Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• I’ve supported Charlton since my first game aged five in 1961. Not once in all that time, not once have I ever considered it even a remote possibility of CAFC dropping into the fourth tier of English football. It’s never really crossed my mind. I think last nights result has now convinced me that it’s all over. We’re getting relegated. 15 games to go but I see nothing at all that gives me reason to be hopeful. Port Vale have three games over us and that I think will be enough for them to leapfrog us. We have Bolton, Derby and Portsmouth looming with the real prospect of zero points. I’m glad Jones is in place because he’s good enough to get us back up if he’s given support and resources. I’ve been thinking that the club has bottomed out for seasons now but it’s obvious we’re not there yet. Perhaps rock bottom is now in sight. 
    This post attracted a lol. Probably the least funny thing I’ve ever posted and I’ve posted a loads of old shit. 
    It shouldn't have attracted a lol Shooters, far from it. Everyone saw some sort of improvement but for me we threatened only when Chuks was introduced not, for all their endeavour, when  Alfie and Daniel Kanu were on the pitch.  Lincoln only stopped causing us regular problems because Chuks, Camara and Lapado kept the ball upfield, it was worth going route one for that reason. I think that everyone on here believes that Chuks is pivotal to our survival but those same people are praying to the heavens that he can stay fit for the last fourteen games, its probably worth remembering that the last time he did that was under Adkins. 
  • You do realize we have gained only 6 points from are last 14 matches. 
    Glad you are feeling confident @cullumcafc.
  • The difference Chuks presence makes, both in galvanising his team mates and frightening the opposition was so stark.
    We are weak and flaccid without him.
    Whether we stay up or not may rest his fitness and availability in the run in.
    On a side note, I found myself really irked by Ladapo's reaction to his brilliant goal.
    His team mates were thrilled for him, the crowd were delighted - what is your fcuking problem?
    Engage the crowd and they will cheer you through brick walls.
    Really, if you don't want to be here, just fcuk off
    Having watched the highlights I also don’t understand Ladapo,s reaction. Don’t know if a remark came from crowd but that’s not normal.
    Your on loan we are paying you don’t like go back home to Ipswich. Easy.
    Depends on what was said to him I’d guess. 
  • Stig said:
    ross1 said:
    Not watched the game so always read comments and players marks. I am now confused, some said Dobbo was one of top players and would have lost without him, others mark him low.
    I know we all have our favourites but I do not think I have seen so many  extremes on our marks before. Be interested to see when LL does his stats.
    The truth is probably somewhere in-between those two extremes. On the positive side, he played the game in the same battling spirt we've come to expect. He worked tirelessly, tackled hard and led by example. On the downside he gave the ball away rather sillily on a couple of occasions and in his role as key dead-ball taker he wasn't particularly inspiring or accurate. Overall it was a decent performance from him, but by no means one of his best. 
    It wasn't his best game with the ball, but you couldn't question his commitment.

Indeed Dobbo seemed really pumped up, and was a lot more animated and talkative than usual
  • edited February 14
    The difference Chuks presence makes, both in galvanising his team mates and frightening the opposition was so stark.
    We are weak and flaccid without him.
    Whether we stay up or not may rest his fitness and availability in the run in.
    On a side note, I found myself really irked by Ladapo's reaction to his brilliant goal.
    His team mates were thrilled for him, the crowd were delighted - what is your fcuking problem?
    Engage the crowd and they will cheer you through brick walls.
    Really, if you don't want to be here, just fcuk off
    Having watched the highlights I also don’t understand Ladapo,s reaction. Don’t know if a remark came from crowd but that’s not normal.
    Your on loan we are paying you don’t like go back home to Ipswich. Easy.
    I think some players pay more attention to social media, and even forums, than they’re supposed to. And he was probably getting a lot of stick from the crowd up at Reading, if not before. I can imagine how he felt, if I’m honest. 
    I’m sure he’ll get more positivity from the crowd after that goal though. 
    One thing about the game. It was noticeable in the highlights that the two players who’d had the worst games up at Reading were busting a gut to get the winner yesterday. Tennai and Tayo. I wonder if that’s the Nathan Jones effect?
  • My feeling from Ladapo was just that he was giving it a bit of an arrogant 'that's what I do' sort of peacocking. Lots of players do that, glad to see Lewis Coaches wants to send him back for not celebrating enough though, that'll fix up our chances
  • My feeling from Ladapo was just that he was giving it a bit of an arrogant 'that's what I do' sort of peacocking. Lots of players do that, glad to see Lewis Coaches wants to send him back for not celebrating enough though, that'll fix up our chances
    This seems to be confirmed by the post match interview by the lad. 
  • Sponsored links:

This seems to be confirmed by the post match interview by the lad. 
    Yeh, just watched that.
    He cuts a likeable and engaging figure in that interview, somewhat at odds with the 'don't look at me, don't touch me, don't come near me' reaction to his goal.
    I prefer to see a bit of grin and milk the applause response, but I guess his was more Jerome Thomas than Conor McGrandles
  • Does anyone know if Ramsey's injury was serious?
    I would imagine so. We don't do minor injuries. 
  • Billy Mix unveiling hitherto unseen levels with giving Ladapo 1 in Player Marks. Truly awe-inspiring 
  • Swisdom said:
    Definitely some positivity from last night - again we've kept the opposition to 1 or 2 opportunities all game.

