Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• edited February 14
    Just got back home after stepping off a curb funny and triggering my sciatica again (at 30 years of age) so slowed me down on my way home slightly.

With Chuks, we have a chance of staying up. More positive with NJ but I hope everyone can see that Chuks availability is vital. 
    We need to settle on our midfield 3. Time to drop Barkinson and hope we can get Camara starting soon. 
    Still think we are right up against it and in deep shit but even more oddly think we might get something out of these next 3 games but that might be the 3x Codine kicking in. 

Ps - We should be snapping up Fosu until the end of the season at least, could make a real difference. 

• Shamefully my first game at The Valley this season and it was a genuine shock to the system to see how far we have fallen.
    The team has literally zero creativity and the decision to let CBT go could rank as one of the worst in the history of football.
    There is absolutely nothing down the flanks to scare teams.
    Dobson is a wholehearted player, but if he is your 'out' ball in midfield then you know you are in trouble. 
    Our only hope is to keep Aneke fit. He is an absolute weapon at this level.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Off_it said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Whole midfield was poor I thought. Anderson gets a pass as he's young and tried hard but his passong was sloppy.

Games like that really highlight how limited Dobson is imo. 

Less said about Bakinson the better. He's getting worse each game.
    I thought Dobson looked like a good player playing with shit 
    Matter of opinions but he played some fucking dreadful balls across the middle that nearly cost us, and it was his poor clearance that led to the goal.We laud him because he works his bollocks off but his passing ability is really poor. 
    With respect, that's not right.

I just find it amazing that we have had however many shocking and ineffectual midfielders over the past few years, but people persist in digging the one bloke who has been consistently good in that period.

Baffling. Utterly baffling.
    Genuinely think our fanbase is so damaged from the crap we have dealt with over the past decade that we can no longer see good things when it’s infront of us.
    Tbf to @croydon the man puts the miles in every week so I totally respect his opinion. He would be the first to agree that Dobson is best of the bunch, but it’s wearing thin.
  • NJ is very lively compared with Appleton. He was going bonkers when Bakinson screwed a good chance wide!
    In this game, both teams just banged the ball forward, so lots of head tennis, but no-one won. I like the look of Ramsey but he was tightly marked so kept having to pass the ball back. Bakinson strolled around, not really involved. Camara should make a difference when he is fit. Not Dobbo's best game but I was pleased to see him back...despite his shit header that led to their goal. Slightly prefer Harry to AMB in goal.
    A useful point after a peach of a Ladapo goal but you have to acknowledge Lincoln are just a bog standard tier 3 team. So a worry really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bakinson did inject some energy and legs into our midfield when he arrived, but the lack of quality is starting to become more obvious now.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Have to say, for all the positive comments during the season so far, but thought Camera was quite poor when he came on. 

Looked a yard off the pace. Still better than Bakinson though. 
    He (Camara) was great at Reading, but was just ok today. But his is a quality player from what I've seen.

Ladapo seems to be better coming on after Kanu's tired their defenders out. Trouble is, if both he and Aneke can only manage half an hour we're going to have to take advantage of any opportunities we get in that short time.

It seems Bakinson has joined that long list of players who have joined us with decent reputations who start well enough, but after one poor game are written off. I think he was always going to be more of a Pratley than a Cullen, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Reeko (7) was excellent, and we should re-sign him.
    just out of interest, who held bakinson in high regard? Cause almost certainly no Sheffield Wednesday fans did and Ipswich fans didn’t rate him either. Also, one poor game? Not sure if it’s me but he has been woefully short of what is required in almost every game he has played despite maybe the first half of that first game he played  
    Think it was the not the top20 pod guys. 
    I liked him in his first few games, but he’s been disappointing in the last couple. Can’t shoot, but that’s something they can work on maybe. 
  • Thought Bakinson was alright when he first came into the side. But seems to have regressed, could be a confidence issue. 

On the whole thought Jones and E-Green were decent today. Thomas is the issue and I imagine that's a Hector sized hole on the left side of the defense. 

Watson was much better on the left and hope he stays there, way better than Edun. Would rather us try and find a different RB than stick Edun back on. 

Not sure why Anderson was playing today and didn't show me anything (other than effort) to stamp his place in the side. Coventry I imagine comes straight back in or we get Camera starting instead of him. 

Would've liked to have seen 10 minutes of May + Aneke rather than Kanu + Aneke but that's just me. 
  • msomerton said:
    What a player and what a goal from their number 7.

