Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Relegation Watch 2024

Comments

• Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    I’m still bemused by the idea that someone who hasn’t been a number 1 since pre Covid and failed in League 2 with Southend was going to be the answer 
    Is that the Southend on the complete slide to hell 

show some respect to SCP 

the fella who produced a 100+ points and a ninth place with no budget championship finish for OUR club 

It was a great season, but it’s 11 years ago, and since then his career as a manager hasn’t been stella. 
    Nathan Jones has hardly set the world alight outside Luton 

SCP eas/is our perfect fit , not that we deserve someone as good as him 

• Rothko said:
    I’m still bemused by the idea that someone who hasn’t been a number 1 since pre Covid and failed in League 2 with Southend was going to be the answer 
    Is that the Southend on the complete slide to hell 

show some respect to SCP 

the fella who produced a 100+ points and a ninth place with no budget championship finish for OUR club 

One point which admittedly is of no relevance to this thread is the Championship season is often overlooked - I actually think that was even more impressive than the title season. If we had half the backing we expected I have no doubt he would have got us back to the prem.
    It was indeed as is his talent spotting of Nathan Jones. But SCP is not the horse for this course.

More relevant for our current predicament is how he couldn't motivate Parkinson's failing squad. The defeat at Dagenham in particular will stay long in the mind.

Things improved when he created his own squad 
  • Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

Until we prove we can win multiple games, never mind just one, it looks grim.
    The only table that matters is the one that has 46 games played.

We will win games playing the way we have the last two Saturdays.
    You need to have a day off, dear me.

16 games without a win.  Jones(although not without blame) 4 games without a win.  6 games without a win after Appleton.

The rose tinted brigade give my a*** a headache.

Things are desperate, another game today nearer relegation.
    And you chat shit, so maybe take your own advice and have a day off as well.
    "chat" s***. :'(

Look at the stats.
  • At least, under Jones, its actually starting to be enjoyable watching Charlton again. The Reading game came too early for NJ to change too much after only a few training sessions and Lincoln was much the same with only 3 days between games. The team have been a different animal since then though and i'm sure we will continue to improve. Looking forward to it!
  • Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

16 games without a win.  Jones(although not without blame) 4 games without a win.  6 games without a win after Appleton.

Jesus. You are a happy soul..

I don’t think my opinion is the minority one. If you think I’m being rose tinted I’ve got nothing to really say. 

If you try hard enough you might find something positive to say about the last two games of football we’ve played.

Simple question. Based on what we have seen over the last few games, when are we next going to win, and why?

No gut feel. Data and facts.
    Bolton have the 2nd best home record in the league, they couldn’t beat us.

Portsmouth have the best away record in the league, they couldn’t beat us.

After Derby we have:

Northampton are 10th in the home table, Cheltenham are 20th in the home table, Carlisle are 24th in the away table and Fleetwood are 24th in the home table. Wigan are 10th in the away table, Exeter are 21st in the home table.

I back us to win three of those six games, if we play at the level that’s got us two draws against Pompey and Bolton.

We have not won in the past 16 games :'(

I don’t think my opinion is the minority one. If you think I’m being rose tinted I’ve got nothing to really say. 

If you try hard enough you might find something positive to say about the last two games of football we’ve played.

Simple question. Based on what we have seen over the last few games, when are we next going to win, and why?

Bolton have the 2nd best home record in the league, they couldn’t beat us.

Portsmouth have the best away record in the league, they couldn’t beat us.

After Derby we have:

Northampton are 10th in the home table, Cheltenham are 20th in the home table, Carlisle are 24th in the away table and Fleetwood are 24th in the home table. Wigan are 10th in the away table, Exeter are 21st in the home table.

I back us to win three of those six games, if we play at the level that’s got us two draws against Pompey and Bolton.

Winning 3 in 6 when not won a game in 16.

• edited February 24
    Your turn @DamoNorthStand , let’s hear how a club legend would’ve got a win in his first four games. No gut feel, data and facts.
    The data and facts for the last 4 games is we didn’t hire a club legend and didn’t win a single one of four must win games.

That’s not gut feel or guesswork.

It happened. That’s it.

Now it so happens I can see more of a glimmer than 2 games ago. Definitely something about us. I’m happy to admit that. But nowhere near enough.

But to date, outside of looking a bit more solid than I expected, it’s gone exactly as I predicted. Disappointed with the energy and bounce around the stadium. And around the club. Hasn’t got the feel of precious great escape seasons. 

Now there are 12 games to go instead of 16.

25pc of our games under NJ have gone. And we haven’t won one of them. Thats not a great data point!
    You're just "chatting s***" :)

I hate posts like this. Why be rude to someone for having a different view?

what has Callum said that's wrong? There will be more twists and turns over the next 13 games, so yes, the only table that matters is after 46 games. Our last relegation where we were only in the relegation for one game week up until the last game shows that.

people aren't being rose tinted, they are being positive. I'm guessing the manager and coaching staff are also being positive, to prevent players heads dropping like they clearly did under Appleton. 

