Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

Comments

• Tbf to Jones and other League 1 managers (and below), it must feel like polishing a turd week in week out, if you're not in the top 2 or 3 after the first 9 or 10 games.

Reckon it must also feel a bit like you're picking your least shit eleven as opposed to picking your best at times, with a couple of exceptions.
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Certainly came closest to scoring...
    Did he? Wasn't even on target.
    But was still the closest we came to scoring.
    Except the shot the keeper saved which was at least on target.
    The statement wasn’t who had a shot on target, it was that he came closest to scoring. He did come closest to scoring and I’m really struggling to understand your point
    Well surely a shot at goal that the keeper saves must be closer to scoring than a shot that hits the frame of the goal. Take the keeper out of the equation.....one goes in & the other hits the frame of the goal. 🤷‍♂️.

I do wonder sometimes.
    Jesus…..me too.

take the keeper out of the equation is just like me saying raise the height of the bar by 2 inches and we would have scored.

okay, let’s put it this way. What chance had you and the rest of our fan base jumping up thinking it was in. 

A) fiorini hitting the frame
    B) lua lua passing the ball to their keeper

You know the answer is a but you are golfie golfing!!!
  • Golfie is sounding like an xG merchant..!

LuaLua’s shot the only one with an expected goals on target value (0.07).
  • Love the emoji typo
  • msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    Anyone else agree with this, I bet there's more than one?
    I don't.  It seems unfair as when Jones came in we were massively in the shit with seemingly no way out.  14 games unbeaten with what is a terrible squad, and surviving comfortably, is worth more than 5/10 IMO.
    A firm 7.5 from yours truly.
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    The statement wasn’t who had a shot on target, it was that he came closest to scoring. He did come closest to scoring and I’m really struggling to understand your point
    Well surely a shot at goal that the keeper saves must be closer to scoring than a shot that hits the frame of the goal. Take the keeper out of the equation.....one goes in & the other hits the frame of the goal. 🤷‍♂️.

I do wonder sometimes.
    Oh, right. I get it. It's some sort of weird "family logic" the two of you have going on.

Meanwhile, back in the real world with the adults, the free kick that hit the bar was the closest we came to scoring.
    To be honest I've not seen either so I'm only going on whats been said on here.

IF, the shot that was saved would have gone in if it had not been saved.....ie, it was between the posts & below the bar then logically it was the closest we came to scoring because the other one HIT THE BAR....and so wouldn't have gone in.

Jesus. 
  • Croydon said:
    msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    5 out of 10? We were the closest we've ever been to relegation to the fourth tier when he joined and in a death spiral. The team is filled with random players who can't stay fit and don't suit his way of playing and he still kept us up with weeks to spare. These players are soft, traumatised nothings and if we'd made the wrong choice of manager we'd be talking about away trips to Harrogate next season. He deserves credit just for keeping these losers from the trapdoor. He'll be judged on next season when he's had a chance to shape his squad but he's done wonders this season with a bunch of absolute cowards and clowns
    What would you rate him so far then? I'd say anywhere between 5-7/10 is fair 
    Hard to say really. I do agree that the jury is out because Jones expects a specific style from his players and we're not equipped for that but I'd give him an 8 based on what he actually had to work with when he came in and what he had to accomplish. It's easy to forget just how screwed we were. When we came in in February we hadn't won a match since 28th November and that was quite frankly by accident. Two Alfie May penalties in a 2-1, Cheltenham basically won it for us. In that time we'd conceded 7 goals in the last 10 minutes of games, 4 of them in injury time. We'd had a run of some of the worst teams in the league - Cambridge, Burton, Port Vale, Northampton, Bristol Rovers - and hadn't beaten one of them. 
    After the Reading game we had to play the teams who ended this season in 7th, 3rd, 1st and 2nd. We got 6 points from that and didn't lose against any of them. Think back to how inevitable that last minute goal for Northampton felt at The Valley and the lightyears of difference in feeling when the final whistle went at Pride Park just one month later. After that we did the job we needed to, didn't let anyone beat us until the final day and we were actually safe at the start of March. Things have drifted as we've gone on and the players have looked jaded and ready for their Charlton careers to end but there was a time around February when it felt like we were genuinely going to be in League Two when this day came around. My hope is that if he can pull those kinds of performances out of players he doesn't want and who don't want to be here then with his preferred players he can do more. He gets a big score from me for making my blood pressure stay level for the past couple of months and he starts fresh in the summer when he can be properly judged.
    This. Jones has at the very least enabled me to go from Grrr to Meh at full time. Not enough for me to feel happy, more mildly content. 

If more than half of this team stay, I'd put a big lump on us not reaching the play-offs.

Our lack of clean sheets is the key. To many midfield and defensive players just aren't good enough to get us promoted. If May isn't good enough, then what Jones is really saying, is we need 24 new faces. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 

I do wonder sometimes.
    Oh, right. I get it. It's some sort of weird "family logic" the two of you have going on.