Anyone catch his name?

Sort of talent we should be signing before he goes to the premier league.

Not a win and we still shot ourselves in the foot but we didn't lose, we kept it simple and cleared it long most of the time and we finished stronger and on the front foot.

Great to see Chuks back, he means the opposition have something to worry about.

But as important was Ladapo scoring. He also looked a handful and scored a good goal.

Glad to see a bit of fight in the team when it kicked off 2nd half. Ref was terrible 

May didn't look happy but he'd been rowing with NJ so that might have been the reason.

We still lack creativity but how to fit Coventry or Fiorini into that side and not lose the fighting side of the game?

It is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end but it might be the end of the beginning.
    Never judge how good an opposistion player just because he played well against, and even less so for strikersj ust because they scored.
    Think you've been wooshed here @msomerton :) Hackett's one of our youth products who ended up going elsewhere, so I assume this is what Henry was getting at.
  • I still don’t think people realise how catastrophic relegation would likely be for Charlton Athletic.

All of this ‘Nathan can rebuild in league 2’.

Evaluate the commercials. Look at the maths.

We spent a decent sum of money over the last 13 months and have players and management on big wages for L1.

We have the running costs for a large stadium and other facilities and staff to fund. 

We would incur a huge loss of revenue. Smaller crowds, much lower commercial revenue.

It’s sometime I am fully qualified to evaluate based on my professional background. My biggest worry isn’t down to disappointment or embarrassment of playing in league 2. It’s the impact on the health of our club.

It will not end well getting relegated, and it’s massively wishful  thinking to presume we would bounce back with ease. The whole club would need to be recalibrated from playing staff, to management to support staff.
    I don't think for one moment we'd bounce straight back up. We could be in League 2 for years.but I dont think it would be the end if us. Far from it. We would have a few more "local derbies" such as Wimbledon, Crawley & Colchester (Sutton will prob drop into the National league). And some other clubs are decently supported and will bring more to The Valley than Burton, Fleetwood & Carlisle. We'll probably have to offload a few players but we arent paying crazy wages like Sunderland were when they dropped into League 1 via The Championship. 

And Luton didnt do too badly dropping down into League 2.
  • Off_it said:
    I know there's a very low bar here, but I thought that was shit.

Difficult to know what we were even trying to do first half. Second half we were just lumping it.
    I think Nathan Jones has now sussed out we cant use 352 as the wingbacks create zilch so in the last 30 mins brought on the big guns & told them to just lump it forward. 
  • It's really interesting to read the post match thread, the match thread and twitter comments when I have seen nothing of the game other than Ladapos goal. 

The only overall consistent view seems to be that Aneke played well which doesn't surprise me. 

Really happy to see Jones has backed Dobson, as if I couldn't love the Welsh Wizard anymore. 
  • Not convincing at all. Just know that Aneke will pick up an injury before the end of the season. Doubt we will get anything Saturday so could possible be in the relegation zone by end of weekend. Happy Days.
  • Sponsored links:

• RobRob
    edited February 14
    For 65 minutes we were pretty dire and it was Chuks who won us that game. As soon as he came on everything changed. I don’t know how he does it or even if he realises that he does it. But, he’s done it so often. Amazing. 

I think Chuks and Ladapo could make a good partnership up front. Even if it’s just for 20 minutes a game. 
  • Not enough.  Jones will be rebuilding from division 4 next season.
    He won't manage us in the 4th division.
  • I still don’t think people realise how catastrophic relegation would likely be for Charlton Athletic.

All of this ‘Nathan can rebuild in league 2’.

Evaluate the commercials. Look at the maths.

We spent a decent sum of money over the last 13 months and have players and management on big wages for L1.

We have the running costs for a large stadium and other facilities and staff to fund. 

We would incur a huge loss of revenue. Smaller crowds, much lower commercial revenue.

It’s sometime I am fully qualified to evaluate based on my professional background. My biggest worry isn’t down to disappointment or embarrassment of playing in league 2. It’s the impact on the health of our club.

It will not end well getting relegated, and it’s massively wishful  thinking to presume we would bounce back with ease. The whole club would need to be recalibrated from playing staff, to management to support staff.
    I don't think for one moment we'd bounce straight back up. We could be in League 2 for years.but I dont think it would be the end if us. Far from it. We would have a few more "local derbies" such as Wimbledon, Crawley & Colchester (Sutton will prob drop into the National league). And some other clubs are decently supported and will bring more to The Valley than Burton, Fleetwood & Carlisle. We'll probably have to offload a few players but we arent paying crazy wages like Sunderland were when they dropped into League 1 via The Championship. 

