Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Chizz said:
    It's ridiculous that a player is forced to play in an ECB match. There's the risk that he might get injured. It's totally the ECB's fault when a player playing in one of their matches gets injured. Totally. They should feel ashamed of themselves. 

I mean, why would they ask a cricketer to play cricket? Can't they see how dangerous and risky it is?

We're now having to go into a Test series with Sri Lanka with a player missing, because he got injured playing cricket. Let's hope his injury heals in time for this winter's tours. Because broken fingers can take a long to to fix properly. 
    What would your view be if Lloyd jones got injured playing against Bromley in the pizza cup? Is it a case of a footballer playing football or should he be rested for cup games?
    I don't think it's a great analogy. But, since you've asked, professional sportsmen and women get injured. It's literally an occupational hazard. So, my first reaction would be to be disappointed that he's injured; my second would be to consider who might fill his place in the next match; my third would be to wait and wonder how long he'd be likely to be out for; my fifth night be to consider whether it would have been better for him to miss the Bromley game, at the risk that he might get injured during the following game, thereby causing bigger problems. And then several more reactions, the last being to wonder how much blame could be attached to the ECB. 

I know that others would have a different order of reactions. 

Somewhere along the line, though, I'd know that sportsmen get injured and, as we Charlton fans know, it's not just during matches. 
  • Never mind next week's test, I think Stokes could well be out for the entire summer

I hope it's not as bad as it looks
    Sounds like a Miles Leaburn type injury...
  • edited August 12
    Never mind next week's test, I think Stokes could well be out for the entire summer

I hope it's not as bad as it looks
    Sounds like a Miles Leaburn type injury...
    & given his age, will be harder to recover from

Hopefully the injury is not as serious as I fear 
  • If the hundred didnt exist and the Blast had the priority spot in August the ECB released their players to play in it and Stokes got injured turning out for Durham would people be as bothered?
  • If the hundred didnt exist and the Blast had the priority spot in August the ECB released their players to play in it and Stokes got injured turning out for Durham would people be as bothered?
    Yes. Most people. 
  • Stokes out for the rest of the summer 
  • Ouch 

Much as I dislike the Hundred, it's a bit unfair to blame it for the injury in this situation, unless England cricketers aren't allowed to play ANY cricket outside the England team (including county cricket) during the summer.
  • Presumably Pope will captain as the current VC
  • edited August 13
    Looks like Pope as vice captain will take the reins. Sounds as if there’s no appetite to call up anyone else either. The sensible move might’ve been to move Lawrence to six but they seem intent on having him open.

Next question is does Woakes bat at six and we take the extra bowler? Or does Cox get his debut?
  • Pope seems like a bit of a personality vacuum. Brook feels much more like a leader
  • Sponsored links:

• We've lost or dropped a lot of senior players in the last year, Broad, Anderson , Bairstow, Leach, Flakes. Pope feels like the last seniorish player left, unless we go back to Root.
  • edited August 13
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    It's ridiculous that a player is forced to play in an ECB match. There's the risk that he might get injured. It's totally the ECB's fault when a player playing in one of their matches gets injured. Totally. They should feel ashamed of themselves. 

I mean, why would they ask a cricketer to play cricket? Can't they see how dangerous and risky it is?

We're now having to go into a Test series with Sri Lanka with a player missing, because he got injured playing cricket. Let's hope his injury heals in time for this winter's tours. Because broken fingers can take a long to to fix properly. 
    What would your view be if Lloyd jones got injured playing against Bromley in the pizza cup? Is it a case of a footballer playing football or should he be rested for cup games?
    I don't think it's a great analogy. But, since you've asked, professional sportsmen and women get injured. It's literally an occupational hazard. So, my first reaction would be to be disappointed that he's injured; my second would be to consider who might fill his place in the next match; my third would be to wait and wonder how long he'd be likely to be out for; my fifth night be to consider whether it would have been better for him to miss the Bromley game, at the risk that he might get injured during the following game, thereby causing bigger problems. And then several more reactions, the last being to wonder how much blame could be attached to the ECB. 

Somewhere along the line, though, I'd know that sportsmen get injured and, as we Charlton fans know, it's not just during matches. 
    A more realistic analogy would be for the Football Association to contractually oblige the England captain, who recently came back from a serious injury, to play in the Carabao Cup for the FA's franchise team. A week before an international. Only for him to sustain another injury in that match.

The implications in the case of Stokes, isn't just for him or the England team but for those that have paid serious money to watch him represent his country over the course of up to 15 days in 3 Tests where he would have had an opportunity with both bat and ball to entertain those paying a lot of money to see him. All for what? 4 runs and 0-49 in 3 matches. 

