Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 16th December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Long balls to wide players is the latest fashion all over the place, as is surging runs from centre halves because they can usually make a lot of ground unopposed.
    Which is fine, when we have the players that suit that system, I think Corey suits it and tbf to May, he actually does seem to be able to make something happen with the ball on the right with his runs.

Unfortunately May seems a bit wasted there as we know he's our best instinctive finisher and we don't have a target man. 

We have the ball so much at times just outside the box but never seem to have a physical presence to send the ball to or a player to find a pass. It's usually Corey cutting in and getting a shot off. If he's off the boil we really struggle 
    Is he wasted out there? Be interesting to see what his goal return is when playing as the ‘CF’ compared to out on the right or as a ‘10’.
    Wonder not friend, transfermarkt has us covered. 

From 4 starts in the right wing position in the league May has produced 4 goals, however, two of those have been penalties and the other two did not come from the right wing position.  Two penalties against Cheltenham and of course the brace against Wigan, one goal from a cross from the right hand side and the other where he ran through the middle. 

This is where as much as I love player stats, they don't paint the full picture. He is very effective out wide as he has the pace and his ball control is quite underrated imo, he also tracks back, but, it's ridiculous imo to have someone who puts up the goal numbers he does out wide. 

Starts as a center forward, 11, goals: 8

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Long balls to wide players is the latest fashion all over the place, as is surging runs from centre halves because they can usually make a lot of ground unopposed.
    Which is fine, when we have the players that suit that system, I think Corey suits it and tbf to May, he actually does seem to be able to make something happen with the ball on the right with his runs.

Unfortunately May seems a bit wasted there as we know he's our best instinctive finisher and we don't have a target man. 

We have the ball so much at times just outside the box but never seem to have a physical presence to send the ball to or a player to find a pass. It's usually Corey cutting in and getting a shot off. If he's off the boil we really struggle 
    Is he wasted out there? Be interesting to see what his goal return is when playing as the ‘CF’ compared to out on the right or as a ‘10’.

By my calculations/memory it is:

Striker - 2 goals - Fleetwood, Oxford

RW - 2 goals - Portsmouth, Cambridge

10 - 7 goals - Wigan (2) Lincoln, Blackpool, Reading, Exeter (2)

Penalties - 4

Would be interesting to see a minutes per goal breakdown but considering he moves position 2 or 3 times a game sometimes I think that’s going to be difficult to work out. Personally I think we need him in the 10 for him to work best in Appletons system 

• Options
    I notice that at opposition corners all our players are defending, from my simple mind wouldn't it be better to place May up field as it will keep defenders back and give us an attacking option 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

From 4 starts in the right wing position in the league May has produced 4 goals, however, two of those have been penalties and the other two did not come from the right wing position.  Two penalties against Cheltenham and of course the brace against Wigan, one goal from a cross from the right hand side and the other where he ran through the middle. 

This is where as much as I love player stats, they don't paint the full picture. He is very effective out wide as he has the pace and his ball control is quite underrated imo, he also tracks back, but, it's ridiculous imo to have someone who puts up the goal numbers he does out wide. 

Don’t think that can be relied on at all as that’s just his starting position and very often he is moved. At Wigan he started on the right wing, then Camara went off injured and TC came on to the right wing and then May scored his 2 goals from the 10. And thats just 1 example 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:

Don’t think that can be relied on at all as that’s just his starting position and very often he is moved. At Wigan he started on the right wing, then Camara went off injured and TC came on to the right wing and then May scored his 2 goals from the 10. And thats just 1 example 
    He's not a 10/second striker though, I know he scores from there (because he's brillaint) but he doesn't offer what a playmaker is meant to on a consistent basis, create goal scoring opportunities. His goals are coming from beinf in the right place at the right time. His strengths are his work rates, his timing and his persistence along with some high class finishing. If we as a club, can't utilise that then it's very concerning. He's playing there to accommodate other weak links in the team, not because he's wanted there I reckon.

Imagine if a club like Oxford or Derby had him, they'd be at least 10 points better off as they're both missing an out-and-out striker.

He's the main man, he needs someone to play behind him who can find his runs or a strike partner to feed off. Only Dobson really attempts to pass into the space where he runs, sometimes Watson too but Apples has dropped him for whatever reason.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:

Cambridge was the same as well, started off as CF first half, and he and the whole team looked ineffective. But moved to RW at the start of the second when he scored his goal.

In the game against Exeter when he scored 2 it’s when we played a rare 4-4-2 and he had someone up top with him. 

Indeed I’m pretty sure that’s happened quite often this year. As I mentioned in the match thread, and not in defence of Tedic, but on the whole whenever we play that one up top - we often seem to leave the CF isolated and rarely ever put in a decent ball for them.

