Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

Comments

• https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1784224469717749924?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g

”Can’t be sentimental with these decisions, have to be bold … got as far as we can with this group, the group got us safe but League One safety can’t be Charlton’s ambition and benchmark”
    Can see all apart from Campbell being released on this wording.

We'll try to keep Tyreece because he's still a youngster and has potential, or we'll offer a small contract so we at least get compensation
  • “All I’ll say to the fans is there’ll be a categorically different squad than the one that’s out there right now. There has to be. Otherwise it’ll be a tough season again.”
     Doesn't sound 100% convinced there does he.
  • RedPanda said:
    Highlight was the red kites flying over the ground.

Has the contract & release list been on CL lately?
    Release the Pigeons, bring in some Red Kites.
  • Bailey said:
    msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    Anyone else agree with this, I bet there's more than one?
    I don't.  It seems unfair as when Jones came in we were massively in the shit with seemingly no way out.  14 games unbeaten with what is a terrible squad, and surviving comfortably, is worth more than 5/10 IMO.
    There are always posters who want the manager out, goes with the nature of being a football supporter really, 'we have to blame someone for this mess, might as well be him'. That said, we all knew that Appleton was a wrong choice, and if he had remained at the helm we might well have dropped through the trap door, for me there was always one thing worse than Appleton and even Holden, and that is this squad. We have two goalkeepers who are not good enough, centre backs who are not good enough, a forward whose stock position is on the bench because he cannot play more than 20 mins and cannot be risked to start.  It's the largest squad that I can remember and the worst set of players that I can remember. 
    Jones said it himself in his post match interview, we are carrying too many passengers.
  • Jones blaming the defence for always conceding a goal, but if you do then you only need to score two! This team going forward is as big a worry if not bigger. 
  • I think quite a few of those players knew that this would be the last game in a Charlton shirt. It showed. Dreadful squad overloaded in numbers and mediocre players. Quite how Jones will shift out enough dross to build something is a worry. I suspect we’ll need to release some of them with a payoff. Defence is appalling and with the exception of Small and Ramsey and probably Ness are all not good enough. Massive work to be done there alone. Midfield has no playmaker or goal threat. Campbell looked worth persevering with today and Fiorini should be offered something I think. I don’t think Alfie is a Jones type of striker but he’s just won the League One Golden Boot again so it would be a big bold and brave move by Jones to get rid. Hard to sell it to the fans and could blow up in his face if we don’t replace with someone who scores as many. Couple of weeks ago I thought we needed about six definite starters to come in. I think I was being conservative. Shit season so over to the money men to make sure it’s not another shit summer window. In Jones we trust.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1784224469717749924?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g

“Clean sheet record isn’t good enough. Under three managers who have all tried to fix it, we can’t all be bad”

“Big personnel changes in the summer, won’t name names but it’s not been good enough if we want to be a force next year”

”Can’t be sentimental with these decisions, have to be bold … got as far as we can with this group, the group got us safe but League One safety can’t be Charlton’s ambition and benchmark”

”We’ve done what we had to do, stark reality is we had to get away from a tough position … season is done now”

“Today was not good, horrible place to play especially when they get a lead because they know how to slow a game down and take the sting out”

”I’ve never lost here until today but five minutes in, diving in in the box we gave them exactly what they wanted … but that’s happening regularly here, we concede a goal every week”

”We’re limiting it to a goal a week and that gives us a chance to get points but it’s not good enough going forward”

“Carrying too many passengers, made HT changes because they weren’t contributing … how long do they stay on and get a chance to change it while risking giving Wycombe the second half initiative again”
    Wasn't there so perhaps someone who was there or watching on tv can comment - was May a passenger & not trying ?  Doesn't seem to me to be that type of player. Quite the opposite. I've seen him charging around trying to win the ball back even in defensive positions. 
  • kentred2 said:
    Jones blaming the defence for always conceding a goal, but if you do then you only need to score two! This team going forward is as big a worry if not bigger. 
    No team ever gets promoted by needing to score two every game
  • “All I’ll say to the fans is there’ll be a categorically different squad than the one that’s out there right now. There has to be. Otherwise it’ll be a tough season again.”

“Big summer ahead. Will remember this game because it’s reiterated what I already knew. But apart from that we’ll have to move on quickly.”
    The 2024/25 season starts here then.

Expecting the retained list to be released very early in & signings starting to be made by early June.
  • edited April 27
    I think quite a few of those players knew that this would be the last game in a Charlton shirt. It showed. Dreadful squad overloaded in numbers and mediocre players. Quite how Jones will shift out enough dross to build something is a worry. I suspect we’ll need to release some of them with a payoff. Defence is appalling and with the exception of Small and Ramsey and probably Ness are all not good enough. Massive work to be done there alone. Midfield has no playmaker or goal threat. Campbell looked worth persevering with today and Fiorini should be offered something I think. I don’t think Alfie is a Jones type of striker but he’s just won the League One Golden Boot again so it would be a big bold and brave move by Jones to get rid. Hard to sell it to the fans and could blow up in his face if we don’t replace with someone who scores as many. Couple of weeks ago I thought we needed about six definite starters to come in. I think I was being conservative. Shit season so over to the money men to make sure it’s not another shit summer window. In Jones we trust.
    Alfie might a Jones type of player if we bought a player in to work up front with him Shooters. I can't see May departing, if for no other reason, that he could end up with another club in the same division.
  • edited April 27
    What Callum said, but he's simplified it