We deserved to win but didn't - that can happen but the nature of the performance was much improved.  There was passion, heart and desire there.

What was missing was creativity.  We need someone who can unlock the door - last night Lincoln had 11 men behind the ball the majority of the game and we tried going round, through and over and it was almost impenetrable.  Largely because we were a bit ponderous in possession but chiefly because we didn't have the creativity needed,

The other thing we lack is shithousery.  We are too fucking nice.  Other teams come and kill a game with theatrics and we just let it happen.  After the goal last night we had momentum then suddenly there's an "injury", a melee, a delay taking the kick (yellow card given), then another delay (another yellow card given) but by the time the game restarted 4 or 5 minutes have passed, the momentum is all gone, the crowd has gone flat and the potentially sticky patch for Lincoln is no longer an issue.  We don't have people that can do that and we need it sometimes.  As much as I hate it....if you can't beat them.

The next 3 games are as tough as they can possibly get at this level so I am not hopeful.  We all know Ricardo Santos plays like Beckenbauer against us and we rarely get a result at Bolton - so Charlton being Charlton we'll go and win it 0-2 :-)

I still believe
    That Sean Roughan was an absolute piece of shit. Got Kanu booked through his theatrics and then grinned at the crowd and tried to get Camara sent off by showing off a neck scratch to the 4th official. He was so annoying that he turned the ref against them because he'd visibly had enough of his antics.  Not Sure how he didn't receive a yellow card for the deliberate foul on Kanu, therefore he should have got his marching orders for what went on afterwards. 
  • Not sure how he didn't receive a yellow card for the deliberate foul on Kanu, should then have got his marching orders for what went on afterwards! 
  • Croydon said:
    Has anyone got the link to Ladapo's post match interview?
    Here he is, complete with egg sized lump on his forehead ... Ladapo: 'It was special for me to score' | Charlton Athletic Football Club (charltonafc.com)
  • Of course not the result everyone was hoping for but the overall performance certainly showed encouraging signs for the weeks ahead. Dobbo was the fulcrum in the middle of the park doing his determined best to keep us moving. Yes he was responsible for that error which lead to a stunning strike by Hackett who is probably not going to catch one so sweetly again this season. Chief engineer Scotty had been meddling with the transporter leaving Dobbo in transition between different planets not knowing whether he was coming or going. Thankfully Nathan intervened and Dobbo was beamed back to the Valley where he belongs. 

Dobbo’s passing was shall we say a little questionable at times but his 40 yard sprint back to intercept the Imp invader (after TW failed to send him into orbit) was pure Dobbo. 

The introduction of Chuks and Ladapo at the expense of May and Kanu was much needed. Alfie was getting frustrated despite working his socks off as per usual. Chucks of course made his presence count immediately supplying the leveler for the Addicks.

Let hope and pray we can keep Chucks fit for the remaining fourteen games. 

Certainly signs of a recovery are there in my humble opinion fingers crossed everyone for the no doubt bumpy ride ahead

• Sponsored links:

• Absolutely absurd stats. 

This is why I said our season was hindered when he got injured, if he was fit for every game, we would be nowhere near the relegation zone.

He's so good. If he had a bit of an engine, and didn't have his injury woes, he's a top championship player easily. A true cheat code for us and might be the reason we avoid the drop. Fingers crossed he can play his part in every game.
    Appleton the bellend over playing him 
  • Leuth said:
    Billy Mix unveiling hitherto unseen levels with giving Ladapo 1 in Player Marks. Truly awe-inspiring 

His marks for our other strikers equally incredible 
  • ButtleJR said:
    We certainly upped a gear after the subs, and much as I love Alfie, he wasn't getting too far last night, but start Saturday with a front two of Ladapo and Chuks, with Alfie as a true 10, we will in effect have a trio striking set up, could prove fruitful...long as Chuks can stay fit...🙄
    Personally think it's not worth the risk starting Chuks to potentially lose him for the rest of the season and put ourselves in even more danger of relegation. 

Agreed - chucks has to be used very carefully -unleash him for half hour then rest him up like a ming vase until the next game and repeat 
  • There  should be some kind of enquiry as to why Appleton was not sacked after the Gillingham cup game fiasco. Nathan Jones showing more passion on the touchline in one game than Appleton did all season. Surely that's better for the players and the crowd. Heads should roll after the Appleton appointment may well take us down.
    Sincerely hope the man is finished in professional football! 
    I was at the Gillingham game and was shocked by what I saw. It should have been a wake up call but I thought we would improve.
  • OK sorted - pack the defence with defensive players : 4 from : jones,(didn't he play well )  Ness Hector/ REG / Ramsey/  , Thomas let Dobson do his thing bring in camara and Backinson to be a bloody long legged nusisance then put Kanu, Lapado and Aneke up front and bully the life out of the oppostition's back four until we are theee or four up the defend for the rest of the game . Not football  it is but winning stuff !!!!