Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• I thought this was an interesting exchange from a PV fan 
    Kind of how I feel. Think it will be Carlisle/Fleetwood/Port Vale & Shrewsbury. Not including Leaburn we’ve got 26 first team players on the books. Got to think theirs enough in the squad to get across the line. Surely the front 4 we have ‘currently’ has got to be stronger than any of the teams around us.
    Having a front 4 is pointless is the players behind them cant create anything for them. 2 of the 3 scored yesterday were from defenders that dont usually score. I'd be far happier thinking we could climb up the table if our midfielders were creating some chances. 
  • I thought this was an interesting exchange from a PV fan 
    Kind of how I feel. Think it will be Carlisle/Fleetwood/Port Vale & Shrewsbury. Not including Leaburn we’ve got 26 first team players on the books. Got to think theirs enough in the squad to get across the line. Surely the front 4 we have ‘currently’ has got to be stronger than any of the teams around us.
    Having a front 4 is pointless is the players behind them cant create anything for them. 2 of the 3 scored yesterday were from defenders that dont usually score. I'd be far happier thinking we could climb up the table if our midfielders were creating some chances. 
    On our second goal I thought it was a real positive that we’ve finally scored from a set piece - we were long overdue. We need goals across the team so to see an improvement there is a good sign.

If we press lesser teams as well as we did Bolton and keep up the intensity of our play in general I have no doubts we’ll create chances. The bigger concern for me is keeping our better players injury free.
  • Having not won in 15 games I'd suggest we have problems.
    Portsmouth and Derby will be very difficult to get a win.  March sees 4 aways in 6 games.
    If Jones keeps us up he deserves a massive bonus payment.  Sadly, I cannot see this happening.
    We haven't been in the relegation zone all season, yet you can't see us staying up? 

Are you Golfie in disguise?
  • Chizz said:
    Having not won in 15 games I'd suggest we have problems.
    Portsmouth and Derby will be very difficult to get a win.  March sees 4 aways in 6 games.
    If Jones keeps us up he deserves a massive bonus payment.  Sadly, I cannot see this happening.
    We haven't been in the relegation zone all season, yet you can't see us staying up? 

Strictly speaking we did drop into it for about ten minutes on Saturday 
  • I think I'll go for Reading to beat port vale and Shrewsbury purely on their goal difference being near ours... Better they pull away and let Exeter fall down.. 
  • edited February 20
    https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/predicted

This end of season prediction sees us scraping it by 2 points. Going through their predicted results for Charlton they are fairly realistic.
  • Shrew said:

This end of season prediction sees us scraping it by 2 points. Going through their predicted results for Charlton they are fairly realistic.
    Interestingly that is with hardly any wins. Mainly draws
  • Sponsored links:

• Dansk_Red said:
    Port Vale next match is Reading away on Tuesday. One of their games in hand.
    What do you think is the best outcome  ?  A win for PV ?? A draw ?? Reading win  ??

Normally I'd say a draw. Only 2 points "spent" rather than 3. 
    Are you mad? Why on earth would we want a Port Vale win?!

Absolutely we want a Reading win. I don't think they'll be in any danger come April, so it's much better for us that Port Vale lose tonight, continue to lose and eventually run out of games in hand. PV also have a much worse goal difference than us, so they're effectively another point behind us.

If they win tonight and then beat Shrewsbury and Carlisle in their next 2 games, then Reading will be well clear of trouble.
    Yes, I see your point. On that scenario you then want Reading to be in a run & beating all the teams around us. And hoping on PV not picking up points in their games in hand. 

On balance I think you're right. Thats why I said earlier I dont know what I want, because if Reading dont beat Shrewsbury then it means all the teams around us are picking up points.

Aaarghh....!!!! 
  • WHAddick said:
    Shrew said:

Interestingly that is with hardly any wins. Mainly draws
    We all have are own thoughts on where we will end up. None of us can do anything about our position now or at end of season. 
    Looking at our results in that prediction I also can’t see us winning until Carlisle game.

Don’t agree with that prediction league table, still believe 50 points is safe target and all clubs that don’t reach 50 points will be relegated this season.

Reverse that Charlton v Shrewsbury match result around and we are relegated.

One thing is for sure it will be interesting and the teams that find form will survive.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Port Vale next match is Reading away on Tuesday. One of their games in hand.
    What do you think is the best outcome  ?  A win for PV ?? A draw ?? Reading win  ??

Normally I'd say a draw. Only 2 points "spent" rather than 3. 
    Are you mad? Why on earth would we want a Port Vale win?!

Absolutely we want a Reading win. I don't think they'll be in any danger come April, so it's much better for us that Port Vale lose tonight, continue to lose and eventually run out of games in hand. PV also have a much worse goal difference than us, so they're effectively another point behind us.

