Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Friday 29th December 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• edited December 2023
    Well I blame wearing a black kit...
    Careful. Not sure why you are blaming, or specifically referencing, the colour of the kit.

I read yesterday, on here, that ;

"Bullying because of an intrinsic characteristic is wrong and that’s the only reason people do it - what else was the purpose of the original comment if it wasn’t to draw attention to, and denigrate, an intrinsic characteristic.

It’s a shame when people a) do it because they think it’s still funny and b) then when others seek to suggest it’s fine."

• JohnnyH2 said:
    No one going to comment on what Apples said to @Braziliance (well done btw)
    about ‘we need to move on, from Curbs’.

What a fecking cheek.
    Why are we still clinging on to the one fella who made our football team play some of the best football we’ve ever seen? Because since he went we’ve had a fecking load of two bit chancers bring in two bit managers who couldn’t care less because they get a pay out & then move on to another poor club desperate for success.

So with that in mind, you can fecking move on Mr Apples, you Stone Island miserable fecking useless tosser.

Rant over………for now.
    so glad you raised that, saw that last night and thought the same as you.  Shows what a prat he is.
    To be fair I think Henderson said that rather than Appleton.

Agree it was a crass, disrespectful thing to say though.
  • Brown59 said:
    Bedsaddick said:Definitely not who we want then. 
    Brown59 said:
    Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
    I'm friends with a few Peterborough fans and all say they will drive him to The Valley themselves. They think he's lazy and has a bad attitude and hasn't got in the side for weeks now. Not exactly the kind of player we need. 

I’ve just been told the other team in for Clarke Harris is Fleetwood so unless they are offering silly money it looks like he’s coming to us . What other reason would you move to Fleetwood? 
  • LenGlover said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    No one going to comment on what Apples said to @Braziliance (well done btw)

What a fecking cheek.
    Why are we still clinging on to the one fella who made our football team play some of the best football we’ve ever seen? Because since he went we’ve had a fecking load of two bit chancers bring in two bit managers who couldn’t care less because they get a pay out & then move on to another poor club desperate for success.

So with that in mind, you can fecking move on Mr Apples, you Stone Island miserable fecking useless tosser.

Rant over………for now.
    so glad you raised that, saw that last night and thought the same as you.  Shows what a prat he is.
    To be fair I think Henderson said that rather than Appleton.

Agree it was a crass, disrespectful thing to say though.
    Just reread it.

The conversation was with Henderson as I thought but APPLETON 'chimed in' with the Curbs comment.

Tosser!
  • Brown59 said:
    Brown59 said:
    Johnson-Clarke- Harris to Charlton. Don’t make me laugh why would he come to Charlton when Wrexham are after him as well with double the money we can offer. I’m sure our new signings ( if any which I doubt) will save the day.Not  this season anyway. We’re slowly sinking. 
    I'm friends with a few Peterborough fans and all say they will drive him to The Valley themselves. They think he's lazy and has a bad attitude and hasn't got in the side for weeks now. Not exactly the kind of player we need. 

I’ve just been told the other team in for Clarke Harris is Fleetwood so unless they are offering silly money it looks like he’s coming to us . What other reason would you move to Fleetwood? 
    If those are his only options he might just opt to stay at Peterborough and move on a free in the summer. That would be the smart move 
  • I feel I must defend Appleton a bit here. Firstly, whilst it makes sense on one level to play May in his correct position, but we have seen that he can be smothered out of the game without support. The problem stems from the fact that most of our chances fall to him and CBT. The rest are f*ing soft passengers with no desire to get in the positions and make things happen. We see it in set pieces where not enough players want it enough. So stop him and CBT and generally you stop us

Yes, when we have Leaburn or Aneke we become more potent and more of a threat. Holden paid the price for having only May and when Appleton came in he suddenly had Leaburn and Aneke and results improved. The simple way to address it is to make the midfield more competetive. League one teams are winning too much second ball and generally bullying us and it is probably more important at this stage to give some back to them, refs at this level allow a lot of fouls, than play fancy football unless ideally those that play the fancy football have some bite to them. Stevenage are doing well despite liited resources because Evans is a no nonsense win at all costs manager.

