Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 16th December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    I'm waiting for a ref to make a mistake for us that they do so reliably against us!
    I think this may be because like some other teams we are not continually moaning to the referee. I don't like the teams that do, but I suspect they do because they know that it gives them an advantage. Perhaps we could get Pearce to give some coaching to the first team on the dark arts?

• Options
    This is where hawkeye will eventually come in, at least down to the EFL, as the only way to be 100% certain whether the ball is in or out is via an overhead tracking camera, along the goalline and indeed touchlines. And it has to be 100% of a round object out of play, and there will be occasions as with the Japan goal at the WC that a miniscule part of the ball is in when the naked eye thinks the ball is totally out.

I thought the ball was out, but the TV pictures aren't 100% conclusive evidence that it was, so the 4th official couldn't overrule the ref in this case.
  • Options
    We seem to have a theme, where people are criticizing Apples for bringing on attacking players at the end of the game. 

Given where we are in the table, should we be defending the point(which we’ve been largely poor at), or go for the win? A few more draws and they’ll be no chance of reaching the top 6. It will be difficult enough now. 
  • Options
    This is where hawkeye will eventually come in, at least down to the EFL, as the only way to be 100% certain whether the ball is in or out is via an overhead tracking camera, along the goalline and indeed touchlines. And it has to be 100% of a round object out of play, and there will be occasions as with the Japan goal at the WC that a miniscule part of the ball is in when the naked eye thinks the ball is totally out.

I thought the ball was out, but the TV pictures aren't 100% conclusive evidence that it was, so the 4th official couldn't overrule the ref in this case.
    Really?
    And why do you believe the 4th official would intervene? Where have you learnt that they do this? 
  • Options
    Expected a narrow defeat, secured a draw and battled well. Dobbo’s character shone through, could have easily crumbled while Fraser is very sadly adding little at the moment. Kanu changed the tempo of our attacks when he came on. Ash pulled off some great saves. Sky at sunset over Oakwell just pipped by CBT’s equaliser. Win next - absolutely necessary to try to close the current gap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2023
    I thought we played well today and we should have won. But, we didn’t. We never really tested their keeper though and that was the main problem. Our midfield is pretty woeful in that regard (more specifically Fraser). I don’t really see what he gives us any more. May is such a good player but today he didn’t really get into the game. I’d like to say he shouldn’t be playing out wide but you can’t argue with his goal tally. Something is working but not today. And, the ref gave them their goal. What a woeful performance from him. 
    A frustrating game. Just about sums up our season really. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    LenGlover said:
    PWR.

A well earned away point, given that we came back from being behind, which is always good.

I know a number of posters are pretty hot on statistics. I have a hunch that when Corey-Blackett-Taylor scores for us his goal (s) earn us either a point (today for instance) or three points. In other words his goals tend to be important. Am I right or wrong in that opinion Stattos?

Come On You Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    His goals alone have directly won us 6 points more than we would’ve without them this season.

His assists alone have directly won us 5 points more than we would’ve without them.

13 goal contributions in 20 league games sees us with an additional 11 points. That’s just direct and not what else he has added to the team.

Sure, someone else would have played. However, none of them have shown anything like his quality and not on anywhere near a consistent basis. So the likelihood is, we would be 11 points worse off. We’d be in the midst of a relegation dogfight.

Quite simply, think it’s mental anyone who is okay with the idea of him leaving in January.
    If our season is over, which it might be, then I’d rather get a fee for him than lose him for free. If we are still in with a chance of play offs then it would be silly to get rid 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    LenGlover said:
    PWR.

A well earned away point, given that we came back from being behind, which is always good.

I know a number of posters are pretty hot on statistics. I have a hunch that when Corey-Blackett-Taylor scores for us his goal (s) earn us either a point (today for instance) or three points. In other words his goals tend to be important. Am I right or wrong in that opinion Stattos?

His goals alone have directly won us 6 points more than we would’ve without them this season.

His assists alone have directly won us 5 points more than we would’ve without them.

13 goal contributions in 20 league games sees us with an additional 11 points. That’s just direct and not what else he has added to the team.

