Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• I’ve supported Charlton since my first game aged five in 1961. Not once in all that time, not once have I ever considered it even a remote possibility of CAFC dropping into the fourth tier of English football. It’s never really crossed my mind. I think last nights result has now convinced me that it’s all over. We’re getting relegated. 15 games to go but I see nothing at all that gives me reason to be hopeful. Port Vale have three games over us and that I think will be enough for them to leapfrog us. We have Bolton, Derby and Portsmouth looming with the real prospect of zero points. I’m glad Jones is in place because he’s good enough to get us back up if he’s given support and resources. I’ve been thinking that the club has bottomed out for seasons now but it’s obvious we’re not there yet. Perhaps rock bottom is now in sight. 
  • Off_it said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Whole midfield was poor I thought. Anderson gets a pass as he's young and tried hard but his passong was sloppy.

Games like that really highlight how limited Dobson is imo. 

Less said about Bakinson the better. He's getting worse each game.
    I thought Dobson looked like a good player playing with shit 
    Matter of opinions but he played some fucking dreadful balls across the middle that nearly cost us, and it was his poor clearance that led to the goal.We laud him because he works his bollocks off but his passing ability is really poor. 
    With respect, that's not right.

I just find it amazing that we have had however many shocking and ineffectual midfielders over the past few years, but people persist in digging the one bloke who has been consistently good in that period.

Baffling. Utterly baffling.
    I'd say it's actually the opposite problem; we've been so bad recently and we've had Dobson as the only consistently hard-working and decent player so some posters refuse to allow criticism of him and try shut it down by asking how you can be 'digging out' our best player. Dobson had a weird game yesterday; did some really good things, did some really bad things. Set them up with a terrible header back towards his goal that they should have capitalised on and wasted a lot of crossing opportunities with poor delivery. He mistimed challenges for loose balls a few times as well which was unlike him. He also won tackles, worked hard and took responsibility for adding creativity because it wasn't coming from anyone else. Mixed day where he lacked quality on the ball when we needed it. It's ok to say that, people have criticised Bakinson, REG, May, Anderson, Thomas, I think I even saw a comment towards Isted despite him having little to do. Dobson isn't immune from analysis because other players are worse
  • I’ve supported Charlton since my first game aged five in 1961. Not once in all that time, not once have I ever considered it even a remote possibility of CAFC dropping into the fourth tier of English football. It’s never really crossed my mind. I think last nights result has now convinced me that it’s all over. We’re getting relegated. 15 games to go but I see nothing at all that gives me reason to be hopeful. Port Vale have three games over us and that I think will be enough for them to leapfrog us. We have Bolton, Derby and Portsmouth looming with the real prospect of zero points. I’m glad Jones is in place because he’s good enough to get us back up if he’s given support and resources. I’ve been thinking that the club has bottomed out for seasons now but it’s obvious we’re not there yet. Perhaps rock bottom is now in sight. 
    now now .. where did you put those cheerful tablets ? .. just jesting BUT we are not the first bigish club to suffer indignities and we won't be the last .. still a LONG way to go this season
    Will Jones stay if we go down? Our recruitment is so dreadful at present I do wonder when things will pick up.

So many of our signings sound good but never seem to perform for us. Playing a system we don't have the players for is just daft...
  • edited February 14
    Croydon said:
    Off_it said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Whole midfield was poor I thought. Anderson gets a pass as he's young and tried hard but his passong was sloppy.

Games like that really highlight how limited Dobson is imo. 

Less said about Bakinson the better. He's getting worse each game.
    I thought Dobson looked like a good player playing with shit 
    Matter of opinions but he played some fucking dreadful balls across the middle that nearly cost us, and it was his poor clearance that led to the goal.We laud him because he works his bollocks off but his passing ability is really poor. 
    With respect, that's not right.

I just find it amazing that we have had however many shocking and ineffectual midfielders over the past few years, but people persist in digging the one bloke who has been consistently good in that period.

Baffling. Utterly baffling.
    Without turning this into another Dobson thread, I'm not meaning to dig him out. I like him, I'm very happy he stayed and he's my first name on the team sheet. I just don't think his passing is very good. 

Fair enough. He's no Glenn Hoddle for sure, but I reckon your revised view of "I don't think his passing is very good" is better than your previous, "his passing ability is really poor", so will take that! 

