Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Friday 29th December 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• He’s then inexplicably played sone youngsters I’d never heard of whilst dropping some of our better players and playing others out of position to accommodate a winger who has downed tools and is off - rank bad management 
  • Going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks but we definitely need a real change up in the the team 
    We can't just keep going down this road of just about existing in this league 
    Coming home last night was absolutely depressing & nearly everyone I spoke to after the game has had enough 
    Hate to think what the turn out will be next home game if the club doesn't act to make a real change to the whole structure of our club 
    As that's what's needed & they have got to be able to see this 
    It's almost like they don't want to for some strange reason 
    Let's hope they pull their fingers out & look to rebuild the team & a decent manager has got to be first on the list 

• Those players aren’t sleeping for a week , they’ll be peering out from behind their curtains each night wondering if that fruitbat is out there 
    I needed answers mate. They can expect to see me again on Monday if we concede late again 😂

Deffo the weirdest thing I've done as a fan, no doubt in my mind.
    I don't think it's weird, fair play to you.
  • the only thing we’ve all got to look forward to is a relegation battle with this clown in charge next 6 games lucky to get 6 points me think.🙁
  • While my video renders, I felt the need to share some of the conversations I had tonight with CAFC staff and players. Fair warning, this might be GrapeVine sized post..

Like a proper CAFC stalker, I waited outside the ground with other fans, I was in no rush to get home and figured I'd ask the players and manager what on earth is going wrong for myself, nothing toxic, just an honest conversation. I spoke with; Stephen Henderson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Alfie May, George Dobson and Michael Appleton. 

First of all, Hendo confirmed to me that Fraeye did actually sneak out in a laundry basket, or at least was happy to play along with the joke. I had an honest chat with him, said I am sick of Charlton being shit being blunt and that I am deeply concerned we have dodgy people in charge again. He said he can't speak for them (obviously) he did however say, that Appleton is the man for the job and we need to back him. I asked why he thinks that and he simply said he's a good bloke and knows what he's doing. He put our bad form down to lack of experienced pros and fatigue..

CBT was the next player I had a chat with, asked him more or less the same thing, he confidently told me that Appleton is a good coach and they are struggling only because of players. He said in particular he is really missing Chuks and Leaburn and how hard it is to play without a physical striker near him. I asked him what's the deal with him staying here, in his own words (I can't remember the exact wording) he wants to stay here, loves it at Charlton, he is personally willing to sign but he said it's up to the club. He didn't say he would sign, but he did shake my hand and looked me dead in the eyes and said he hopes he ends up with a contract here. 

I then spoke with Alf, who was carrying a knock which is why he was hooked. Everyone saw him limping, he didn't say it was serious but just a precaution. He is a proper lovely bloke, really chatty. He also like Hendo and CBT said they are really struggling with lack of personnel.

Next up was Appleton himself. Now I'll be honest, I didn't berate him cause I thought it would be odd (odd enough I waited to speak to them tbh) but I did ask him a few 'challenging questions' and so did the other people I was with. He was adamant we played well tonight, one of the lads I was with disagreed and said we didn't and can't see what he's trying to do. He simply put it down to inexperience and lack of pros. Says the team has too much youth and they're really struggling. He was pretty damning about the situation in the sense he firmly believes he hasn't the right tools. I basically cut to the chase and said regardless of if he manages or not, it's groundhog day, the bottom line is, are you being backed by the board? He said that he has been told there will be signings and he took the job with that being clear. He wouldn't say the exact budget but said there's backing. At this point I just said fair play for talking to us. As I went to walk away Henderson came over and it got a bit bizarre. Hendo basically interrupted the conversation and asked one of the lads 'if Appleton goes like you're saying he might, then what? because how many managers has it been now?' Appleton then chimed in with 'I've seen ridiculous suggestions like Curbs? like come on, you need to move on'. Stressed again he needs time and bodies. Henderson seemed really protective of him to be honest, spoke with a lot of conviction that he is the man and seemed really annoyed at how he was boo'd off etc. Anyway that was pretty much that.

Finally I spoke to Dobson, who I asked the similar questions, he said, as you expect that it's fatigue and a lack of experience. Says they're struggling. All of them said they were happy with Appleton (I didn't expect a different answer) and that the lack of experience is really costing them. Finally I said to Dobson the same as CBT, contract situation. He like CBT, said he wants to stay, he likes it here, if the club can offer him the right deal he will stay. Like CBT I made him shake on it (can't go back on a gentlemans handshake) and tbf they both seemed pretty convincing. 

If I am completely honest, speaking to them so openly made me feel different travelling home, I wasn't as angry anymore as they genuinely seemed really deflated. My concern is now, how they react if Appleton goes, they all seemed to genuinely like him and as much as I've slandered Appleton, credit where credit is due, he answered every question chucked at him and kept his cool. I am still of the belief he isn't the man because I can't see a playstyle, but I have come to terms with that he really is just a quiet bloke. I was genuinely quite stunned at how mellow he comes across. 

Not sure what to make of it all tbh. Thought it was worth sharing though, also yes I know I am a stalker for waiting for them

Well done braziliance - however the 2 questions i woukd  have asked  all of them is do they think we would be playing better with 2 up top and shy did he drop Louis Watson - they are the 2 main things that are his fault
  • edited December 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    While my video renders, I felt the need to share some of the conversations I had tonight with CAFC staff and players. Fair warning, this might be GrapeVine sized post..

Like a proper CAFC stalker, I waited outside the ground with other fans, I was in no rush to get home and figured I'd ask the players and manager what on earth is going wrong for myself, nothing toxic, just an honest conversation. I spoke with; Stephen Henderson, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Alfie May, George Dobson and Michael Appleton. 

First of all, Hendo confirmed to me that Fraeye did actually sneak out in a laundry basket, or at least was happy to play along with the joke. I had an honest chat with him, said I am sick of Charlton being shit being blunt and that I am deeply concerned we have dodgy people in charge again. He said he can't speak for them (obviously) he did however say, that Appleton is the man for the job and we need to back him. I asked why he thinks that and he simply said he's a good bloke and knows what he's doing. He put our bad form down to lack of experienced pros and fatigue..

CBT was the next player I had a chat with, asked him more or less the same thing, he confidently told me that Appleton is a good coach and they are struggling only because of players. He said in particular he is really missing Chuks and Leaburn and how hard it is to play without a physical striker near him. I asked him what's the deal with him staying here, in his own words (I can't remember the exact wording) he wants to stay here, loves it at Charlton, he is personally willing to sign but he said it's up to the club. He didn't say he would sign, but he did shake my hand and looked me dead in the eyes and said he hopes he ends up with a contract here. 

I then spoke with Alf, who was carrying a knock which is why he was hooked. Everyone saw him limping, he didn't say it was serious but just a precaution. He is a proper lovely bloke, really chatty. He also like Hendo and CBT said they are really struggling with lack of personnel.

Next up was Appleton himself. Now I'll be honest, I didn't berate him cause I thought it would be odd (odd enough I waited to speak to them tbh) but I did ask him a few 'challenging questions' and so did the other people I was with. He was adamant we played well tonight, one of the lads I was with disagreed and said we didn't and can't see what he's trying to do. He simply put it down to inexperience and lack of pros. Says the team has too much youth and they're really struggling. He was pretty damning about the situation in the sense he firmly believes he hasn't the right tools. I basically cut to the chase and said regardless of if he manages or not, it's groundhog day, the bottom line is, are you being backed by the board? He said that he has been told there will be signings and he took the job with that being clear. He wouldn't say the exact budget but said there's backing. At this point I just said fair play for talking to us. As I went to walk away Henderson came over and it got a bit bizarre. Hendo basically interrupted the conversation and asked one of the lads 'if Appleton goes like you're saying he might, then what? because how many managers has it been now?' Appleton then chimed in with 'I've seen ridiculous suggestions like Curbs? like come on, you need to move on'. Stressed again he needs time and bodies. Henderson seemed really protective of him to be honest, spoke with a lot of conviction that he is the man and seemed really annoyed at how he was boo'd off etc. Anyway that was pretty much that.

Finally I spoke to Dobson, who I asked the similar questions, he said, as you expect that it's fatigue and a lack of experience. Says they're struggling. All of them said they were happy with Appleton (I didn't expect a different answer) and that the lack of experience is really costing them. Finally I said to Dobson the same as CBT, contract situation. He like CBT, said he wants to stay, he likes it here, if the club can offer him the right deal he will stay. Like CBT I made him shake on it (can't go back on a gentlemans handshake) and tbf they both seemed pretty convincing. 

