Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• So what’s the bets Crawley’s first out either for a duck or single figures!
    Just seen he’s been demoted.

🖕🏻Would have sent the info for you earlier but I was busy.
  • Another three day Test. The amount of revenue the ECB must be losing on ticket and hospitality income must be considerable. Surely they must be wishing for the days of Boycott and Tavare?
    Or decent opposition... 

That West Indies batting lineup is desperately weak and inexperienced, and with the poor state of domestic cricket over there, you can hardly blame West Indian cricketers for concentrating on white ball cricket and the T20 leagues.

What happened to Shai Hope? He scored centuries in both innings in the 2017 Headingley Test, and instead of going on to be a top Test batsman, hasn't scored a Test ton since, finishing in 2021 with an average of 25.

It's catch-22 killer.
    You need to play the best teams like England to gain experience.
    It was also a good opportunity for Atkinson and Smith  to start with the Windies and both took their chances.
  • edited July 30
    Matthew Mott steps down as white ball coach , Marcus Trescothick named as interim coach 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Matthew Mott steps down as white ball coach , Marcus Trescothick named as interim coach 
    The Aussie secret agent has done his job. 
  • Mott was woeful, his record makes him look totally out of his depth. Shame Morgan isn’t interested…
  • I fully expect Key to appoint his best mate Freddie ultimately. Completely left field appointment but that doesn't seem to bother Key. 
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Bashir c Holder (2nd slip) b A Joseph 5
    416 All Out
    Take into account how awful the WI fielding and catching were, that score's about 150 light of where England should have got to on an absolute road against moderate bowling.
    All too familiar story of bazball = freedom to toss your wicket away in the lamest possible fashion.  Zak got a decent ball, Bashir's a proper no.11, Pope can be excused but the rest of them tossed it away.
    WI's batting resources aren't too threatening but they'll be confident of avoiding the follow on and coasting into no worse than a draw with the expected rain interruptions to come.
    England's position at the bottom of the test championship is the true measure of the Stokes/McCullum "project."
    @Billy_Mix Do you regard England as the worst Test team in the world?
  • Chizz said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    416 All Out
    Take into account how awful the WI fielding and catching were, that score's about 150 light of where England should have got to on an absolute road against moderate bowling.
    All too familiar story of bazball = freedom to toss your wicket away in the lamest possible fashion.  Zak got a decent ball, Bashir's a proper no.11, Pope can be excused but the rest of them tossed it away.
    WI's batting resources aren't too threatening but they'll be confident of avoiding the follow on and coasting into no worse than a draw with the expected rain interruptions to come.
    England's position at the bottom of the test championship is the true measure of the Stokes/McCullum "project."
    By the criteria in the ICC's test championship England has been the worst side.
    The squad representing WI in this latest series is clearly substandard and their trajectory in red ball cricket is accelerating downward.
    England's current squad may keep its head above water in home series against Windies, Sri Lanka, Ireland and New Zealand but India and Australia won't be finding cause for concern.
  • What's this nonsense about worst Test team? England are currently ranked 3rd in the world
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/team-rankings/mens/test

I think people are getting confused between test rankings, and the test championship. The latter being distorted due to England having been deducted 19 points for slow over rates, and even then we're mid-table. Without the deductions we'd be in, surprise surprise, third place.
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/tournaments/world-test-championship/standings
  • What's this nonsense about worst Test team? England are currently ranked 3rd in the world

I think people are getting confused between test rankings, and the test championship. The latter being distorted due to England having been deducted 19 points for slow over rates, and even then we're mid-table. Without the deductions we'd be in, surprise surprise, third place.
    Slow over rates should be punished on the same day on the pitch. The public is being conned day by day paying good money & not seeing 90 overs. Not once in the last test were 90 overs bowled on the day. I dont think they were either in the 1st 2 tests. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy_Mix said:
    Chizz said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    416 All Out
    By the criteria in the ICC's test championship England has been the worst side.
    The squad representing WI in this latest series is clearly substandard and their trajectory in red ball cricket is accelerating downward.
    England's current squad may keep its head above water in home series against Windies, Sri Lanka, Ireland and New Zealand but India and Australia won't be finding cause for concern.
    Do you regard England as the worst team in the world though?

Slow over rates should be punished on the same day on the pitch. The public is being conned day by day paying good money & not seeing 90 overs. Not once in the last test were 90 overs bowled on the day. I dont think they were either in the 1st 2 tests. 
    How do you think slow over rates should be punished?  Or even mitigated? 