I would add that at least he tries making some ambitious passes, as well as covering every blade of grass and tackling, etc. Hard to see what the other two midfielders contributed yesterday - although I saw one wag gave Anderson a 9 on the players marks thread. Must've been because he's got lovely hair or something!
  • I'm stuck in a vacuum of not knowing how to feel. I can relate to klopp, as I've got no energy for us anymore. 
  • For the first time in my 50 odd years supporting Charlton, I actually think what I thought of as the impossible is going to happen. I cannot see how we are going to get out of this downward spiral to division 4 oblivion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Look back at their goal, it wasn't that bad a header by Dobson, but look at Bakinson's reaction to it, it is disgraceful.
    Will Jones stay if we go down? Our recruitment is so dreadful at present I do wonder when things will pick up.

So many of our signings sound good but never seem to perform for us. Playing a system we don't have the players for is just daft...
    I think that Nathan Jones latest interview with Rich Crawley displays a clear contradiction to the policy that Andy Scott has pursued over George Dobson. How long that contradiction continues relies on Jones getting results, Scott's failings have already seen two managers depart, whether you thought they were good enough is probably a mute point, but it was easy to see why we have failed for so long and that is because there was under investment in the forward line. That under investment or lack of scouting is down to Scott, but he's sitting pretty whilst the managers take the blame. Last nights second 45 was the most passionate 45 minutes we have seen in weeks and that was due to the return of Chuks Aneke, a player that we have had no adequate cover for since last summer.  

I’d have thought the possibility of relegation had crossed his mind when Jones signed a four and half year contract. If he included a get out clause for such an eventuality I’d be surprised and frankly disappointed. 
  • It's a long time since I've seen the flow of a game so effectively changed by the substitutions. Before the subs it was pretty even, with them having an advantage due to our unerring ability to hand out comedy defensive give aways. After the subs, it was all one way. We equalised, could have scored more and didn't face any significant attacks from them. With all his fragilities and with no game time in months, Chuks was still such a handful that you could see the shat dribbling out of the Imp's arses. I think they must have been slipping in it too the amount of time they spent rolling around on the floor. With his ability to hold the ball up and bully defenders, Chuks at once became not just the best attacker on the pitch, but the best defender too because Lincoln dared not venture forward and risk leaving the big man unchaperoned. It wasn't all Chucks though, I thought Ladapo (or Lapeedo, as my son erroneously called him, before declaring that that sounds like a French nonce) had his liveliest game and scored a belter. I hope that gives him confidence for more of the same. It's good that Camará's Cameo tonight was almost twice as long as his weekend outing. Hopefully before too long he'll be playing full games. I reckon that with him and Dobbo and/or Coventry would could have a pretty reasonable midfield.          
  • Has anyone got the link to Ladapo's post match interview?
  • I have gone into self-preservation mode and accepted we are down so if we stay up it’s a bonus. 

I am convincing myself it’s a positive I can tick off some new grounds and we will come back up and re-build with Jones. 

It’s the only way I can survive otherwise I will be depressed because I don’t feel great about our chances today. I know there are more games to go and March & April have some games with teams around us but I feel bleak.

• Sponsored links:

• Rob said:
    For 65 minutes we were pretty dire and it was Chuks who won us that game. As soon as he came on everything changed. I don’t know how he does it or even if he realises that he does it. But, he’s done it so often. Amazing. 

I think Chuks and Ladapo could make a good partnership up front. Even if it’s just for 20 minutes a game. 
    Sorry to disappoint you but we didn’t win.
  • We were clearly set up to be ineffective for 60-70 minutes with the hope that we'd keep it level for when Chuks, Camara and Ladapo could come on. 

Sadly due to our customary defensive lapse that resulted in a goal they came on to chase the game rather than force a winner.

I expect we'll see similar performances from here till the end of the season, as it's all we've got.
  • edited February 14
    A few random thoughts. Admittedly watching on a stream  is not the same as being there so I can only judge what the camera shows rather than see the wider picture. I actually fell asleep during the first half. A combination of the effects of man flu and one of the dullest games I can recall. The second half was more compelling but it was blood, guts and effort in the almost complete absence of quality. This league is a really really hard watch. 

