Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Come on Jimmy. Get this last one!!!!
  • Oh Jimmy. Jimmy!!!
  • One of the greatest England cricketers of all time departs for the last time. 
    We are so so lucky to have seen him play. 
  • Gus Atkinson may retired from test cricket now as he realises it's all down hill from here  having taken 12 wickets in the two innings, the best bowling debut in 134 years for England.

The 1890 test match I remember as if it was yesterday 🧐
  • Real shame it didn't end with the c&b.

What a player he's been - a time without Broad and Anderson bowling for England feels so alien now.
  • Sorry to make some of you feel your age but I have never known cricket without Anderson. I was 4 when he made his test debut. A very weird feeling knowing that I'll have to get used to cricket without him.
  • fenaddick said:
    Sorry to make some of you feel your age but I have never known cricket without Anderson. I was 4 when he made his test debut. A very weird feeling knowing that I'll have to get used to cricket without him.
    Aktinson was 5. Wonder how old that makes Anderson feel. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Sorry to make some of you feel your age but I have never known cricket without Anderson. I was 4 when he made his test debut. A very weird feeling knowing that I'll have to get used to cricket without him.
    If you want to feel old, then I saw Freddie Trueman take his 300 test wicket at the Oval, caiught by one of the greatest slip fielders I ever seen Colin Cowdrey. Now test bowlers are taking 700+ wickets.
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Old.
  • Also I don't think Atkinson despite his pace is good enough. 
    Again I say this as a Surrey fan.

Hopefully both will prove me wrong 
    Awful pace attack on paper.
     :) 
  • edited July 12
    He bowled like Pat Cummins ffs. Nobody saw this happening 
  • fenaddick said:
    If you want to feel old, then I saw Freddie Trueman take his 300 test wicket at the Oval, caiught by one of the greatest slip fielders I ever seen Colin Cowdrey. Now test bowlers are taking 700+ wickets.
    I don't think numbers for seamers like those of Anderson and Broad will ever be repeated, with the decline of Test cricket in many countries, and the lure of franchise cricket. 

Most pace bowlers now, when they reach a certain age, will be happy to rest their bodies just bowling well paid 4 over spells in T20 games.
  • There's a side of me that still regrets that Jimmy didn't retire before Broad, as it would have been interesting to see Broad by himself for a couple of years as the leader of the attack.
  • pity that Jimmy's last stand was such a non event .. a 'test' it was definitely not .. soon be hearing you on Sky or TMS Jimmy
  • There's a side of me that still regrets that Jimmy didn't retire before Broad, as it would have been interesting to see Broad by himself for a couple of years as the leader of the attack.
    You could argue he was fir the last couple of years.

Certainly the main bowler in the Ashes last year.
  • fenaddick said:
    May be an image of 3 people and text that says JAMES ANDERSONS FINAL TEST  TEAMMATES AGES AT THE TIME OF HIS ENGLAND DEBUT IN 2003 ZAK CRAWLEY- 5 BEN DUCKETT- inch BLEIENT 613 dinch OLLIE POPE- 5 JOE ROOT- ROOT-12 12 HARRY - 4 BEN STOKES- 11 JAMIE SMITH- 2 CHRIS WOAKES- 14 GUS ATKINSON- 5 SHOAIB BASHIR- NOT BORN sportskeeda
  • I find it fascinating that in Jimmy's first Test in 2003, he played alongside Alec Stewart who made his Test debut in 1990. And Stewart played alongside Graham Gooch, who made his Test debut in 1975. 

So a 49 year period can be spanned by just 3 England players. 
  • pity that Jimmy's last stand was such a non event .. a 'test' it was definitely not .. soon be hearing you on Sky or TMS Jimmy
    I can’t see him lasting long on either just the odd appearance , he’s nowhere near as eloquent and smooth talking with personality as Broady or any of the others and he’s a northerner 
  • Sponsored links:

I can’t see him lasting long on either just the odd appearance , he’s nowhere near as eloquent and smooth talking with personality as Broady or any of the others and he’s a northerner 
    Athers, Bumble, Agnew, Boycott, Vaughan...

I would agree that he's less of a natural broadcaster than Broad. I remember during the 2010/11 series down under, that when he got injured he did a bit of radio commentary before flying home, and he was a natural.
  • Managed to see the fall of the last two wickets. Would have loved to be there for the full day although we did stay to watch the prizes and went on the pitch for the photo shoot. Nice day as well. We consumed 7 bottles of champagne.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cd1x4erwrwyo

Mark Wood for Anderson is the one England change for the 2nd Test
  • A bit of a puzzler recalling Wood when he wasn't even in the squad. Against a poor West Indies side, surely it was the ideal time to give Potts or Pennington a game. What will we learn from Wood playing? 
  • A bit of a puzzler recalling Wood when he wasn't even in the squad. Against a poor West Indies side, surely it was the ideal time to give Potts or Pennington a game. What will we learn from Wood playing? 
    I don’t think we’d learn if the other two were good enough against that batting lineup either 
  • I imagine Wood is seen as a regular in the Test side, especially for down under, and was just rested for the 1st Test after playing in the World Cup. Indeed the WC slightly showed his limitations in T20s.

The great thing about Stokes being fit again, is that Stokes is a great stock bowler, leaving Wood free to bowl short, sharp spells. 
  • edited July 18
    WI won toss & bowl.
    (To my surprise as it's blue sky and sunny).
  • WI won toss & bowl.
    (To my surprise as it's blue sky and sunny).
    agreed. And Stokes wouldn't say what England would have done!
  • Crawley caught in the slips 0
  • Crawley caught in the slips 0
    Carrying his Kent form on, some consistency!