Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 16th December 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    As for CBT, I think he's off. Saw a couple of people on twitter say that they think he's staying as he tapped the badge, I personally think it's a bit out of character as I don't ever recall seeing him do that. 

I would say it leans more towards, 'I know I'm off, so I'm putting in 100% to leave on good terms' rather than he loves the club and he's staying.
    For a while now I thought he will be going in January but then he scored a goal or two more and that changes things. I think it’s now realistic that he could set a target of 20 goals for the whole season and get near to achieving it. If he manages that then any deal his agent can get him will be a lot better than the one if he moves on now. Personally, I think his best bet in those circumstances is to play out this season with Charlton and go for goals. 
    It is a great option for him, start week in week out and put yourself in the drivers seat for the summer window 

Or

Join a new club in January with a price tag, unsettled, no pre-season.

I know which one I'd prefer, unless the money upgrade was significant I'd be staying put, same as Dobson and then reasses at seasons end. 

Just like we want crap players contracts to run down, the harsh reality is, a good player may see the benefit in letting their contract run down at a club they may see as a stepping stone. 

Of course I hope they end up staying, just preparing myself for them to leave. 
  • Options
    As for CBT, I think he's off. Saw a couple of people on twitter say that they think he's staying as he tapped the badge, I personally think it's a bit out of character as I don't ever recall seeing him do that. 

I would say it leans more towards, 'I know I'm off, so I'm putting in 100% to leave on good terms' rather than he loves the club and he's staying.
    For a while now I thought he will be going in January but then he scored a goal or two more and that changes things. I think it’s now realistic that he could set a target of 20 goals for the whole season and get near to achieving it. If he manages that then any deal his agent can get him will be a lot better than the one if he moves on now. Personally, I think his best bet in those circumstances is to play out this season with Charlton and go for goals. 
    It is a great option for him, start week in week out and put yourself in the drivers seat for the summer window 

Or

Join a new club in January with a price tag, unsettled, no pre-season.

I know which one I'd prefer, unless the money upgrade was significant I'd be staying put, same as Dobson and then reasses at seasons end. 

Just like we want crap players contracts to run down, the harsh reality is, a good player may see the benefit in letting their contract run down at a club they may see as a stepping stone. 

Of course I hope they end up staying, just preparing myself for them to leave. 
    The money will probably be better if he goes in the summer. Clubs will give him a bigger signing on fee if he’s a free transfer. 

The only thing he might worry about is injury, Forster-Caskey would have left on a free at the end of 2020/21 but then got a huge injury, CBT might want to move now to avoid any risk of missing out on the big move.
  • Options
    Good game, just wish CBT would look to make a pass back across instead of taking on shots from really tight angles. That said love it when he runs at defenders. And he scored. As for the ball being out for Barnsley goal, it was my side and i was looking down and i wasnt sure, the far side lino had no chance to make the call and the ref not in the best position. But Dobbo stopped, and i think he expected a correct decision from the ref. 

First time to Barnsley, thought it was a great ground. The stewarding was a bit heavy handed when a lad got shown the door for trying to show the ref how wrong he had been. And a steward threw a ball into play when we were attacking.

Had a run in with a QPR knob on the train up at St Pancras, But when i said "boo" he wanted to be my mate. 
    Noisy on the way back, but chatting with some Rangers lads passed the time on the journey home.

Even booked Bristol R away.

PS EMR really are the worst train company i have ever come across.
    You obviously haven't Used Northern Rail. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don't think that's conclusive at all. 
    it is for me and was when watching on tv yesterday - case closed - officiating error - again
    Agreed, Dobson head is directly over the ball. He knew the ball was out
    You can’t possibly know from that photograph that the ball was out or Dobsons head was over it. It’s just not possible.
    And the officials were mikes away. 
    The officials are often “miles away” from decisions such as this. So that is when experienced/smart officials take into account the reactions of players near the incident. This is what they were all explaining in the studio yesterday, and not for the first time. If you have access to the playback of the entire game coverage it is worth at least viewing the post-match discussion. You know Curbs well enough to know that he’s not one for going overboard at referees compared with most of his peers. Listen to him. 
    In that case the reaction of the Barnsley player was to play on or are we not allowed to take his reaction into account?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

it is for me and was when watching on tv yesterday - case closed - officiating error - again
    You can’t possibly know from that photograph that the ball was out or Dobsons head was over it. It’s just not possible.
    The officials are often “miles away” from decisions such as this. So that is when experienced/smart officials take into account the reactions of players near the incident. This is what they were all explaining in the studio yesterday, and not for the first time. If you have access to the playback of the entire game coverage it is worth at least viewing the post-match discussion. You know Curbs well enough to know that he’s not one for going overboard at referees compared with most of his peers. Listen to him. 
    In that case the reaction of the Barnsley player was to play on or are we not allowed to take his reaction into account?

