Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    se9addick said:
    Thought we needed to get these 3 games out the way and then hope to start picking up results.

5 points from the top 3 is great.
    The season starts here.

Five points from the past three games is a great return.

We now need to negotiate a very difficult March.
    Very difficult? We’re playing a mixture of mid table teams and teams who have somehow
    managed to find themselves below us despite this being our first win since 1962. The very difficult run is over, now we need to go and do the business against the strugglers. 
    Arguably that is what makes it more difficult. Jones has done a great job of changing the mentality but it's possible that raising your game against the best sides isn't the same as keeping that level against "bad" ones.

Plus there's the chance of them seeing us as targets as we are still within reach and putting in an extra level of effort against us.

I fully trust Jones to keep the good momentum going but thinking it will be easy or a given thing is highly premature - as he will no doubt be saying to the players.
    I really don’t think there’s much logic in saying it harder to beat bad teams than good (relatively speaking) ones. If that were the case the bad teams wouldn’t have lost as many games as they have. 

We’ve set the standard - undefeated in this little run against the three best sides in the division. Now we need to put these yokels to the sword.
  • se9addick said:
    thenewbie said:
    se9addick said:
    Thought we needed to get these 3 games out the way and then hope to start picking up results.

5 points from the top 3 is great.
    The season starts here.

Five points from the past three games is a great return.

We now need to negotiate a very difficult March.
    Very difficult? We’re playing a mixture of mid table teams and teams who have somehow
    managed to find themselves below us despite this being our first win since 1962. The very difficult run is over, now we need to go and do the business against the strugglers. 
    Arguably that is what makes it more difficult. Jones has done a great job of changing the mentality but it's possible that raising your game against the best sides isn't the same as keeping that level against "bad" ones.

Plus there's the chance of them seeing us as targets as we are still within reach and putting in an extra level of effort against us.

I fully trust Jones to keep the good momentum going but thinking it will be easy or a given thing is highly premature - as he will no doubt be saying to the players.
    I really don’t think there’s much logic in saying it harder to beat bad teams than good (relatively speaking) ones. If that were the case the bad teams wouldn’t have lost as many games as they have. 

We’ve set the standard - undefeated in this little run against the three best sides in the division. Now we need to put these yokels to the sword.
    It is definitely counter intuitive, but playingbteams in relegation fights offers a different proposition to teams going for promotion and the question is can we break down a packed defence, do we have a midfield creative enough to break through and create chances and also in our case, what happens if / when we lose Chucks. 

I still think we will survive but it will not be easy!
  • edited March 2
    Fortunately I have been proved very wrong so far about Moore at Port Vale :smile:

As a result I see it that we now have one team from six for the fourth relegation spot.

We're on an upward curve and things are looking promising that Methven, Rodwell and Scott will not be responsible for a relegation.

Get these idiots out of the club in the summer and crack on for a promotion next season.
  • I think it's possible that it could be one team from 7 that could be in smelly stuff. I would say though it's more in our hands now to pull away after the last 5 games compared to previously. If we go down we deserve to but... With Nathan we have a chance and I'll take that all day. 
  • only 2 top half  teams to play in the last 10 games. 
  • Think 50 is probably the magic number. 12 points in 10 matches needed for that total. Currently have 7 points in last 5 so on course to reach it.

Port vale have gained three points since NYD. 1 point came against Charlton. Not worried about them at all. 

Tuesday isn’t make or break, but will give us an idea for how season will finish. Win and it will probably be straight forward/ draw or lose and it will probably be a fight until the final matches.
  • Port Vale have to play 9 games in in 4 weeks. 
  • edited March 2
    Exeter City
    36117182750-2340
    Reading
    36129154953-439
    Burton Albion
    35109162944-1539
    Charlton Athletic
    36814145054-438
    Cambridge United
    35108173144-1338
    Shrewsbury Town
    36115202651-2538

Cheltenham Town

Port Vale
    3488183457-2332
    Fleetwood Town
    36710194060-2031
    Carlisle United
    3558222960-3123

1 win with other results going our way and we could end up in 15th. 

On the other hand, failing to win on Tuesday and the games in hand become a lot more worrisome. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not worried at all. 5 games unbeaten against top half sides and now we face 5 from the bottom half, including 3 in the relegation zone.

Win 3 of the next 5 and we'll almost be safe.
    Northampton had nothing to play for today. 