I also agree with Callum that we will win games playing like we have done the last two Saturdays. Can we keep this up for 13 games, time will tell. It's not certain that we will stay up, or go down. We are in trouble but a couple of wins will change that and they will come under jones. 2 points from 2 games where we all expected 0 is a good return, plus a clean sheet for the first time in half a season. Today was another unexpected point and another point closer to the magic 50 mark. 

we were in free fall under Appleton and couldn't beat cray valley!!! Jones was never going to come on and automatically turn us into Brazil but we are improving. I hope it's not to late but we are not going rolled over week in week out at the moment.

fair play to Callum for keeping positive and I hope you right. Let's move onto Tuesday and hope we continue to fight and be hard to beat!
    I was not being rude, unlike the individual who said I was "chatting s***" :D.
    Anyway, we are running out of games and there is NOTHING giving me positive thoughts of staying up.
    "Chatting s***" :D:D
  • Sponsored links:

• Your turn @DamoNorthStand , let’s hear how a club legend would’ve got a win in his first four games. No gut feel, data and facts.
    The data and facts for the last 4 games is we didn’t hire a club legend and didn’t win a single one of four must win games.

It happened. That’s it.

Now it so happens I can see more of a glimmer than 2 games ago. Definitely something about us. I’m happy to admit that. But nowhere near enough.

But to date, outside of looking a bit more solid than I expected, it’s gone exactly as I predicted. Disappointed with the energy and bounce around the stadium. And around the club. Hasn’t got the feel of precious great escape seasons. 

25pc of our games under NJ have gone. And we haven’t won one of them. Thats not a great data point!
    You're just "chatting s***"
    You are. Getting all personal to someone who posts just about Charlton for absolutely no reason.

As you said, ‘have a day off’, especially after them 4 posts in a row.
    You always lose the argument once swearing.

Anyway, to not win a game in 16 does not breed confidence.  Is that fair to say?
  • Your turn @DamoNorthStand , let’s hear how a club legend would’ve got a win in his first four games. No gut feel, data and facts.

It happened. That’s it.

You are. Getting all personal to someone who posts just about Charlton for absolutely no reason.

Anyway, to not win a game in 16 does not breed confidence.  Is that fair to say?
    I do miss you mate.

• This is my fault - I kick started this.

Where’s Belinda when you need her?

We dream the same dream, we want the same thing.
  • clb74 said:
    Your turn @DamoNorthStand , let’s hear how a club legend would’ve got a win in his first four games. No gut feel, data and facts.

It happened. That’s it.

I do miss you mate.

He’s either on one big wind up or turning into Victor Meldrew, maybe it’s  homesickness 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:

It happened. That’s it.

I do miss you mate.

He’s either on one big wind up or turning into Victor Meldrew, maybe it’s  homesickness 😉
    I'm not.
    We're running out of games and the next run of games to the end of March do not breed confidence.
    As for swearing, the gentleman you are can agree I am correct.
  • This is my fault - I kick started this.

Where’s Belinda when you need her?

We dream the same dream, we want the same thing.
    Heaven is a place.......not in division four.
  • clb74 said:

It happened. That’s it.

I do miss you mate.

Can you get out here lively to get my bathrooms changed?
     <3 
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:

It happened. That’s it.

I do miss you mate.

I'm not.
    We're running out of games and the next run of games to the end of March do not breed confidence.
    You drive people to swear at you.
    After Derby we need to start winning games quickly.
    I personally think we will stay up quite easy.
    Problem could come if we drop into the bottom 4 and how that affects the team.
  • edited February 24
    clb74 said:
    RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:

It happened. That’s it.

I do miss you mate.

I'm not.
    You drive people to swear at you.
    After Derby we need to start winning games quickly.
    I personally think we will stay up quite easy.
    Problem could come if we drop into the bottom 4 and how that affects the team.
    Forget about doing my bathrooms, it was a good earner.
    "After Derby" ;), dear oh dear, we're fifth bottom and can afford to lose the next game!!!!!!
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    clb74 said:

It happened. That’s it.

I do miss you mate.

I'm not.
    Elfie, nobody is under any illusion that we have to start winning games but you never gave us a hope in hell in either of the last two games, so that’s 2 points better off than you’d hoped for!

Surely you can see some green shoots of recovery after those last two performances. NJ has installed a work ethic and belief in the squad and there’s no point getting ahead of ourselves worrying about the worse case scenarios. And there’s no point focusing on how many games without a win, what’s done is done it can’t be changed.

We have a new leader who’s got his team dancing to a happier tune and given the fans hope when all seemed lost under Appleton. We’ve got the clean sheet monkey off our backs and it’s one game at a time now. There’s 12 cup finals ahead of us irrespective of whether they are home or away. We need to keep accumulating points and see where that takes us. Live, love, laugh and be happy, you know it makes sense 😉

As (the VERY fit)Belinda Carlisle said, we want the same thing.
  • edited February 24
    Croydon said:
    Personally, I can’t see how anybody can look at that league table and think anything other than we are in deep shit.

But we have easy away games coming up at Fleetwood, Burton, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury. The fact we have won away once all season doesn't come into the equation 
    The only way to stop these complaints is to actually win a game but I do feel very confident, having watched the growth of this NJ team, that’ll we get at least a couple of away wins between now and May.
    I understand people getting caught up on the one away win, but this is a completely different team (personnel and mentality) to the one that we had until end of January. Those stats to me are largely irrelevant
    That's how I see it. We compete harder now and that will ensure we are not in the bottom four come the end of the season. Pompey are a very hard working team and we matched them in that respect today which is a real positive. No way the team of a few matches ago could do that.

Based on your data and facts we couldn't keep a clean sheet against Pompey. 
  • I do think we are building a reasonable base to construct a survival bid from.  However without a win or two very soon that foundation will subside very quickly, currently I think we will stay up but am far from certain.

I do wonder if other supporters have changed their minds about us.  We must have been certainties to go in most people's eyes, but has that shifted now we have a sensible manager and have found some resilience from somewhere?  Results like yesterday aren't a bounce, they are from hardwork and time spent on the training ground.