Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Despite how crap we may be or worse we could get in future, I don’t think I’ll ever tire of reading @oohaahmortimer family matchday adventures with his 4 kids; Petrol Head, Boffin, Peter Kay and Little Shit :-)

please don’t ever stop going mate 
    Put like that it could make a decent Adult Swim series - especially when you throw in the sweary, chocoholic, IBS victim dad.
  • I’ve supported Charlton since my first game aged five in 1961. Not once in all that time, not once have I ever considered it even a remote possibility of CAFC dropping into the fourth tier of English football. It’s never really crossed my mind. I think last nights result has now convinced me that it’s all over. We’re getting relegated. 15 games to go but I see nothing at all that gives me reason to be hopeful. Port Vale have three games over us and that I think will be enough for them to leapfrog us. We have Bolton, Derby and Portsmouth looming with the real prospect of zero points. I’m glad Jones is in place because he’s good enough to get us back up if he’s given support and resources. I’ve been thinking that the club has bottomed out for seasons now but it’s obvious we’re not there yet. Perhaps rock bottom is now in sight. 
    I don’t think it’s over, but I think it’s looking very bleak. The idea that some seem to have that we can just write off the next three matches and then miraculously start winning from Northampton away onwards seems far fetched to me. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Definitely some positivity from last night - again we've kept the opposition to 1 or 2 opportunities all game.

We deserved to win but didn't - that can happen but the nature of the performance was much improved.  There was passion, heart and desire there.

What was missing was creativity.  We need someone who can unlock the door - last night Lincoln had 11 men behind the ball the majority of the game and we tried going round, through and over and it was almost impenetrable.  Largely because we were a bit ponderous in possession but chiefly because we didn't have the creativity needed,

The other thing we lack is shithousery.  We are too fucking nice.  Other teams come and kill a game with theatrics and we just let it happen.  After the goal last night we had momentum then suddenly there's an "injury", a melee, a delay taking the kick (yellow card given), then another delay (another yellow card given) but by the time the game restarted 4 or 5 minutes have passed, the momentum is all gone, the crowd has gone flat and the potentially sticky patch for Lincoln is no longer an issue.  We don't have people that can do that and we need it sometimes.  As much as I hate it....if you can't beat them.

The next 3 games are as tough as they can possibly get at this level so I am not hopeful.  We all know Ricardo Santos plays like Beckenbauer against us and we rarely get a result at Bolton - so Charlton being Charlton we'll go and win it 0-2 :-)

I still believe
    Pretty sure Santos is injured 

And, yes I believe still - Charlton are pushing my buttons to the extreme at the moment, but one thing we have improved on is having a manager who is like an ADHD child who has been force fed 10 packets of Smarties before the game - he is so animated, shouting, encouraging, calling out poor play etc - compare that to the previous shower of shite, who just stood there doing jack shit - they definitely had multiple rockets fired up their collective arses at half time, as they put a shift in (at last) 
  • We were clearly set up to be ineffective for 60-70 minutes with the hope that we'd keep it level for when Chuks, Camara and Ladapo could come on. 

Sadly due to our customary defensive lapse that resulted in a goal they came on to chase the game rather than force a winner.

I expect we'll see similar performances from here till the end of the season, as it's all we've got.
    You can't surely believe that is how football works?? Setup to be ineffective for 60-70 mins and hope 3 subs change the game?

I have read some absolute drivel on here this morning so no offence to commenting on your post but this was the most recent thing I had read.

• Agree with all of that, and yes I noticed Ladapo seemed to ‘stick it’ to us when he scored, although why he did it front of the Curbs stand is beyond me, surely Covered End should have incurred his wrath 🤷

Personally, I think he should drop May into ‘the hole’ behind a front 2, as he looked much more effective in that role earlier in the season IMO - but does Jones have the players to allow him to play May in that way - dunno ?
    Agree re May. Problem is who the two in front of him would be. Chuks can’t play 90 mins. Ladapo has stated that he’s not a hold it up striker. Kanu is all raw effort at the moment. In the absence of Miles we’re short of strikers on the bench. It’s a conundrum. 
  • Jones system at Luton was long diagonals to big men up front, perfet for Ladapo and Aneke, keeping them fit is imperative but we all know that.
    Wonder where that leaves Alfie next season, if we stay in League 1
  • Gribbo said:
    REG & Thomas were absolutely hopeless last night. Thought Jones was brilliant though
    Thought REG was okay tbh
    Agree. I thought he was better than OK. Looks a proper player to me. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Jones system at Luton was long diagonals to big men up front, perfet for Ladapo and Aneke, keeping them fit is imperative but we all know that.

As a 10 maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 14
    Valley11 said:
    Jones system at Luton was long diagonals to big men up front, perfet for Ladapo and Aneke, keeping them fit is imperative but we all know that.
    Looking at Luton promotion seasons under Nathan Jones, their two top scorers were

2018/19 - Collins (25-goals) (6ft 2in) - Lee (12-goals) (5ft 11in)
    2017/18 - Hylton (21-goals) (5ft 11in) - McGeehan (10-goals) (5ft 11in)

Then his one full season in the Championship

2021-22 - Adebayo (16-goals) (6ft 4in) - Cornick (12-goals) (5ft 9in)

So doesnt really look as though May's height (5ft 9in) will necessarily count against him in Jones' system - It just looks as though he'll potentially have a big target man next to him, like what we're seeing with Ladapo or Aneke
  • Valley11 said:

As a 10 maybe
    He will be sold ,along with Miles
  • Is Jones post match interview on video, and if so could someone post it on here please ?
  • Is Jones post match interview on video, and if so could someone post it on here please ?
    There is this one...