If they win tonight and then beat Shrewsbury and Carlisle in their next 2 games, then Reading will be well clear of trouble.
    Yes, I see your point. On that scenario you then want Reading to be in a run & beating all the teams around us. And hoping on PV not picking up points in their games in hand. 

On balance I think you're right. Thats why I said earlier I dont know what I want, because if Reading dont beat Shrewsbury then it means all the teams around us are picking up points.

Aaarghh....!!!! 
    Reading already are on a run to be fair, they've lost just 2 of their last 14 games. I'm confident they won't be anywhere near the relegation zone in April. Port Vale are on a run of 1 win in 10 and we need their poor form to continue.
  • The way I see it is that we cannot influence the results/form of any of those other teams around us (outside of any matches directly against them.)

All we can do is try and make sure our own results are good enough that it doesn't matter if Reading or Port Vale or whoever do go on a Riga style last minute resurrection run, that it's someone else not us who gets dragged in instead.

Easier said than done I grant but Jones looks like he's got as much chance of doing it as anyone could.
  • Shrew said:

Will be horrible on here with that set of results until the win against Carlisle 😂
  • edited February 20
    Was just looking at the league table after 15 games (the night we beat Wigan away).

After that result we were three points behind Derby having played the same number of games. They had 24 points, we had 21.

We are now 33 points behind Derby with us each having played the same number of games (33). They are now 2nd and we are 20th.

- 18 games, 12 points for us.

- 18 games, 42 points for them.
  • edited February 20
    Was just looking at the league table after 15 games (the night we beat Wigan away).

After that result we were three points behind Derby having played the same number of games. They had 24 points, we had 21.

We are now 33 points behind Derby with us each having played the same number of games (33). They are now 2nd and we are 20th.

In fact, go back three games further to the 4-0 home win over Reading when Chuks got injured and the two teams were on equal points (18 from 12). For us, it’s been 15 from 21 since that day while for Derby, they’ve picked up 48 from 21.
  • Was just looking at the league table after 15 games (the night we beat Wigan away).

In fact, go back three games further to the 4-0 home win over Reading when Chuks got injured and the two teams were on equal points (18 from 12). For us, it’s been 15 from 21 since that day while for Derby, they’ve picked up 48 from 21.
    It's a good job we did so well at the start of the season otherwise with an average of less than one point per game in that 21-match run we'd be in a bit of strife right now.
  • Chizz said:

Correct.
  • IdleHans said:
    Chizz said:

You'll be ignored for being so accurate ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Was just looking at the league table after 15 games (the night we beat Wigan away).

It's a good job we did so well at the start of the season otherwise with an average of less than one point per game in that 21-match run we'd be in a bit of strife right now.
    Just as well Alfie found the net so often as well.
  • IdleHans said:
    Chizz said:

I thought that sort of talk wasn't allowed...got flayed alive on the match thread...🙄

• edited February 20

We lost four of the first five games! Not sure that constitutes a good start.

It’s that run of 15 points from 7 games between Fleetwood (H) on 2nd September and Reading (H) on 21st October that’s kept us out of the relegation zone. Four wins during that stretch is over half over total wins for the entire season. Chuks’ six appearances for the season (before his reappearance recently) coincided with that seven game run…

Only two teams have won less games than us. Thankfully ten teams have lost the same amount or more games than us.
  • Need Reading to beat Vale tonight as if Vale win we go into the bottom 4
  • Ffs  !!
    How many own goals are being scored by the teams down with us. 
  • Cambridge U 1 Bolton 0
  • Cambridge U 1 Bolton 0
    Taylor on the bench

Bonne starts up front on his own.

Goal is an OG. 
  • Cambridge (loaded with ex CAFC) taking it to Bolton somewhat. Kaikai causing a lot of trouble and made the goal. Puts a little bit of perspective on last Saturday. 
  • dickad1 said:
    Cambridge (loaded with ex CAFC) taking it to Bolton somewhat. Kaikai causing a lot of trouble and made the goal. Puts a little bit of perspective on last Saturday. 
    Sort of but Bolton are stronger at home than away. Played 2 less away games but scored 13 less goals and have lost more away than home (albeit by 1 game). Cambridge home form is also very good, 8 wins there this season. For context we have 7 league wins all season
  • edited February 20
    fenaddick said:
    dickad1 said:
    Cambridge (loaded with ex CAFC) taking it to Bolton somewhat. Kaikai causing a lot of trouble and made the goal. Puts a little bit of perspective on last Saturday. 
    Sort of but Bolton are stronger at home than away. Played 2 less away games but scored 13 less goals and have lost more away than home (albeit by 1 game). Cambridge home form is also very good, 8 wins there this season. For context we have 7 league wins all season
    But people on here keep saying that form means nothing.....because if it did then how we are going to win 3 or 4 away matches when we've only won one away so far this season & not won at all in 15 !