Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

Comments

• Talk in the studio about Alfie not flavour of the month as far as Nathan is concerned, he has been pulled off a few times lately, once when he was on a hat-trick, very strange but could sound a concerned note if proves right, hopefully just a squad rotation thing to check out personnel...🤞
  • Reasons for optimism - owners who are sorting out the “back office” and infrastructure and who are committed to a promotion push / a manager who has had success at this level and in the Championship.

What we also know is that even with a better manager it is not possible to make bad players good. And we just have too many bad players.

• LoOkOuT said:
    Alfie May League One top scorer (again).
    Jones is not keen on him , madness 
    Worryingly, Curbs seems to agree with you. He reckons Jones likes big powerful players and maybe doesn't see May as his type of player.

And Brownie chipped in and said it wasn't great tje way Jones kept taking him off.

I hope we are just over thinking this and May is a first pick next season.
  • I always hate losing to teams that were non-League when I was a kid. I’m getting used to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm hoping/straw-clutching that Jones has treated the last few games like an early pre-season, rotating, experimenting, giving minutes to fringe players.  If not, the team selections have been baffling.

Not for the first time, we end April desperately hoping for a massive squad overhaul, and a long list of departures 
  • Lowest league finish in 98 years. Just think about that for a minute. 98 bloody years! Absolute disgrace. If there is to be a significant improvement next season, some player's contracts will have to be cancelled. I hope the owners are willing to inject funds for that and the cost of recruiting replacements. 
  • Oh scotty 🥺
  • It's over at last.
    Horrible season. Not my worst ever, 08/09 is going to take some beating, as is 15/16 but it's probably up there in third. It's interesting that Jones' first and final games were his only losses. The first game he hadn't had a chance to get his ideas across, and by the last it was clear he was working with a smaller squad and even that was filled with players who knew they probably wouldn't be there next season. A real hodgepodge where we were so unsuited to his way of playing that Anderson was all but undroppable in the advanced midfield spot and even he didn't really suit it. We got through the relegation fears with hard work but it's clear what we've got is dead in the water and you could increasingly see that in the players once we were safe.
    Today was pretty meaningless. He gave a few players their final runs out on the pitch and tried some stuff. The fact none of it worked isn't exactly a bad thing, he can take that bad to the owners and start fresh with his summer signings. Hopefully we'll get him the players he wants and we can enjoy the football again next season.
  • Croydon said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Alfie May League One top scorer (again).
    Jones is not keen on him , madness 
    Worryingly, Curbs seems to agree with you. He reckons Jones likes big powerful players and maybe doesn't see May as his type of player.

And Brownie chipped in and said it wasn't great tje way Jones kept taking him off.

I hope we are just over thinking this and May is a first pick next season.
    It’s a team game and if that’s what Jones wants to do then we’ll have to trust him.

I’ll swap having the golden boot winner for a competent team that can win games on a regular basis in a heartbeat.
    It would be total fucking madness to get rid of May. 
    We just finished 16th in League One. Nothing should be off the table at this moment in time.
  • Sponsored links:

• they weren’t playing in red so that’s something positive to take from the game 
  • edited April 27
    msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    5 out of 10? We were the closest we've ever been to relegation to the fourth tier when he joined and in a death spiral. The team is filled with random players who can't stay fit and don't suit his way of playing and he still kept us up with weeks to spare. These players are soft, traumatised nothings and if we'd made the wrong choice of manager we'd be talking about away trips to Harrogate next season. He deserves credit just for keeping these losers from the trapdoor. He'll be judged on next season when he's had a chance to shape his squad but he's done wonders this season with a bunch of absolute cowards and clowns
    What would you rate him so far then? I'd say anywhere between 5-7/10 is fair