Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• If a younger bowler isn’t being blooded this series, they should have stuck with anderson
    Atkinson made his test debut. 
  • Woakes is 35 and wood is in his 30’s. What have the management actually learned about other players in this series.

now would be the perfect time to give woakes a game off and give someone else overs. Except woakes needs overs, partly due to the shot scheduling and the 100.
  • Woakes is 35 and wood is in his 30’s. What have the management actually learned about other players in this series.

now would be the perfect time to give woakes a game off and give someone else overs. Except woakes needs overs, partly due to the shot scheduling and the 100.
    Wood is the one I'm surprised they aren't resting, even after one Test, given his injury history.

Wood is the one I'm surprised they aren't resting, even after one Test, given his injury history.
    I think it makes sense to test him over two, close-together Tests.  He got through one test ok, but to be a realistic Ashes selection, he should demonstrate he's able to bowl in consecutive Tests.  

Picking him for this Test isn't the worst idea in the world. 
  • edited July 25
    Chizz said:
    Woakes is 35 and wood is in his 30’s. What have the management actually learned about other players in this series.

I think it makes sense to test him over two, close-together Tests.  He got through one test ok, but to be a realistic Ashes selection, he should demonstrate he's able to bowl in consecutive Tests.  

There's more to be learned about Wood's robustness than there is about Woakes's ability to take wickets
    But with the ECB's moronic scheduling there's no red ball county cricket for any of them to tune up/stay fit before the Sri Lanka tests
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Chizz said:
    Woakes is 35 and wood is in his 30’s. What have the management actually learned about other players in this series.

There's more to be learned about Wood's robustness than there is about Woakes's ability to take wickets
    There's still plenty of red ball cricket for Woakes to play in the Championship to keep him fit for the winter tours
    But if you don’t play Woakes and the new guy does badly and Wood/Stokes pull up with injury your seam options are badly depleted 
  • fenaddick said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Chizz said:

There's still plenty of red ball cricket for Woakes to play in the Championship to keep him fit for the winter tours
    But if you don’t play Woakes and the new guy does badly and Wood/Stokes pull up with injury your seam options are badly depleted 
    Or the new guy could take five wickets on each innings
  • I’m not sure playing West Indies and Sri Lanka this summer is helping us in the slightest decide who to take Down Under for The Ashes next year. I think decisions will have to be mostly based on who’s fit and in form. Playing Pakistan away might not help too much later this year but they should provide tougher opposition.
  • Windies win the toss and bat.

Here's my prediction. 
    As long as we get a full day's play we will see England bat later.
  • England players should have their names and numbers embroidered on the backs of their jumpers. 

It seems bizarre that they wear shirts with their names on, but cover them up with sweaters. 

I'm not a fan of names on Test shirts. But it looks daft when half the players' names are covered up and half are visible. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    England players should have their names and numbers embroidered on the backs of their jumpers. 

It seems bizarre that they wear shirts with their names on, but cover them up with sweaters. 

I'm not a fan of names on Test shirts. But it looks daft when half the players' names are covered up and half are visible. 
    It's done to confuse the batsmen. 

By covering up their names the batsmen aren't sure if they are facing Wood or Bashir. 😉
  • McKenzie, up until this match, had managed just 13 runs in 4 innings in the Series. He's just scored 12 in 4 balls off Atkinson. 
  • Think that one is all mine!!!
  • Well it was looking like the Windies session but a great ball from Wood and an irresponsible shot from Athanaze on the last ball before lunch probably means we've edged it

97-3 off 26 overs 
  • 76 without loss
    To
    115 for 5.
    Colapso cricket 
  • 194-5 at tea. The pitch is now offering very little to the bowlers. 
  • 282 all out. I suspect that the Windies will be disappointed with that given that any number of their wickets might have been avoided

• Windies win the toss and bat.

Here's my prediction. 
    As long as we get a full day's play we will see England bat later.
    I called it before a ball was bowled.

Never in doubt. 
  • Bloody Crawley, it’s always him first out. FFS.
    In fairness, there's always a 50% probability...
  • Sponsored links:

Unfortunately there are no opening batsmen at the moment putting pressure on to be selected 
  • 38-3 at close. A poor response to date.
    Unfortunately there are no opening batsmen at the moment putting pressure on to be selected 
    Batting without a brain again. 3 good shots in the over and then that shot. If he can learn some restraint there is a very good player but unfortunately, we are seeing the pre 2023 version again
    He is, admittedly, playing in Div 2 but Emilio Gay (who went to Bedford School, the same as Alastair Cook) is perhaps one and has been in great form - 860 runs at an average of 61.42. Last season, in Div 1, he scored 589 runs at 34.64 but would have only been aged 23 at that time 
  • If you thought you'd ever had a bad day's cricket, check how the Zimbabwe wicketkeeper has gone today 
    One of the 3 wickets was "nightwatchman" Mark Wood so really only 2 down.....unless we are relying on the tail to get us out of trouble. 
    One of the 3 wickets was "nightwatchman" Mark Wood so really only 2 down.....unless we are relying on the tail to get us out of trouble. 
    It was more a reflection of how the two openers got out. We couldn't win the game in tonight's 8 overs but, in true Bazball style, both got out playing shots that meant we had to have Pope, a nightwatchman and Root in to face the music. For what? 29 runs? With 4 days to go.  
  • Face it, Golfie, you may have met your match
  • Chizz said:
    Face it, Golfie, you may have met your match
    There's no better stalker than you on here Chizz. Once you target someone it's relentless!
  • Chizz said:
    Face it, Golfie, you may have met your match
    There's no better stalker than you on here Chizz. Once you target someone it's relentless!
    He doesn't mind, really.