Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

Comments

• edited April 28
    Just watched the NJ interview.
    Christ he looks a broken man. The squad he thought might be half good turns out to be far from it.
    Got a hell of a job on now and  don't he know it.
    This might take two seasons to put right.

Feels like we've been Truss'd
    Interesting take. 'Broken man'? And you know what he thought and what he now knows? 

I must confess to not having a clue about the 'Truss'd' reference.

But thanks for sharing and perhaps it will make sense to somebody.

• Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Certainly came closest to scoring...
    Did he? Wasn't even on target.
    But was still the closest we came to scoring.
    Except the shot the keeper saved which was at least on target.
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    The statement wasn’t who had a shot on target, it was that he came closest to scoring. He did come closest to scoring and I’m really struggling to understand your point
    Well surely a shot at goal that the keeper saves must be closer to scoring than a shot that hits the frame of the goal. Take the keeper out of the equation.....one goes in & the other hits the frame of the goal. 🤷‍♂️.

I do wonder sometimes.
    Oh, right. I get it. It's some sort of weird "family logic" the two of you have going on.

Meanwhile, back in the real world with the adults, the free kick that hit the bar was the closest we came to scoring.
    Two bald men fighting over a comb.
  • Leuth said:
    UEAAddick said:
    Wouldn't be mad if we turned up to next season with the majority of this squad gone. 

In fact, it's what needs to happen if we have any chance of escaping this division. 

People are defending defenders when we've had 5 clean sheets all season
    Mostly only one poster on here is saying that to troll for attention 
    Like fuck am I. I'm completely serious. This 'troll' line is bullshit, cut it out. I offer my opinion just as everyone else does. Only one opinion really matters: Jones'
    Funny though how you knew it was you he was alluding to. Cap fits, wear it. 
  • https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1784224469717749924?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g

“Clean sheet record isn’t good enough. Under three managers who have all tried to fix it, we can’t all be bad”

“Big personnel changes in the summer, won’t name names but it’s not been good enough if we want to be a force next year”

”Can’t be sentimental with these decisions, have to be bold … got as far as we can with this group, the group got us safe but League One safety can’t be Charlton’s ambition and benchmark”

”We’ve done what we had to do, stark reality is we had to get away from a tough position … season is done now”

“Today was not good, horrible place to play especially when they get a lead because they know how to slow a game down and take the sting out”

”I’ve never lost here until today but five minutes in, diving in in the box we gave them exactly what they wanted … but that’s happening regularly here, we concede a goal every week”

”We’re limiting it to a goal a week and that gives us a chance to get points but it’s not good enough going forward”

“Carrying too many passengers, made HT changes because they weren’t contributing … how long do they stay on and get a chance to change it while risking giving Wycombe the second half initiative again”
    Wasn't there so perhaps someone who was there or watching on tv can comment - was May a passenger & not trying ?  Doesn't seem to me to be that type of player. Quite the opposite. I've seen him charging around trying to win the ball back even in defensive positions. 
    The weird team selection and formation didn't work. Wycombe are very Physical so I can see why he'd take May off before Kanu, however the replacements were even more bizarre to be honest 
  • Jones garnered a good work ethic to get us out of the Appleton carnage 
    I’m not convinced
    a) he’s good enough to get us promoted and
    b  ) he’ll be given enough decent players to give himself a chance

3%    Automatic promotion
    30%   Play offs
    65%   7th-12th
    2% bottom half 

• Jones arrived in January. That was the best business done then and with him in charge we're now set up for another season in L1, which wasn't assured otherwise and there's plenty to do before the start of it. Did Methven suggest otherwise? No, so no delusional thinking there and I don't believe he makes decisions on what players we need.
  • Serious investment is required to re build this bottom half of table league one team.
    who will be playing the likes of Wrexham and Stockport next season 👎👎👎
  • Sponsored links:

• As that’s our worst finishing position for nearly 100 years, it stands to reason that this is the worst team that any of our fans (long serving and of more recent vintage) have ever seen. And bearing in mind that without Jones coming in, these same players would more than likely have got us relegated it could have been even worse.

Given Jones’ comments about looking at the players to inform decisions about who to keep, maybe May, Ness and Anderson were all hooked at half time yesterday because he knows he wants to keep all three, and he wanted to look at others for a whole 45 minutes.
  • Jones garnered a good work ethic to get us out of the Appleton carnage 
    I’m not convinced
    a) he’s good enough to get us promoted and
    b  ) he’ll be given enough decent players to give himself a chance

3%    Automatic promotion
    30%   Play offs
    65%   7th-12th
    2% bottom half 

I think I'll take those percentages. A one in three shot at the top six. Alas that feels about right. All said blindly as August is a way off yet and the squad will surely look so different. It'll be better if Plymouth rather than Brum come down I'd say. Crawley to win the League Two playoffs would be good so that's one of the bottom four slots filled already along with Stevenage. We'd only need to find two worse outfits to avoid thenkind of Hellish season we've just endured. 
  • edited April 28
    All this wholesale changes, is fine if you can move players on, I understand that out of contract players not offered new contracts, but you can’t move on contracted players unless they want to go. The board are going to have to invest massively . More than they realise, if they don’t nothing changes and Jones will walk. But saying that, his team selection and changes were bordering on madness. Sorry but no sane Manager can pick Lua Lua in the squad put Forini on and leave Coventry on the bench.
  • Well that's it finally over on what has been on another disappointing season 
    That game summed us up
     it's hard to  believe at times some of these players are professional 
    We only started to play after 60 mins & like our season it's just not good enough  as I was like everyone else hoping we would finish on a high to give us some hope going into next season but once again 
    Just left with the feeling is this shit ever going to change 