• edited February 14
    Is Jones post match interview on video, and if so could someone post it on here please ?
    https://www.charltonafc.com/video/player/0_cz78m3kz?
  • Sponsored links:

• Jscore: Taking off Alfie when we needed a goal and leaving the invisible Bakinson on was just weird. DK had been just as ineffective up til then - Claiming we were outstanding 2nd half is just silly.  Best 55 minute performance in a while but that bar is so low.  Overall there only seem to be positives cos it's just been so shit.  We still look like a team falling fast 
    ISTED: relatively quiet night
    R.E.G: a bang average Charlton defender 😞
    JONES: barely a bang average Charlton defender 😢
    THOMAS: best of a bad bunch
    RAMSAY: lively if rash in the tackle, bang average Charlton fitness/robustness 😢
    DOBBO: not quite as overworked as usual, made up for the weak header with a goal saving challenge after running back 60+yards late on
    BAKINSON: prominent early on but weak when it mattered, faded early and faded badly, needed the hook at half time
    ANDERSON: makes the most of what he has, his effort and doggedness are valuable in this powder puff squad
    T.WATSON: a mixed night, good to see him in the box with chances, less good to see how he executed them
    MAY: had no service at all, only Dobbo works as hard, his withdrawal was weird, he's always our most likely to score
    KANU: had barely any decent service, looks to be getting stronger
    ANEKE: good job his bonce is tougher than his hamstrings/groin/glutes/back/etc (at time of writing!) with Alfie alongside would have been so much more dangerous
    LADAPO: his one touch was successful! giving it back to the Addickted was bang out of order after the inexcusable dross he's served up, did nothing else in 30 minutes
    CAMARÁ: brought fresh(ish) legs but little else of note - replacing the absent Bakinson should have been transformative but he wasn't was he?
    Referee:  completely spineless with all Lincoln's shithousery and time wasting - added on 10 minutes 2nd half of which Lincoln wasted not less than 4 minutes including 2 substitutions he didn't add that on - tbf we could still be playing now and wouldn't have got a 2nd 😟
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Jscore: Taking off Alfie when we needed a goal and leaving the invisible Bakinson on was just weird. DK had been just as ineffective up til then - Claiming we were outstanding 2nd half is just silly.  Best 55 minute performance in a while but that bar is so low.  Overall there only seem to be positives cos it's just been so shit.  We still look like a team falling fast 
    ISTED: relatively quiet night
    R.E.G: a bang average Charlton defender 😞
    JONES: barely a bang average Charlton defender 😢
    THOMAS: best of a bad bunch
    RAMSAY: lively if rash in the tackle, bang average Charlton fitness/robustness 😢
    DOBBO: not quite as overworked as usual, made up for the weak header with a goal saving challenge after running back 60+yards late on
    BAKINSON: prominent early on but weak when it mattered, faded early and faded badly, needed the hook at half time
    ANDERSON: makes the most of what he has, his effort and doggedness are valuable in this powder puff squad
    T.WATSON: a mixed night, good to see him in the box with chances, less good to see how he executed them
    MAY: had no service at all, only Dobbo works as hard, his withdrawal was weird, he's always our most likely to score
    KANU: had barely any decent service, looks to be getting stronger
    ANEKE: good job his bonce is tougher than his hamstrings/groin/glutes/back/etc (at time of writing!) with Alfie alongside would have been so much more dangerous
    LADAPO: his one touch was successful! giving it back to the Addickted was bang out of order after the inexcusable dross he's served up, did nothing else in 30 minutes
    CAMARÁ: brought fresh(ish) legs but little else of note - replacing the absent Bakinson should have been transformative but he wasn't was he?
    Referee:  completely spineless with all Lincoln's shithousery and time wasting - added on 10 minutes 2nd half of which Lincoln wasted not less than 4 minutes including 2 substitutions he didn't add that on - tbf we could still be playing now and wouldn't have got a 2nd 😟
    Other than all that, had a good night yea?
  • If we show the desire and the tempo we displayed in the 2nd half, we will survive.... Chucks is crucial but Camara definately made a difference, starts the move for the goal with the header into Chuvks then without hesitation runs to the right of Ladapo creating space for the shot.

Its Tin hats time. I think it goes down to the wire. We will drop in to the bottom 4 at some point. I think we will scrape it, quite possibly on the final day.
  • I'd hate to watch Lincoln every week. It's effective, but they really grind games out, creating very little and happy to sit behind the ball.

Last night was always going to be grim viewing, as they leave little space and are really hard to break down. 3 goals conceded in their last 6 games, holding Derby and Posh to 0-0s.
  • edited February 14
    Valley11 said:
    Gribbo said:
    REG & Thomas were absolutely hopeless last night. Thought Jones was brilliant though
    Thought REG was okay tbh
    Agree. I thought he was better than OK. Looks a proper player to me. 
    Funny how we all see things so differently. I think I sit somewhere between you both with my opinions on his performance last night.
  • Personally thought it was the right call to take Alfie off. Like others have said he has a lot of credit in the bank but he's ineffective up front in this system, wouldn't mind him given a go as the 10. Kanu showed more yesterday to be kept on over Alfie.

The issue is this system evidently only works when you have someone like Aneke up top, so can see it being the same slow start every week until he gets his cameo.
  • Good interview by Jones (thanks to those who put it up on here, following my request) - I don’t disagree with anything he said - correct lacking quality, but at least they showed desire - they are clearly playing for him - they weren’t for Appleshit 
  • Our first half performance lacked quality not desire & commitment, did not think it was as bad as some others on here. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Thought REG was okay tbh
    His distribution is absolutely woeful. Not convinced by him positionally either.