Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 16th December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:

You can see clearly here the set up, and it’s the way pretty much every team defends a corner. 

One on the front post (Dobson)

3 Zonals - Watson (Front), Thomas (Middle), Hector (Back) 

Then everyone else picks up a man. 

If we put a man on the halfway line then the opponent will have 1 more player unmarked (they already have 1 on the GK) and I’d guess we’d concede even more. Cambridge have 2 back anyway (1 on the edge and another behind) so wouldn’t need to take one of their attackers out so us putting May on the halfway line would leave 2 unmarked attackers in the box, that’s too many. 
    But that would give us a two on two, so presumably the opponents would drop another player back?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'd want to see stats but I think that there are way fewer goals from corners now than there were 20 years ago? 
    Certainly from ours. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:

You can see clearly here the set up, and it’s the way pretty much every team defends a corner. 

If we put a man on the halfway line then the opponent will have 1 more player unmarked (they already have 1 on the GK) and I’d guess we’d concede even more. Cambridge have 2 back anyway (1 on the edge and another behind) so wouldn’t need to take one of their attackers out so us putting May on the halfway line would leave 2 unmarked attackers in the box, that’s too many. 
    But that would give us a two on two, so presumably the opponents would drop another player back?
    It would give us May against 2, Cambridge here have 2 back anyway (one on the edge and one out of sight) even though we have no one up there. If May goes up it will be 1v2. So May going up front would probably make the guy on the edge drop about 10 yards but would also mean there are now 2 unmarked attackers in the box 

Basically what I’m saying is having May forward would be great, but it would probably mean we are even worse at defending corners than we are already. So it’s probably not worth it 
  • Options
    Rude of you to use the one corner we've conceded from for about 20 games as the demonstration lol, we've obviously improved at defensive setpieces under Appleton 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Rude of you to use the one corner we've conceded from for about 20 games as the demonstration lol, we've obviously improved at defensive setpieces under Appleton 
    I’m not using it to say we are bad at them. Was using it to show why we don’t leave a player forward when defending corners. 

Chen Campbell losing his man and Terrel Thomas misjudging the flight of the ball are the reasons we conceded. Nothing wrong with our set up, could just do with a few more taller players 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    I’m not using it to say we are bad at them. Was using it to show why we don’t leave a player forward when defending corners. 

Chen Campbell losing his man and Terrel Thomas misjudging the flight of the ball are the reasons we conceded. Nothing wrong with our set up, could just do with a few more taller players 
    No I know, I was 'being funny' as usual
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:

It would give us May against 2, Cambridge here have 2 back anyway (one on the edge and one out of sight) even though we have no one up there. If May goes up it will be 1v2. So May going up front would probably make the guy on the edge drop about 10 yards but would also mean there are now 2 unmarked attackers in the box 

Basically what I’m saying is having May forward would be great, but it would probably mean we are even worse at defending corners than we are already. So it’s probably not worth it 
    Oh, ok, I meant May plus CBT might occupy three of their players. Otherwise the two v. two would very much be in our favour. 
  • Options
    PWR.

Whatever way you look at the images, we’ve been “done” by referees in consecutive games and that has cost us 4 points. It’s unacceptable. Someone has to be accountable for that. Time for VAR in all of the four league’s, given the amount of money at stake. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    PWR.

Whatever way you look at the images, we’ve been “done” by referees in consecutive games and that has cost us 4 points. It’s unacceptable. Someone has to be accountable for that. Time for VAR in all of the four league’s, given the amount of money at stake. 
    I’d rather get screwed by refs every week than have our games ruined by VAR

Have you seen what the prem officials are like with it? Imagine that with league 1! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    PWR.

I’d rather get screwed by refs every week than have our games ruined by VAR

Have you seen what the prem officials are like with it? Imagine that with league 1! 
    An argument for another thread but no-one should let a bad run of refereeing decisions lull them into thinking VAR is the answer.

I go to the occasional Premier League game. VAR is the worst thing to happen to the matchday experience since that pint I had at Chelsea. It is a succubus.