Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City: Tuesday 13th February 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• edited February 14
    aliwibble said:
    msomerton said:
    What a player and what a goal from their number 7.

Anyone catch his name?

Sort of talent we should be signing before he goes to the premier league.

Not a win and we still shot ourselves in the foot but we didn't lose, we kept it simple and cleared it long most of the time and we finished stronger and on the front foot.

Great to see Chuks back, he means the opposition have something to worry about.

But as important was Ladapo scoring. He also looked a handful and scored a good goal.

Glad to see a bit of fight in the team when it kicked off 2nd half. Ref was terrible 

May didn't look happy but he'd been rowing with NJ so that might have been the reason.

We still lack creativity but how to fit Coventry or Fiorini into that side and not lose the fighting side of the game?

It is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end but it might be the end of the beginning.
    Never judge how good an opposistion player just because he played well against, and even less so for strikersj ust because they scored.
    Think you've been wooshed here @msomerton :) Hackett's one of our youth products who ended up going elsewhere, so I assume this is what Henry was getting at.

Did anyone spot Henry celebrating when his prodigal son returned to the valley ? It was a clinical finish by Hackett-Fairchild but over the 112 minutes our defence coped well the longer the game went on. Jones had his best game and Reg will continue to improve. We nearly had 3 CB's all play well at the same time but it was Thomas's turn to be under par.

Those of us who like our strikers to hunt in pairs were finally rewarded when Ladapo hit a crisp shot within touching distance from Chuks and thankfully ignored Aneke's shout of leave it.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    So little football guile or craft , sooo many limited footballers who are a bit athletic
    i look at players and think how’s that ball at their feet are they in tune with it ,  can they ping it 
    well Bakinson is pony and I could see that from day one 
    Kanu is too raw but can run a lot 
    I’m a Ladapo fan and he will play as big a part as Chuks who are the two who will hopefully help us survive 
    May is out of sorts and needs a break to find his mojo back from the bench.

FairPlay to T Watson massive improvement to reasonable which got him MOTM from the lounges .

i want Hector back (for Leuth) he’s a leader and I feel more comfortable with him there much better from Jones as well

we need guile and creativity give L Watson more of a chance because there was zilch creativity before the charge from Chucks and Ladapo 

that was still pony Lincoln were going through the motions with a gritty northern attitude and had a fella up front who probably plays for Hull KR or Widnes every other week , size of that Cnut .

im sitting on the fence with relegation it’s a genuine 50% job for me which is the worst in our League One history .

blackwall tunnel usual wank with fuckwit my time is more important than yours cnuts trying to push in at the end as you turn off the A13 towards it 
    petrol head rabbits too much and was pushed in to the back of the car for the journey home , boffin just pretends to be asleep to ignore my ranting .
    fell asleep on sofa with our new smelly Cnut rescue dog(Maltese terrier allegedly) called “Alan’ after the great man himself , mrs chose the name , I was in and out of a coma and I had Nathan jones in my ear with his interview for 2 hours on a loop ffs don’t know what he said but that accent doesn’t work for me .
    couldnt even get in my own bed cos Peter Kay had been throwing up and shitting himself(he didn’t go to game) a bit like me but mine was metaphorically at the game so I’m in his bed and now getting rid of the 3 penguins and half a dozen choccie digestives I needed to calm down after the game 

petrol head tried to push for Bolton away , fuck that you Cnut go and study or some shit   We’ll watch on the feed 

100% on Hector.. Those that don't rate him we have missed him, we have hardly got a point since he got injured. 
    We didn't get a lot of points before he was injured!

But I totally agree, he has been missed. And Ness seems to have disappeared.
  • edited February 14
    Another game of two half's 
    Wasn't the best of performances but at least we showed some fight in the second half hopefully we can take this into our next game from the off
    Would have loved a win but happy enough with the draw & to be honest it's more then I thought we would get 
  • we needed 3 points, but at least 1 point is a start
  • edited February 14
    It's hard to judge a players abilities when their confidence is shot. Loan players who arrive having been fringe players for their parent clubs are unlikely to be brimming with it. The weaknesses seen by their parent clubs get more cruelly exposed when thrust into a struggling unstable team to play regularly and produce consistent performances. Poor recruitment of our core players has led to greater dependency on the loans brought in and too many get found wanting.
  • If there is an out of contract centre forward who is a physical bugger, doesn't have to be a prolific goalscorer, go and get him. Without Chuks this side won't make it and we need someone to rough up the defenders in this league. Once again poor recruitment by Scott, here we are thinking that Lapado can be that hold up centre forward and in his interview last night he clearly states that's not what he does. 
  • Based on the highlights alone you can see Bakinson isn’t up to it. Let’s his man turn inside and get a cross away for the first goal. Should have played Kanu in early on instead of speculatively shooting. I expect he’s just holding a place for Camara until he’s fully fit. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    So little football guile or craft , sooo many limited footballers who are a bit athletic
    i look at players and think how’s that ball at their feet are they in tune with it ,  can they ping it 
    well Bakinson is pony and I could see that from day one 
    Kanu is too raw but can run a lot 
    I’m a Ladapo fan and he will play as big a part as Chuks who are the two who will hopefully help us survive 
    May is out of sorts and needs a break to find his mojo back from the bench.