Meanwhile, back in the real world with the adults, the free kick that hit the bar was the closest we came to scoring.
    To be honest I've not seen either so I'm only going on whats been said on here.

IF, the shot that was saved would have gone in if it had not been saved.....ie, it was between the posts & below the bar then logically it was the closest we came to scoring because the other one HIT THE BAR....and so wouldn't have gone in.

Jesus. 
    The blokes on a wind up. Must be. Nobody is that fcuking stupid.
  • So here's the poll ok, which one was closest to us scoring...🙄

Fiorini bar = Like
    Lua Lua toe punt = LOL

I would have LOL'd that for the blatant attempt at LIKE farming, but I'm in the shot that hit the underside of the bar and bounced out camp.
  • edited April 27
    aliwibble said:
    So here's the poll ok, which one was closest to us scoring...🙄

Fiorini bar = Like
    Lua Lua toe punt = LOL

I would have LOL'd that for the blatant attempt at LIKE farming, but I'm in the shot that hit the underside of the bar and bounced out camp.
    Ali...as if!!
    How could you, I'm cut to the quick...🤷‍♂️
  • Valley11 said:
    NJ post match intv is an interesting watch. Particularly around Alfie May. ‘Those three players weren’t contributing’
    Is there a chance he gets rid? 
    May didn’t have a great 45 if we’re honest. 
  • Off_it said:
    If Fiorini hasn't been deemed good enough to get into our - frankly, shit - midfield so far this season then God knows why he put him on the bench today. 

And the suggestion I've seen that he would be worth keeping is absolutely mental. Based on what? He can't get into the shitest team we've had since Christ was a carpenter, so I have no idea why anyone would want to sign him.
    Well unfortunately he was probably our second best player today. 
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Arguably it was Tyresce who was closest to scoring. Brilliantly set up by Chuks he smashed his shot goalwards, only for it to be blocked by a defender who celebrated like he’d scorned the winner away to Fleetwood. 
  • edited April 27
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Arguably it was Tyresce who was closest to scoring. Brilliantly set up by Chuks he smashed his shot goalwards, only for it to be blocked by a defender who celebrated like he’d scorned the winner away to Fleetwood. 
    One more option for your poll @eastterrace6168
  • Golfie is sounding like an xG merchant..!

Which is mental when you consider Tyreece’s effort was point blank. 
  • Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Didn't think the ball reached TC, and was cleared before then?
  • Sponsored links:

• RedPanda said:
    Highlight was the red kites flying over the ground.

Has the contract & release list been on CL lately?
    Cool. Had an NZ falcon shred a sparrow in my garden the other day. Made my day. The sparrow was less impressed. 

Some of Jones comments about the squad have been raptorial. Either he’s confident of a big budget or he is talking to make sure he gets one. But based on what he’s saying, like the sparrow  this squad will re reduced to feathers in short shrift.
  • Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, Fiorini was good. 
    Didn't think the ball reached TC, and was cleared before then?
    It reached him, but it was a great block. Happened right in front of me. 
  • LouisMend said:
    Asked if he had already made his mind up on his squad before the last few weeks of the season, Jones said: “Absolutely. [The last few weeks have been] just reiteration for me."

Hopefully this is why we've seen the likes of Thomas, and less of the likes of Edmonds-Green... Doesnt matter too much if the latter hasn't been involved, he will most likely be here next term so can be part of the squad prep when we get to Pre-Season.

Its the likes of Hector and Thomas etc. he's needed to see more of, see if they're worth keeping around.
    I agree. It's the only sense that I can make, as to why you would play the worse players.
    You've chosen your players for next season, so they need no "trials" and you don't want them injured.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Golfie is sounding like an xG merchant..!

Ah I was being a little tongue in cheek because I was using on target values and because we only had one shot on target in the match it was the best by default.

Tyreece’s shot was the highest xG chance we had by the traditional measure at 0.09. Would’ve been higher if there wasn’t a defender stood directly in front of him.
  • JamesSeed said:

Ah I was being a little tongue in cheek because I was using on target values and because we only had one shot on target in the match it was the best by default.

Tyreece’s shot was the highest xG chance we had by the traditional measure at 0.09. Would’ve been higher if there wasn’t a defender stood directly in front of him.
    Ah, but using "Golflogic", if the defender wasn't there then it was a goal. So really we drew that game and the unbeaten run continues, or something like that.
  • Just watched the NJ interview.
    Christ he looks a broken man. The squad he thought might be half good turns out to be far from it.
    Got a hell of a job on now and  don't he know it.
    This might take two seasons to put right.

Feels like we've been Truss'd
  • JamesSeed said:

I looked from behind the goal that he must score. Tbf it was a great block (he wasn’t standing in front of him).