He was just trying it on,🤷‍♂️....🙄
  • Options
    In tough away matches, surely it would make more sense the fill the midfield by playing Watson alongside Dobson, and then either Fraser or Chem in the advanced role? There's no point picking Fraser to do the midfield donkey work.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:

He was just trying it on,🤷‍♂️....🙄
    Of course he was, the sporting term for it is gamesmanship or put more bluntly cheating! I’m no McEnroe but I was sat close enough to it to see that the ball was beyond the corner flag ‘The ball was OUT’! end of.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

i can guarantee you that ball was out - i watched it on tv and could see it as clear as day and anybody who watches a replay will come to the same conclusion - we don't need forensic evidence - it was probably 10 inches or so over the line - its one of those things - linesman's view was possibly blocked and ref wasn't up with play but it was 100% out of play and yes i know all about the whole ball and bits of it hanging over and all that nonsense, partly coz i'm linesman every week for my son's team so make sure i know what the rules are and have kids stretching it to the limit every week when taking a corner - why on earth they think nicking 2 inches is going to make any difference i really don't know and normally turn a blind eye but there is a whole load of difference between that and being circa 10 inches out. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Wonder if MA is in for some trouble for his post match comments. He stated that "It was not a mistake, as that is something you do by accident" or words to that effect. He was livid. 
    he was probably so incensed because he could probably see it with his own eyes from where he was it was that far out 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/help-manage/manage/make-a-delay-repay-claim

Don’t let EMR get away with that level of service yesterday 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/WEb8V0LgzyA?si=d-jJ7KvmY1HsEoR3

Barnsley vloggers pov of the game, nice lad Taylor and I happen to feature by chance in his vlog so thought I'd share it. 

They had so many chances and really didn't have their scoring boots on, was a very close game. Quite like the perspective pitch side on and that close 
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Barnsley vloggers pov of the game, nice lad Taylor and I happen to feature by chance in his vlog so thought I'd share it. 

They had so many chances and really didn't have their scoring boots on, was a very close game. Quite like the perspective pitch side on and that close 
    Good prediction Braz 1-1. 
    Don’t agree that it was a terrible away performance though, particularly in the first half. (Haven’t finished watching your video yet mind you). 
    We lost the midfield battle in the second half, and didn’t create enough chances :-(
  • Options

Subtitles encouraged!
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/help-manage/manage/make-a-delay-repay-claim

The ultimate Charlton Life post. Trains AND complaining, all in one place!
    Feckers, have not approved my claim stating it was not their train but Northern that was delayed. Assume they think the Sheffield to Barnsley leg forgetting Chesterfield was the problem delaying the EMR train, gotta now waste more of my time appealling!
  • Options
    Good away point but now 8 games this season with no wins against the sides currently above us 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

The ultimate Charlton Life post. Trains AND complaining, all in one place!
    Feckers, have not approved my claim stating it was not their train but Northern that was delayed. Assume they think the Sheffield to Barnsley leg forgetting Chesterfield was the problem delaying the EMR train, gotta now waste more of my time appealling!
    I had exactly the same experience with South Western Railways following the game with Gillingham.
    Our train from Bournemouth to Waterloo was over an hour late arriving.
    Submitted a delay repay to SWR, but they declined as my ticket was from Bournemouth to Gillingham.
    So I have had to appeal, logging all the onward journey to London Victoria and from there to Gillingham, even though that part was with a different rail company and we missed all the specified connections anyway 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Good away point but now 8 games this season with no wins against the sides currently above us 
    Lulling, or should that be Lolling ?, them into a false sense of security for when we stuff them in the reverse fixtures…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

