Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Interesting looking ahead at the remaining fixtures for all those in trouble. This is the average league position of every team's remaining opponents:

Exeter: 13.66
    Wycombe: 13.21
    Reading: 11.91
    Cambridge: 10.64
    Burton: 13.43
    Shrewsbury: 12.23
    Charlton: 13.15
    Cheltenham: 13.20
    Port Vale: 11.80
    Fleetwood: 12.76
    Carlisle: 12.07

Basically the higher the number, in theory the easier the remaining games. Cambridge have by far the toughest remaining schedule, whilst Exeter have the easiest. Our remaining games relative to some of those around us are actually quite favourable.
    So there is some hope if this table was replicated after the next two games our number would almost certainly be the highest as we are playing the 1st and 2nd place teams in our next 2 games, 
  • I watch both Charlton and Exeter - I feel slightly more confident in Charlton staying up then City. 
  • Cambridge looking a lot less safe now they'll have to scramble for a manager
  • With Readings gd being near ours let them escape in the hope they beat both Vale and Shrewsbury. In doing so it then brings Exeter into the mix with a game in hand over them and we play them plus our gd is better. 

It will be tight but every team at the bottom has tough games. Also Wigan to beat Cheltenham Friday.

Its in our hands, a win against Pompey would be great but we just need to get to March in not too bad a position because as Curbs always said you have to beat the teams around us. 
    See, I think the opposite. I would have preferred Port Vale to have won today & then beat Reading tuesday. They have 3 games in hand on us & very likely to go above us anyway, whilst Reading have played the same amount of games as us. 

Oh well, not a lot we can do but sit back and watch it all play out.

But we do need another couple of teams to be in the mix with us. Shrewsbury being one of them. Maybe Exeter as they have played a game more & have a vastly inferior GD to us. Others a few places above us have at least a game in hand & 5 points ahead.

We really do need to.start winning games !

In this situation it’s always best if the other teams draw when playing each other. It’s 2 points on the board rather than 3. To exaggerate the point, you can win the league with 48 points if everyone else draws.

Only in the last 2-3 games can you put forward your arguments.
  • fenaddick said:
    Cambridge looking a lot less safe now they'll have to scramble for a manager
    Bonner back in?
  • ButtleJR said:
    follett said:
    Despite losing, Port Vale fans seem more positive after last nights game. Sounds like Moore has at least got them looking better so will put up more of a fight. I think Cheltenham will get out of it so I'd expect us Port Vale and Shrewsbury to be fighting it out for the final 2 positions.
    I watched part of it. I thought they were atrocious, looked worse than they did against us but we've flattered most teams this season. 
    Fair enough, I guess atrocious was an improvement of where they were at before. I do think Moore will improve the side. The game against us was ridiculous, they tore us apart - amplifies just how bad we were under Appleton
  • Sponsored links:

• I still think we’ll drop into a relegation place before we hopefully claw a way out. Going to be close I think.

I can see that we will almost certainly be in the bottom 4 after Derby away.
    "We always beat Pompey" will mean nothing comes 3 pm on Saturday as I'm positive we have never faced Pompey when we are 39 points behind them !!!

I believe we will stay up but I'm not confident about the next 2 matches.
    I have certainly not thrown the towel in and Nathan Jones has to convince the players we can get points from the next two games as well as the 11 games after that when several  wins will be needed amongst the draws.
  • edited February 21
    We are still very much in it but as I’ve said before teams down the wrong end of the table are there for a reason I don’t believe they are all going to start going on runs and beating people they haven’t done so far.

so far jones has picked up 2 points far from ideal but I expected us to get peppered at Bolton to go there and score 3 and return with a point is a positive. 

I think March will be pivotal in seeing where we play our football next season 

pompey and derby are free hits it would surprise me if we beat pompey as we are very much there bogey team and they are flying atm. 
    Sorry but this is nonsensical.

There are no free hits when you haven’t won in nearly 20 games and are on the edge of the relegation zone.

We need to win not far short of half of our remaining games off the back of the run I just mentioned. We need every point we can get.

Also you state teams at the bottom won’t all start going on runs which is correct. So does that include us or are we different?
    They won’t all, so some will and some won’t. But enough won’t, which means that all takes is 3-4 wins to pull clear of the pack for now.

You’re either in the camp of we’ve been crap all season we’re never going to go on a run or you’re in the camp of this team should continue improving under NJ and the next couple of wins are just around the corner.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Port Vale still have to arrange 2 postponed fixtures in what is a congested period over Easter The games are home to Wycombe and away to Peterborough.
    Surely arranging 2 extra games in the last 2 months of the season isn't that congested?

Plymouth Parkway in the Isthmian league have 9 games in hand on some sides, that is congestion.
  • We are still very much in it but as I’ve said before teams down the wrong end of the table are there for a reason I don’t believe they are all going to start going on runs and beating people they haven’t done so far.

so far jones has picked up 2 points far from ideal but I expected us to get peppered at Bolton to go there and score 3 and return with a point is a positive. 

pompey and derby are free hits it would surprise me if we beat pompey as we are very much there bogey team and they are flying atm. 

There are no free hits when you haven’t won in nearly 20 games and are on the edge of the relegation zone.