If I am completely honest, speaking to them so openly made me feel different travelling home, I wasn't as angry anymore as they genuinely seemed really deflated. My concern is now, how they react if Appleton goes, they all seemed to genuinely like him and as much as I've slandered Appleton, credit where credit is due, he answered every question chucked at him and kept his cool. I am still of the belief he isn't the man because I can't see a playstyle, but I have come to terms with that he really is just a quiet bloke. I was genuinely quite stunned at how mellow he comes across. 

Not sure what to make of it all tbh. Thought it was worth sharing though, also yes I know I am a stalker for waiting for them

Well done braziliance - however the 2 questions i woukd  have asked  all of them is do they think we would be playing better with 2 up top and shy did he drop Louis Watson - they are the 2 main things that are his fault
    Apparently Louis Watson's dad was in the away end last night. Said there hadn't been any sort of fall out between him and Appleton
  • Sponsored links:

• Our season started and finished with Aneke's return/injury.
  • lonman said:
    Woke up this morning hoping MA had been shown the door, maybe too early in the morning as Scott and Methern are having a lay-in.

Don't see it happening, this will be a massive loss of face for Andy Scott. We will have to flirt with relegation before he pulls the trigger again. Let's be honest though everyone saying give the guy a window, it's not him that's making any of the signings. Andy Scott signs them and who ever the manager is plays them.
    This. Appleton even says ‘I’m told there will be signings’ 

• Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
  • Appleton has had plenty of time to motivate the players and install into them some defensive discipline. He has failed on both counts. He then stands on the touchline for 90 plus minutes, hands in pockets, without saying a word. In my opinion he really is clueless. It’s reached the point now when there really is no way back for him. For me it’s not a question of if he goes but when.

And when would be now. If we are recruiting players to play a certain system, as seems to be the case, then changing manager shouldn’t be a big issue, you just employ one who will play that system too. It shouldn’t hinder signings and we need to get the right manager in place and use this window and the summer one to assemble a squad capable of mounting a serious challenge next season.

The fly in this ointment is whether we can trust Scott to bring in players of the right quality and mentality to do just that. At the moment the jury is well and truly out on that front, but not on Appleton.
  • Brown59 said:
    Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
    I'm friends with a few Peterborough fans and all say they will drive him to The Valley themselves. They think he's lazy and has a bad attitude and hasn't got in the side for weeks now. Not exactly the kind of player we need. 
  • Brown59 said:
    Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
    I'm friends with a few Peterborough fans and all say they will drive him to The Valley themselves. They think he's lazy and has a bad attitude and hasn't got in the side for weeks now. Not exactly the kind of player we need. 
    Scored twice last night?
  • Sponsored links:

• Appleton is a complete numpty continuing with the same formation & playing May wide.

Cant be arsed to turn up anymore if the players, manager and owners can’t be arsed to do the right thing.

Another season of crap.
  • Those players aren’t sleeping for a week , they’ll be peering out from behind their curtains each night wondering if that fruitbat is out there 
    I needed answers mate. They can expect to see me again on Monday if we concede late again 😂

Deffo the weirdest thing I've done as a fan, no doubt in my mind.
    I don't think it's weird, fair play to you.
    Well that confirms it as weird ✅
  • Not trying to defend (same as our players) them, but how far offside was Martin...
    How in the name of God does the linesman not see that? 
  • edited December 2023
    Not trying to defend (same as our players) them, but how far offside was Martin...
    How in the name of God does the linesman not see that? 
    Think it was close, maybe just off, but a catalogue of errors all over the place, and Jones was just watching the ball go past him to the unmarked Martin, when it just needed booting into row Z...lot's to blame with that goal...
  • Can we get two squads for next season , this one for the papa Bristol street johnnys trophy and a real one for the league and other cups with players that can play football 
  • I get the "fatigue" comment in relation to CBT. I would think he's played many more minutes than in previous seasons, when he was either routinely subbed on 60 mins or just plain out-injured. I can also understand why he is left on even if he is struggling because he's one of our few attacking threats.

If Fraser is fatigued, then MA could have used Watson as a starter recently. 

The defenders can't be fatigued, unless MA means mentally shot.