Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Nug said:
    Leuth said:
    Seen some low ratings/slaggings of Anderson. I thought he was good. He gave us presence and fight. We'll need that
    I posted on the match thread that he looked frightened in the first half meaning he didn’t look to do anything with the ball when he got it just knocked it back to Jones but he grew into the game and had a decent 2nd half.

Camara could be a key player for us he brings the energy we have really lacked lately. We’ve a long way to go but there was a bit of fight about us 2nd half.

Noticeable how NJ absolutely rips in to the players. He went off on one with Alfie after Watson put in a rare decent cross and he didn’t get on the end of it.

Too much of the ball went through Thomas and he lacked composure today.

Exactly how I saw it.
  • First half was awful. Thought we are starting to improve defensively during open play. Bringing those three on made a huge difference and it’s a gulf of class teams at the bottom don’t have.

It isn’t going to be pretty, but felt in that last thirty mins we showed enough that we are going to battle to stay up
  • Have to say, for all the positive comments during the season so far, but thought Camera was quite poor when he came on. 

Looked a yard off the pace. Still better than Bakinson though. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Best I’ve seen of Anderson. Really battled and put his head and foot in.

Also really like REG. Two men at the back in him and Jones. We really need more of that. 
    Like REG too. Also thought Ramsey put in a shift tonight
  • Surprised more hasn't been said on Camara. Looked a class above when he came on.
  • Ramsay plays all season for Harrogate and then comes here and gets injured. Did not look good either.

• Thomas did not look comfortable on the ball at all. Jones much better and REG looks fairly comfortable, albeit Lincoln didn’t really test too much. First half I thought Dobson didn’t quite seem himself, a few mistakes. Second half much better. I liked Ramsay, more time with the squad and he will be a good attacking right back hopefully. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think we can save ourselves with guile, creativity and style cos we just haven't got enough.

We need to fight like we did in the second half tonight.  Give it everything, leave nothing on the pitch - over to you Nathan Jones. 
  • Dizzle said:
    Thomas did not look comfortable on the ball at all. Jones much better and REG looks fairly comfortable, albeit Lincoln didn’t really test too much. First half I thought Dobson didn’t quite seem himself, a few mistakes. Second half much better. I liked Ramsay, more time with the squad and he will be a good attacking right back hopefully. 
    I think our centre halves were told to get it forwards much quicker for obvious reasons. Thomas still put in a great ball for Bakisnson to head to Kanu in the first half.
  • Keep Chuks and Camara fit, we will win games and climb the table. Indeed we really could have done with the Port Vale lump we tried to sign, as having a battering ram up front can turn aimless punts forward into defensive chaos.

Dobbo had an iffy first half, at fault for the goal and also badly giving the ball away earlier,but in the second was back to his fully committed best. Hope Ramsay is ok, as he showed promise. 
    Can you imagine him and Chuks running at you!
  • Awful first half, much better second half once Aneke came on. Ladapo took his goal very well. Bakinson doesn't deserve his place in the team, very poor. Jones and REG were solid and had good games, less so Thomas. Thought Ramsay did well on his debut and perversely Watson better at left back than right back. Dobson and Anderson were ok, Kanu put in a shift with no service. May is cutting a very frustrated figure at the moment.

If we can get Camara fully fit in the next couple of weeks and Aneke fit enough to do 30 minutes every game then we have a chance of staying up. However, the next three games are very tough and the table might get worse before it gets better. I think away to Cheltenham will be a crunch game. Lose that and it could become too high a mountain to climb. In my opinion the bottom three are down and we are battling with four or five others to avoid that last place. What a time to be alive, fighting relegation to League Two.
  • Think Jones started with players who had energy and would press and then not drop their levels because they are knackerred. 

Thought Anderson was good tonight, I just wish Bakinson would put his boots on the right feet ! 
  • REG was rubbish. Ramsay a huge positive, hope he is OK. Jones MOM so dominant in the air. Dobson great apart from the appalling header for the goal. Still hope. COYR.
  • Surprised more hasn't been said on Camara. Looked a class above when he came on.
    Arguably should have been sent off and gave the ball away plenty of times 
  • I'm pretty sure Nathan is prepared to face relegation but as he said in the interview he's only had 6 training days which is not much considering the car crash he's inherited so let's see what he can do but he's honest and certainly under no illusion how tough it will be. 

I was also pleased that he was on the side lines going nuts, that's what we've been missing plus he's not afraid to rip players a new one and sub them... Good.