And Luton didnt do too badly dropping down into League 2.
    They spent 1 season dropping down in league 2 where they finished rock bottom because of the points deduction and then it took them 5 years to get out of the National league.
  • edited February 14
    Whilst the performance 2nd half was an improvement on what we have seen recently, it was still another game without a win

14 league games to be exact

Our worst run in the league in 15 years. 

Back since that awful season in 2008/2009 when we were relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time since 1980.

Now in our 10th season in League One we face the top 3 sides in the Division by the end of the month. 

Who knows where we will be then but we have should be looking at 6 points from the last 2 games and we have picked up one. Not enough.

March and April’s fixtures look good on paper but we said that about December as well. Are these players good enough? The manager will motivate them, of course, but you can only get so much from them

We are going to need that fight from the second half last night and a hell of a lot more to stay in league one for next season 

• edited February 14
    Saying we’re down and a point wasn’t enough tonight when there’s still 14 games left is quite the position to take.

Based off the way the team dug deep and almost found a winner at the end, we’ll get enough points between now and May to be quite comfortable.

And I haven’t felt this confident about that in a little while.

It's not really 14 games though, its 17, as our closest rivals for relegation have 3 extra games over us now. We only have to look back to the Riga season in the championship when he took over for the first time to see how massive that can be, we stayed up thanks to smart game management of our games in hand.
  • Spirited 2nd half, we put them under pressure, but wouldn't say we was knocking on the door, but to be fair to them, they did defend very well, and can see why they up as high as they are, got a lot of players fighting for the shirt.

May for me doesn't work well up top, he needs to play deeper, we are so much better when he is, he wasn't very good again, maybe a week out of the firing line might do him good.
  • Think we were too direct but that might have just been what Jones thought was the best strategy. REG, Jones and Thomas are no Hector with the ball at their feet and a midfield 3 of Dobson, Bakinson and Anderson similarly lacking on the ball quality. 

Even with Aneke on I was hoping we’d try and put a few passes together as when he gets it to his feet he can be even more dangerous but we just lumped it forward instead. Could have really done with Coventry or Louie Watson off the bench, Camara came on but most of the time watched the ball sail over his head so didn’t have much impact 
  • So little football guile or craft , sooo many limited footballers who are a bit athletic
    i look at players and think how’s that ball at their feet are they in tune with it ,  can they ping it 
    well Bakinson is pony and I could see that from day one 
    Kanu is too raw but can run a lot 
    I’m a Ladapo fan and he will play as big a part as Chuks who are the two who will hopefully help us survive 
    May is out of sorts and needs a break to find his mojo back from the bench.

FairPlay to T Watson massive improvement to reasonable which got him MOTM from the lounges .

i want Hector back (for Leuth) he’s a leader and I feel more comfortable with him there much better from Jones as well

we need guile and creativity give L Watson more of a chance because there was zilch creativity before the charge from Chucks and Ladapo 

that was still pony Lincoln were going through the motions with a gritty northern attitude and had a fella up front who probably plays for Hull KR or Widnes every other week , size of that Cnut .

im sitting on the fence with relegation it’s a genuine 50% job for me which is the worst in our League One history .

blackwall tunnel usual wank with fuckwit my time is more important than yours cnuts trying to push in at the end as you turn off the A13 towards it 
    petrol head rabbits too much and was pushed in to the back of the car for the journey home , boffin just pretends to be asleep to ignore my ranting .
    fell asleep on sofa with our new smelly Cnut rescue dog(Maltese terrier allegedly) called “Alan’ after the great man himself , mrs chose the name , I was in and out of a coma and I had Nathan jones in my ear with his interview for 2 hours on a loop ffs don’t know what he said but that accent doesn’t work for me .
    couldnt even get in my own bed cos Peter Kay had been throwing up and shitting himself(he didn’t go to game) a bit like me but mine was metaphorically at the game so I’m in his bed and now getting rid of the 3 penguins and half a dozen choccie digestives I needed to calm down after the game 

petrol head tried to push for Bolton away , fuck that you Cnut go and study or some shit   We’ll watch on the feed 

100% on Hector.. Those that don't rate him we have missed him, we have hardly got a point since he got injured.