It’s why I can see 3-5-2 being an appealing formation for us, but we seem to suck at that more than having 1 up top ha ha. 
  • Options
    Appleton is never going to stray from his formation so it's all moot really. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don't think that's conclusive at all. 
    it is for me and was when watching on tv yesterday - case closed - officiating error - again
    Agreed, Dobson head is directly over the ball. He knew the ball was out
    You can’t possibly know from that photograph that the ball was out or Dobsons head was over it. It’s just not possible.
    i can guarantee you that ball was out - i watched it on tv and could see it as clear as day and anybody who watches a replay will come to the same conclusion - we don't need forensic evidence - it was probably 10 inches or so over the line - its one of those things - linesman's view was possibly blocked and ref wasn't up with play but it was 100% out of play and yes i know all about the whole ball and bits of it hanging over and all that nonsense, partly coz i'm linesman every week for my son's team so make sure i know what the rules are and have kids stretching it to the limit every week when taking a corner - why on earth they think nicking 2 inches is going to make any difference i really don't know and normally turn a blind eye but there is a whole load of difference between that and being circa 10 inches out. 
    No way was that 10 inches out. The near edge of the ball would have been very near the line, so either fractionally in, or at most an inch out.
    Apples said it was a yard out which is OTT - 10 inches feels about right as the actress said to the …
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

it is for me and was when watching on tv yesterday - case closed - officiating error - again
    You can’t possibly know from that photograph that the ball was out or Dobsons head was over it. It’s just not possible.
    i can guarantee you that ball was out - i watched it on tv and could see it as clear as day and anybody who watches a replay will come to the same conclusion - we don't need forensic evidence - it was probably 10 inches or so over the line - its one of those things - linesman's view was possibly blocked and ref wasn't up with play but it was 100% out of play and yes i know all about the whole ball and bits of it hanging over and all that nonsense, partly coz i'm linesman every week for my son's team so make sure i know what the rules are and have kids stretching it to the limit every week when taking a corner - why on earth they think nicking 2 inches is going to make any difference i really don't know and normally turn a blind eye but there is a whole load of difference between that and being circa 10 inches out. 
    No way was that 10 inches out. The near edge of the ball would have been very near the line, so either fractionally in, or at most an inch out.
    Apples said it was a yard out which is OTT - 10 inches feels about right as the actress said to the …
    Do you have any idea how long 10 inches is? If out at all, which no one has yet been able to prove, then we’d be talking an inch at most.
  • Options
    I think all this discussion does is show what we should be prioritising for our January transfer budget - the cloning of Alfie May! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:

He's not a 10/second striker though, I know he scores from there (because he's brillaint) but he doesn't offer what a playmaker is meant to on a consistent basis, create goal scoring opportunities. His goals are coming from beinf in the right place at the right time. His strengths are his work rates, his timing and his persistence along with some high class finishing. If we as a club, can't utilise that then it's very concerning. He's playing there to accommodate other weak links in the team, not because he's wanted there I reckon.

Imagine if a club like Oxford or Derby had him, they'd be at least 10 points better off as they're both missing an out-and-out striker.

He's the main man, he needs someone to play behind him who can find his runs or a strike partner to feed off. Only Dobson really attempts to pass into the space where he runs, sometimes Watson too but Apples has dropped him for whatever reason.
    He’s not the main man though, he works best with a strike partner. Whenever he’s played as a striker for us, he and the team have looked worse. So as I said in Appletons system he is best in the 10

If it were up to me I’d be playing 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 and playing him in his actual best position but I don’t think Appleton will do that, so we should build around him being the 10 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:

Cambridge was the same as well, started off as CF first half, and he and the whole team looked ineffective. But moved to RW at the start of the second when he scored his goal.

In the game against Exeter when he scored 2 it’s when we played a rare 4-4-2 and he had someone up top with him. 

Indeed I’m pretty sure that’s happened quite often this year. As I mentioned in the match thread, and not in defence of Tedic, but on the whole whenever we play that one up top - we often seem to leave the CF isolated and rarely ever put in a decent ball for them.