FairPlay to T Watson massive improvement to reasonable which got him MOTM from the lounges .

i want Hector back (for Leuth) he’s a leader and I feel more comfortable with him there much better from Jones as well

we need guile and creativity give L Watson more of a chance because there was zilch creativity before the charge from Chucks and Ladapo 

that was still pony Lincoln were going through the motions with a gritty northern attitude and had a fella up front who probably plays for Hull KR or Widnes every other week , size of that Cnut .

im sitting on the fence with relegation it’s a genuine 50% job for me which is the worst in our League One history .

blackwall tunnel usual wank with fuckwit my time is more important than yours cnuts trying to push in at the end as you turn off the A13 towards it 
    petrol head rabbits too much and was pushed in to the back of the car for the journey home , boffin just pretends to be asleep to ignore my ranting .
    fell asleep on sofa with our new smelly Cnut rescue dog(Maltese terrier allegedly) called “Alan’ after the great man himself , mrs chose the name , I was in and out of a coma and I had Nathan jones in my ear with his interview for 2 hours on a loop ffs don’t know what he said but that accent doesn’t work for me .
    couldnt even get in my own bed cos Peter Kay had been throwing up and shitting himself(he didn’t go to game) a bit like me but mine was metaphorically at the game so I’m in his bed and now getting rid of the 3 penguins and half a dozen choccie digestives I needed to calm down after the game 

petrol head tried to push for Bolton away , fuck that you Cnut go and study or some shit   We’ll watch on the feed 

100% on Hector.. Those that don't rate him we have missed him, we have hardly got a point since he got injured. 
    We didn't get a lot of points before he was injured!

But I totally agree, he has been missed. And Ness seems to have disappeared.
    More than we are getting now.
  • Awful first half, hate the shape every manager seems to continue with.

100% better once chucks and co came on.

Dont think we will avoid relegation unless we get Chucks and co playing at least 60 minutes a game. Would also like to see the 532 system abandoned now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good 2nd half and unlucky not to win

system is killing us, nothing out wide - wing backs are the most important players in this system and we had a RB at LWB - at least play the left footed player (Edun) there, both are crap so it wouldn’t have made a difference

Anderson is not ready, should be nowhere near that midfield

they were terrified of Chuks when he came on

pleased for Ladapo, great strike. 

Thought May and Kanu absolutely ran their nuts off

Gonna Need more and imperative we finally keep these players fit for a run of games

very impressed with NJ’s post match interview 
  • Read a few ramdom posts, but mostly PWR, and I am sure somewhere someone else has pointed this out to the "oh we created no chances" brigade. We had five shots on target to their one. Their one coming from our error (as always).    

Still looking more likely to go down than stay up, but try and be honest rather than pretend things have not happened if they don't suit the narrative you wish to persue.   
  • se9addick said:
    I mean it was better than losing again…just.

That league table is looking pretty frightening though and I’m not sure what we put in tonight will be enough for even a point in our next three matches. 
    One point would be a bonus from our next three matches and the league table after those matches I don’t want to think about.
  • Read a few ramdom posts, but mostly PWR, and I am sure somewhere someone else has pointed this out to the "oh we created no chances" brigade. We had five shots on target to their one. Their one coming from our error (as always).    

Still looking more likely to go down than stay up, but try and be honest rather than pretend things have not happened if they don't suit the narrative you wish to persue.   
    Did they not hit the post as well?
  • We're guaranteed 3 points against Portsmouth so won't be too bad.
  • Smithy said:
    Surprised more hasn't been said on Camara. Looked a class above when he came on.
    Arguably should have been sent off and gave the ball away plenty of times 
    Very lucky not to get a second yellow. Thomas told him to calm it down but he just laughed. 

Overall, we have a lot of players who look ok coming on as sub but struggle when they start. 
  • Inevitable given the table and our next three fixtures that we will drop into the bottom four. My hope for those three fixtures is that we don't get a confidence-destroying battering, build on the second half performance last night and perhaps scrape a point.
    March and April, as has been said, will be a run of vital games. 50 points should see us safe, which means 18 from our last 11 games, assuming we get none from the next three. 5 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats. If we cant do that then going down is deserved. I remain optimistic, but it will get worse before it gets better.

