Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Valley11 said:
    Is Jones definitely a ‘done deal’?
    Feels very ominous the lack of official announcement.
    They can’t announce him until the legal papers get signed of by LMA .. deal all done 
  • fenaddick said:
    Scoham said:

imagine watching yesterdays match and thinking “yeah, I’ll have some of that”. Must like a challenge 
    blimey didn’t thank I’d have to clarify that this wasn’t a fully serious comment 
  • Scoham said:

I thought it had already been signed & it was waiting for clearance from the LMA. 

More back tracking. 
    don’t think it would be signed without LMA approval, otherwise there’s no point them getting involved 
  • edited February 4
    Has to target the next two for six points. Then try to get a point or two against Bolton, Pompey and Derby. If he can do that, say, 6-8 points across those games, I think we’ll be safe. 
  • Chunes said:
    Listening to NTT20 podcast last week when talking about us they said that there isn’t a team in the country more primed for a new manager bounce than us. They seem to believe that with the right manager this team can be a good side. 
    They also said MA would be great for us - and when the summer window closed said we had one of the best squads in the league!
    We all thought so on the squad as well. Hopefully they have massively underperformed.
  • edited February 4
    Chunes said:
    Listening to NTT20 podcast last week when talking about us they said that there isn’t a team in the country more primed for a new manager bounce than us. They seem to believe that with the right manager this team can be a good side. 
    They also said MA would be great for us - and when the summer window closed said we had one of the best squads in the league!
    We all thought so on the squad as well. Hopefully they have massively underperformed.
    I think the general view when the summer window closed was that the squad was not good enough. 

Elek talked about it on the podcast, said how he'd spent his whole Sunday on Twitter arguing with Charlton fans about their squad. Apparently he knew better!
  • Next Saturday will feature a former Southampton manager (Selles) taking on his predecessor (Jones).
  • Sponsored links:

• Listening to NTT20 podcast last week when talking about us they said that there isn’t a team in the country more primed for a new manager bounce than us. They seem to believe that with the right manager this team can be a good side. 
    They also sang the praises of Appleton when he was appointed.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I think the general view when the summer window closed was that the squad was not good enough. 

Elek talked about it on the podcast, said how he'd spent his whole Sunday on Twitter arguing with Charlton fans about their squad. Apparently he knew better!
    Elek didn't take injuries into account. Charlton fans have grown to know better
  • March looks rough with the away games but if Nathan can't get us to beat 3 of the bottom 4 clubs then we deserve to get relegated. 

My concern is more will he stay with us if he can't perform a miracle and we get relegated? Plus and more importantly will the main money men in the States decide to bail out as well? 

Because we're  Charlton this could be a distinct possibility. 

I really hope it doesn't get to that situation but this season as many lifers have said has been coming for over 10 years at least.

• March looks rough with the away games but if Nathan can't get us to beat 3 of the bottom 4 clubs then we deserve to get relegated. 

My concern is more will he stay with us if he can't perform a miracle and we get relegated? Plus and more importantly will the main money men in the States decide to bail out as well? 

I really hope it doesn't get to that situation but this season as many lifers have said has been coming for over 10 years at least.

The decline started 18 years  ago under Richard Murray … the owners know this is going to take time to get right not just on the pitch but off it as well there not been a stable structure at the club for many many years …. we won’t go down .. but I dint think it would make much diff if we did to be honest cause we would still be rebuilding the squad and club and you can easy go through league one if we get that right ..
     but that’s not an issue we will stay in league one our performance at Blackpool second  half and yesterday are not of a side going down .. we need one of two back and we need to find that system that’s sorts the players we have .  Jones likes diamond and 433 so will be interesting what he goes with next Saturday 

On the contrary i actually think our run in at the end of the season is what will save us.

After 3 of the toughest games possible at the end of February our last 10-11 games are not bad ‘on paper’. We only play Barnsley and Stevenage out of the top sides and they’re both at home. The run in could be a lot worse.
    My concern is that if we are in the bottom 4 after the tough run, does this squad have the character to dig in and get ourselves back out of it with the easier games. I’m not sure 
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn’t the season supposed to be saved by the appearance of Aneke for 30 minutes spread over three games?
  • seth plum said:
    Isn’t the season supposed to be saved by the appearance of Aneke for 30 minutes spread over three games?
    THAT  could be the miracle that Scott is praying for....

The decline started 18 years  ago under Richard Murray … the owners know this is going to take time to get right not just on the pitch but off it as well there not been a stable structure at the club for many many years …. we won’t go down .. but I dint think it would make much diff if we did to be honest cause we would still be rebuilding the squad and club and you can easy go through league one if we get that right ..
     but that’s not an issue we will stay in league one our performance at Blackpool second  half and yesterday are not of a side going down .. we need one of two back and we need to find that system that’s sorts the players we have .  Jones likes diamond and 433 so will be interesting what he goes with next Saturday 
    I blame WW2 myself… or Thatcher… or Blair. If only each season started with a clean sheet in terms of points.
    To be fair, we were flying until the war intervened, and never quite maintained momentum after it, despite winning the FA Cup.

It's good opportunity for Jones to build something at a club which has been starved of any sort of success since 2019. The long decline needs arresting urgently. And it won't be easy.
    Anyone know the odds on our relegation? Paddy Power aren't offering a price.
  • NabySarr said:
    March looks rough with the away games but if Nathan can't get us to beat 3 of the bottom 4 clubs then we deserve to get relegated. 

On the contrary i actually think our run in at the end of the season is what will save us.

After 3 of the toughest games possible at the end of February our last 10-11 games are not bad ‘on paper’. We only play Barnsley and Stevenage out of the top sides and they’re both at home. The run in could be a lot worse.
    My concern is that if we are in the bottom 4 after the tough run, does this squad have the character to dig in and get ourselves back out of it with the easier games. I’m not sure 
    It's a fair point, once you're sucked in it can be hard to get out, and i'm already kind of expecting that we will be in the bottom 4 at the end of this month.

But that said you'd still rather have the run in we have, than Reading for example who in the same end of season run of games go away to Derby, Bolton and Barnsley. 

I imagine there is a clause should we go done he leaves.

Really?
  • Gribbo said:
    March looks rough with the away games but if Nathan can't get us to beat 3 of the bottom 4 clubs then we deserve to get relegated. 

Really?
    I cannot imagine Jones would want to try and get a team out of the 4th division.