Sure, someone else would have played. However, none of them have shown anything like his quality and not on anywhere near a consistent basis. So the likelihood is, we would be 11 points worse off. We’d be in the midst of a relegation dogfight.

Quite simply, think it’s mental anyone who is okay with the idea of him leaving in January.
    If our season is over, which it might be, then I’d rather get a fee for him than lose him for free. If we are still in with a chance of play offs then it would be silly to get rid 
    We have 26 games left. If we manage to get 7 points between now January 1st, our season is very much alive. 35 points with 23 to go, we would feel we could get play-offs, for sure.

Why throw away any hope of success just to get a small fee for him when we won’t be able to replace that quality he has at this level, not in January at least?

If he stays, and we bring in some decent players in January, there’s an outside chance we sneak play-offs and he could be a Championship player with us next season instead. However unlikely that is right now.

Think it would be a complete waste letting him go when he’s so key to us. We’ll get offers for him, but they’re not going to be much when he’s out of contract in the summer.

If he had 18 months left, sure I’d completely understand that we’re more likely to sell because we’d get a better fee that we could do something with.

My opinion is in this situation, you keep him and give yourselves the best chance possible of any form of play-off hopes.
    I don’t disagree with you, but I’m also not that confident we will pick up 7 points between now and then. We are looking very thin on the ground at the moment and 4 games in 9 days is exactly what we don’t need. Probably be 5 games from now until we have any new players in and I think we will slip too far away in that time. Hope I’m wrong though 

We are 9 points off now, surely if it gets to 15-20 points  and we are in January we should just take the fee, might get a few hundred grand for him that we can use to spend on a player 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Genuinely believe if we had a proper decent striker to play as the 9 that Appleton wants in the last few games, we would have won at Carlisle, won at home by a comfortable margin against Cambridge, and won today.

May and Blackett-Taylor have score 22 league goals between them, 15 and 7. The next behind them is Leaburn on 3 and he’s out for practically the rest of the season.

Not enough players are chipping in, nowhere near, but not enough quality is in that central striker position that Appleton clearly wants.

It’s clear we’ve missed Aneke and his presence and I hope he’s back soon, especially as he’s been outside on the grass for over a week.

However, I think this highlights how important Blackett-Taylor is to us this season and it would be ludicrous letting him go in January unless he came to the club and said he wants to leave. Let him go in the summer if that he doesn’t want to sign a new deal. If we lose him, we lose any tiny bit of hope we might have to sneak top 6 because the service will dry up further and the pressure on May will become far too much.

We all know we have huge issues defensively where we seem completely incapable of keeping a clean sheet. 3 all season at this level is quite simply a disgrace. But we are also in such desperate need up top that we aren’t winning enough games because of the lack of quality in that central role as well.

If we manage to beat Burton at home next week and get a result at Orient on Boxing Day, it will set us up for what’s needing to be the best and biggest January window we may have ever had.
    Agreed. I disagreed with Curb's thoughts after the game, as it missed another scenario, which is that both CBT and Dobbo aren't signing new contracts because they want to see in what division we're playing in next season. Indeed if I was them, I wouldn't sign a new Charlton contract at the moment.

Get promoted, and they might choose to stay. After all if the offers are from other "struggling" Championship sides, then staying here might be a more attractive option. It's not as if in January the likes of Leeds or Leicester will be after them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Sage said:
    LenGlover said:
    PWR.

And what sort of fee are we going to get when he's out of contract in the summer  ??  £250k  ??  Supposedly the owners earn that in interest overnight. 

To US he is more important THIS SEASON. If he leaves in January without a similar replacement (which for a players with 7 goals & around the same number if assists is going to cost well over the £250k we'd get for him) then we could well get dragged into a relegation scrap. As the figures above show, without him we'd be in one already. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The only person is the world who’ll know for sure whether it was actually in or out is George Dobson.

Unfortunately the incident happened about 30 yards from the nearest official so I’m surprised nothing was given when the ball was that close to being in or out.

It’s super duper nit pick because he’s done his job (assuming it did go out) but hopefully next time Dobbo will be shepherding the ball out of play until there is absolutely no question that it’s out. His only fault, if you can call it that, was leaving it too fine.