Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Time for a new thread. So why not start a new England cricket thread by talking about the 2nd Test between South Africa and India. South Africa were bowled out for 55. India, in reply, were 153-4 and managed to lose their final SIX wickets for NO RUNS. And South Africa have to bat for a second time on the first day!!!

Comments

• Options
    The most wickets at the same score in Test history. 
  • Options
    edited January 3
    India’s scorecard: 0, 39, 36, 46, 0, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 n/o

By contrast, despite scoring only 55, South Africa only had one batsman dismissed for 0
  • Options
    Haven't been able to watch. Is it a spicy deck or just inept batting?
  • Options
    I've only caught the last hour or so because I was punting on the two BB games but there is a lot of variable bounce with the main issue being the ones that are "tennis ball" in nature.
  • Options
    Wicket number 21 in the day - Dean Algar out for the final time in Test cricket

37-1 and SA still trail by 61
  • Options
    De Zorzi soon follows

249-22 in the day
  • Options
    And now Stubbs gets a brute of a ball. The ICC will, inevitably, have to take a look at the wicket.

45-3 and still need another 53 runs to avoid an innings defeat. 23 wickets in the day.
  • Options
    62-3 at close

SA trail by 36

SA lowest total (55) since being re-admitted to Test cricket almost 33 years ago

Record equaling number of wickets (23) to fall in the same say

Record number of wickets (6) falling on the same score
  • Options
    Funny thing is, SA are sending over a very very weak squad to NZ as their 20/20 series is taking place at the same time. Only 5 players with Test experience and only 3 of the players playing in this series against India.
  • Options
    SA 176 all out. India need 79 to level the series 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    India win by 7 wickets. Markram's second innings of 106 is another remarkable stat given that the other 32 wickets in the match averaged just 9.25  
  • Options
    I saw a tweet the other day that England are playing a test on 24% of days this year!
  • Options
    Fewest amount of balls needed to win a Test match. 

I don't know if anyone watched the highlights of Day 1 on Sky last night. The one shown at 9pm started with India's 1st innings (second session of the day). After they were all out Sky had an ad break & when they came back the programme started with SA first innings  :). Someone messed up there but wonder how ?
  • Options
    I saw a tweet the other day that England are playing a test on 24% of days this year!
    Unless I'm missing some fixtures I'm not sure that tweet is correct - Series against India (25), West Indies (15), Sri Lanka (15) and New Zealand (15) makes 70 days in total or 19%. Of course, most of those Tests won't last for 5 days and not many of our players will play in all of them anyway especially the quick bowlers. Most people would take being paid more £500k for say 50 days work a year. 
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/benjonescricket/status/1739711064441254303?s=48

Here is said tweet on question. Does not sound true to me either.
  • Options
    Unless I'm missing some fixtures I'm not sure that tweet is correct - Series against India (25), West Indies (15), Sri Lanka (15) and New Zealand (15) makes 70 days in total or 19%. Of course, most of those Tests won't last for 5 days and not many of our players will play in all of them anyway especially the quick bowlers. Most people would take being paid more £500k for say 50 days work a year. 
    Ben Jones (see link from FCF) said 17 tests including next winters before the new year so 85 days.
  • Options
    Ben Jones (see link from FCF) said 17 tests including next winters before the new year so 85 days.
    So there must be a three match series against someone I haven't mentioned? 
  • Options
    There's a 3 match series away to Pakistan in October.

Schedule of tests is:

5 v India away
    3 v SL home
    3 v Windies home
    3 v Pakistan away
    3 v NZ away
  • Options

Schedule of tests is:

5 v India away
    3 v SL home
    3 v Windies home
    3 v Pakistan away
    3 v NZ away
    Thanks - it's the Pakistan Series that I was missing. The ECB don't mention that or the NZ Series - I assume because the actual dates haven't yet been confirmed:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/fixtures

• Options
    Minus the expected batting collapses and innings defeats and you can reduce that to 15%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pakistan failed in their attempt to do a "South Africa". First they lost two wickets with only one run on the board and then went from 58-2 to 67-7. So, effectively, 7 wickets lost for just 11 runs. 
  • Options
    Aamer Jamal is having the game of his life, and his teammates are screwing it all up. We all know what he has to do tomorrow... 
  • Options

Schedule of tests is:

5 v India away
    3 v SL home
    3 v Windies home
    3 v Pakistan away
    3 v NZ away
    That's a weird schedule, having Tests away in Pakistan in October, and then in NZ in November/December, rather than after Christmas. The Champions Trophy is in February 2025, so maybe that's why the NZ series is earlier?

2025 then only has 8? Tests. 5 at home to India then the away Ashes, with 3? played before Christmas.
  • Options
  • Options
    By all accounts Newlands only has a part time grounds person because The Western Province Cricket Association cannot afford a full time one! 
  • Options
    First time I've ever seen Alex Hales take three wickets in a match. If you can call running three of your batting partners out as doing so because that is what he did to Bancroft, Kohler-Cadmore and Davies in today's BB game. The wicket itself looks an absolute bunsen burner too (the two left armers namely Ashton Agar with 4-1-6-2 and no balls that went for more than a single and equalled the record, with 18, for the number of dots in a spell in the BB and Cooper Connolly returning 4-0-25-3) but at least Hales was there for all bar two balls of the innings for 72 off 55 balls. 
  • Options
    First time I've ever seen Alex Hales take three wickets in a match. If you can call running three of your batting partners out as doing so because that is what he did to Bancroft, Kohler-Cadmore and Davies in today's BB game. The wicket itself looks an absolute bunsen burner too (the two left armers namely Ashton Agar with 4-1-6-2 and no balls that went for more than a single and equalled the record, with 18, for the number of dots in a spell in the BB and Cooper Connolly returning 4-0-25-3) but at least Hales was there for all bar two balls of the innings for 72 off 55 balls. 
    Someone told him that he needed to bat more like Geoff Boycott
  • Options

• Options
    edited January 11
    I see Steve Smith is going to open for the Aussie Test team.

Interesting development, brave of him to move up, apparently no one else wanted to and he volunteered.

Thought Labuschagne might do it, but Smith will probably step up fine.