Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• edited February 25
    Croydon said:
    RedChaser said:
    Cheltenham Carlisle and Fleetwood all coming up in a row. We could be safe by Easter! 
    If we win. 

All of them bar Carlisle have better form currently than we do. 

Cheltenham have won 3 out of the last 5 for instance. 
    To paint the full picture they’ve beaten Cambridge, Port Vale and Blackpool drawn with Wigan whoopee do. And prior to that lost three to some top sides although beat Pompey. C’mon mate don’t give half the facts to suit your agenda 😉.

This is a crazy viewpoint. Wins are wins and Cheltenham are in good form, regardless of the oppo. 

I don't even think we'll get relegated I just needed to call that out when I saw it 😂
    Welcome to the debate. Crazy? Of course a win is a win I never said it wasn’t. Let me clarify, the point I was trying to make was that if you are going to quote recent form, go back a little bit further for balance and additionally the sides they beat recently are nothing special* so we shouldn’t fear Cheltenham on Tuesday week. *We’ve drawn with Pompey twice and Blackpool last month.

Hopefully we can secure the wins that we need against these five teams we are due to play in the bottom seven; Carlisle, Fleetwood, Cambridge, Shrewsbury and of course Cheltenham. Three of those games are away from home but that might just suit the way we are being set up now. Win four of those key games plus a couple of draws elsewhere and we should be ok which is where I’m at.

• edited February 25
    RedChaser said:
    Croydon said:
    RedChaser said:
    Cheltenham Carlisle and Fleetwood all coming up in a row. We could be safe by Easter! 
    If we win. 

To paint the full picture they’ve beaten Cambridge, Port Vale and Blackpool drawn with Wigan whoopee do. And prior to that lost three to some top sides although beat Pompey. C’mon mate don’t give half the facts to suit your agenda 😉.

This is a crazy viewpoint. Wins are wins and Cheltenham are in good form, regardless of the oppo. 

I don't even think we'll get relegated I just needed to call that out when I saw it 😂
    Welcome to the debate. Crazy? Of course a win is a win I never said it wasn’t. Let me clarify, the point I was trying to make was that if you are going to quote recent form, go back a little bit further for balance and additionally the sides they beat recently are nothing special* so we shouldn’t fear Cheltenham on Tuesday week. *We’ve drawn with Pompey twice and Blackpool last month.

Hopefully we can secure the wins that we need against these five teams we are due to play in the bottom seven; Carlisle, Fleetwood, Cambridge, Shrewsbury and of course Cheltenham. Three of those games are away from home but that might just suit the way we are being set up now. Win four of those key games plus a couple of draws elsewhere and we should be ok which is where I’m at.

If we can avoid defeat to the teams around us that will be a good starting point in staying up.

Plus get a couple of away wins, I cannot see us staying up on only winning one away game all season.
  • I've not heard of one single fan that thinks it's going to be a doddle to win 4 or 5 games.
    I think it's fair to say at least half think we probably will, but certainly not a doddle.
    It's alright.
    The bookies know something we don't know.
    A couple have us just under 4/1 to beat Derby and a couple have us as low as 6/4 to beat Northampton.
  • RedChaser said:
    If we win. 

We are below all of those teams bar Port Vale. Whoopee do. 

Who have we beaten recently again? 
    Cheltenham! 
  • edited February 26
    Despite only 4 points from the six games post Appleton, a dark cloud has been lifted according to those forecasting jam tomorrow, who have us winning enough future games on paper. I hope they're right, but we can't afford many slip ups and there might be the odd couple when we least expect them.
  • I think Cheltenham will stay up. We need to get above one of the many teams on 38 points at the moment. Hopefully Cambridge have a meltdown now they’ve lost Harris 
  • Lincoln  vs Shrewsbury
    Wycombe. vs Cheltenham
     Port Vale  vs Fleetwood
    Derby vs CAFC

Hard to call some of these games, we may slip down the table tomorrow. Particularly interested /concerned by possible Cheltenham win. Lincoln very physical and built on defence so home win/draw most likely there.
  • edited February 26
    Our relegation odds now 5/2 with five other clubs shorter.

• Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    Despite only 4 points from the six games post Appleton, a dark cloud has been lifted according to those forecasting jam tomorrow, who have us winning enough future games on paper. I hope they're right, but we can't afford many slip ups and there might be the odd couple when we least expect them.
    Of course there will be. We will also
    pick up points from games where we aren't expected to get anything, the last two have shown that.

thats why I never get involved in predictions, nothing is set in stone
  • Lincoln  vs Shrewsbury
    Wycombe. vs Cheltenham
     Port Vale  vs Fleetwood
    Derby vs CAFC

Hard to call some of these games, we may slip down the table tomorrow. Particularly interested /concerned by possible Cheltenham win. Lincoln very physical and built on defence so home win/draw most likely there.
    However if Cheltenham were to win it brings some other teams nearer trouble, one of which would be Wycombe. They've just got to Wembley in the pizza/car trophy cup shit, so they need to keep focused on the league or they'll end up getting sucked in.

Huge game for Port Vale though, one they really have to win after 9 without a win, which has included being beaten by all three of the other sides in the relegation zone. 
  • Lincoln  vs Shrewsbury
    Wycombe. vs Cheltenham
     Port Vale  vs Fleetwood
    Derby vs CAFC

However if Cheltenham were to win it brings some other teams nearer trouble, one of which would be Wycombe. They've just got to Wembley in the pizza/car trophy cup shit, so they need to keep focused on the league or they'll end up getting sucked in.

Huge game for Port Vale though, one they really have to win after 9 without a win, which has included being beaten by all three of the other sides in the relegation zone. 
    Another concern is that there are teams with games in hand and IF they were to get points could open up the 4 point gap further.
    The plus side is that the teams around us are not taking advantage of our poor return of points.
  • Lincoln  vs Shrewsbury
    Wycombe. vs Cheltenham
     Port Vale  vs Fleetwood
    Derby vs CAFC

They didn’t lose to us during that run though! 
  • se9addick said:
    Lincoln  vs Shrewsbury
    Wycombe. vs Cheltenham
     Port Vale  vs Fleetwood
    Derby vs CAFC

They didn’t lose to us during that run though! 
    True, but our away draw was the first game of their nine without a win.
    So we started their winless run.  :)
  • Went to Cambridge away last season and it was a dead rubber game, this season could have a lot more importance to it, especially them having Taylor and Bonne up front, would be horrible to lose this game.
  • swordfish said:
    pick up points from games where we aren't expected to get anything, the last two have shown that.

Yet many are basing their optimism on predictions of a transformation in results.  I'm happy for those that no longer share my relegation concerns now that NJ is making his mark. However, I don't see how critism of others more fearful when looking at our results and table position can be justified when the argument relies on us achieving results in games yet to happen.
  • Went to Cambridge away last season and it was a dead rubber game, this season could have a lot more importance to it, especially them having Taylor and Bonne up front, would be horrible to lose this game.
    Quite seriously if we go to Cambridge with players like REG, Gillesphy, Hector and Jones and let either of these useless d*ckheads score we kind of deserve the risk we are facing. This is exactly the game I think NJ will have us properly set up to win and we will. 
  • Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

Until we prove we can win multiple games, never mind just one, it looks grim.
    The only table that matters is the one that has 46 games played.

We will win games playing the way we have the last two Saturdays.
    You need to have a day off, dear me.

16 games without a win.  Jones(although not without blame) 4 games without a win.  6 games without a win after Appleton.

The rose tinted brigade give my a*** a headache.

Things are desperate, another game today nearer relegation.
    I hate posts like this. Why be rude to someone for having a different view?

what has Callum said that's wrong? There will be more twists and turns over the next 13 games, so yes, the only table that matters is after 46 games. Our last relegation where we were only in the relegation for one game week up until the last game shows that.

people aren't being rose tinted, they are being positive. I'm guessing the manager and coaching staff are also being positive, to prevent players heads dropping like they clearly did under Appleton. 