Training sessions are managed. Matches cannot be simply because every sinew is stretched in a competitive environment. That is why the ECB dictate if and when their contracted players can play for their counties - and that is usually only for match fitness and to for the purpose of finding form. That is a necessity and is managed. Bowlers and seamers especially are treated differently to batters. Yes Stokes did it batting but with his frail body, he was even more likely to injure himself with the ball. He's the only one of the five seamers used in the recent series against the West Indies to play in the Hundred.

Stokes retired from international white ball cricket and could not be persuaded to play in the T20 WC because he wanted to have that much needed operation and regain full fitness. Had this been the Vitality Blast, with Stokes' history of injury and recent workload and having not bowled to that extent for years, there is no way on earth that the ECB would have sanctioned him playing this close to another Test series as evidenced by the fact that he has not played in the Blast for over three years and has only made eight appearances in that competition in the last eight years. Stokes does not do domestic competitions unless he really has to. Just three CC matches in the last two years and they were at the beginning of this season to get him match fit for the international summer.   

So why was the 33 year old made to do play? Because, of course, the flagging Hundred has to be made attractive to the public by having England's superhero play. Someone at the ECB then, amazingly, had a "lightbulb moment" and immediately pulled out both Chris Woakes and Jofra Archer, having previously announced that they would both be partaking this week, to protect them from injury. As I've said already, the phrase "horse and bolted" springs to mind. 
  • edited August 14
    I'm not sure Atkinson deserves to keep his place, following his ridiculous haircut.

Although, like wearing pink football boots, you have to play very, very well to pull it off. 
  • Or play well.
  • edited August 14
    Any idea who are broadcasting England's visits to Pakistan & New Zealand this winter ? 

I'm thinking of switching TNT sports from my Sky package but have a feeling they could be showing England's trips abroad. 

Tried googling but to no avail. 
  • Any idea who are broadcasting England's visits to Pakistan & New Zealand this winter ? 

I'm thinking of switching TNT sports from my Sky package but have a feeling they could be showing England's trips abroad. 

Tried googling but to no avail. 
    I thought it was TNT but can’t find any info on that. Most packages are bought really late nowadays by the broadcasters. 
  • If Stokes doesn't make it then could it be a Jordan Cox debut ?

By all accounts he has been practising his seam up bowling. Ignoring that, it would mean our bowling is, once again, one short in which case we might not play him and see Smith move to 6 and Woakes to 7 - albeit that we would have quite a tail. There really aren't many authentic all rounders around.
    England have opted to move Smith and Woakes up one and bring Potts in as the extra seamer:

Dan Lawrence, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope (captain), Joe Root, Harry Brook (vice-captain), Jamie Smith (wicketkeeper), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Matthew Potts, Mark Wood and Shoaib Bashir
  • If Stokes doesn't make it then could it be a Jordan Cox debut ?

By all accounts he has been practising his seam up bowling. Ignoring that, it would mean our bowling is, once again, one short in which case we might not play him and see Smith move to 6 and Woakes to 7 - albeit that we would have quite a tail. There really aren't many authentic all rounders around.
    England have opted to move Smith and Woakes up one and bring Potts in as the extra seamer:

Dan Lawrence, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope (captain), Joe Root, Harry Brook (vice-captain), Jamie Smith (wicketkeeper), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Matthew Potts, Mark Wood and Shoaib Bashir
    Interesting decision to replace the allrounder with a bowler rather than a batsman. 
  • Leuth said:
    Pope seems like a bit of a personality vacuum. Brook feels much more like a leader
    Always felt like a VC pick to help him come out of his shell. I'd be very surprised to see him ever made full captain when Stokes packs it in.
  • Great planning by the ECB. 5 day test match starting on Wednesday & due to finish Sunday. 

Monday is a Bank Holiday. 

Why not start it on the usual Thursday instead 🤷‍♂️. I realise they have back to back tests but why not start them all a day later. 

I also realise that lately England's test matches haven't been going the full 5 days. But with it being late August & the weather not always the best this time of year it doesnt take a genius to work out that with a day or 2 of rain then the match could easily go into the 5th day. 

• Sponsored links:

• Will Stokes be there as a coach/mentor/back seat driver, or will he stay away?
  • Will Stokes be there as a coach/mentor/back seat driver, or will he stay away?

He's reported with the squad anyway despite being injured so he'll be around. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

A more realistic analogy would be for the Football Association to contractually oblige the England captain, who recently came back from a serious injury, to play in the Carabao Cup for the FA's franchise team. A week before an international. Only for him to sustain another injury in that match.

The implications in the case of Stokes, isn't just for him or the England team but for those that have paid serious money to watch him represent his country over the course of up to 15 days in 3 Tests where he would have had an opportunity with both bat and ball to entertain those paying a lot of money to see him. All for what? 4 runs and 0-49 in 3 matches. 