I can see why he got rid of 11 players at Luton close season following a relegation scare. 

Yes, we may go down... but as Brownie said March is the key month and if we can't get results playing 5 of the bottom teams then so be it... Its still in our hands. 

This could have been avoided and we know why but the inquest can wait for now. 

• Dizzle said:
    Thomas did not look comfortable on the ball at all. Jones much better and REG looks fairly comfortable, albeit Lincoln didn’t really test too much. First half I thought Dobson didn’t quite seem himself, a few mistakes. Second half much better. I liked Ramsay, more time with the squad and he will be a good attacking right back hopefully. 
    I think our centre halves were told to get it forwards much quicker for obvious reasons. Thomas still put in a great ball for Bakisnson to head to Kanu in the first half.
    I’m not suggesting Thomas was useless. Just that at times he didn’t seem comfortable on the ball or to bring it under control. There were some occasions where he had time to bring it under control but instead just hoofed it back up into the air aimlessly. All of the CB’s seemed to pump it long and that may have been the instruction, it just felt like Thomas was the least comfortable with that. Just my observation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great interview from Jones. He seems up for it at least and hopefully can get into them more in the next few weeks because we are gonna need it.
  • edited February 13
    1 point taken from a possible 6, I’d of expected at least 4 to be in with a chance of staying up!! 
    Unless we muster a minor miracle in the next three games, I can’t see us turning it around. With all the bluster and marginal improvement tonight, this team is so unbalanced and nowhere near good enough, that falls at the feet of Mr Scott, who has been a shambles for this club.  I’d love to be proven wrong but I’m finding it hard to be positive. Good luck Nathan. 
  • Smithy said:
    Surprised more hasn't been said on Camara. Looked a class above when he came on.
    Arguably should have been sent off and gave the ball away plenty of times 
    Agree with that assessmen. He did not look comfortable in possesionof the ballad lost it easily when challenged. 
  • What a player and what a goal from their number 7.

Anyone catch his name?

Sort of talent we should be signing before he goes to the premier league.

Not a win and we still shot ourselves in the foot but we didn't lose, we kept it simple and cleared it long most of the time and we finished stronger and on the front foot.

Great to see Chuks back, he means the opposition have something to worry about.

But as important was Ladapo scoring. He also looked a handful and scored a good goal.

Glad to see a bit of fight in the team when it kicked off 2nd half. Ref was terrible 

May didn't look happy but he'd been rowing with NJ so that might have been the reason.

We still lack creativity but how to fit Coventry or Fiorini into that side and not lose the fighting side of the game?

It is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end but it might be the end of the beginning.
    Never judge how good an opposistion player just because he played well against, and even less so for strikersj ust because they scored.
  • If chuks stays fit. We stay up, until he came on we had 0 threat going forward it was just to routine. Ramsey looked good but we need another full back. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    the last half hour gives me some hope we can survive this but blimey, scott has nearly destroyed us - shocking what he's done to the squad which weren't great to start with 
    If we can see the Scott effect then surely on balance of all the comings and goings playing Player bingo then surely the money men can see it too..
  • Large Addick:

However, the next three games are very tough and the table might get worse before it gets better. I think away to Cheltenham will be a crunch game. Lose that and it could become too high a mountain to climb. In my opinion the bottom three are down and we are battling with four or five others to avoid that last place. What a time to be alive, fighting relegation to League Two.
    Are you sure? Cheltenham have just won their last two matches and they’re three points behind us with two games in hand.
  • I'm pretty sure Nathan is prepared to face relegation but as he said in the interview he's only had 6 training days which is not much considering the car crash he's inherited so let's see what he can do but he's honest and certainly under no illusion how tough it will be. 

I was also pleased that he was on the side lines going nuts, that's what we've been missing plus he's not afraid to rip players a new one and sub them... Good.

I can see why he got rid of 11 players at Luton close season following a relegation scare. 

Yes, we may go down... but as Brownie said March is the key month and if we can't get results playing 5 of the bottom teams then so be it... Its still in our hands. 

This could have been avoided and we know why but the inquest can wait for now. 

Whilst Brownie is right if we go into March in the bottom four and two or three points adrift it becomes phycological and then games against fellow strugglers become like a war and I'm not sure we have enough warriors to get out of it. Plus some of these other teams are perennial strugglers and know what is needed.
  • Apologies if this has been mentioned, but was Coventry dropped or is he injured.