Lots of thoughts about Dobbo and others. We need to caveat our thoughts by remembering that these guys are plying their trade in the third division for a reason. Dobbo is not Declan Rice. I really like Dobbo as a character and for his contribution over the last few years where he’s been by far the least shite of our motley bunch of travelling minstrels. He was up and down last night. High on effort, low on quality for the most part. But that’s what we’re going to get at this level and his contribution, erratic though it was, reminded us of what we’ve been missing the last couple of games. 

May’s bum is in danger of being out of the window (that’s an old Scottish term). A frustrated figure and clearly not flavour of the month with our Duracell bunny. Rightly hooked immediately after a rollicking that I heard from the Isle of Wight for not getting on the end of a T Watson cross. I worry about Alfy. Something isn’t right. 

Cheat card Chuks as he must surely be know as henceforward is our trump card. 30 mins of mayhem per game if we are lucky. A twanged hamstring on Saturday if we’re not. I’ve got everything crossed (although I’m a bit short in the toe department). Not sure about Freddy. He clearly doesn’t like the welcome he’s had judging by his reaction to the goal last night. Fair enough to ram it back up us. But that’s one contribution in six appearances and we need more of the same before we’re convinced. 

The defence looked better albeit against a team who refused to attack for the vast majority of the game but we still can’t keep a clean sheet. Judgement reserved until after the next three games. If we don’t get any points we need at least to preserve some of our goal difference which is worth a point at the moment. We may be crap but we haven’t had a real pasting this season.  We need to keep that up. 

Onward’s and, well, onwards.  
  • We were clearly set up to be ineffective for 60-70 minutes with the hope that we'd keep it level for when Chuks, Camara and Ladapo could come on. 

Sadly due to our customary defensive lapse that resulted in a goal they came on to chase the game rather than force a winner.

I expect we'll see similar performances from here till the end of the season, as it's all we've got.

Said the same to my mate sitting next to me last night. We both agreed we wodul take being level at 70 mins and give it a go with Chucks and Pan. 
  • A few random thoughts. Admittedly watching on a stream  is not the same as being there so I can only judge what the camera shows rather than see the wider picture. I actually fell asleep during the first half. A combination of the effects of man flu and one of the dullest games I can recall. The second half was more compelling but it was blood, guts and effort in the almost complete absence of quality. This league is a really really hard watch. 

Lots of thoughts about Dobbo and others. We need to caveat our thoughts by remembering that these guys are plying their trade in the third division for a reason. Dobbo is not Declan Rice. I really like Dobbo as a character and for his contribution over the last few years where he’s been by far the least shite of our motley bunch of travelling minstrels. He was up and down last night. High on effort, low on quality for the most part. But that’s what we’re going to get at this level and his contribution, erratic though it was, reminded us of what we’ve been missing the last couple of games. 

May’s bum is in danger of being out of the window (that’s an old Scottish term). A frustrated figure and clearly not flavour of the month with our Duracell bunny. Rightly hooked immediately after a rollicking that I heard from the Isle of Wight for not getting on the end of a T Watson cross. I worry about Alfy. Something isn’t right. 

Cheat card Chuks as he must surely be know as henceforward is our trump card. 30 mins of mayhem per game if we are lucky. A twanged hamstring on Saturday if we’re not. I’ve got everything crossed (although I’m a bit short in the toe department). Not sure about Freddy. He clearly doesn’t like the welcome he’s had judging by his reaction to the goal last night. Fair enough to ram it back up us. But that’s one contribution in six appearances and we need more of the same before we’re convinced. 

The defence looked better albeit against a team who refused to attack for the vast majority of the game but we still can’t keep a clean sheet. Judgement reserved until after the next three games. If we don’t get any points we need at least to preserve some of our goal difference which is worth a point at the moment. We may be crap but we haven’t had a real pasting this season.  We need to keep that up. 

Onward’s and, well, onwards.  
    Agree with all of that, and yes I noticed Ladapo seemed to ‘stick it’ to us when he scored, although why he did it front of the Curbs stand is beyond me, surely Covered End should have incurred his wrath 🤷

Personally, I think he should drop May into ‘the hole’ behind a front 2, as he looked much more effective in that role earlier in the season IMO - but does Jones have the players to allow him to play May in that way - dunno ?
  • REG & Thomas were absolutely hopeless last night. Thought Jones was brilliant though

He won’t be sacked if we go down and he won’t walk out on a 3.5 year contract.