I also agree with Callum that we will win games playing like we have done the last two Saturdays. Can we keep this up for 13 games, time will tell. It's not certain that we will stay up, or go down. We are in trouble but a couple of wins will change that and they will come under jones. 2 points from 2 games where we all expected 0 is a good return, plus a clean sheet for the first time in half a season. Today was another unexpected point and another point closer to the magic 50 mark. 

we were in free fall under Appleton and couldn't beat cray valley!!! Jones was never going to come on and automatically turn us into Brazil but we are improving. I hope it's not to late but we are not going rolled over week in week out at the moment.

fair play to Callum for keeping positive and I hope you right. Let's move onto Tuesday and hope we continue to fight and be hard to beat!
    I was not being rude, unlike the individual who said I was "chatting s***" :D.
    Anyway, we are running out of games and there is NOTHING giving me positive thoughts of staying up.
    "Chatting s***" :D:D
    Try watching the matches. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

Until we prove we can win multiple games, never mind just one, it looks grim.
    The only table that matters is the one that has 46 games played.

We will win games playing the way we have the last two Saturdays.
    You need to have a day off, dear me.

16 games without a win.  Jones(although not without blame) 4 games without a win.  6 games without a win after Appleton.

The rose tinted brigade give my a*** a headache.

Things are desperate, another game today nearer relegation.
    I hate posts like this. Why be rude to someone for having a different view?

what has Callum said that's wrong? There will be more twists and turns over the next 13 games, so yes, the only table that matters is after 46 games. Our last relegation where we were only in the relegation for one game week up until the last game shows that.

people aren't being rose tinted, they are being positive. I'm guessing the manager and coaching staff are also being positive, to prevent players heads dropping like they clearly did under Appleton. 

I also agree with Callum that we will win games playing like we have done the last two Saturdays. Can we keep this up for 13 games, time will tell. It's not certain that we will stay up, or go down. We are in trouble but a couple of wins will change that and they will come under jones. 2 points from 2 games where we all expected 0 is a good return, plus a clean sheet for the first time in half a season. Today was another unexpected point and another point closer to the magic 50 mark. 

we were in free fall under Appleton and couldn't beat cray valley!!! Jones was never going to come on and automatically turn us into Brazil but we are improving. I hope it's not to late but we are not going rolled over week in week out at the moment.

fair play to Callum for keeping positive and I hope you right. Let's move onto Tuesday and hope we continue to fight and be hard to beat!
    I was not being rude, unlike the individual who said I was "chatting s***" :D.
    Anyway, we are running out of games and there is NOTHING giving me positive thoughts of staying up.
    "Chatting s***" :D:D
    Try watching the matches. 
    Zzzzźzzz
  • Sponsored links:

• I've read on here two or  three times that we are running out of games. We have a 1/4 of the season left to play! Quiet a lot will happen in that time
  • edited February 27
    swordfish said:

Other than Ed Miliband's six pledges set in two-tonne limestone before the 2015 election. 😀

Whatever happened to the Edstone 🤔
  • We had 16 matches/steps to safety when Nathan Jones got the gig and we certainly could be in the bottom 4 by 10 pm tonight.

We have 50/50 chance now under Jones as we had lost it big time under Appleton.

Hard to imagine we won't lose any of the 3 games in a row against the top 3 in February. A draw against Derby will be fine but of course we want the 3 points.
  • Some interesting fixtures tonight. Port Vale v Fleetwood jumps out, personally hoping for a draw in that one. Burton v Carlisle could also make a difference, Carlisle are doomed but surely they can't lose every game. Lincoln v Shrewsbury could provide a hand Lincoln win for us and Wycombe v Cheltenham could be tight. Maybe Chem Campbell can do us a favour.

Thoroughly depressing to be writing that out but it feels like the potential to be an important night in the battle
  • Crispy said:
    Reading about to be docked another 2 points apparently - would put us 2 points behind them with a game in hand...
    With these points deductions, I'd like to know how it is determined how many points clubs lose.
  • fenaddick said:
    Some interesting fixtures tonight. Port Vale v Fleetwood jumps out, personally hoping for a draw in that one. Burton v Carlisle could also make a difference, Carlisle are doomed but surely they can't lose every game. Lincoln v Shrewsbury could provide a hand Lincoln win for us and Wycombe v Cheltenham could be tight. Maybe Chem Campbell can do us a favour.

Thoroughly depressing to be writing that out but it feels like the potential to be an important night in the battle
    I want Fleetwood to win.
    Fleetwood are 4 points behind Port Vale and have played 2 games more.
    If Fleeetwood win they are still 1 point behind Port Vale and played 2 games more. 
    I know what you mean but Fleetwood are in decent form and on the up, they've got more of a chance than people realise.I think