Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Friday 29th December 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Regarding bad decison making by the players. I see them game in, game out having a 50/50 choice whether to run with the ball or pass, whether to play it left or play it right, whether to clear it upfield or pass it out of defence, whether to turn and go round an opponent or send it into row z, even whether to shoot or pass. Now I don't know the actual stats, but it feels like in the final third, they make the wrong decision 90% of the time. In defensive positions it's better - I'd say they get it right 60-70% of the time. 

Do the coaching team play the matches back and point out these errors and encourage the players to alter their mindset? Because it doesn't look like it. 
  • Bedsaddick said:Definitely not who we want then. 
    Brown59 said:
    Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
    I'm friends with a few Peterborough fans and all say they will drive him to The Valley themselves. They think he's lazy and has a bad attitude and hasn't got in the side for weeks now. Not exactly the kind of player we need. 

• Appleton is a complete numpty continuing with the same formation & playing May wide.

Cant be arsed to turn up anymore if the players, manager and owners can’t be arsed to do the right thing.

Another season of crap.
    Perhaps Appleton is told that he has to play this formation?

With reliance on too much youth and key players missing, it's otherwise strange that he wouldn't change it?

• Oggy Red said:
    Appleton is a complete numpty continuing with the same formation & playing May wide.

Cant be arsed to turn up anymore if the players, manager and owners can’t be arsed to do the right thing.

Another season of crap.
    Perhaps Appleton is told that he has to play this formation?

With reliance on too much youth and key players missing, it's otherwise strange that he wouldn't change it?

He’s played 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for pretty much the whole of his managerial career. He’s just stubborn and one-dimensional 
  • Not trying to defend (same as our players) them, but how far offside was Martin...
    How in the name of God does the linesman not see that? 
    Watch the video, linesman must be 10 yards behind the line of play so was not in a position to see it.
  • Not trying to defend (same as our players) them, but how far offside was Martin...
    Didn’t think it was off at all. Being played on by Anderson I think it was. 
  • edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    LouisMend said:
    Appleton says “He’s scored a lot of goals playing on the right-hand side”

That’s a load of bollocks. He’s scored 2 league goals from open play as a right winger, one at Pompey and another at home to Cambridge 

He’s scored 2 as a lone striker (Oxford and Fleetwood), scored 7 playing centrally as a 10/second striker and then 4 penalties 
    Comes across very arrogant in these interviews imo. You'd think 2 wins in 11 matches would have humbled him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Usual drills 

Started with some energy but no guile at all. That soon faded as when we inevitably dont score a couple of goals to have something to show for any passages of play like that. 

Sides dont even have to be mega physical to physically dominate us and collectively we have no arsehole at all about us to show even a half arsed desire to compete. As ever any ball into the penalty area of God forbid the 6 yard box is defended at best sporadically. 

As soon as Chris Martin was bought on I rolled my eyes knowing he would old man our centre halves and should have backed him to score. 

It ain't just a patch up needed in January we need 7 or 8 senior first team signings who can hit the ground running and are physically robust, one of whom needs to be the type of player about 90% of the sides in the leagues are after, a big, strong centre forward who can occupy centre halves and hold the ball. Which means they will all cost money which will show us all how serious the latest owners of the name charlton athletic are 

I think we will get a couple of loans and a bigger name faded pro who has been without a club for months who will need until March to get match fit and probably end up getting a six month long injury a couple of weeks and 20 minute cameos in. 

@oohaahmortimer has it right, beige vanilla fanny of a club right now 

• Brown59 said:
    Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
    I'm friends with a few Peterborough fans and all say they will drive him to The Valley themselves. They think he's lazy and has a bad attitude and hasn't got in the side for weeks now. Not exactly the kind of player we need. 
    Scored twice last night?
    First time he's started in a while. 
  • Carter said:
    Usual drills 

Started with some energy but no guile at all. That soon faded as when we inevitably dont score a couple of goals to have something to show for any passages of play like that. 

Sides dont even have to be mega physical to physically dominate us and collectively we have no arsehole at all about us to show even a half arsed desire to compete. As ever any ball into the penalty area of God forbid the 6 yard box is defended at best sporadically. 

As soon as Chris Martin was bought on I rolled my eyes knowing he would old man our centre halves and should have backed him to score. 

It ain't just a patch up needed in January we need 7 or 8 senior first team signings who can hit the ground running and are physically robust, one of whom needs to be the type of player about 90% of the sides in the leagues are after, a big, strong centre forward who can occupy centre halves and hold the ball. Which means they will all cost money which will show us all how serious the latest owners of the name charlton athletic are 

I think we will get a couple of loans and a bigger name faded pro who has been without a club for months who will need until March to get match fit and probably end up getting a six month long injury a couple of weeks and 20 minute cameos in. 