The next 3 will. 

No Aneke no party. 
  • I'm fairly calm about it, there's a few wins and a couple of draws in our remaining games.
  • I'm not worried at all. 5 games unbeaten against top half sides and now we face 5 from the bottom half, including 3 in the relegation zone.

The next 3 will. 

No Aneke no party. 
    If we can't get 12 points from 10 games against mainly bottom half sides then we'll deserve relegation. But i think we'll be absolutely fine.

You'd hope we will beat Carlisle at home next week so then it's 9 points needed from the other 9 games.
  • I don’t think that 50 points will
    be need to stay up this season. 45 will be enough. 

The next 3 will. 

No Aneke no party. 
    If we can't get 12 points from 10 games against mainly bottom half sides then we'll deserve relegation. But i think we'll be absolutely fine.

You'd hope we will beat Carlisle at home next week so then it's 9 points needed from the other 9 games.
    You heard it here first, they are the whipping boys, they'll go back 800 miles with three points.
  • Croydon said:
    We'll win Tuesday and Saturday and be joking about why anyone was worried.
    Tbh the three points to Cheltenham are majorly more important than Carlisle, but take your point.
  • Sponsored links:

The next 3 will. 

No Aneke no party. 

I remember losing to Swindon on route to winning the Championship in 2000. 

Nothing is as certain as death & taxes than CAFC gifting wins to teams at the bottom of the table. Anyone remember the 6-1 drubbing at home to relegation threatened Leeds in the Prem. 

You've got to ask yourself....was last Tuesday evening against Derby the upturn or the unusual ?  We've just managed to turn 3 points into 1. The next 2 games are going to be critical - a must not lose match and then a home game against the bottom club who are almost down already. Anything less than 4 points could mean we are back on the brown stuff. Then the following week we are away again to a side who look like the might just be turning it around. 

We are in for a bumpy ride. I pity poor @oohaahmortimer with Easter coming up.....all that chocolate  !

• The batteries are running low 
    Effort can get you so far but lack of ability beginning to cost us 
    we’ll stay up but not as comfortably as we should because we’re still guff no matter what happens 
    league one patheticness abounds 

R 20%
    oooooh look how great we are, stop moaning we’ve survived in the third tier (fuck off ) 80%

• Fortunately I have been proved very wrong so far about Moore at Port Vale :smile:

As a result I see it that we now have one team from six for the fourth relegation spot.

We're on an upward curve and things are looking promising that Methven, Rodwell and Scott will not be responsible for a relegation.

Get these idiots out of the club in the summer and crack on for a promotion next season.
    Those idiots have now brought in Nathan Jones and Paul Hart.
    I was more of the opinion it was the Americans.
  • Fortunately I have been proved very wrong so far about Moore at Port Vale :smile:

I reckon it was 6 of one and half dozen if the other.

Whatever we think of the UK management team they will no more about the nitty gritty of League one football than the Americans. However after Holden and Appleton I would imagine the decision to bring in NJ was under more scrutiny by them.

If the Americans had no confidence in Scott and co surely at least one of them would have been let go by now.
  • Kap10 said:
    Fortunately I have been proved very wrong so far about Moore at Port Vale :smile:

Whatever we think of the UK management team they will no more about the nitty gritty of League one football than the Americans. However after Holden and Appleton I would imagine the decision to bring in NJ was under more scrutiny by them.

If the Americans had no confidence in Scott and co surely at least one of them would have been let go by now.
    Fair comment, only time will tell regards Scott and how his position may change.
  • Kap10 said:

Or wait for their contracts to expire?
  • edited March 3
    I fear wins will still prove hard to come by, and I'm passed expecting consecutive wins which we haven't managed all season, especially after missing the open goal of a win yesterday, but provided we get a couple and don't lose more than two we should be able to reassess in the summer for another season in L1, when I expect us to be on it from the word go under Jones.
  • The key now is to survive in this dreadful league but there must be changes on the SMT front...

They can't be allowed to get a free pass just because Nathan might work his magic. This potential scenario worries me more and that no lessons will be learned whatever league we end up in. 

Our recruitment or lack of it has been our downfall and only at the 25th hour do the Owners I presume decide to spend some money on a decent Manager. We'll know soon enough if it was too late but Nathan has done well to get a tune out of some players who let's be honest have been passengers bar a few players.