Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 16th December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Charlton started both half’s brightly, passing and moving with ease around Barnsley for twenty minute spells in each half, but unable to make any kind of breakthrough from the good passages of play. Barnsley didn’t play much expansive football, but they did create chances on the break and from set pieces, which made them effective. Ashley Maynard-Brewer made a couple of top shelf saves, which limited that effectiveness and kept us in it.

On 23 mins Barnsley broke through in bizarre fashion, as Kane—himself on the ground and off the pitch—stuck out a leg and flicked the ball around Dobson, who was attempting to see the ball out of play. Dobson stopped with the ball looking decidedly over the line, but the officials allowed play to go on and that led to a goal. Charlton were irate, with Apples collecting himself a yellow card. 

Charlton leveled on 70 minutes through Corey Blackett-Taylor bursting into the box and rifling home from ten yards, centre to goal. Otherwise, it was a battling, hard-won-point against poor officiating and more-than-brisk northern conditions.

We’re nine points out of playoff contention and not looking like making up the necessary ground to be competitive. That could change in January, but are we confident that’s likely, based on history and the available evidence?

Barnsley 1 Charlton 1
Over to you, ya filthy animals!

Comments

• Options
    We only get shit refs.
  • Options
    We only get shit refs.
    That’s League 1 for you.
  • Options
    thought Kanu looked good when he came on and C Campbell seemed busy but lacking end product today
  • Options
    That Barnsley home kit is shocking. What’s the story with the big sheriff’s badges?
  • Options
    Decent performance but after dropping points against teams at the bottom it’s even more important to beat teams above us. 9 points offplayoffs. 
  • Options
    Difficult to play against 12 men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very close to it being a nothing season and falling behind the playoff pack soon unless we put a good run together.
  • Options
    We played well, controlled long periods of the game but at times just didn’t have a cutting edge. 

Ref had a shocker, but play to the whistle. Even in Sunday league it’s the first thing your taught. 

Personally would rather Louie than Fraser. Think he gets about quicker and would of made us more dangerous when breaking today.
    agreed 

• Options
    Overall it was a good performance, but we were undone, yet again, by a terrible refereeing decision, however I still maintain Dobbo should've dumped the ball in Row Z, you play until the whistle.
    Leaving that to one side, we played some nice football and should've won if we had been a bit more clinical. CBT was causing them all sorts of problems and C Campbell had his best game for us, I don't think Tedic is the answer though!
    6 games without losing, but too many draws! Can we make it to the play-offs? I think it depends on whether MA is supported in January by the owners. If he is, then yes we have a chance, if not, then simply 'No'.
    Over to you Charlie boy!!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    1-1 could have been a fair result, if they had scored a legal goal, which they failed to do...
    CBT came up with "the winner" but in the context of this match it was an equaliser, Dobson was immense at times, Fraser was...well Fraser,🤷‍♂️, the rest of them all played their part in difficult conditions, and yes I can see the frustration on Apples face at the ineptitude shown by the guys who are supposed to ensure fair play, I mean, the fourth official, does he have replays in the dugout to refer too, isn't that part of his remit?... we could go on all day... and still it would be a point gained, but also two lost,,,
    On to Burton we go next Saturday, and Apples...PLEASE PLAY KANU from the off, and give Fraser the day off...🤦‍♂️

• Options
    I said to my mate when I saw the line up that Appleton was mad to select Tedic over Kanu. I stick to my view that he is absolutely useless - its like playing with 10 men 
  • Options
    Kanu is growing into a useful player. It should be a no brainer now to play him.
  • Options
    I didn't watch the game but pleased with the draw after this on the match preview

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good performance, middling result. To be honest I’m worried more CN about performances than results right now because if you play well most weeks then results, eventually, will take care of themselves. But for bad refereeing calls in the last two games we might be 4 points better off. I think with less injuries and a stronger bench we might have gone on to win today as well. 

Something to build on but will we do so?
  • Options
    Need to turn draws into wins. 4 draws in last 5 games.

Keep losing ground on the teams above us.
    And people keep saying that Appleton's doing ok as we aren't losing games.

If we had lost 2 & won 2 of those 4 drawn games we'd have 6 points instead of 4. It's not how many you don't lose its how many you win. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    'We created numerous opportunities and had them on the back foot for a lot of the game.' 💬 

Michael Appleton reflects on today's draw at Barnsley 🗣️

#cafc

https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1736078470780784796?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
  • Options
    Decent point, with a bit more umph up front we could have won that.  I do enjoy people criticising CBT for his attitude or end product, his figures this season for a winger are very good.
  • Options
    Massively missing Miles and Chuks up front, and Jones is a major loss too. 

IF we had won last week, as we should have, then a point today would have been a good result, though based on today, Barnsley look nothing special.

Worth giving Tedic another (dare I say final) go as we have so few options up front, but Kanu has to be ahead of him now. 
  • Options
    Very close to it being a nothing season and falling behind the playoff pack soon unless we put a good run together.
    Our next run of games involve teams around or below us (apart from Oxford, but they are falling down the table). To be anywhere near the play offs we need to be winning at least 3 of the next 5 games. Preferably 4 of them. That will also put distance between us & B Rovers.

If not sadly we will be no further forward and likely to be further behind the pack. 
  • Options
    Massively missing Miles and Chuks up front, and Jones is a major loss too. 

IF we had won last week, as we should have, then a point today would have been a good result, though based on today, Barnsley look nothing special.

Worth giving Tedic another (dare I say final) go as we have so few options up front, but Kanu has to be ahead of him now. 
    We are still hopless at set pieces. This has to be addressed.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Apart from Wigan it was our best performance away from home. Tedic was the only player who was disappointing but that's nothing new.  Robbed by the ref who should be demoted to non league but i'm not sure why they deserve him either. 
    Edun was like the Duracell bunny and had a great game as did CBT. 
    Keep playing like that then the draws will turn into wins but that has to happen soon. 
  • Options
    I thought our second penalty against Cheltenham was a decision that went in our favour and I know I’d have thought it utter shit if given against us