbs did, and now I’m not so sure. 
    I’m not saying get rid, I’m really not. He has qualities that won’t be easily replaced, especially for the price we paid for him twelve months ago.

What I am saying is I won’t be jumping up and down in fits of rage (like some on here saying he should hand in a transfer request because he got subbed…) if he starts next season on the bench.
  • Five games without a win 

Jones out 
  • edited April 27
    Think Jones sums everything up pretty well in his post match interviews. Hope the big summer ahead is not gonna be a repeat of previous "big summers" though.

Also confident in the management team of Jones, Hart and Flemming going forward n all.

Let's see where this takes us - Vol 156
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    But that wasn't even close to going in.
  • A decent day for me if you ignore the dire football in the middle. Wycombe's ground is really inconveniently located, but there's some lovely countryside near it.

Sadly I'll have to talk about the match instead. Some odd team selections today, and am a bit puzzled why Ness got hooked at HT when it was Thomas who struggled. Indeed it's odd how he's criticised the defence in recent weeks YET picked the same players regularly.

A desperate lack of creativity in the first half, other than giving it to Small and hoping he could create something.

Thought Fiorini had his most effective appearance for us, which isn't saying much to be fair, and Campbell at least posed a threat.

Terrible ref just added to the fun. At least Wycombe stock Rebellion beer. Their IPA is a nice pint.