• All this wholesale changes, is fine if you can move players on, I understand that out of contract players not offered new contracts, but you can’t move on contracted players unless they want to go. The board are going to have to invest massively . More than they realise, if they don’t nothing changes and Jones will walk. But saying that, his team selection and changes were bordering on madness. Sorry but no sane Manager can pick Lua Lua in the squad put Forini on and leave Coventry on the bench.
    How do you know how much they think they they need to spend. Has it been said?
  • Sponsored links:

• It was a nothing game.  Convinced NJ played some of the players he wanted to make a final decision on - maybe Fiorini is a possible perm transfer?  Who knows…but first half so dire I fell asleep and missed the second half - am entitled to a £5 refund??
  • edited April 28
    Charlie Methven in midweek was saying how our January business had been so crucial as it sets us up for next season or similar.
    Jones today talking of huge change needed and the squad being nowhere near good enough.
    The messaging is off between them.
    People thinking we are doing an Ipswich and the ownership are twitching to chuck money at us yet our "unfunded" January window where we had to go to them with a begging bowl was almost all paid for by CBTs transfer fee wasn't it.
    Glass half empty tonight.
    this is a concern - methven did seem to think the 'ownership group' had pulled it out the bag in january but largely they brought in a load of chaff and i wouldn't be bothered if they were all replaced this summer - i haven't watched the last few games but NJ does seem to be coming in for a bit more stick than he had a few weeks back - as i see it, he hit on a formula that kept us up through being competitive and working hard - once safety was achieved, he's being speaking a bit more frankly about the ability of the squad and teeing up the big changes that are needed - i think he has done his bit - kept us up - we now have to hope the 'ownership group' do their bit and back him with the re build coz the transfer business done in january wasn't a platform to build on - offload everybody out of contract (bar dobson if possible and small ) and send back all loans as a starting point and lets hope NJ is backed rather than walks. I'd say it will be one or the other and the other would be a disaster.  
  • The only good thing about yesterday was the announcement that CharltonTV will be back next season. 
    Even if the format is, as yet, unknown that’s excellent news for us International Addicks!
  • edited April 28
    All this wholesale changes, is fine if you can move players on, I understand that out of contract players not offered new contracts, but you can’t move on contracted players unless they want to go. The board are going to have to invest massively . More than they realise, if they don’t nothing changes and Jones will walk. But saying that, his team selection and changes were bordering on madness. Sorry but no sane Manager can pick Lua Lua in the squad put Forini on and leave Coventry on the bench.
    Just depends on why he was doing it doesn’t it? Your comment would be correct if we needed something from the game, to avoid relegation for example. Calling him insane at this stage isn’t helpful. 
    The annoying thing is that Fiorini played much better than he has before for us, after I’d written him off as a no hoper. Can clearly take a free kick, and actually looked quite combative in midfield, winning some tackles. 
    And for those now writing off Chuks, he still contributed yesterday when he came on. He was a handful as always, and nearly set up an equaliser for Tupac. 
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    The statement wasn’t who had a shot on target, it was that he came closest to scoring. He did come closest to scoring and I’m really struggling to understand your point
    Well surely a shot at goal that the keeper saves must be closer to scoring than a shot that hits the frame of the goal. Take the keeper out of the equation.....one goes in & the other hits the frame of the goal. 🤷‍♂️.

I do wonder sometimes.
    Oh, right. I get it. It's some sort of weird "family logic" the two of you have going on.

Meanwhile, back in the real world with the adults, the free kick that hit the bar was the closest we came to scoring.
    To be honest I've not seen either so I'm only going on whats been said on here.

IF, the shot that was saved would have gone in if it had not been saved.....ie, it was between the posts & below the bar then logically it was the closest we came to scoring because the other one HIT THE BAR....and so wouldn't have gone in.

Jesus. 
    So you are making silly comments aimed at other posters such as “I do wonder sometimes” without actually seeing both chances?

based on your logic golfie

i think next years kit isn’t as nice as this years, despite not seeing it

I haven’t been to either the savoy or the ritz but the ritz is better 

yep, I do wonder sometimes!!!!!!
  • Surprised to see Ness scoring fours. He looked solid enough playing right in front of us. Misplaced a pass that went out of play. He also played a forward pass to Kanu that got intercepted, but that was more because Kanu was on his heels - he’s not a natural target man. Otherwise I thought he was fine against a pretty physical Wycombe attack. Getting subbed at half time didn’t reflect a bad performance if that’s what people are assuming?

• Given Jones’ comments about looking at the players to inform decisions about who to keep, maybe May, Ness and Anderson were all hooked at half time yesterday because he knows he wants to keep all three, and he wanted to look at others for a whole 45 minutes.
    Then why not say that when questioned ? 

But he didn't - he actually said something along the lines of they weren't trying. 

When someone tells you something then listen. 
  • It's interesting that Appleton took more points from his first 16 games than Jones did, but the reaction of fans after the former's 16th game (Orient away) was vitriolic whilst after yesterday the consensus is constructive, even optimistic.

Obviously the post-Orient catastrophic run of form did happen subsequently and Jones had to rebuild from that (albeit with a much stronger squad) but that wasn't known at the time.  

• edited April 28
    Davo55 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Strange how fans see things so differently. I think Fiorini was poor. Barely contributed anything apart from the free kick that hit the bar.
    I agree. Yes, the free kick was good but every cameo he has played, including yesterday, he has looked pretty ineffective to me. I am sure his counter would be that he hasn't had enough minutes to show what he can do. However, I am not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze.