Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• The strategy to me seems clear and it's one that I'd agree with, given our lack of attacking options. Stay in the game until Chuks and other "cameoists" such as Camara, can be introduced to claim the point(s).

• edited February 14
    Not watched the game so always read comments and players marks. I am now confused, some said Dobbo was one of top players and would have lost without him, others mark him low.
    I know we all have our favourites but I do not think I have seen so many  extremes on our marks before. Be interested to see when LL does his stats.
  • Davo55 said:
    More fight and at least it's better than another defeat. But we aren't going to stay up by scraping draws. We need wins.

Like the look of Ramsey - just hope he isn't injured. Hopefully just cramp but worried it's his hammy.

If Chuks was fit for just 45 minutes every game we'd be a lot higher in the league.

Glad Dobbo is still here but it wasn't his best game for us tonight. Poor header that led to their goal.
     A few on here slated Dobbo for the header, I've only seen it the once but my initial thought (& I'll watch it again later) was what was he supposed to do with it ?
    That and nobody else in red reacted at all
  • REG & Thomas were absolutely hopeless last night. Thought Jones was brilliant though
    Defensively both were fine. Their distribution was poor, but that's also down to having nobody to pass to, a combination of lack of movement in midfield, and the way Lincoln closed us down.
  • Look back at their goal, it wasn't that bad a header by Dobson, but look at Bakinson's reaction to it, it is disgraceful.
    I think he was off balance when the ball bounced over him.
  • REG & Thomas were absolutely hopeless last night. Thought Jones was brilliant though
    Defensively both were fine. Their distribution was poor, but that's also down to having nobody to pass to, a combination of lack of movement in midfield, and the way Lincoln closed us down.
    Yeah i'll give you they both were fine defensively. But that was massively offset by the blind cross field balls to no one but the opposition time after time.
  • Overall the second half looked a bit more like it and something we've not seen for a while and maybe something to work on. 

However, the one thing I think that will probably send us down is the new players signed/loaned this window in particular had less than 30 games between them! (with the exception of Ramsay) Coventry, Bakinson, Gillisphey, Ramada Green, Ladapo (2 starts only for Ipswich) and Fiorini.

Just on its own it was madness signing unfit players who clearly need a pre season warm up. 

Trouble is we can't wait for them to be up to speed.

If you add Camera Aneka and Thomas who probably should have some BUPA membership by now, it's a fecking mess and that's without Dobbo and Cbt adding to the situation. 

Whoever convinced the money men to agree these deals throughout the season should be held accountable as they are solely responsible for this. 

Its almost a deriliction of duty and I hope whatever league we are in next season that there is cull of this Board as its been as shocking to watch as all the other disasters that we've endured in the 15 years. 

• We certainly upped a gear after the subs, and much as I love Alfie, he wasn't getting too far last night, but start Saturday with a front two of Ladapo and Chuks, with Alfie as a true 10, we will in effect have a trio striking set up, could prove fruitful...long as Chuks can stay fit...🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Read a few ramdom posts, but mostly PWR, and I am sure somewhere someone else has pointed this out to the "oh we created no chances" brigade. We had five shots on target to their one. Their one coming from our error (as always).    

Still looking more likely to go down than stay up, but try and be honest rather than pretend things have not happened if they don't suit the narrative you wish to persue.   
    Did they not hit the post as well?

Yes - but they don't count as "on target". 
  • Simonsen said:
    The strategy to me seems clear and it's one that I'd agree with, given our lack of attacking options. Stay in the game until Chuks and other "cameoists" such as Camara, can be introduced to claim the point(s).

I think I can see the flaw in this plan at least for the next three games and that is that by the time the plan is implemented, the opposition will be over the hills and far away. I’m seriously doubtful that we can keep a clean sheet again this season. 
  • Someone in the fan's bar said the US owners were in there before the game and chatting to fans, not seen it mentioned on here? Anyone catch what they said
  • Hopefully the new fella from Brighton has only one task between now and May and that's keep Chuks available for every game even on limited minutes, he changed the dynamic yesterday 
  • The difference Chuks presence makes, both in galvanising his team mates and frightening the opposition was so stark.
    We are weak and flaccid without him.
    Whether we stay up or not may rest his fitness and availability in the run in.
    On a side note, I found myself really irked by Ladapo's reaction to his brilliant goal.
    His team mates were thrilled for him, the crowd were delighted - what is your fcuking problem?
    Engage the crowd and they will cheer you through brick walls.
    Really, if you don't want to be here, just fcuk off
    Having watched the highlights I also don’t understand Ladapo,s reaction. Don’t know if a remark came from crowd but that’s not normal.
    Your on loan we are paying you don’t like go back home to Ipswich. Easy.
  • ButtleJR said:
    We certainly upped a gear after the subs, and much as I love Alfie, he wasn't getting too far last night, but start Saturday with a front two of Ladapo and Chuks, with Alfie as a true 10, we will in effect have a trio striking set up, could prove fruitful...long as Chuks can stay fit...🙄
    Personally think it's not worth the risk starting Chuks to potentially lose him for the rest of the season and put ourselves in even more danger of relegation. 
    Ok, I can see your reservations, and can see Chuks as the impact second half sub, and in that case start Fred and Kanu, with Alfie in a 10, I just feel he will prove better suited to that role, and maybe get Chuks on later, but we need to utilise Chuks' strengths, or we could be relegated with him sitting on the bench...
  • Does anyone know if Ramsey's injury was serious?
  • Croydon said:
    ButtleJR said:
    We certainly upped a gear after the subs, and much as I love Alfie, he wasn't getting too far last night, but start Saturday with a front two of Ladapo and Chuks, with Alfie as a true 10, we will in effect have a trio striking set up, could prove fruitful...long as Chuks can stay fit...🙄
    Personally think it's not worth the risk starting Chuks to potentially lose him for the rest of the season and put ourselves in even more danger of relegation. 
    Don't even look at him til 65 mins and put a shock collar on him that buzzes any time he ventures more than 35 yards from the opposition's goal.
    Didn't know Chucks was into BDSM but who am I to judge! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we know why Coventry wasn't in the 18 last night. 
    Has his agent read the small print and found a loop hole exit strategy?
  • Do we know why Coventry wasn't in the 18 last night. 

Tactical: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-boss-jones-on-his-decision-to-omit-conor-coventry-and-louie-watson-from-matchday-squad/
  • Valley11 said:
    Gribbo said:
    REG & Thomas were absolutely hopeless last night. Thought Jones was brilliant though
    Thought REG was okay tbh
    Agree. I thought he was better than OK. Looks a proper player to me. 
    We all see the game different I guess. Was poor from where I was sat and has been in all of his performances so far.
  • hermann said:
    Do we know why Coventry wasn't in the 18 last night. 

Tactical: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-boss-jones-on-his-decision-to-omit-conor-coventry-and-louie-watson-from-matchday-squad/
    At least he didn’t have a tight calf.
  • Leuth said:
    Seen some low ratings/slaggings of Anderson. I thought he was good. He gave us presence and fight. We'll need that
    Agreed he's still a bit raw but really put himself about and tried to get it forward - Bakinson on the other hand was poor.
    Anderson was at Bromley meeting a few weeks ago. He's a very nice lad, and learning his trade. He did his best and certainly put himself about the pitch last night. At his stage of career any criticsm should be directed at NJ for picking him rather himself for his performance. For my money in a dogs-dinner of game he did as well as any.
  • I’ve supported Charlton since my first game aged five in 1961. Not once in all that time, not once have I ever considered it even a remote possibility of CAFC dropping into the fourth tier of English football. It’s never really crossed my mind. I think last nights result has now convinced me that it’s all over. We’re getting relegated. 15 games to go but I see nothing at all that gives me reason to be hopeful. Port Vale have three games over us and that I think will be enough for them to leapfrog us. We have Bolton, Derby and Portsmouth looming with the real prospect of zero points. I’m glad Jones is in place because he’s good enough to get us back up if he’s given support and resources. I’ve been thinking that the club has bottomed out for seasons now but it’s obvious we’re not there yet. Perhaps rock bottom is now in sight. 
    This post attracted a lol. Probably the least funny thing I’ve ever posted and I’ve posted a loads of old shit. 
    Agree with you @ShootersHillGuru just the turnover of players doesn’t help and the loans are sub standard. 
    Never since 1967 I have been following Charlton have we come close to Division 2 the old Division 4.

It’s not a laughing matter we are in Big Trouble.
  • edited February 14
    Saying we’re down and a point wasn’t enough tonight when there’s still 14 games left is quite the position to take.

Based off the way the team dug deep and almost found a winner at the end, we’ll get enough points between now and May to be quite comfortable.

And I haven’t felt this confident about that in a little while.

It's not really 14 games though, it’s 17, as our closest rivals for relegation have 3 extra games over us now. We only have to look back to the Riga season in the championship when he took over for the first time to see how massive that can be, we stayed up thanks to smart game management of our games in hand.
    This isn’t a situation where there’s a couple of weeks left of the season and our fate is out of our hands.

If we win enough games through the crucial months of March and April we will be fine, regardless of how many games in hand Port Vale have on us. Because those wins will put us above other teams as well as them.

18 points from 14 required to get to 50. Should be more than doable for this group.
  • ross1 said:
    Not watched the game so always read comments and players marks. I am now confused, some said Dobbo was one of top players and would have lost without him, others mark him low.
    I know we all have our favourites but I do not think I have seen so many  extremes on our marks before. Be interested to see when LL does his stats.
    The truth is probably somewhere in-between those two extremes. On the positive side, he played the game in the same battling spirt we've come to expect. He worked tirelessly, tackled hard and led by example. On the downside he gave the ball away rather sillily on a couple of occasions and in his role as key dead-ball taker he wasn't particularly inspiring or accurate. Overall it was a decent performance from him, but by no means one of his best.