I think our full backs are too soft too. If you look carefully, we do have more skill than most of the teams we play. I appreciate you do have to look closely as it isn't always that evident. At this level most teams play the percentages. Very basic stuff. But if you are first to the ball and stronger, that is often enough. But it is no use having more talent if you don't do the running and help your teammates and bite into tackles. That is a League One minimum and we fall well short there. I can see our players trying to do this at times but it isn't their game and they can't sustain it. We are carrying too many of this soft type of player and the winning second ball issue goes well beyond this season.

Maybe part of the issue is we have too many young players. Those that played know that a hard team will often beat a more skillful fancy team. It isn't their fault they are young and it is probably a good education for them. T Campbell is a good example. Look at the goal yesterday, he was strong and did their defender for the goal. But you can see it doesn't come naturally and he has to lean it, and he will. Same with Anderson, trying to control the ball and the opponent just goes into him and he loses it. Similar with Kanu. It is for them a case of having to think about it rather than it come naturally at this stage in their careers and they don't have enough players around them compensating for it. Don't write them off, it will make them better players but the cost is a poor season. You can even see Leaburn learning when some limited thug of a defender can dominate him. All good learning but not good for winning games now.
    Great post Mutley ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• I just cannot believe what I have seen.A worst goal than the one against Orient.Just look where our defence is when one of two players 5 yards out puts the ball in from an unchallenged pass into the goal area..Hector is actually on the edge of the penalty area when they score, where is the urgency to get back and fill the area,CBT looks like he has nodded off.Would also point out this was Dobsons worst game in a Charlton shirt,his passing was hopeless.This is getting worse,but I dont see what Appleton can do when he is regularly let down by the players on the pitch,i wouldnt like to manage this lot.
    Fall on his very blunt sword is my answer to your question.

Sounds as though more Lifers are coming around to my way of thinking that MA must go before the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down. Not in the summer when "his" players might be stinking up the squad but NOW.

All these encouraging words from AS are just that ...words. I have little faith in him actually walking the walk. He states what he thinks we need to hear...

...but we don't suffer charlatans gladly at Charlton. We've learned from bitter experience.

Bring in a new broom . Pay over the odds if necessary. Then slowly but surely invest in HIS squad. 

Had a big discussion with our gang tonight pre match & it was clear that my train of thought didn't cut the mustard. 

But I stand by my words. 

Nathan Jones ia awaiting the call. 

If this series of non acceptable performances continues, we're going to be in brown smelly stuff before too long  and it could be all too late. 

It's 2am now, just home, & time to try to wipe the memory of yet another capitulation ...but it's getting harder match by match.  
    Then as is usual,the whole team goes walkabout during a free kick about 10 yards from our area.The manager can do nothing at the time to prevent this,this is totally down to the players to get themselves organised and see the danger out.
    But sorting yourself out for free kicks, and any set pieces, is exactly what you should be doing at training and drilling it into the players time after time. 

If Appleton is doing this and they’re still the rabble they are then it’s definitely on the players.
  • Brown59 said:
    Brown59 said:

He likes fish ?
  • BigDiddy said:
    Brown59 said:
    Brown59 said:

He likes fish ?

• Brown59 said:
    Brown59 said:

I recall Clarke Harris from his Rotherham days where he always ran hot and cold .. he's now a lot older, seemingly a bit wiser and his scoring record since moving to Bristol R then Posh is impressive, 99 goals from 191 games at last count, he was recalled this week and scored twice. I find it hard to believe that Posh would let him go unless he's got the right hump and/or has fallen out with the manager
    He COULD be a great foil for May, provided May doesn't move on the New Year and that Clarke Harris isn't immediately Charltonised. I would guess he needs very careful managing, but after all that is what modern managers have to do
  • BigDiddy said:
    fenaddick said:
    I mean we sort of do need to move on from Curbs. No one can dispute that he’s a legend or anything he’s done for the club but football has moved on. Not just from Curbs but from all the managers that were successful back then. How many of the Prem managers from say 2005 still have good managerial jobs? Won’t be many. Football has changed but lots of our fans can’t seem to accept that. Curbs and Brownie getting us play 442 would probably make things worse and we don’t need their legacies tarnished like that 
    True, but are you seriously suggesting that the managers we have had since Curbs reflect “progress”?

We fans are not pining for Curbs, but we do need a manager with his ability to mould  players into a squad that will fight for the badge.

Appleton has zero passion or inspiration - time to get rid.
    I’m not saying we’ve progressed, you’d have to be blind to think that. But there are people calling for Curbs, there’s a whole thread of them on this forum alone and every match there’s a massive chunk of people saying we should play 442 as if our midfield doesn’t get overwhelmed as it is. Appleton clearly isn’t the right guy but there are definitely people who are hung up on the past and need to realise that football has changed. 
  • fenaddick said:
    BigDiddy said:
    fenaddick said:
    I mean we sort of do need to move on from Curbs. No one can dispute that he’s a legend or anything he’s done for the club but football has moved on. Not just from Curbs but from all the managers that were successful back then. How many of the Prem managers from say 2005 still have good managerial jobs? Won’t be many. Football has changed but lots of our fans can’t seem to accept that. Curbs and Brownie getting us play 442 would probably make things worse and we don’t need their legacies tarnished like that 
    True, but are you seriously suggesting that the managers we have had since Curbs reflect “progress”?

We fans are not pining for Curbs, but we do need a manager with his ability to mould  players into a squad that will fight for the badge.

I’m not saying we’ve progressed, you’d have to be blind to think that. But there are people calling for Curbs, there’s a whole thread of them on this forum alone and every match there’s a massive chunk of people saying we should play 442 as if our midfield doesn’t get overwhelmed as it is. Appleton clearly isn’t the right guy but there are definitely people who are hung up on the past and need to realise that football has changed. 
    Appleton plays Dobbo and Fraser in a midfield 2 that gets overrun most weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    fenaddick said:
    BigDiddy said:
    fenaddick said:

Appleton plays Dobbo and Fraser in a midfield 2 that gets overrun most weeks
    yeah but in a 442 they’d be higher up the pitch and CBT would be expected to be defending along with any other modern day winger. hard to believe but it would be even less solid
  • Don’t think MA is all to blame and the reaction to him is more of a build up of frustration from the last 4 years. He deserves time he can only work with what he has and what he has is a squad full of youngsters and bottle jobs. He has been saying as much for weeks now. 

I hope he is given the players he wants January so he can start building a squad that lasts and does not have to throw in youngsters who are not good enough or ready. A big forward is a must as the system falls down without that has seen with chucks and leaburn missing. 

Think we are actually missing Connor mcgrandles as well to help Dobson out. Watson, Fraser and Anderson have failed.
  • Brown59 said:
    Brown59 said:

Golf.

Some of the golf courses around that area are top notch - Open standard. 

• I think whoever said about Curbs and 'needing to move on' doesn't know our history at all. Curbs had many abilities but I always recall that whenever we had a couple of defeats in a row he would then shore up the defence and get something out of the next game. Since he went we've had nobody that could do this. MA doesn't seem to have any man management skills and the way the players are set up and how they give away goals has been criminal recently.

These are meant to be professional footballers yet they seem incapable of playing with any heart. I can take most things but not trying is an act of treason and says feck you to the fans. 

As I said yesterday there is something truly smelly going on in the background and we need a complete haul over but with Buddies United running the show I doubt this will happen.

By the way I'd like to add my appreciation to Braziliance for his exce half season managerial report. To stay behind after a shocking performance and question the team was a good thing.

Yes, of course the players gave standard answers as did MA but make no mistake those questions will have made an impact on some that we ain't happy.

Of course some players will not give a feck but this Board of wannabe owners ought to realise that we can protest better than most and if they think a few boos is nothing to worry about then they really don't get it or us. 

I also think I'd rather move on a few people like Andy Pandy and Crappleton, not spend any money in this window and let Jason Pearce take over for the remainder of the season. 

Either way everything is very depressing. 

• No one going to comment on what Apples said to @Braziliance (well done btw)

What a fecking cheek.

Rant over………for now.
    That’s got me thinking, who was the last manager to get us promoted out of any league that was not a former Charlton player? 
  • edited December 2023
    If we are going to sack Appleton and bring in similar, it is probably best we keep Appleton and give him a chance to address the issues he claims to know are there. I am a great believer in that the root of solving any problem is understanding it and it is true some of the issues in the squad have been evident for years. I think it would be foolish too assume that because our season is over that the January window isn't important and I am fed up being told what a bad window it is. The summer one is difficult too FFS! We have to start building a promotion squad from here. What Powell did in a summer window was a bit of a miracle and maybe we need to maximise two windows to make it happen rather than one, although he did bring BWP in in January who was a key player. I would say May is a key player and we have to work out who the other players we can go forwards with are. This needs to be done ruthlessly, as Powell did.