Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Years ago I can remember Boycott ans Alan Butcher opening for England and bringing up a 50 partnership on the stroke of lunch.
    How times change. 
    DHOTY ;-)
    Sorry Chizz 
    No idea what that means. 
    I'm casting doubt over whether that really happened.  In a gentle, joshing, not-meaning-to-be-offensive way.  I don't think they ever made a fifty partnership in Tests.  
    From memory it was Alan Butchers test debut. 

My memory could be playing tricks though. 
  • 281-5
    Pope c Hodge (2nd slip) b A Joseph 121
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Years ago I can remember Boycott ans Alan Butcher opening for England and bringing up a 50 partnership on the stroke of lunch.
    How times change. 
    DHOTY ;-)
    Sorry Chizz 
    No idea what that means. 
    I'm casting doubt over whether that really happened.  In a gentle, joshing, not-meaning-to-be-offensive way.  I don't think they ever made a fifty partnership in Tests.  

Just googled it.
    It was a Test trial in 1976.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    How times change. 
    DHOTY ;-)
    Sorry Chizz 
    No idea what that means. 

Just googled it.
    Was that a thing? How did that work, was it like an A team v B team match?
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    How times change. 
    DHOTY ;-)
    Sorry Chizz 
    No idea what that means. 

Just googled it.
    No idea mate. 
    I remember watching the match but how many Test trials were played back then I have no idea. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    How times change. 
    DHOTY ;-)
    Sorry Chizz 
    No idea what that means. 

Just googled it.
    No idea mate. 
    I remember watching the match but how many Test trials were played back then I have no idea. 
    I've often thought test trials would be a good idea, especially at the end of the season when the tour teams are being finalised. 
  • Crawley said during the week that he's not bothered about his batting average for England. 
    Well I suggest he should be.
    He currently only averages 34 which isn’t particularly good and as soon as another Engish opener performs well in county cricket his position will not be guaranteed. 
    He only averaged 27 this time last year.

Pope
    Stokes
    butler
    bairatow
    ali

all not to dissimilar records

then look at sibley
    Burns
    lees
    plus numerous others over the last decade. Crawley isn’t a Strauss or cook but he is also a lot better than many more who have opened in recent times
  • edited July 18
    342-6
    Stokes c sub B Hodge 69 (caught on the boundary slogging) 
  • 367-7
    Smith c Holder (slogging) b Hodge 36
  • Who is this Slogging?  Sounds like a good fielder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Atkinson c Hodge (1st slip) b Sinclair 2
  • Woakes c Holder (2nd slip) b Seales 37
    408-9
  • edited July 18
    Crawley averages 45.1 across his last 20 innings for England. 

8 innings against Australia, 10 against India and 2 against West Indies.
  • Bashir c Holder (2nd slip) b A Joseph 5
    416 All Out
  • Crawley said during the week that he's not bothered about his batting average for England. 
    He currently only averages 34 which isn’t particularly good and as soon as another Engish opener performs well in county cricket his position will not be guaranteed. 

Pope
    Stokes
    butler
    bairatow
    ali

then look at sibley
    Burns
    lees
    plus numerous others over the last decade. Crawley isn’t a Strauss or cook but he is also a lot better than many more who have opened in recent times
    Crawley 's dad is a mate of mine and there's nothing more I'd like than him having a long and successful career. 
    Having said that I still believe he has to improve his average.

Pope
    Stokes
    butler
    bairatow
    ali

then look at sibley
    Burns
    lees
    Crawley 's dad is a mate of mine and there's nothing more I'd like than him having a long and successful career. 
    Yep, he does. 34 isn’t great but his average is increasing

Pope
    Stokes
    butler
    bairatow
    ali

then look at sibley
    Burns
    lees
    Yep, he does. 34 isn’t great but his average is increasing
    Just like my waist. 
  • Not been following today's play, but is England's 416 in a day a sensational bit of Bazball batting, or have England left runs out there by being too cavalier?

Not an issue in this series, but if we are to win the Ashes down under, we'll need scores of 500 plus.
  • Not been following today's play, but is England's 416 in a day a sensational bit of Bazball batting, or have England left runs out there by being too cavalier?
    Bit of both, and leaning towards the latter.

Not an issue in this series, but if we are to win the Ashes down under, we'll need scores of 500 plus.
    Could have gone either way. Windies dropped a number of catches & 2 missed stumping. Stokes & Brook were guilty of giving their wickets away. Could have been all out for 300 or 450 for 6 at close.
  • Sponsored links:

• WI 140-3   41 overs
  • Bouncer tactics are so dumb and horrible to watch 
  • Bashir c Holder (2nd slip) b A Joseph 5
    416 All Out
    Take into account how awful the WI fielding and catching were, that score's about 150 light of where England should have got to on an absolute road against moderate bowling.
    All too familiar story of bazball = freedom to toss your wicket away in the lamest possible fashion.  Zak got a decent ball, Bashir's a proper no.11, Pope can be excused but the rest of them tossed it away.
    WI's batting resources aren't too threatening but they'll be confident of avoiding the follow on and coasting into no worse than a draw with the expected rain interruptions to come.
    England's position at the bottom of the test championship is the true measure of the Stokes/McCullum "project."
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Bashir c Holder (2nd slip) b A Joseph 5
    416 All Out
    Take into account how awful the WI fielding and catching were, that score's about 150 light of where England should have got to on an absolute road against moderate bowling.
    All too familiar story of bazball = freedom to toss your wicket away in the lamest possible fashion.  Zak got a decent ball, Bashir's a proper no.11, Pope can be excused but the rest of them tossed it away.
    WI's batting resources aren't too threatening but they'll be confident of avoiding the follow on and coasting into no worse than a draw with the expected rain interruptions to come.
    England's position at the bottom of the test championship is the true measure of the Stokes/McCullum "project."
    For the avoidance of any doubt, do you mean, by your final sentence, that you consider England to be the worst team in the world? 

I think today's scorecard answers my question.
  • Life after Jimmy suddenly looking a bit daunting 
  • 305-5
    Hodge lbw Woakes 120
  • edited July 19
    Not been following today's play, but is England's 416 in a day a sensational bit of Bazball batting, or have England left runs out there by being too cavalier?

We did it in the first Test too. In our two Innings, 8 players have reached 50 (11 got to 36) and only one of them have turned that into a ton. On docile tracks, that isn't good enough. As you suggest, getting a quick 375-400 all out against Australia in a day and we will end up doing what we did before - giving them enough time to score sufficient runs to take the game away from us. West Indies have finished on 351-5 and just 65 behind with three days to go. If they can do that, then Australia can too. Better too. We should also remember the other by-product of us scoring quickly for not that great a score - our bowlers having to be in the middle for longer with little respite. Over the course of a Series that does mount up. 

We did it in the first Test too. In our two Innings, 8 players have reached 50 (11 got to 36) and only one of them have turned that into a ton. On docile tracks, that isn't good enough. As you suggest, getting a quick 375-400 all out against Australia in a day and we will end up doing what we did before - giving them enough time to score sufficient runs to take the game away from us. West Indies have finished on 351-5 and just 65 behind with three days to go. If they can do that, then Australia can too. Better too. We should also remember the other by-product of us scoring quickly for not that great a score - our bowlers having to be in the middle for longer with little respite. Over the course of a Series that does mount up. 

And with their better bowling and catching, we wouldn't made 400 against Australia anyway. An exciting 320 batting first won't win many games down under.

It's good for the series that we have a contest in this match, but if England are serious about winning the World Test Championship, then these are the sorts of opponents we need to really pummel.