It’s why I can see 3-5-2 being an appealing formation for us, but we seem to suck at that more than having 1 up top ha ha. 
    I’ve been banging the 3-5-2 drum all season, us having CBT is the argument against it (a pretty good argument tbf) but if he leaves I think it would be really silly of us to stick with Appleton’s current shape when we could instead pick a style/formation that gets the best out of our best player 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I keep hearing that Fraser is best at creating from midfield, so why does MA not play a three of Dobson and L Watson with Fraser as a number 10 in-between and in front of them, given more help to the defence? Sorry, I know someone else has probably already suggested this
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I keep hearing that Fraser is best at creating from midfield, so why does MA not play a three of Dobson and L Watson with Fraser as a number 10 in-between and in front of them, given more help to the defence? Sorry, I know someone else has probably already suggested this
    Fraser’s rubbish. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Do you have any idea how long 10 inches is? If out at all, which no one has yet been able to prove, then we’d be talking an inch at most.
    luckily i do   ;)

• Options
    edited December 2023
    ross1 said:
    What’s Fraser’s goals and assists record in the league so far this season? It’s zero, zero. 
    That’s a shocking stat for your main creative midfielder. 
    The January window provides the opportunity to sign better, something we need to do if we are to progress. 
  • Options
    I notice that at opposition corners all our players are defending, from my simple mind wouldn't it be better to place May up field as it will keep defenders back and give us an attacking option 
    one of the things that infuriates me more than anything....however many we leave up the oppo will always leave 1 more back. Why on earth we don't leave CBT hanging around the half way line for the quick clearance.

less bodies in the box surely makes it easier for the keeper to command and defenders to defend
  • Options
    one of the things that infuriates me more than anything....however many we leave up the oppo will always leave 1 more back. Why on earth we don't leave CBT hanging around the half way line for the quick clearance.

less bodies in the box surely makes it easier for the keeper to command and defenders to defend
    The modern way to defend a corner has 1 front post man, 3 zonal markers (biggest 3 players usually) and then the rest mark a man. If you don’t bring everyone back you end up with players unmarked because 4 of your players aren’t marking anyone 

Nearly every team sets up like this so I’d imagine there is some strong logic behind it. I’d rather have no one on the halfway line than leave players completely unmarked 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

The modern way to defend a corner has 1 front post man, 3 zonal markers (biggest 3 players usually) and then the rest mark a man. If you don’t bring everyone back you end up with players unmarked because 4 of your players aren’t marking anyone 

Nearly every team sets up like this so I’d imagine there is some strong logic behind it. I’d rather have no one on the halfway line than leave players completely unmarked 
    I would leave more than one at the halfway line - the ones that dont compete for headers. If you had three up there the oppo would have to drop at least the same number back - otherwise you are virtually guaranteed to score if you clear it quickly. Give the oppo something to think about 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:

I would leave more than one at the halfway line - the ones that dont compete for headers. If you had three up there the oppo would have to drop at least the same number back - otherwise you are virtually guaranteed to score if you clear it quickly. Give the oppo something to think about 
    Ironically I'm pretty sure May headed a corner clear at the weekend. Though I agree, I'd rather two or three were left up than none. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I seem to remember someone trying that in a World Cup some time ago, with some success, after getting battered at corners. Might even have been England? Was probably only two players rather than three though. 
  • Options
    I'd have CBT, if I left anybody up from a corner. Defensively he isn't much use and if you can get the ball to him, nobody catches him. May puts a shift in defensively which is too his credit.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

zonal marking is shit - pick a man, he's yours, just make sure you beat him to the ball
  • Options
    Stockley was great at defending corners, and all he did was get his head to the ball, he didn’t really mark anybody. 
  • Options
    I'd want to see stats but I think that there are way fewer goals from corners now than there were 20 years ago? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

zonal marking is shit - pick a man, he's yours, just make sure you beat him to the ball
    If it was shit then it probably wouldn’t be used by pretty much every team in the world at the top level. As said below, there are far fewer goals from corners nowadays so it’s clearly working pretty well. If we switched back to only man marking we’d concede a lot more, a mix is the best approach which is why every team does it 

I would leave May up for corners though, he has shown at Cheltenham he can score goals out of nothing punts forward. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Stockley was great at defending corners, and all he did was get his head to the ball, he didn’t really mark anybody. 
    He was always the front post zonal man, which is usually the big strikers job and Leaburn did the same for this season. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'd want to see stats but I think that there are way fewer goals from corners now than there were 20 years ago? 
    In 2017/8 I had a season ticket in West Upper, and there was a fella who used to shout “we never score from a corner!”, before every corner. We did eventually. 
  • Options

You can see clearly here the set up, and it’s the way pretty much every team defends a corner. 

One on the front post (Dobson)

3 Zonals - Watson (Front), Thomas (Middle), Hector (Back) 

Then everyone else picks up a man. 

If we put a man on the halfway line then the opponent will have 1 more player unmarked (they already have 1 on the GK) and I’d guess we’d concede even more. Cambridge have 2 back anyway (1 on the edge and another behind) so wouldn’t need to take one of their attackers out so us putting May on the halfway line would leave 2 unmarked attackers in the box, that’s too many. 

You could combine the front post and zonal front role and then use the spare man as an attacker to stand on halfway, but I don’t think our record defending corners is good enough to risk doing that