• Better performance but still not good enough. If N Jones keeps us in this division it will be greatest achievement yet.sadly I don’t think that will be the case. Appleton was left in charge too long by those clowns upstairs when everyone could see it was never going to work. League 2 brings many many problems, players leaving, management leaving, lower crowds and less revenue into the club by fans and commercially a big loss. League 2 will be a disaster but it’s the owners to blame buying bang average players. There will be no club in League 2 and getting promotion out of league 2 if we did would not be something to celebrate. It’s our 10th year in league 1 and we have achieved nothing. 
    Thank you Charlton for the previous years when we were a top force in the premiership but sadly the demise of our club will probably be decided in the next month. If there relegated I will watch my local team at least they have guts and try for the club. 20 years a season ticket holder it pains me to say this. 
  • edited February 14
    At no point did Lincoln dominate us. 
    Little in it first half bar a mistake that gifted a goal. 
    Tempo and intensity increased second half. 
    Only one team was gonna win it!
    On to the next. 
  • edited February 14
    Dizzle said:
    Dizzle said:
    Thomas did not look comfortable on the ball at all. Jones much better and REG looks fairly comfortable, albeit Lincoln didn’t really test too much. First half I thought Dobson didn’t quite seem himself, a few mistakes. Second half much better. I liked Ramsay, more time with the squad and he will be a good attacking right back hopefully. 
    I think our centre halves were told to get it forwards much quicker for obvious reasons. Thomas still put in a great ball for Bakisnson to head to Kanu in the first half.
    I’m not suggesting Thomas was useless. Just that at times he didn’t seem comfortable on the ball or to bring it under control. There were some occasions where he had time to bring it under control but instead just hoofed it back up into the air aimlessly. All of the CB’s seemed to pump it long and that may have been the instruction, it just felt like Thomas was the least comfortable with that. Just my observation. 
    Id say definitely the instruction because of the lack of outlets out wide. The CBs did lots of the usual sideways stuff but largely ignored Watson because they knew he would just check back onto his right foot and give the ball straight back to them. Then they would bang it forward. It was the right thing to do when Chuks came on and it pushed Lincoln back.

• Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    Inevitable given the table and our next three fixtures that we will drop into the bottom four. My hope for those three fixtures is that we don't get a confidence-destroying battering, build on the second half performance last night and perhaps scrape a point.
    March and April, as has been said, will be a run of vital games. 50 points should see us safe, which means 18 from our last 11 games, assuming we get none from the next three. 5 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats. If we cant do that then going down is deserved. I remain optimistic, but it will get worse before it gets better.

Cheltenham play Port Vale on Saturday, then Vale have Reading away on Tuesday and Lincoln at home on the Saturday. 
  • Gonna get pelters for this but if I were Jones I'd get Conor Wickham on a short term deal, he's a free agent and would provide an insurance should we lose Chuks 
  • Off_it said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Whole midfield was poor I thought. Anderson gets a pass as he's young and tried hard but his passong was sloppy.

Games like that really highlight how limited Dobson is imo. 

Less said about Bakinson the better. He's getting worse each game.
    I thought Dobson looked like a good player playing with shit 
    Matter of opinions but he played some fucking dreadful balls across the middle that nearly cost us, and it was his poor clearance that led to the goal.We laud him because he works his bollocks off but his passing ability is really poor. 
    With respect, that's not right.

I just find it amazing that we have had however many shocking and ineffectual midfielders over the past few years, but people persist in digging the one bloke who has been consistently good in that period.

Baffling. Utterly baffling.
    Without turning this into another Dobson thread, I'm not meaning to dig him out. I like him, I'm very happy he stayed and he's my first name on the team sheet. I just don't think his passing is very good. 

• As much as I hate it, fair play to Lincoln for some game management mastery. 

We scored on 73, by the time they went down injured, argued, got a corner etc, we didn’t actually end up with any possession until 81 mins. They’d somehow managed to disrupt for 8 mins and absolutely killed any momentum we may have got after scoring. 
    There’s a reason why they are unbeaten since NYD. They should have probably got beaten yesterday, but they grounded out a point. Something we haven’t been doing throughout the whole season.
  • edited February 14
    Saying we’re down and a point wasn’t enough tonight when there’s still 14 games left is quite the position to take.

Based off the way the team dug deep and almost found a winner at the end, we’ll get enough points between now and May to be quite comfortable.

And I haven’t felt this confident about that in a little while.
    We'll win our first 4 in March
  • As much as I hate it, fair play to Lincoln for some game management mastery. 

We scored on 73, by the time they went down injured, argued, got a corner etc, we didn’t actually end up with any possession until 81 mins. They’d somehow managed to disrupt for 8 mins and absolutely killed any momentum we may have got after scoring. 
    as I said in the preview, they are a scrappy little(ish) club/team, very difficult to play against and give little away .. we need to take heed and if not copy, then learn (very quickly) how to survive at this mucky level