“Clean sheet record isn’t good enough. Under three managers who have all tried to fix it, we can’t all be bad”

“Big personnel changes in the summer, won’t name names but it’s not been good enough if we want to be a force next year”

”We’ve done what we had to do, stark reality is we had to get away from a tough position … season is done now”

“Today was not good, horrible place to play especially when they get a lead because they know how to slow a game down and take the sting out”

”I’ve never lost here until today but five minutes in, diving in in the box we gave them exactly what they wanted … but that’s happening regularly here, we concede a goal every week”

”We’re limiting it to a goal a week and that gives us a chance to get points but it’s not good enough going forward”

“Carrying too many passengers, made HT changes because they weren’t contributing … how long do they stay on and get a chance to change it while risking giving Wycombe the second half initiative again”
    Wasn't there so perhaps someone who was there or watching on tv can comment - was May a passenger & not trying ?  Doesn't seem to me to be that type of player. Quite the opposite. I've seen him charging around trying to win the ball back even in defensive positions. 
    No worse than anyone else. I couldn't name a MOTM match 

With @Stewart and he agrees, they were all crap
  • edited April 27
    Bailey said:
    I think quite a few of those players knew that this would be the last game in a Charlton shirt. It showed. Dreadful squad overloaded in numbers and mediocre players. Quite how Jones will shift out enough dross to build something is a worry. I suspect we’ll need to release some of them with a payoff. Defence is appalling and with the exception of Small and Ramsey and probably Ness are all not good enough. Massive work to be done there alone. Midfield has no playmaker or goal threat. Campbell looked worth persevering with today and Fiorini should be offered something I think. I don’t think Alfie is a Jones type of striker but he’s just won the League One Golden Boot again so it would be a big bold and brave move by Jones to get rid. Hard to sell it to the fans and could blow up in his face if we don’t replace with someone who scores as many. Couple of weeks ago I thought we needed about six definite starters to come in. I think I was being conservative. Shit season so over to the money men to make sure it’s not another shit summer window. In Jones we trust.
    Alfie might a Jones type of player if we bought a player in to work up front with him Shooters. I can't see May departing, if for no other reason, that he could end up with another club in the same division.
    I think the club will listen to offers for any player. That’s not to say we’d sell but I don’t think any player, May included wouldn’t be sold if the right offer came in. 
  • There was nothing in that performance to convince me to buy a season ticket for next year. I’m waiting to see who Jones brings in and gets rid of. The defence is shambolic at times. We don’t have a great deal going forward, no width. We might have a super, dooper pitch for next season but it’s going to be wasted if we don’t have the team.
  • Went to Peterborogh (first game) and today both 1-0 loses under different managers.

Overall for this league we are too light weight. Kanu was awful today and went down constantly - he needs to be sent on loan again. After an awful first half our subs improved things slightly and Campbell ran at the defence and won some free kicks - he is also a little lightweight and his positioning off the ball showed a severe lack of confidence or ability to read the game which is concerning. Again he should go on loan to build his confidence. 
    We give them a gift at the start and then they defend well and limit our chances.

I suspect Nathan will want to build a stronger more physical team for next season that can better break down these types of lower division sides. I wonder if this was Alfies last game in a Charlton shirt? I certainly hope not as see a role for a player that gives it all for the shirt. Saying that if we sell him and half the rest and do we'll next year no one will remember!!!! 

Off to enjoy my allotment now for a few months. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    kentred2 said:
    Jones blaming the defence for always conceding a goal, but if you do then you only need to score two! This team going forward is as big a worry if not bigger. 
    No team ever gets promoted by needing to score two every game
    This is true! But the point remains that the goal threat is minimal. 
  • First touch of some of our squad is beyond abysmal. Players are caught flat footed, surprised to see a ball played towards them. 
    Dead ball and set pieces are lacking skill and quality. 
    The GK, position has been a sore point with me for ages. 
    Most of the players are just not up to the standard we need to push on. 
    Jones has his work cut out over the summer, and will need the owners to fund appropriately. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Certainly came closest to scoring...
  • edited April 27
    LoOkOuT said:
    Alfie May League One top scorer (again).
    Jones is not keen on him , madness 
    Worryingly, Curbs seems to agree with you. He reckons Jones likes big powerful players and maybe doesn't see May as his type of player.

And Brownie chipped in and said it wasn't great tje way Jones kept taking him off.

I hope we are just over thinking this and May is a first pick next season.
    Is it possible that Jones thinks May doesn’t work without a big fella alongside him, (despite Alfie scoring loads with a variety of partners)?

Weird that he picked Fiorini today, when we thought he was a write-off. 
    And hilarious that the City loanee decided to finally make his mark (a bit) when it must surely be too late. 

“Big summer ahead. Will remember this game because it’s reiterated what I already knew. But apart from that we’ll have to move on quickly.”
    The 2024/25 season starts here then.

Expecting the retained list to be released very early in & signings starting to be made by early June.
    Probably not true, but the first time I heard his name mentioned was when he was substituted. 
  • Looking forward to the next Welcome to Wrexham