Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• edited February 24
    I'm not particularly panicking yet but if we don't win either/both of Northampton or Cheltenham then we really are in the brown stuff. 

If we win one or two of those games I'll feel comfortable that the easier run-in will see us safe. 

Again, if we only draw or end up losing 1, I struggle to see where the magical run comes from. 
  • Just seen one stat on Social Media

Shrewsbury have scored 30% of their away goals, and 26% of their total goals against Reading this season - They may be four points ahead of us now, but on that basis, no reason not to drag them back towards us
  • Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

Until we prove we can win multiple games, never mind just one, it looks grim.
    The only table that matters is the one that has 46 games played.

We will win games playing the way we have the last two Saturdays.
    You need to have a day off, dear me.

16 games without a win.  Jones(although not without blame) 4 games without a win.  6 games without a win after Appleton.

The rose tinted brigade give my a*** a headache.

Things are desperate, another game today nearer relegation.
    I don’t think my opinion is the minority one. If you think I’m being rose tinted I’ve got nothing to really say. 

If you try hard enough you might find something positive to say about the last two games of football we’ve played.

Simple question. Based on what we have seen over the last few games, when are we next going to win, and why?

No gut feel. Data and facts.
  • Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

16 games without a win.  Jones(although not without blame) 4 games without a win.  6 games without a win after Appleton.

I don’t think my opinion is the minority one. If you think I’m being rose tinted I’ve got nothing to really say. 

If you try hard enough you might find something positive to say about the last two games of football we’ve played.

Simple question. Based on what we have seen over the last few games, when are we next going to win, and why?

Carlisle 9th March. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

How can he give facts when the games haven’t been played yet?
    I tried my best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Your turn @DamoNorthStand , let’s hear how a club legend would’ve got a win in his first four games. No gut feel, data and facts.
  • For example - we scored 3 away at Bolton. But let 3 in…. But Northampton aren’t as good as Bolton.

Based on better performances over the last 2 games …. I think we win at Northampton.

For example.
  • Your turn @DamoNorthStand , let’s hear how a club legend would’ve got a win in his first four games. No gut feel, data and facts.
    Well if it had Powell, we would have won every game, I think that’s the level of logic 
  • Ironically Callum its those teams (Northampton - Cheltenham - Fleetwood - Exeter) that I actually worry about a little bit more... Its popular to use the League Table as evidence as to why we wont get results.

Hence why we got written off before Bolton / Portsmouth / Derby, with those same individuals now scrambling to adjust their narratives.

However those teams we've got coming up, are teams who wont attack us as willingly as the top three, they'll be just as scared of us (if not more so, given the individuals that we have) as we are of them... Their Players / Managers will no doubt come out in the media saying: "How are Charlton in this predicament with the talent they have available"

As a result of them being just as scared, is what'll make getting three points harder - Lincoln at the Valley for example - Teams will sit back, flood their box, and invite the pressure... Our record facing that type of setup since returning to League One hasn't been the best, and is something very few seem to be acknowledging.

Of course Jones has got us playing differently to the last few months, so it could be a completely different situation to what we've seen in the past... But those saying these'll be must win games, must also remember that those teams, equally deserve their own respect.

Hence why it’s another good reason we could be going into these games, four games undefeated (if we avoid a loss at Pride Park), as we'll want every ounce of confidence possible.
    I take your point and I’m not saying we’ll win every game of the six. We still have our own weaknesses that will undo us every so often.

Lincoln had a very specific game plan once Chuks arrived and they just about survived the onslaught. It happens sometimes. Not every game is going to pan out that way.
    The data and facts for the last 4 games is we didn’t hire a club legend and didn’t win a single one of four must win games.

That’s not gut feel or guesswork.

It happened. That’s it.

Now it so happens I can see more of a glimmer than 2 games ago. Definitely something about us. I’m happy to admit that. But nowhere near enough.

But to date, outside of looking a bit more solid than I expected, it’s gone exactly as I predicted. Disappointed with the energy and bounce around the stadium. And around the club. Hasn’t got the feel of precious great escape seasons. 

Now there are 12 games to go instead of 16.

25pc of our games under NJ have gone. And we haven’t won one of them. Thats not a great data point!
  • I’m still bemused by the idea that someone who hasn’t been a number 1 since pre Covid and failed in League 2 with Southend was going to be the answer 
  • Rothko said:
    I’m still bemused by the idea that someone who hasn’t been a number 1 since pre Covid and failed in League 2 with Southend was going to be the answer 
    We will never know.

But we do know 100pc that our new manager bounce has so far yielded 3 points from 12.

That’s the only thing we do know for sure.

Well let’s hope it’s against Cheltenham and Northampton. If not you and every Charlton fan loses and you know that is true.
  • The midfield is worrying....where is the creativity? someone who can play a killer pass or beat one or two players with a dribble....yes Dobbo and Anderson are workhorses but we need a bit of quality......
  • Sponsored links:

Personally I am with you on this.
    But nobody wants to live in the real world.

We need to win big time Carlisle we can win , 
    but I feel defeat at Cheltenham and Northampton. Then the season will be over before March is halfway through.

Soon. We have had a tough spell and are improving. One win will give the group more confidence and wins will be like buses (I hope)

• LordDofB said:
    We have a better goal difference than nine other teams which will prove to be very significant.
    Yes it could be the equivalent of an extra point if we finish level on points with the 4th bottom side 😉
  • Rothko said:
    I’m still bemused by the idea that someone who hasn’t been a number 1 since pre Covid and failed in League 2 with Southend was going to be the answer 
    Is that the Southend on the complete slide to hell 

show some respect to SCP 

the fella who produced a 100+ points and a ninth place with no budget championship finish for OUR club 

One point which admittedly is of no relevance to this thread is the Championship season is often overlooked - I actually think that was even more impressive than the title season. If we had half the backing we expected I have no doubt he would have got us back to the prem.
  • Relegation 45%
    Joyful success for the worst team in our history with survival in League One 55%
  • edited February 24
    Rothko said:
    Is that the Southend on the complete slide to hell 

show some respect to SCP 

the fella who produced a 100+ points and a ninth place with no budget championship finish for OUR club 

It was a great season, but it’s 11 years ago, and since then his career as a manager hasn’t been stella. 
  • ct_addick said:
    The midfield is worrying....where is the creativity? someone who can play a killer pass or beat one or two players with a dribble....yes Dobbo and Anderson are workhorses but we need a bit of quality......
    Camara is meant to be that player isn't he? Hopefully will be able to start soon and we'll see.