i can guarantee you that ball was out - i watched it on tv and could see it as clear as day and anybody who watches a replay will come to the same conclusion - we don't need forensic evidence - it was probably 10 inches or so over the line - its one of those things - linesman's view was possibly blocked and ref wasn't up with play but it was 100% out of play and yes i know all about the whole ball and bits of it hanging over and all that nonsense, partly coz i'm linesman every week for my son's team so make sure i know what the rules are and have kids stretching it to the limit every week when taking a corner - why on earth they think nicking 2 inches is going to make any difference i really don't know and normally turn a blind eye but there is a whole load of difference between that and being circa 10 inches out. 
    No way was that 10 inches out. The near edge of the ball would have been very near the line, so either fractionally in, or at most an inch out.
  • Options
    I was at the game with a decent view of that corner but it was impossible to see if the ball was in/out tbh. My initial reaction was that Dobson was being way too casual and should have just gone safety first rather than trying to shield the ball out of play. Looking at the video it certainly looks off, but once he got caught out he kinda wanders off over the corner flag maybe to try and influence the ref? I don't think he was 100% sure himself. Either way just put it down to experience I guess. It was a very good team performance and we were maybe a little unlucky not to take all three points. COYA
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Was the Football in
    The Football out
    In out, In out shake it all about....
    Do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around
    That's what this thread's all about

Oooh the Hokey Cokey...
    Oooh the Hokey Cokey...
    Oooh the Hokey Cokey...

In out, In out Blah Blah Blah...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Options
    I've not watched the game, but according to the BBC stats we had only 3 fouls called against us, but 4 players booked, including AMB for dissent, but excluding Apples.

Is this some kind of record?

I know the ref wasn't rated highly, but do people think the bookings were justified and he let little fouls go, or did he give a card for every little foul?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    danny777 said:
    I've not watched the game, but according to the BBC stats we had only 3 fouls called against us, but 4 players booked, including AMB for dissent, but excluding Apples.

I know the ref wasn't rated highly, but do people think the bookings were justified and he let little fouls go, or did he give a card for every little foul?
     @lancashire lad, who I would trust over the BBC, has us down as 6 fouls against us, so there in lies the solution, probably more dissent bookings as well as AMB.
    As for the ref, he didn't know his arse from his elbow for most of the game...🙄
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Good prediction Braz 1-1. 
    Don’t agree that it was a terrible away performance though, particularly in the first half. (Haven’t finished watching your video yet mind you). 
    We lost the midfield battle in the second half, and didn’t create enough chances :-(
    First half it was imo, we started well and then completed faded. Most of our passes were long balls. Second half was a lot better though. Still a lot of long balls but the timing was better and we moved the ball a bit quicker. Just had no physical presence in the box to get on the end of the crosses.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Long balls to wide players is the latest fashion all over the place, as is surging runs from centre halves because they can usually make a lot of ground unopposed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Long balls to wide players is the latest fashion all over the place, as is surging runs from centre halves because they can usually make a lot of ground unopposed.
    Which is fine, when we have the players that suit that system, I think Corey suits it and tbf to May, he actually does seem to be able to make something happen with the ball on the right with his runs.

Unfortunately May seems a bit wasted there as we know he's our best instinctive finisher and we don't have a target man. 

We have the ball so much at times just outside the box but never seem to have a physical presence to send the ball to or a player to find a pass. It's usually Corey cutting in and getting a shot off. If he's off the boil we really struggle 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    danny777 said:

@lancashire lad, who I would trust over the BBC, has us down as 6 fouls against us, so there in lies the solution, probably more dissent bookings as well as AMB.
    As for the ref, he didn't know his arse from his elbow for most of the game...🙄
    according to the Press Association "commentary" we committed 6 fouls:
    Fraser 1 + yellow card
    Dobbo: 2
    Thomas: 1 + yellow card
    Edun: 1 + yellow card
    Kanu: 1
    and of course yellows for AMB and Apples for desent

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Which is fine, when we have the players that suit that system, I think Corey suits it and tbf to May, he actually does seem to be able to make something happen with the ball on the right with his runs.

Unfortunately May seems a bit wasted there as we know he's our best instinctive finisher and we don't have a target man. 

We have the ball so much at times just outside the box but never seem to have a physical presence to send the ball to or a player to find a pass. It's usually Corey cutting in and getting a shot off. If he's off the boil we really struggle 
    Is he wasted out there? Be interesting to see what his goal return is when playing as the ‘CF’ compared to out on the right or as a ‘10’.