My (crude) solution would be to change the "requirement" from 90 overs per day to 30 overs per session, but with the added proviso that sessions are extended until 30 overs are bowled (but the session break (ie lunch or tea) isn't pushed back.  That way, a bowling side has to complete 30 overs until it gets the respite of a lunch break (which may be shortened if they are unable to complete 30 overs in two hours; and another 30 both before and after Tea. 
  • 10 runs for every over not completed would soon solve the problem.
  • 10 runs for every over not completed would soon solve the problem.
    That would encourage - and, in fact, reward - batting teams for slowing the game down. Imagine how many glove changes, impromptu drinks breaks and pulled muscles the batting team would magic up from 5:30 if they could see an extra ten runs before the close would prevent them having to follow on, for example
  • Chizz said:
    10 runs for every over not completed would soon solve the problem.
    That would encourage - and, in fact, reward - batting teams for slowing the game down. Imagine how many glove changes, impromptu drinks breaks and pulled muscles the batting team would magic up from 5:30 if they could see an extra ten runs before the close would prevent them having to follow on, for example
    Easy, penalise them 10 runs an over too.

There we go, all sorted.  I should work for the ICC or something.
  • Only one set of field changes per over (unless when RHB/LHB switch strike)
  • Chizz said:

How about... the side batting first gets a 900 run start, and that's reduced by ten runs every time they face an over? 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

How about... the side batting first gets a 900 run start, and that's reduced by ten runs every time they face an over? 
    Everythin's coming up Bazball....
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Come on Chizz, need some flesh on the bones of this ideas, as if you bowl the oppo out for 100 in say 30 overs their score is:

900 - 300 (for the overs bowled) + 100 runs scored = 700

you then bat, score 400 off of 90 overs and end up with a score of 400
  • MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Come on Chizz, need some flesh on the bones of this ideas, as if you bowl the oppo out for 100 in say 30 overs their score is:

Apologies to you and to anyone else who took my suggestion in any way seriously
  • Sponsored links:

• How is Zak Crawley doing?......a friend's kid......but sadly Millwall fans
  • Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Apologies to you and to anyone else who took my suggestion in any way seriously
    I was just playing along 
  • ct_addick said:
    How is Zak Crawley doing?......a friend's kid......but sadly Millwall fans
    Zak is Charlton apparently although the family in general are Millwall so I've been told.

As for his cricket for Kent he is like the little girl in the nursery rhyme: When he is good he is very,very good but ehen he is bad he is horrid.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I fully expect Key to appoint his best mate Freddie ultimately. Completely left field appointment but that doesn't seem to bother Key. 

Robert Key and Andrew Flintoff are best mates ?
    Not a lot of people know that.

I would've thought that Flintoff was a good fit if cricket has now got his 100% attention after his accident.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I fully expect Key to appoint his best mate Freddie ultimately. Completely left field appointment but that doesn't seem to bother Key. 

Robert Key and Andrew Flintoff are best mates ?
    Not a lot of people know that.

I would've thought that Flintoff was a good fit if cricket has now got his 100% attention after his accident.

I think this spell of him coaching in The Hundred is essentially an audition for the England job , whether or not it's this time or the next time the job comes up. 
  • The friendship between Key and Flintoff (along with Harmison) goes back over 25 years from the time they were in the England U19s together. Flintoff wasn't exactly a great success as England captain and I would like to see more evidence of his leadership skills before making him England coach.

I would have thought that what Jonathan Trott has done with Afghanistan (contract expires in December) is a major tick. Prior to him taking over they had won just one match in an ICC tournament - both 50-over and T20 - before beating Australia, England, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh in the last nine months across the 2023 ODI and 2024 T20I World Cups. They made it through to the semi-finals of the latter, losing to South Africa. 
  • The friendship between Key and Flintoff (along with Harmison) goes back over 25 years from the time they were in the England U19s together. Flintoff wasn't exactly a great success as England captain and I would like to see more evidence of his leadership skills before making him England coach.

I would have thought that what Jonathan Trott has done with Afghanistan (contract expires in December) is a major tick. Prior to him taking over they had won just one match in an ICC tournament - both 50-over and T20 - before beating Australia, England, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh in the last nine months across the 2023 ODI and 2024 T20I World Cups. They made it through to the semi-finals of the latter, losing to South Africa. 
    Couldn't agree more 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cp3807gmx6vo

Steven Finn in this article supports Trott too.

And did it playing decent attacking cricket too.

I think he'd be a very good shout too.
  • Who gets the credit for promoting talents like Bashir, Atkinson and Jamie Smith into the England team above others who appeared to be ahead of them ?

Bashir and Smith leapfrogged into the team and Atkinson was the bowler with pace who was worth trying out with the retirement of Anderson and Broad and the injury issues of Wood and Archer.
    Was this a Key Decision?