@oohaahmortimer has it right, beige vanilla fanny of a club right now 

Even if we did,just like the faded pro, he'll get an injury that keeps him out for four months before the second game is out... 
  • Brown59 said:
    Maddison mk2 then.
  • Brown59 said:
    Bedsaddick said:Definitely not who we want then. 
    Brown59 said:

I'm pretty sure it's Derby who are the other club who are after him , so he'll probably go there anyway if he has any sense. 
  • edited December 2023
    LouisMend said:
    Apart from where he literally explains, when asked, why he plays him out wide. Bizarre comment. 
    No, he says he's scored a lot of goals out wide AND a lot of goals as a 10. 

As a pp says above, he has only scored TWO goals from out wide.

Do you, as a journalist, have these stats to hand when managers state things ? Did you not reply to say "but only 2 of his goals have come from playing out wide - have you thought it might be time for a change ?" 

He basically gave you a crap answer & you took it.

• Muttley CAFC - brilliant post. Think your summary is spot on
  • Brown59 said:
    Scored twice last night?
    Congratulations. 
    I can only manage once a night. 

• Sponsored links:

• The fatigue would not have been helped with Apples playing a full team in the most Mickey mouse of all competitions that is the Pizza Cup.

All players in CBT and Dobbies position say "I want to stay, it is up to the club", it's a standard line. 

But they both likely know the club probably cannot afford to pay the amount they are after (certainly it seems based on contracts offered to date) and so they will leave.  No one's fault, it's just football.

• I was going to go to the Oxford game. Not now. I can't stand watching this shower of shite any more . Why should i make the effort when the players or manager won't.  Every game is a carbon copy of the last one . It's like watching groundhog day.  

Just go to Oxford but skip the game, nice city for a good day out.
  • I was going to go to the Oxford game. Not now. I can't stand watching this shower of shite any more . Why should i make the effort when the players or manager won't.  Every game is a carbon copy of the last one . It's like watching groundhog day.  

We're at home?
  • cabbles said:
    One of the most absurd things I keep reading is the fact we miss Aneke.  I understand why, but his fitness is about as consistent as Hayley’s comet.  The fact we still have players and fans referencing this as if next time he’s fit we’ll be okay is quite simply astounding. 

It’s almost as if they/we believe that when he’s back, all will be okay 
    of course we miss Chuks, or another player like him. He is the only one we have that can play in that target man, receive, hold and distribute forward role.  He takes out two defenders just by being there what’s dumb is if he’s playing the ball goes in at feet level, making it easier to control and difficult for the defenders, when he’s not playing the ball goes in high giving May, Leaburn, Kanu or whoever no chance of receiving or holding the ball and making it easier for the defenders. 
  • Croydon said:
    I was going to go to the Oxford game. Not now. I can't stand watching this shower of shite any more . Why should i make the effort when the players or manager won't.  Every game is a carbon copy of the last one . It's like watching groundhog day.  

We're at home?
    We can still go to Oxford if you want though.
    Didn’t think it was off at all. Being played on by Anderson I think it was. 
    Agree. Doesn’t even look close to being offside 
  • The fatigue would not have been helped with Apples playing a full team in the most Mickey mouse of all competitions that is the Pizza Cup.

All players in CBT and Dobbies position say "I want to stay, it is up to the club", it's a standard line. 

But they both likely know the club probably cannot afford to pay the amount they are after (certainly it seems based on contracts offered to date) and so they will leave.  No one's fault, it's just football.

They are tired, if they are, because they are not fit enough. 
    You can even argue the start of the rot was resting first team players at home to Cray Valley. Not winning that led serious doubts.  
    And also, apart from Leaburn, the other 13 academy boys around the first team squad aren’t good enough. (Yet? But statistically you are only going to have two or so to come through each season).
  • Don't care if the team has youngsters or wise old heads. As the old saying goes, "of you're good enough, you're old enough.."

Too many of our players are technically not good enough or not fit enough, or not strong enough (physically or mentally). As has been said to death, this season, League One is a very low standard, hence our league position is even more concerning, especially when we consider that two teams have been docked points.

Scott says he will take responsibility for any failures. What does that mean in management speak?

If our budget is not the issue, it is definately the transfer decision making that is. 
  • Fatigue may be a factor (one of many!) but usually over the festive period managers rotate the players maybe even adapting the formation at the same time. Appleton has done neither.
    That aside continuing poor performance and results would bring about some change.
    This numpty hasn’t seen fit to do that either. 
    As soon as the manager placed so much importance on the upcoming transfer window it seemingly gave the players and him a get out of jail free card.
    He now uses it as an excuse following every game. He also appears to be watching a different game to the rest of us and in his eyes mediocre is the new good and acceptable.
    Appleton’s biggest offence is not playing Louie Watson. Why no one ever asks him to explain that as we slide down table is just as big a mystery.
    The manager seems unable to inspire or motivate, is devoid of passion and is tactically inept.
    Quite simply he must go before matters get even worse.