We need to win not far short of half of our remaining games off the back of the run I just mentioned. We need every point we can get.

Also you state teams at the bottom won’t all start going on runs which is correct. So does that include us or are we different?
    In your opinion. 
  • I still think we’ll drop into a relegation place before we hopefully claw a way out. Going to be close I think.

"We always beat Pompey" will mean nothing comes 3 pm on Saturday as I'm positive we have never faced Pompey when we are 39 points behind them !!!

I believe we will stay up but I'm not confident about the next 2 matches.
    I have certainly not thrown the towel in and Nathan Jones has to convince the players we can get points from the next two games as well as the 11 games after that when several  wins will be needed amongst the draws.
    If we do not win either of the next two games we'll certainly be in the bottom four.

Most unlikely win against Portsmouth I can see (Any historians amongst us please correct me) was back in 1984/85. We were 18 points behind them at the time in the old second division. They went on to finish 4th, we finished 17th. We played them in February of 85, and won 1-0 at Fratton Park. We came into the game having only won 2 of 20 in all competitions. They'd only lost once at home all season before that.

Would beating them this season top that?

Most unlikely win against Portsmouth I can see (Any historians amongst us please correct me) was back in 1984/85. We were 18 points behind them at the time in the old second division. They went on to finish 4th, we finished 17th. We played them in February of 85, and won 1-0 at Fratton Park. We came into the game having only won 2 of 20 in all competitions. They'd only lost once at home all season before that.

Would beating them this season top that?
    Yes.
  • We are still very much in it but as I’ve said before teams down the wrong end of the table are there for a reason I don’t believe they are all going to start going on runs and beating people they haven’t done so far.

They won’t all, so some will and some won’t. But enough won’t, which means that all takes is 3-4 wins to pull clear of the pack for now.

You’re either in the camp of we’ve been crap all season we’re never going to go on a run or you’re in the camp of this team should continue improving under NJ and the next couple of wins are just around the corner.
    This. 

Plus, the table today is not going to be the same after 46 games.

We're on a run where we haven't won in 14 games - but that doesn't mean we'll never win again. The past 2 games has shown there has been a change of mentality in the team, an intensity and level of performance that had been missing for months.

Things are changing and with that change, we will get points on the board.

• Those last five home games look like wins to me, add a four points from the away games and I believe we will be ok, achieve that and the club must never repeat this nonsense season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I may be out in a limb here but I still think this talk of 50 points required for safety is wide of the mark. The standard at the bottom this year is very poor and I think low to mid forties could well be enough.  I also take the view, despite the evidence of the last 15 games, that wins will be like busses for us. Get one and I think two or three will follow. With the fixtures we have in March we will have no one to blame but ourselves if we do go down. 
  • I may be out in a limb here but I still think this talk of 50 points required for safety is wide of the mark. The standard at the bottom this year is very poor and I think low to mid forties could well be enough.  I also take the view, despite the evidence of the last 15 games, that wins will be like busses for us. Get one and I think two or three will follow. With the fixtures we have in March we will have no one to blame but ourselves if we do go down. 
    You're right that the standard at the bottom is poor but the standard of the whole league is poor. Virtually everyone has slipped up a few times and is easily beatable. Even Carlisle have managed to win matches
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    dickad1 said:
    Cambridge (loaded with ex CAFC) taking it to Bolton somewhat. Kaikai causing a lot of trouble and made the goal. Puts a little bit of perspective on last Saturday. 
    Sort of but Bolton are stronger at home than away. Played 2 less away games but scored 13 less goals and have lost more away than home (albeit by 1 game). Cambridge home form is also very good, 8 wins there this season. For context we have 7 league wins all season
    But people on here keep saying that form means nothing.....because if it did then how we are going to win 3 or 4 away matches when we've only won one away so far this season & not won at all in 15 !
    Form clearly has importance but you also have to acknowledge that a change of management could well lead to a change in form. The change in management has clearly led to a change in effort and performance levels but that needs to be turned into results
    Still not won in 5 since Appleton got the bullet, 3 of these with Jones.
    Either way, if we go down Jones can be exempt of any blame imo.
    I can’t agree with that. You can make you and I exempt but not the manager. He’s taken us over outside the relegation zone and his job is to keep us out.
  • edited February 22
    Dansk_Red said:
    Port Vale still have to arrange 2 postponed fixtures in what is a congested period over Easter The games are home to Wycombe and away to Peterborough.
    Surely arranging 2 extra games in the last 2 months of the season isn't that congested?

Plymouth Parkway in the Isthmian league have 9 games in hand on some sides, that is congestion.
    It is not Port Vale who have no suitable dates, it is Wycombe and  Peterborough who have made matters worse by both reaching the BSM Trohy final which will be played at Wemley on 7th April meaning their league games that weekend  will have to be rescheduled. Imagine the outcry if they  both play weakend side agaisnt Port Vale. 
  • Come on Wigan
  • FFS...😫
    Wigan 0-1 Cheltenham
  • I'm blaming Mike for that
  • Bottom Four 

Thank you Owners and SMT.
  • Bottom Four 

Thank you Owners and SMT.
    Top of the bottom actually...🙄