Training sessions are managed. Matches cannot be simply because every sinew is stretched in a competitive environment. That is why the ECB dictate if and when their contracted players can play for their counties - and that is usually only for match fitness and to for the purpose of finding form. That is a necessity and is managed. Bowlers and seamers especially are treated differently to batters. Yes Stokes did it batting but with his frail body, he was even more likely to injure himself with the ball. He's the only one of the five seamers used in the recent series against the West Indies to play in the Hundred.

Stokes retired from international white ball cricket and could not be persuaded to play in the T20 WC because he wanted to have that much needed operation and regain full fitness. Had this been the Vitality Blast, with Stokes' history of injury and recent workload and having not bowled to that extent for years, there is no way on earth that the ECB would have sanctioned him playing this close to another Test series as evidenced by the fact that he has not played in the Blast for over three years and has only made eight appearances in that competition in the last eight years. Stokes does not do domestic competitions unless he really has to. Just three CC matches in the last two years and they were at the beginning of this season to get him match fit for the international summer.   

So why was the 33 year old made to do play? Because, of course, the flagging Hundred has to be made attractive to the public by having England's superhero play. Someone at the ECB then, amazingly, had a "lightbulb moment" and immediately pulled out both Chris Woakes and Jofra Archer, having previously announced that they would both be partaking this week, to protect them from injury. As I've said already, the phrase "horse and bolted" springs to mind. 
    If he had pinged his hamstring in a second XI game at Jesmond that would be ok, in your world. 
  • Great planning by the ECB. 5 day test match starting on Wednesday & due to finish Sunday. 

Monday is a Bank Holiday. 

Why not start it on the usual Thursday instead 🤷‍♂️. I realise they have back to back tests but why not start them all a day later. 

I also realise that lately England's test matches haven't been going the full 5 days. But with it being late August & the weather not always the best this time of year it doesnt take a genius to work out that with a day or 2 of rain then the match could easily go into the 5th day. 

Based on the average length of a test match these days, start it in the Saturday and it will be done and dusted by work on Tuesday 
  • I honestly believe another opener has not been selected to guarantee Crawley’s return. If they picked a genuine opening bat, and he performs well, crawley’s route into the side is tough.

Key protecting his protégé 
  • 7 is bloody high for Woakes. Plenty of bowling options as a balance I guess. 
  • edited August 19
    Rothko said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

If he had pinged his hamstring in a second XI game at Jesmond that would be ok, in your world. 

The last time that Stokes played a 2nd XI game was over 10 years ago on 10th June 2014 so I'm not sure that argument really holds. The only reason he would be doing so is to get match fit. The same reason Stokes played three CC matches for Durham following his knee op. He wasn't playing in The Hundred for match fitness. The same reason he hasn't played a Blast game for Durham for three years and only eight games in eight years in total. 

Unfortunately, it means that those that pay hundreds of pounds to watch the England captain play, including those that would like their kids see him making a meaningful contribution to a game of Test cricket, won't be doing so. He was playing to appease the ECB who are desperate to sell off the Hundred franchises so much so that, despite a minority 49% stake, the new owners will be allowed to re-name the franchises. The Ambani family which owns Mumbai Indians already own teams in three other T20 leagues – MI Cape Town, MI New York and MI Emirates – and buying into the Hundred franchise based at Lord’s is their next target with the proposal that they become MI London. 

That's in my world and the world of reality. But if you feel that any of what I've said isn't factually correct please do tell me which part is wrong.    
  • Rothko said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

The last time that Stokes played a 2nd XI game was over 10 years ago on 10th June 2014 so I'm not sure that argument really holds. The only reason he would be doing so is to get match fit. The same reason Stokes played three CC matches for Durham following his knee op. He wasn't playing in The Hundred for match fitness. The same reason he hasn't played a Blast game for Durham for three years and only eight games in eight years in total. 

Unfortunately, it means that those that pay hundreds of pounds to watch the England captain play, including those that would like their kids see him making a meaningful contribution to a game of Test cricket, won't be doing so. He was playing to appease the ECB who are desperate to sell off the Hundred franchises so much so that, despite a minority 49% stake, the new owners will be allowed to re-name the franchises. The Ambani family which owns Mumbai Indians already own teams in three other T20 leagues – MI Cape Town, MI New York and MI Emirates – and buying into the Hundred franchise based at Lord’s is their next target with the proposal that they become MI London. 

That's in my world and the world of reality. But if you feel that any of what I've said isn't factually correct please do tell me which part is wrong.    
    The owner of the Delhi Capitals have already bought Hampshire So the counties aren’t exempt either. 

I wonder / worry that this may be the only way for the smaller counties to continue, by changing from a member only model to a privately owned model. 

• edited August 19
    CHG said:
    7 is bloody high for Woakes. Plenty of bowling options as a balance I guess. 
    In England Woakes is more than good enough for 7. His record is excellent at home. It's what's below him that worries me. No real 8 or 9. The rest are 10s at best.
  • Atkinson averages 20 in the county championship, so would be a reasonable 9. He'll bat 8 I assume though.